17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: U.N.C.L.E
Oct 18, 2020, 20:57
Re: U.N.C.L.E Oct 18, 2020, 20:57
Oct 18, 2020, 20:57

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 19:32:
Work4Gil wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 18:02:
Also agree. My only complaint was "Where are all the cigarettes?" But I guess only old timers like me remember their incredible prevelance back then and what are you gonna do? Make the actors smoke? Imagine the Tweets!
I thought they had tech for that now? Could make it look like they are smoking when they really aren't?
I think for Mad Men, which was just 5 years ago, they smoked herbal cigarettes. The issue here would be sending a message to the PG-13 crowd that suave badasses smoke.

Oct 18, 2020, 19:32
Re: U.N.C.L.E Oct 18, 2020, 19:32
Oct 18, 2020, 19:32

Work4Gil wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 18:02:
Also agree. My only complaint was "Where are all the cigarettes?" But I guess only old timers like me remember their incredible prevelance back then and what are you gonna do? Make the actors smoke? Imagine the Tweets!
I thought they had tech for that now? Could make it look like they are smoking when they really aren't?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 18, 2020, 18:02
Re: U.N.C.L.E Oct 18, 2020, 18:02
Oct 18, 2020, 18:02

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 14:30:
Agree with you Blue. The Man from UNCLE was a welcome and surprisingly good movie. Just the right balance of stylish 60s action, fun and humor.

I have been using that movie as an example of why they should reboot the James Bond movie franchise as a 60s throw back. Despite the admirable job Daniel Craig has been doing, Bond just doesn't work in the modern era, not as originally envisioned by Ian Fleming. He's a misogynistic womanizing creature of the 60s.

A 60s James Bond reboot would be so cool. Think of the cars. The clothes. The gadgets. And Bond could be... Bond. Heck get Arnie Hammer to play Bond... UNCLE was practically a dry run for it.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 18, 2020, 11:08
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 11:08
Oct 18, 2020, 11:08
 Cutter

Simon Says wrote on Oct 18, 2020, 01:26:
Thanks for all the info... Sadly 2K Euro is a deal breaker for me and a giant ripoff considering it's just a simple electronic machine with probably no pricey parts in it, but looking forward to the democratization of the whole procedure.

That pill sounds awesome if true. Gonna note all of this info for future reference.

Cheers mate!

The machine isn't quite that simple, and the cost doesn't just cover the device but the time of the audiologists - doctors themselves - too. And they were doing R&D on this thing for years - that needs to be recouped and, ideally, make a profit. Plus it's new tech, as it rolls out and is more widely adopted the price will come down. They were hoping to get it into NA this year but like everything else it's been pushed back. And that's all time and money for governmental approval, marketing, etc.

Here's a link to what Dr. Shore is doing. Get on the mailing list to keep apprised of what's going on.
Michigan Tinnitus Device
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 18, 2020, 01:26
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2020, 01:26
Oct 18, 2020, 01:26

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 23:17:
I posted about Lenire here ages ago. I was supposed to go to Europe in the Spring, before the goddamned pandemic hit, to get one in Hannover. You need to be there for 6 weeks - check in once every 2 weeks so they can make adjustments to the device based on your feedback. You use it twice a day for 30 minutes a day.

They figured it out because neuromodulation - electrical stimulation - is done via the vagus nerve - which is the largest in your body - and it actually creates new neuroplasticity in the brain. And the loss of neuroplasticity in the brain is directly tied to tinnitus - as well as a host of other neurological conditions. The lack of neuroplasticity is what causes confusion in the brain over the loss of sound. So as everyone ages and you lose hearing in the upper registers your brain just lets it go - at least that's what it's supposed to do. Tinnitus is your brain not knowing how to let go, so it becomes a self-reinforced negative feedback loop. It's actually the DCN - dorsal cochlear nucleus - which is the hearing CPU in the brain causes noise with misfiring fusiform cells.

The Lenire device uses electrical stimulation to create the new neuroplasticity and sound program cycling through all sorts of noises used to retrain your brain, calm it the fuck down and let go of that missing noise. So far about a dozen or so people I know who have used it, 1 or 2 were cured entirely, most have seen - so far - permanent reductions in their noise in a very meaningful way, and few it didn't do jack for. So it's a crap shoot. And and expensive one at $2000 Euro. But definitely worth the gamble as anyone who has bad T knows.

And if that doesn't work Dr. Susan Shore's signal timing device is on track for next year at some point. This one I'm even more confident about than Lenire. It also uses a neuromodulation approach, but the signal timing delivers a series of low level microshocks every 5ms or so - as I recall - which is, apparently, supposed to force the DCN into resetting, just like a PC. And boom tinnitus is over.

And lastly FX322 is a new drug coming to market - not sure when exactly - that repairs sensorineural hearing loss. That's fucking huge! That's not just another possible cure for tinnitus, it's a cure for hearing loss entirely. Goodbye hearing aid industry. I'm going to look at buying their stock because it if works - and so far it looks on track to be - these guys are going to be swimming in vaults of money. So anyone looking for a potentially good investment check out Frequency Therapeutics.

Thanks for all the info... Sadly 2K Euro is a deal breaker for me and a giant ripoff considering it's just a simple electronic machine with probably no pricey parts in it, but looking forward to the democratization of the whole procedure.

That pill sounds awesome if true. Gonna note all of this info for future reference.

Cheers mate!

Oct 17, 2020, 23:17
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 23:17
Oct 17, 2020, 23:17
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 16:35:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 16:23:
Intrigued by this first allegedly working tinnitus treatment... I've had tinnitus for more than a decade.

I'd be thrilled to experience silence again for the first time in a long long time.
What a weird approach, would love to know how they figured this out...:
In the largest clinical trial of its kind, researchers show that combining sound and electrical stimulation of the tongue can significantly reduce tinnitus, commonly described as “ringing in the ears.”

I posted about Lenire here ages ago. I was supposed to go to Europe in the Spring, before the goddamned pandemic hit, to get one in Hannover. You need to be there for 6 weeks - check in once every 2 weeks so they can make adjustments to the device based on your feedback. You use it twice a day for 30 minutes a day.

They figured it out because neuromodulation - electrical stimulation - is done via the vagus nerve - which is the largest in your body - and it actually creates new neuroplasticity in the brain. And the loss of neuroplasticity in the brain is directly tied to tinnitus - as well as a host of other neurological conditions. The lack of neuroplasticity is what causes confusion in the brain over the loss of sound. So as everyone ages and you lose hearing in the upper registers your brain just lets it go - at least that's what it's supposed to do. Tinnitus is your brain not knowing how to let go, so it becomes a self-reinforced negative feedback loop. It's actually the DCN - dorsal cochlear nucleus - which is the hearing CPU in the brain causes noise with misfiring fusiform cells.

The Lenire device uses electrical stimulation to create the new neuroplasticity and sound program cycling through all sorts of noises used to retrain your brain, calm it the fuck down and let go of that missing noise. So far about a dozen or so people I know who have used it, 1 or 2 were cured entirely, most have seen - so far - permanent reductions in their noise in a very meaningful way, and few it didn't do jack for. So it's a crap shoot. And and expensive one at $2000 Euro. But definitely worth the gamble as anyone who has bad T knows.

And if that doesn't work Dr. Susan Shore's signal timing device is on track for next year at some point. This one I'm even more confident about than Lenire. It also uses a neuromodulation approach, but the signal timing delivers a series of low level microshocks every 5ms or so - as I recall - which is, apparently, supposed to force the DCN into resetting, just like a PC. And boom tinnitus is over.

And lastly FX322 is a new drug coming to market - not sure when exactly - that repairs sensorineural hearing loss. That's fucking huge! That's not just another possible cure for tinnitus, it's a cure for hearing loss entirely. Goodbye hearing aid industry. I'm going to look at buying their stock because it if works - and so far it looks on track to be - these guys are going to be swimming in vaults of money. So anyone looking for a potentially good investment check out Frequency Theraputics.

If we can get this goddamned pandemic under control I can my ass over to Europe and try this thing and if it's really all that and a bag of chips. Fingers crossed I can get over there in Spring now. Thing is, if I'm going to be there for 2 months I want to be hitting museums, etc. without having to book times and shit. The delay is good in one thing. When I go I'll definitely be heading to Egypt to check it out. And I've been super amped to check out the new Grand Egyptian Museum. So with the opening pushed back into this coming Spring, hopefully it'll be open by then. Maybe take me a cruise down the Nile, go see Abu Simbel and all that. Sweet. Then swing on over to Israel and get kosher! Oi vey!
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 17, 2020, 20:01
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 20:01
Oct 17, 2020, 20:01

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 19:47:
Funny story about Armie Hammer. He was in The Social Network as one of the supporting characters. When the movie was released, he went to various openings for Q & A. One woman said to him, "Armie, your acting was sooo great. You played that character perfectly and so believable. But your brother's acting was terrible and completely unbelievable." In The Social Network, Armie played the Winklevoss twins. Laugh2
Wait, both twins are played by the same actor? Huh. Well they did a great job on the editing, I never noticed anything. I might have to watch the film again just to see it with that in mind...

Edit: The IMDB entry oddly has Armie as both Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss but also lists Josh Pence as Tyler Winklevoss. Ahh, the wiki indicates Josh was the body double for Armie.

Oct 17, 2020, 20:00
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 20:00
Oct 17, 2020, 20:00
 Prez

An actor wants another massive paycheck? Be still my wee lil' heart.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 17, 2020, 19:51
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 19:51
Oct 17, 2020, 19:51

Jivaro wrote on Oct 17, 2020, 17:05:
Intrigued by this first allegedly working tinnitus treatment... I've had tinnitus for more than a decade.

I'd be thrilled to experience silence again for the first time in a long long time.
In the largest clinical trial of its kind, researchers show that combining sound and electrical stimulation of the tongue can significantly reduce tinnitus, commonly described as “ringing in the ears.”

I have a device in my spinal column that delivers a set program of electrical pulses into my spinal cord to block pain from severely damaged nerves further down my spine. No idea how they figured out where to connect the wires. Works great though. I probably don't want to know what was involved in the trial and error part.

Little do you know that you were part of that trial and error. They just used electro-cranial stimulation to erase those painful memories.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 17, 2020, 19:47
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 19:47
Oct 17, 2020, 19:47

Funny story about Armie Hammer. He was in The Social Network as one of the supporting characters. When the movie was released, he went to various openings for Q & A. One woman said to him, "Armie, your acting was sooo great. You played that character perfectly and so believable. But your brother's acting was terrible and completely unbelievable." In The Social Network, Armie played the Winklevoss twins. Laugh2
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 17, 2020, 19:43
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 19:43
Oct 17, 2020, 19:43

I imagine a lot of cannabis was involved:
"Doooood, what would happen if we played this sound with electrodes on our tongues?"
"Dude! No idea, let's find out!"

Oct 17, 2020, 17:58
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 17:58
Oct 17, 2020, 17:58

Has me intrigued as well. I too have tinnitus, for around a decade as well. However in my case it's not overwhelmingly loud and I've learned to tune it out.
“I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion.” -Donald Trump, 'Art of the Deal'

Oct 17, 2020, 17:05
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 17:05
Oct 17, 2020, 17:05
 Jivaro

I have a device in my spinal column that delivers a set program of electrical pulses into my spinal cord to block pain from severely damaged nerves further down my spine. No idea how they figured out where to connect the wires. Works great though. I probably don't want to know what was involved in the trial and error part.

Oct 17, 2020, 16:35
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 16:35
Oct 17, 2020, 16:35

Oct 17, 2020, 16:23
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2020, 16:23
Oct 17, 2020, 16:23

Oct 17, 2020, 15:46
Re: U.N.C.L.E Oct 17, 2020, 15:46
Oct 17, 2020, 15:46

The UNCLE remake was pretty good, I wonder if it's way too late though; the director, Guy Ritchie, is doing two movies and a series, Henry Cavill is doing the Witcher and DC stuff, Elizabeth Debicki is probably still doing Marvel stuff, Alicia Vikander can basically do whatever project she wants, etc.

It's only been 5 years but everybody aside from Armie Hammer has probably moved on to way bigger and more lucrative things.

U.N.C.L.E
Oct 17, 2020, 14:30
U.N.C.L.E Oct 17, 2020, 14:30
Oct 17, 2020, 14:30

Agree with you Blue. The Man from UNCLE was a welcome and surprisingly good movie. Just the right balance of stylish 60s action, fun and humor.

I have been using that movie as an example of why they should reboot the James Bond movie franchise as a 60s throw back. Despite the admirable job Daniel Craig has been doing, Bond just doesn't work in the modern era, not as originally envisioned by Ian Fleming. He's a misogynistic womanizing creature of the 60s.

A 60s James Bond reboot would be so cool. Think of the cars. The clothes. The gadgets. And Bond could be... Bond. Heck get Arnie Hammer to play Bond... UNCLE was practically a dry run for it.
“I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration — and a very effective form of promotion.” -Donald Trump, 'Art of the Deal'
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older