Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details

Larian Studios announces the races, variations and classes that will be available in Baldur's Gate 3 when the Early Access version of their RPG sequel launches on October 6th. They say players will have the choice of 16 races/subraces and six different classes. Details and screenshots can be found on the Baldur's Gate 3 Website. Here's a bit:
At launch, players will be able to create humans, githyanki, elves, drow, half-elf, dwarves, halflings, and tieflings, including subraces of each race. The early access release of Baldur’s Gate 3 provides around 25 hours of content, designed for multiple playthroughs. Players can create their own characters in single-player, or as a party of up to four players in multiplayer, each with their own character.

Races more alien to the Sword coast -- like the Drow and Githyanki -- are so rare to the average NPC that you’ll find their interactions to be unique, as well. The world of Baldur’s Gate 3 is a highly reactive one, so this single choice will have huge ramifications across your play experience.

Baldur’s Gate 3’s character creation features photorealistic fantasy races based on 3D scans of actors and models (blemishes and all), selected because their features roughly resembled the direction for each race in the game, as well as, of course, for diversity and variety in the human-like races. Our team spent much of pre-production carefully selecting, scanning, and moulding these scans to become the base heads for character creation. Launching into early access is a total of 150 heads to pick from, across 16 races and subraces.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details
Oct 4, 2020, 15:38
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 4, 2020, 15:38
Oct 4, 2020, 15:38

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2020, 11:59:
And that is industry standard at release.

OK. I must be living in a different reality then. As I pointed out, Original Sin had ten patches in the first month alone. Where I live this is luckily not an industry standard, much less "above" it (yet?). Where I live we get a lot of mildly buggy releases on launch as a standard but usually nothing that requires ten patches. And Original Sin definitely required them. If you check the actual patch notes, you will see that just about every single one of the early patches contained fixes for crashes on saving which is an issue that typically always results in save game corruption and broken save games are literally a game-breaking affair.

Larian Studios released a buggy mess with OS and they released both a feature as well as content incomplete game by their own admission. A game usually enters a state of feature and content freeze when it reaches beta status because beta testing is all about testing, balancing and polishing what is there without adding anything new unless adding stuff turns out to be absolutely necessary to fix or enhance a gameplay system that turns out to require these changes as a result of the testing.

I don't doubt that those who were lucky enough to be spared by bugs had a decent experience even with the release version but there can also be no doubt that the final/current version of OS is magnitudes better than the release day version. The same goes for CD Projekt and the Witcher games where the so called Enhanced Editions are a night & day difference to the release versions. The funny part is that both developers can do no wrong. No matter how broken the game on release or whether it requires 33 patches (Original Sin 2) or 23 patches (The Witcher 3) Larian Studios and CD Projekt have 10/10 resistance against criticism so I shall also admit defeat and admit that dozens of patches are above industry standard (unless, of course, the game in question is from a big publisher like EA or UbiSoft because then even a measly day 1 patch is a surefire sign of the most broken game release in the history of all gaming... every time ) .

Oct 4, 2020, 11:59
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 4, 2020, 11:59
Oct 4, 2020, 11:59

RogueSix wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 18:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 16:37:
Their release is above industry standards in terms of bugs and balance.

Not really. Both Original Sins had game-breaking bugs at release and both were far from feature-complete. A lot of (QoL) features were added in the months and years after release.

And that is industry standard at release. A lot of games never get an enhanced version, like all games could, there are always things to improve. The game was playable from start to finish for most on release, can someone hit a game ending bug? Yes and for this style of game that again is common. IMO their quality on first release is right around avg and like anything the bugs fixes in the first month typically clean up all really needed issue for most and just more of the same here.

I'm not saying buy it day one or I don't even care if one buys it, but I don't find their stuff worse than what we normally get, far from it, their engine for this genre is way out in front of others which makes it more pleasurable to play. For example PoeT or Wasteland 3, they will forever have slow load times on small maps (unity), not a bug but a definite limp issue where Larian will never have this issue or they haven't yet.

Oct 3, 2020, 18:02
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 18:02
Oct 3, 2020, 18:02

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 16:37:

Not really. Both Original Sins had game-breaking bugs at release and both were far from feature-complete. A lot of (QoL) features were added in the months and years after release. Divinity Original Sin even got some major content additions to the story and dialogues as a part of the Enhanced Edition because fans complained about the shallowness of story and characters in the original release version.

Divinity Original Sin had a total of 19 patches and hotfixes after its official release date in early June 2014, i.e. this does NOT even include early access and it does also NOT include the Enhanced Edition. We are talking 19 patches just for the vanilla game in spite of six months in early access. Ten of those patches were released in the first month, followed by four more in month two. I would not exactly call that a release "above industry standards" but YMMV.
The Enhanced Edition of Original Sin received at least another six patches between October 2015 and March 2016. These patches also included fixes for severe bugs like not being able to assign skill points and stuff like that.

Original Sin 2 received a total of four patches in Early Access, then 17 patches for the vanilla release version and another 12 patches for the Definitive Edition. That's 33 patches total. Four patches were released in the first month, followed by three patches in month two, all with epic lists of bug fixes. This is also not a release I would refer to as "above industry standards".

If you absolutely wanted to put a positive spin on this, I guess you could say that their product support is pretty good and long lasting. As I said, for me it just means I will wait for them to release the Definitive Edition of BG3 and subsequently I'll also wait for the dozen of patches for that DE before I will give it a try. I can't be bothered with an inferior version. Too many games, too little time already. But as I said: To each their own. I value quality and I will wait for a quality BG3 version with all the features, all the content and all the fixes on board.

Oct 3, 2020, 16:38
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 16:38
Oct 3, 2020, 16:38

EUTHANIZE wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 13:39:
I really hope the multiplayer mirrors the original BG games where each player can save their characters to their own computer and not DOS2 where only the host saves all characters. I haven't seen any mention of this in the news leading up to release so I worry it will be the latter.

Would be nice, but I'm doubtful. They do always work on enhancing their engine, that would be a great feature.

Oct 3, 2020, 16:37
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 16:37
Oct 3, 2020, 16:37

RogueSix wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 13:16:
Quinn wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 03:34:
This is the test of will. Those who are excited AF but don't go for this EA will have passed it. Why ruin the ultimate experience of playing the polished, full game by eating from the pan before the meal is ready? Your hunger will already be sated before it's served. So silly.

Amen. I'm with you on this but to each their own. I won't be playing BG3 until there is the Definitive Edition or whatever they are going to call it. With Larian the early access is basically the alpha testing, the release version is the early beta, the Enhanced Edition is the 1.0 release version and the Definitive Edition is finally the (almost) fully patched 1.x release.
I'm not interested in replaying a (hopefully) story-rich game so I will want to play the "ultimate experience" as you called it and that will be the Definitive Edition in a couple of years. I can wait. Easily.

The EA is like alpha/beta
Their Enhanced Editions are masterworks.
No doubt EE is the most elegant. EA is nice to share feedback and temper alt-itis.

Oct 3, 2020, 15:31
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 15:31
Oct 3, 2020, 15:31

EUTHANIZE wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 13:39:
I really hope the multiplayer mirrors the original BG games where each player can save their characters to their own computer and not DOS2 where only the host saves all characters. I haven't seen any mention of this in the news leading up to release so I worry it will be the latter.

I'm thinking it'll be similar to how DoS1 and 2 co-op was handled in that it was a self-contained session. Co-op players could create characters in DOS2 but were able to select which character(s) to control at any time and saves were saved to the host's computer. I'd be surprised if Larian deviated from that system since people seemed mostly happy with it in DOS 2.

Oct 3, 2020, 13:39
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 13:39
Oct 3, 2020, 13:39

Oct 3, 2020, 13:23
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 13:23
Oct 3, 2020, 13:23

based on 3D scans of actors and models (blemishes and all)

What they call blemishes, I call freckles... and freckles are hot.

Oct 3, 2020, 13:16
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 13:16
Oct 3, 2020, 13:16

This is the test of will. Those who are excited AF but don't go for this EA will have passed it. Why ruin the ultimate experience of playing the polished, full game by eating from the pan before the meal is ready? Your hunger will already be sated before it's served. So silly.

Amen. I'm with you on this but to each their own. I won't be playing BG3 until there is the Definitive Edition or whatever they are going to call it. With Larian the early access is basically the alpha testing, the release version is the early beta, the Enhanced Edition is the 1.0 release version and the Definitive Edition is finally the (almost) fully patched 1.x release.
I'm not interested in replaying a (hopefully) story-rich game so I will want to play the "ultimate experience" as you called it and that will be the Definitive Edition in a couple of years. I can wait. Easily.

Oct 3, 2020, 13:10
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 13:10
Oct 3, 2020, 13:10

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 09:48:
heroin wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 08:53:

Like I said, I will be replaying in single-player & coop, many times over time. EA is only 25 hours, a good taste. So far, not many games released this year, I've been playing FFXIV, would like to give that a breather. Looking forward to see what BG3 has now; looking forward to seeing how the game changes in full release and into future. I don't think it's silly, it's a plan.

It will 100% spoil your experience, take it from someone who was in the ALPHA onwards of D:OS 1 you do NOT want to see behind the veil.... ever

I didn't feel that.

Oct 3, 2020, 09:48
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 09:48
Oct 3, 2020, 09:48

heroin wrote on Oct 3, 2020, 08:53:

Like I said, I will be replaying in single-player & coop, many times over time. EA is only 25 hours, a good taste. So far, not many games released this year, I've been playing FFXIV, would like to give that a breather. Looking forward to see what BG3 has now; looking forward to seeing how the game changes in full release and into future. I don't think it's silly, it's a plan.

It will 100% spoil your experience, take it from someone who was in the ALPHA onwards of D:OS 1 you do NOT want to see behind the veil.... ever

Oct 3, 2020, 08:53
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 08:53
Oct 3, 2020, 08:53

Oct 3, 2020, 03:34
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 03:34
Oct 3, 2020, 03:34

Oct 3, 2020, 03:09
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 3, 2020, 03:09
Oct 3, 2020, 03:09

going to wait for full release.. but for me same as with bg1 and 2, go dedicated wizard first playthough.

Oct 2, 2020, 22:33
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 2, 2020, 22:33
Oct 2, 2020, 22:33

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to not pick this up and play it if it's available. DOS2 was a lot of fun to replay in both single-player and coop. I played it in SP twice before playing in coop with friends - and the coop was hands down one of the best coop or multiplayer experiences I've had since the late 90's. The little I've seen of BG3 has been very impressive so I am excited AF!

Oct 2, 2020, 22:21
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 2, 2020, 22:21
Oct 2, 2020, 22:21

Definitely have to have this one. Don't know about the EA, though. Probably won't be able to resist the temptation, but I'll try. EA is so unfinished and by the time the actual game is affixed to the EA segment it's somewhat of an anti-climax. With DOS2 I bought the EA two weeks before the full game release--I waited that long, at least. But I was fairly wrung out on the beginning EA game section even after only two weeks...
It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

Oct 2, 2020, 21:54
Prez

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 2, 2020, 21:54
Oct 2, 2020, 21:54
 Prez

I think I will just wait for the 1.0 build. Early Access is a good thing, but so much is still missing.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 2, 2020, 20:14
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 2, 2020, 20:14
Oct 2, 2020, 20:14

Not sure if I'm going to go in on the EA or not. It's not like I have a backlog shortage of games, but I do want this pretty bad. Enh, mebbe at Xmas. So what's everyone going to be playing on their first playthrough? I'll prolly do my usual and go through as a dorf cleric.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Oct 2, 2020, 19:34
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Class Details Oct 2, 2020, 19:34
Oct 2, 2020, 19:34

classes are
Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock and Wizard

missing are
Druid, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Paladin, Monk

so ~40% of BASE classes (if we go by scope of implementation) ..... figured that was the only relevant info in this news blurb...

Druid is alone easily worth 30%, because of all those unique spells.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older