GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store

GOG.com announces an enhancement planned for their GOG GALAXY client. Similar to how GALAXY 2.0 supports launching games owned through services besides GOG.com, the client store will allow you to purchase games from other storefronts as well. They are currently internally testing this new feature with the Epic Games Store, and say they will be inviting additional users of the service to participate in the testing as time goes by. Here's word:
We created GOG GALAXY 2.0 to give gamers a better way of organizing all their games across multiple gaming platforms into one library. Since its launch, the most requested new feature has been the option to buy games not only from GOG.COM, but from other platforms as well, straight from the GOG GALAXY app.

Today, we’re happy to invite the first group of gamers to test the brand new store we’re working on, and share their feedback with us.

In the new store, we will be welcoming games from both GOG.COM and beyond - including titles previously exclusive only to other gaming platforms. With the internal beta launching today, invited users will have the option to buy games from a selection of hand-picked Epic Games Store exclusive titles, alongside all GOG.COM games. Most importantly, all purchases are covered by our 30-days refund policy as well as 24/7 human support.

There is still plenty of work ahead of us. As the internal beta test continues, we will be inviting more gamers, expanding the store's catalog and introducing new features. For a chance to be part of this test, join GOG GALAXY today at www.gogalaxy.com.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store
Oct 2, 2020, 11:23
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 2, 2020, 11:23
Oct 2, 2020, 11:23

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 18:47:
Where will you buy PC games?

Pretty much I won't, I guess.

To be clear...
- I'm not too worried about GOG getting rid of the "offline backup installer" option anytime soon, if ever.
- I have a huge PC library already. (Lots of replay-ability)
- I have a huge backlog too. (Lots of stuff to catch up)
- While there are a couple of newer games I am looking forward to, if my options suddenly got limited to launcher only... I don't really NEED them.
- I'm pretty much building my final gaming rig in the Spring... I don't foresee the need afterwards. (Ya, I'm old)

Honestly I haven't been buying very many new games and mostly grabbing stuff on GOG as it comes. My collection is big and the urge to buy new stuff is dwindling.

It's sort of like my MAME collection. I stopped looking for more arcade classics long ago and I have plenty.
Having this controller connected to a NUC in my bar room with a 60 inch tv hanging above the bar thrills my guests to play the classics.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Oct 2, 2020, 07:11
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 2, 2020, 07:11
Oct 2, 2020, 07:11

I totally agree regarding the game specific forum links. The game specific forums are more reliable than the reviews to spot old games that simply won't work at all in Win 10, example: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Oct 2, 2020, 03:28
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 2, 2020, 03:28
Oct 2, 2020, 03:28

I wonder how many poeple will skip on buying Cyberpunk 2077 because of their desire to boycott this decision. I predict a huge number will make the outcry, but like 0 will follow through. Gamers are weak.

Oct 2, 2020, 01:48
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 2, 2020, 01:48
Oct 2, 2020, 01:48

You can disable _all_ of the friends, sharing, achievements, everything in Galaxy and then it just becomes much like the launcher just bigger disk footprint. It's harder to manage individual patch revisions if you want to save all the individual patches but Galaxy does make it easy to go to any revision.

I don't mind this change as much. I think it's a good move. You can't compete against Steam without partners.

Having said that... What I really want in Galaxy is mod support/management. They should partner up with Nexus or someone.

Oct 1, 2020, 21:45
Kxmode

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 21:45
Oct 1, 2020, 21:45
 Kxmode

Satoru wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 20:42:
Primalchrome wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 17:29:
I dunno if they'll force the launcher for installer download.... Anti-DRM and independent installers are kind of their brand at this point....and I'd be willing to bet a key component for a significant percentage of their userbase. For me personally, that value add is what makes them on par with Steam.

I think the anti-DRM people really really have a misguided sense of how 'important' they are to GOG's bottom line.

Although I don't buy from GOG that often, DRM-free is essential to genuine consumer choice, I'm glad the store exists.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 1, 2020, 20:42
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 20:42
Oct 1, 2020, 20:42

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 17:29:
I dunno if they'll force the launcher for installer download.... Anti-DRM and independent installers are kind of their brand at this point....and I'd be willing to bet a key component for a significant percentage of their userbase. For me personally, that value add is what makes them on par with Steam.

I think the anti-DRM people really really have a misguided sense of how 'important' they are to GOG's bottom line.

Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
Kxmode

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
Oct 1, 2020, 18:47
 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 16:50:
Satoru wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 16:17:
Its gonna be fun when GOG Galaxy becomes mandatory for GOG titles. They've already cut off the GOG Downloader which was already making half the people on GOG lose their minds. I can easily see them dumping the direct web downloads and just going pure GOG Galaxy and insisting "well you can download the installer files via our client so you know its fine". If you think that's not gonna happen, you're deluding yourself.

If they force a launcher to obtain the purchases... I will stop using their store, plain and simple.

Where will you buy PC games?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 1, 2020, 17:29
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 17:29
Oct 1, 2020, 17:29

Oct 1, 2020, 16:50
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 16:50
Oct 1, 2020, 16:50

Satoru wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 16:17:
Its gonna be fun when GOG Galaxy becomes mandatory for GOG titles. They've already cut off the GOG Downloader which was already making half the people on GOG lose their minds. I can easily see them dumping the direct web downloads and just going pure GOG Galaxy and insisting "well you can download the installer files via our client so you know its fine". If you think that's not gonna happen, you're deluding yourself.

If they force a launcher to obtain the purchases... I will stop using their store, plain and simple.

Oct 1, 2020, 16:17
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 16:17
Oct 1, 2020, 16:17

wtf_man wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:28:
That said... I don't run Galaxy, and I'm close to dumping Steam and being 100% launcher free.

Oct 1, 2020, 15:40
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 15:40
Oct 1, 2020, 15:40

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:33:
While I laud CDPR's efforts, I remain unconvinced Galaxy is a stable product.

Galaxy pretty much crashes any time my computer comes out of sleep mode, and just crashes in general when i dont even use it. Its pretty unstable for something I just run in teh background on a lark.

Though I will give them credit. Ironically GOG Galaxy is a million times better to browse my Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription games, than using the garbage Xbox app is. But like that's not exactly a high bar to get over considering how terrible the Xbox App is on PC.

For all I know, my money could get lost in the ether between Galaxy and the store. In the case of Steam, issuing a Paypal chargeback typically results in Valve banning an account from making additional purchases.

I sort of dont get the correlation between 'your payment being delayed' and going immediately to 'lets do a chargeback'. Like firstly a chargeback is the last resort thing to do, not the knee jerk first think on the list because you didn't want to wait 5 minutes. Secondly, if you do a chargeback on GOG, you can bet your behind they're gonna slam your account into oblivion for doing so.Thirdly, its not like when you buy a Uplay game on Steam, or any other store for that matter, your transaction is between you and steam. The Uplay side doesnt factor into the transaction until much later. Your transaction is not being sent through to Uplay, ti cannot get 'lost' on its way to Uplay. So its nonsensical to say that your money to Epic would get 'lost' on its way there. Your money isn't going to Epic, its going to GOG, who processes your transaction and thats it for you. Later on GOG does whatever their deal is with Epic. They're 2 different things. 2 different transactions. Its not getting 'lost' on its way to Epic.

Finally while all the 'integration' that GOG Galaxy doesnt really do that well, the store itself is functionally just a browser that goes to GOG.com. The new 'store' is just gonna be an embedded website that goes to something you could easily just hit with a normal browser anyway. Again despite all the 'jank' around the client, the store itself will literally just be a website anyway so nothing is going to get lost/broken/destroyed just because of the client jank. You're just hitting a website using Chrome.

Bumpy wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:34:
I'd prefer if they'd just put back functionality they took out with 2.0., mainly full and proper forum integration.

Their existing forums are kind of a mess to begin with. I don't think anyone uses their forums other than the "General Discussion" dumping grounds of doom. The per-game forums are like wastelands even for popular games. Not sure you'd want to 'integrate' that cluster

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2020, 16:05.

Oct 1, 2020, 15:39
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 15:39
Oct 1, 2020, 15:39

Oh I cannot wait for the GOG Forums to literally lose their entire shit when they hear about this. Its gonna be glorious to watch the forums implode

Oct 1, 2020, 14:31
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 14:31
Oct 1, 2020, 14:31

Acleacius wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:11:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 11:39:
This is all I care about with GoG:
- Games are DRM free
- I can play multiplayer games I purchased with my son without buying another copy
- I can download archive backups

Any initiative that compromises or moves away from these 3 things is something I'm guaranteed to not support. If this multi-service store makes all games purchased through GoG DRM free and archivable, this is great. If not, this is a terrible new service and signals a change to their long standing consumer friendly DRM policy.
I had no idea you could Coop 2 (more?) with only 1 game purchase, which is what sounds like your saying.

GOG has no control over other storefront drm, only that you can purchase and play their game using Galxay. There will most likely be a Tab, for Steam as an example.
I play Stardew Valley with my son co-op. We can also play GoG games at the same time. As he gets older, we are clashing more and more for "steam" time as only one of us can play at a time... and if you think offline mode is viable, workshop DLC don't work, cloud saves don't work and online connectivity usually doesn't work. It's pretty much a useless mode for me.

I use their integrated storefront, but I don't see the usefulness of buying these games directly in GoG and polluting the DRM free offerings with these tainted ones.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:59
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:59
Oct 1, 2020, 13:59

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:33:
While I laud CDPR's efforts, I remain unconvinced Galaxy is a stable product. Whenever I periodically launch the app, my games from other services keep disappearing even though I've synchronized with those services (GOG games are the only games that consistently appear in Galaxy without problems). It then turns into an hour-long ordeal of relinking the services and then figuring out why games I own on those services do not appear. Out of frustration, I stop using Galaxy. This pattern repeats itself every time I launch Galaxy. I am not prepared to have to deal with this headache at a purchasing level. For all I know, my money could get lost in the ether between Galaxy and the store. In the case of Steam, issuing a Paypal chargeback typically results in Valve banning an account from making additional purchases.

Yeah, I have the problem too. At first everything showed, now only about 1/3'rd of my installed games from other services show (it's been like that for a few months). Haven't delved too hard at looking into what may be up with that.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:34
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:34
Oct 1, 2020, 13:34

I'd prefer if they'd just put back functionality they took out with 2.0., mainly full and proper forum integration.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
Kxmode

Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
Oct 1, 2020, 13:33
 Kxmode

While I laud CDPR's efforts, I remain unconvinced Galaxy is a stable product. Whenever I periodically launch the app, my games from other services keep disappearing even though I've synchronized with those services (GOG games are the only games that consistently appear in Galaxy without problems). It then turns into an hour-long ordeal of relinking the services and then figuring out why games I own on those services do not appear. Out of frustration, I stop using Galaxy. This pattern repeats itself every time I launch Galaxy. I am not prepared to have to deal with this headache at a purchasing level. For all I know, my money could get lost in the ether between Galaxy and the store. In the case of Steam, issuing a Paypal chargeback typically results in Valve banning an account from making additional purchases.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:31
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:31
Oct 1, 2020, 13:31

ldonyo wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 12:50:
I would mainly use this to get the Epic Store freebies and not having to launch Epic's store app would be a nice bonus.
You can get them through the browser storefront, too.

Acleacius wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 13:11:
I had no idea you could Coop 2 (more?) with only 1 game purchase, which is what sounds like your saying.
For older games that aren't doing any server-side key authentication, you could download and install on as many computers as you want.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:28
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:28
Oct 1, 2020, 13:28

- Games are DRM free
- I can play multiplayer games I purchased with my son without buying another copy

Any initiative that compromises or moves away from these 3 things is something I'm guaranteed to not support. If this multi-service store makes all games purchased through GoG DRM free and archivable, this is great. If not, this is a terrible new service and signals a change to their long standing consumer friendly DRM policy.

Games on GOG's store will always remain DRM-Free. On their store, you can even go launcher free by downloading the "offline backup game installers" instead of through Galaxy (their launcher).

With Galaxy, they are also trying to let you access all of the other competitors store's games through 1 launcher (Galaxy)... which is convenient as far as a launcher / updater goes if you have a ton of Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc. titles.

That said... I don't run Galaxy, and I'm close to dumping Steam and being 100% launcher free.

Oct 1, 2020, 13:11
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 13:11
Oct 1, 2020, 13:11

- Games are DRM free

GOG has no control over other storefront drm, only that you can purchase and play their game using Galxay. There will most likely be a Tab, for Steam as an example.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Oct 1, 2020, 12:50
Re: GOG GALAXY Store Adding Multi-Service Store Oct 1, 2020, 12:50
Oct 1, 2020, 12:50

Adding pass-through purchasing from other store fronts without having to launch said other store front is a pretty cool idea, one I hope GOG gets a small piece of for their efforts. It would be nice if there were no DRM on titles purchased from other services, but I wouldn't expect that. I would mainly use this to get the Epic Store freebies and not having to launch Epic's store app would be a nice bonus.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older