Out of the Blue

As you may have noticed, the desktop version of the site is adorned by a variation on our logo today. As I recently mentioned, a discussion on the topic in the forums inspired us to look into reusing some of our extensive library of logo variants based on games and other occasions. This is the first of these, appropriately based on the first such variant from when the new logo debuted along with a redesign of the whole site back in December of 2000. The logo and the site design were both the work of artist extraordinaire Walter "2" Costinak, and it features the Quake player Blue caricature from his previous Blue's News logo as a transition. It bears mentioning that implementing the new design at that time was also thanks to hard work by Walter, loonyboi, Frans, Furn, and Bagpuss, since our current design remains an updated variation on much of their efforts. As for the revival of these logos, this is also thanks to the hard work of some volunteers. Readers Dave, Scott, and Steve all stepped up to alter most of the logos to work in the current version of the site. They put up with aggravation along the way, but cheerfully made the changes we needed, and this could not have happened without them. Likewise, besides being the critical eye to approve the updated logos, Frans provided additional programming to make the process of rotating the logos easy enough that it could be handled even by a monkey such as myself. Our archive contains 185 distinct logos, all originally created by 2. The games they commemorate range from the classic to the forgotten, and it will be fun to see them return along with the logos for holidays and other occasions. So again, thank you to Dave, Scott, and Steve for their updates, thank you to Walter "2" Costinak for the original artwork and for graciously allowing us to update it, thank you to Frans for making it so easy to use them, and thank you to everyone who suggested the revival.

Retro Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

View : : :
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Raised by Wolves
Oct 4, 2020, 20:24
Re: Raised by Wolves Oct 4, 2020, 20:24
Oct 4, 2020, 20:24

Ant wrote on Oct 4, 2020, 17:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 23:54:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 18:42:
Holy shit, Raised By Wolves was a mindbending series. That's a no spoiler review! Winkrazz
I agree. Been thoroughly enjoying the series and have one episode left.
But its S1 finale was weak. :/
not sure weak is the proper adjective
Dumpster fire comes to mindand it really shattered my suspension of disbelief meterThe last episode definitely did not leave me wanting to see another season but I am glad I saw the first season.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Raised by Wolves
Oct 4, 2020, 17:21
Ant

Raised by Wolves Oct 4, 2020, 17:21
Oct 4, 2020, 17:21
 Ant

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 23:54:
Holy shit, Raised By Wolves was a mindbending series. That's a no spoiler review! Winkrazz
I agree. Been thoroughly enjoying the series and have one episode left.
But its S1 finale was weak. :/
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 2, 2020, 10:04
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 10:04
Oct 2, 2020, 10:04

Thank you Readers Dave, Scott, and Steve !!
<3

Oct 2, 2020, 09:40
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 09:40
Oct 2, 2020, 09:40

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 09:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 08:39:
Worse than Trump dying from CV -- he could be asymptomatic and recover quickly. This will reinforce his belief it isn't a serious illness. Which he will of course relay to the public and his supporters will be even more anti-mask, anti-anything related to CV precautions.
Then again, after thinking about it for a few minutes even if Trump went the same route as Boris, hospitalization, a stint in the ICU, I'm sure he would still come out and say CV was no big deal and the Ds were overstating the problem. So... maybe it killing him might be the only way to impact him, not that he would exactly get any of the benefits... *shrug*
Herman Cain could not be reached for comment.

Even with his advanced age and morbid obesity there is no way to predict the outcome.

The bare minimum means the world won't be exposed to his rancid rallies and I doubt he'll attend the next debate w/his successor.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Oct 2, 2020, 09:25
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 09:25
Oct 2, 2020, 09:25

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 08:39:
Worse than Trump dying from CV -- he could be asymptomatic and recover quickly. This will reinforce his belief it isn't a serious illness. Which he will of course relay to the public and his supporters will be even more anti-mask, anti-anything related to CV precautions.
Then again, after thinking about it for a few minutes even if Trump went the same route as Boris, hospitalization, a stint in the ICU, I'm sure he would still come out and say CV was no big deal and the Ds were overstating the problem. So... maybe it killing him might be the only way to impact him, not that he would exactly get any of the benefits... *shrug*
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 2, 2020, 08:56
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 08:56
Oct 2, 2020, 08:56

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 01:37:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 01:36:
El Pit wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 01:09:
The Donald has been infected? Wow. 6 months ago he would have told all of us that this would be fake news because there was no virus. Than it was the Chinese virus. Now it's HIS virus.

* Donald Trump said late Thursday night that he and the first lady would begin a quarantine process after top aide Hope Hicks tested positive for coronavirus.
* "The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!" Trump tweeted after earlier, suggesting that he may quarantine.

That's not the same as saying he is himself infected. Blues News is a bastion of free expression, probably one of the last, but that also puts everyone on notice to be careful about what is posted here. Remember, Google scrubs or buries incorrect information from their engine. Should such a comment like yours come up, their algorithm may ding Blue's search rankings. Let's not contribute to that.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

literally says otherwise
Yep, it's true.
Now google will have to un ding us and place us even higher in the polls.
Unless posting something that says he's not infected causes us to drop in the polls and then we'll just be stuck back where we were in the middle of the polls.
So confused.

@Frans
Thanks for your dedication to physically go to everyone's house when you change the blues icon to
force a refresh on their browsers. Your dedication is Herculean.
A mask is an IQ test

Oct 2, 2020, 08:42
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 08:42
Oct 2, 2020, 08:42

The Donald has been infected? Wow. 6 months ago he would have told all of us that this would be fake news because there was no virus. Than it was the Chinese virus. Now it's HIS virus.
I read this and had a glimmer of hope for the human race. If anyone deserves to be infected by the tRump virus it is the trump.
For a cure I hope he's munching hydroxyacrylicsqweins, shooting up clorox and stuffing my secret sleep pillows down his throat.
A mask is an IQ test

Oct 2, 2020, 08:39
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 08:39
Oct 2, 2020, 08:39

Oct 2, 2020, 08:35
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 08:35
Oct 2, 2020, 08:35

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 02:14:
Strange though: I thought Hope Hicks had left the WH staff a while ago.
She left and went to Fox as its CCO and as an executive vice president. But went back the WH after almost exactly two years -- March 2018 to March 2020.

Oct 2, 2020, 08:10
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 08:10
Oct 2, 2020, 08:10

You're remembering correctly: she left in 2018. However, she rejoined the White House early this year.

As for the President's illness, I intend to show him exactly as much sympathy and concern as he has shown for the >205,000 Americans he failed to protect.

Oct 2, 2020, 07:48
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 07:48
Oct 2, 2020, 07:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 19:55:
Blue wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 19:27:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 19:16:
I still have the old logo cached for some reason. Had to open BN in incognito mode to see it.
Are you using Chrome? You may need to force a refresh, as Chrome is particularly obstinate about caching.
I'm using Firefox and it required a site/page reload to cause an update. Just going between the forums, articles, and front page did not cause an update.
This has been addressed and shouldn't happen with future rotations anymore.
-- Frans

Oct 2, 2020, 05:27
NKD
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 05:27
Oct 2, 2020, 05:27
NKD

I didn't think the leopards would eat MY face!
"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Oct 2, 2020, 03:20
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 03:20
Oct 2, 2020, 03:20

Jesus H. You knew that this was bound to happen given his cavalier attitude. Actually surprised Melania was infected, as I'm surprised she gets within 10 feet of the man, ever. That said, the absolutely worst thing that could happen would be for The Donald to die before the election.

It's a real shame he didn't go with Chris Christie for VP as he had originally planned. Christie may be a total asshole, but he's a smart asshole. Pence is a true idiot.

Yeah, me too. I guess the turnover rate for his staff is so high it's difficult to keep up.

Reloading this page on Firefox doesn't show the new logo so I was confused about what people were talking about. Had to force reload.

Oct 2, 2020, 02:14
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 02:14
Oct 2, 2020, 02:14

Jesus H. You knew that this was bound to happen given his cavalier attitude. Actually surprised Melania was infected, as I'm surprised she gets within 10 feet of the man, ever. That said, the absolutely worst thing that could happen would be for The Donald to die before the election.

It's a real shame he didn't go with Chris Christie for VP as he had originally planned. Christie may be a total asshole, but he's a smart asshole. Pence is a true idiot.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 2, 2020, 02:10
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 02:10
Oct 2, 2020, 02:10

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 20:34:
Here's one reason why I don't watch new series. You give a series a chance, and that happens. The show is left in limbo with no closure. It happened on Heroes, Alphas, and numerous others.

S1 of Heroes is an amazing and complete arc. Just pretend that anything after that doesn't exist. Ditto for True Blood.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Re: Subway bread
Oct 2, 2020, 02:07
Re: Subway bread Oct 2, 2020, 02:07
Oct 2, 2020, 02:07

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 20:09:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 19:15:

So it's better than it's "Looks like Prometheus" trailers suggest it is?

No, it's worse. The acting and technical side are good, the writing is weak, weak sauce. I quite like the guy who plays Father. I still say Travis Fimmel can't act for beans.

I dunno, it's hard to get much worse than Prometheus. I even watched it again a couple of years later just to make sure I hadn't made some kind of colossal mistake. Great cast, great cinematography and world building, awful awful plot. Like grilling the greatest Kobe beef steak over charcoal, setting it on a plate, and having a pigeon shit on it.

Gizmodo didn't like Raised by Wolves very much apparently, so my fears are confirmed.

Oct 2, 2020, 01:37
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 01:37
Oct 2, 2020, 01:37

Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2020, 01:36:

* Donald Trump said late Thursday night that he and the first lady would begin a quarantine process after top aide Hope Hicks tested positive for coronavirus.
* "The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!" Trump tweeted after earlier, suggesting that he may quarantine.

That's not the same as saying he is himself infected. Blues News is a bastion of free expression, probably one of the last, but that also puts everyone on notice to be careful about what is posted here. Remember, Google scrubs or buries incorrect information from their engine. Should such a comment like yours come up, their algorithm may ding Blue's search rankings. Let's not contribute to that.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

literally says otherwise

Oct 2, 2020, 01:36
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 01:36
Oct 2, 2020, 01:36
 Kxmode

[ Removed. I'm not getting involved in this stuff. Feel free to carry on. ]
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 2, 2020, 01:30
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 01:30
Oct 2, 2020, 01:30

Is it cynical and evil if I said this is the best news of the day?

Oct 2, 2020, 01:29
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2020, 01:29
Oct 2, 2020, 01:29

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 20:02:
Imagine this:
President Jimmy Carter Owed No U.S. Tax for '76 But He Volunteered to Pay $6,000

I've always liked Jimmy Carter.
Maybe not the best decision maker, but he's honest and giving.

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 1, 2020, 20:39:
You'll be glad to know that Voter Suppression is alive and well in Texas.
The governor issued orders limiting each county to one mail-in ballot drop-off site.
Texas counties range from teeny tiny like Brewster, which is over three times the size of the state of Delaware, and more than 500 square miles (1,300 km2) bigger than Connecticut to several with populations over 1 million.
Harris County, which includes Houston, has more than 4.6 million residents.

This is not surprising. I've already decided I'm going to load up on PPE and just early vote in-person. (Not in TX, but in another "red" state).
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older