Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch

Bloomberg reports that CD PROJEKT RED is mandating six-day work weeks leading up to the promised November 19th release of Cyberpunk 2077. The developer previously repeatedly promised they would not put their staff through the dreaded crunch leading up to the launch of the eagerly anticipated RPG. But there was a hint earlier this year that they were backtracking on this commitment. Now this seems to be definitively the case. Bloomberg has the following internal email from studio head Adam Badowski they say was shared with them by a CDPR employee who asked not to be named:
“Starting today, the entire (development) studio is in overdrive,” Badowski wrote, elaborating that this meant “your typical amount of work and one day of the weekend.” The extra work would be paid, as required by Polish labor laws. Many other video game studios don’t pay for overtime.

“I take it upon myself to receive the full backlash for the decision,” he wrote. “I know this is in direct opposition to what we’ve said about crunch. It’s also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back -- that crunch should never be the answer. But we’ve extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch
Sep 30, 2020, 23:23
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 23:23
Sep 30, 2020, 23:23

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 08:53:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 23:07:
Respectfully disagree, we live in a world ravaged by unemployment. Of the approximately 8 billion population, 4.5 billion are of average working age 15-64.
Your talking about 100 people, give or take. They are damn lucky to have their jobs, and I bet most of them know it.
Do you understand this is how the games industry has operated since forever? This has nothing to do with a pandemic and has everything to do with employees doing more work for less money because they should be damn lucky to have such a "fun" job. Some people actually value a healthy work/life balance... if CDPR said they were not going to have "crunch times" like this going forward, it's a bait and switch. And I'm sure once development is over, we'll quietly see the layoffs come in and justified as an "industry reality".
Yes, but it doesn't really apply here does it. Project Red is obviously being pressured by the publisher. And has specifically stated they are paying overtime, which is Polish law. The majority of people in the world want work, and there isn't any. You seem to think there is some perfect place, where trails and tribulations don't happen.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Sep 30, 2020, 23:18
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 23:18
Sep 30, 2020, 23:18

Choobeastia wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 01:46:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 23:56:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 23:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 23:01:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 22:32:
I gotta say, most people would be begging to work and get paid overtime in this global pandemic.

Those that are havenots, if you work for CDPR it's been paycheck as usual. That said, some will totally like the extra dough.
Respectfully disagree, we live in a world ravaged by unemployment. Of the approximately 8 billion population, 4.5 billion are of average working age 15-64.
Your talking about 100 people, give or take. They are damn lucky to have their jobs, and I bet most of them know it.

I love your idea that people are that upstanding that because the world is having a problem that they will just simply be happy at working more if they really don't want to. Sure they will do it to keep their jobs but it isn't and people aren't as "boot strappy" as you make it sound. Should people be thankful they have a job? Yes. The counter is once again business takes advantage of a situation, "because you know some people are struggling at this special time, this crunch you should be happy with it!!!", age old tactic.
No idea what your talking about, I'm not making it sound like anything. This is probably the worst economy in world history, it's going to become catastrophic in the next 3 months. This isn't like the great depression where other countries saved our economy because they bought our products. The world economy is failing. You would have to be living in a bubble not to know it's just getting started. Not only is the disease increasing and the economy failing, but they are doing it exponentially. In the US 200 million working age and less than 100 million jobs, irrc.

This week or next, airlines will layoff 10s of thousands of jobs, hotel industry the same and entertainment industries like disney, the same. Flu season is starting early, and here in the US we have a 60% shortage of doctors before the trump pandemic. Hospitals have had record closures in the last 15 years, we have the lowest number of hospital beds per citizen in 60 years, irrc. The disease is ravging states where people are too brain washed, mentally ill or stupid to wear masks.

People are losing jobs, homes and lives by the millions. It took 5 months to get 200k deaths, now we will get another 200k in 2 months, that's what exponential means.
You think people wouldn't work 6 days a week from home, to save their jobs, families, homes and lives. Or it's some kind of happy, boot strappy life?
I'm beginning to think your extremely confused? Amazed

It is a really rough situation all over the world, but especially in the US where the response has been weak. These workers are primarily in Poland as I understand it, though, so loss of homes and employment is not nearly the problem as it has become in the US. At least for the time being.

So while I understand where you're coming from, remember that many areas of the world aren't being ravaged the way we are due to their response. And finally, a global health crisis is not an excuse for taking advantage of laborers. The company made a promise, and it isn't keeping it. This is a sad thing, and hopefully in the future they will find other ways to adapt, or they are forced to find other ways to adapt.
You are correct, I was focusing on US and they are in Poland. However, there is still a storm coming (sorry to sound like a conspiracy nut).

Winter Flu IS coming ( ) and it's packing a punch worldwide. The world economy is in a very fragile state. An orange haired idiot (moron?) is threatening to start a civil war, in the US. It's a very tricky time, if you then add in the fact is all it would take is one more viral outbreak in Brazil with bolsonaro's incompetent corruption or China's hunger problems, both are a covid-20 waiting to happen. Don't even get me started on puttin along, undermining every democracy which also threatens world stability. US and UK/EU are just the most visible atm.

Not to mention, they specifically mention paying extra to the employee's, which is Polish law. It's clearly the publisher pushing the developer around.
Project Red will probably lose millions in bonuses and sales, based on publisher advertising dollars are most likely already spent.

Now, that's the SAME old story. Protest
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Sep 30, 2020, 23:16
Cutter

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 23:16
Sep 30, 2020, 23:16
 Cutter

MrBone wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 04:54:
Who cares? Oh right. All the new Ethics Police white-knighting the heck out everything these days. If you can’t handle the hours, quit and get another job. Simple. Cheers.

Fuck labor laws, right? I mean let's go back to 6 days a week, 16 hours a day, unpaid, minimal breaks. And of course child labor. Put the little bastards to work. Hell, may as well bring back slavery while we're at it. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 30, 2020, 18:45
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 18:45
Sep 30, 2020, 18:45

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 02:41:
So many ignorant, and downright stupid comments from people who have no, and I mean absolutely NO clue how a typical production company operates, let alone a game developer of the size of CDPR. These guys are NOT your typical small indie studio from Hollywood's imagined eastern Europe, working out of their mom's garage. They are a serious game company AND a publishing power house (GOG anyone) that earns billions.

Ahem, while it is true that CD Projekt are far from a "mom's garage" developer/publisher, they certainly do not "earn billions" either. The only thing that is billions is their market capitalization since they are a publicly traded stock company (Warsaw Stock Exchange). They are "worth"a little over €9 billion as of today's stock market closing. The major reason for not delaying Cyberpunk also lies in that realm by the way. CD Projekt have all but promised their investors to finally release the game this financial year so a delay would anger the stock holders very much. CD Projekt can not possibly delay any further.

Anyway, back to their earnings (revenue, not profit): They have made a total revenue across the whole group of approximately €121 million in all of 2019. That's a pretty far cry from "billions". The GOG publishing segment has contributed a not overly impressive (to put it mildly) €36 million to that result. That is even further from "billions".

As far as the first half of 2020 is concerned, the CD Projekt Group made just over €80 million (about €24 million in revenue coming from the GOG segment) in revenue due to CoVid-19, due to the release of some Witcher games on the Nintendo Switch and due to the The Witcher Netflix series infusing a major second life into the The Witcher gaming series in general. Real "earnings" (net profit) was just over €32 million in the first half of 2020.

CD Projekt is a very successful company, especially on the stock market where it is trading blows with a European giant like UbiSoft in terms of market capitalization (both are valued at just over €9bn with UbiSoft slightly in the lead currently) but most of that is based on future expectations.
UbiSoft are the ones who are actually already making billions in revenue. CD Projekt are not even close to being revenue billionaires as we have seen above but stock holders and investors are apparently hoping that CD Projekt will keep growing exponentially.

Sep 30, 2020, 17:49
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 17:49
Sep 30, 2020, 17:49

Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 14:56:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 14:49:
Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 12:57:
mxmissile wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 12:07:
Woke SJW rage incoming.

I'm confused. What's woke, or SJW, about this, and who is raging harder than you are against "woke" and "SJW?"

Few seem as obsessed with social issues as you, so aren't you an SJW?
And if we moved to a standard 50 hour work week, would you call anyone against that an SJW? Really?

Some people are so far over a cliff they don't even realize it.
I think he meant "I'm looking for attention!". Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Giggle

After being here almost 20 years without blocking anyone, I've started blocking the attention seekers who run into every thread yelling "SJW" and then running away.

I guess this guy goes on the list. WaltC is going to be the only 4chan personality left here for me.
(as opposed to conservative, as several here are conservative or lean conservative and are excellent for actual discussion.)

The heck has "SJW" anything to do with crunch?

Sep 30, 2020, 14:56
Beamer

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 14:56
Sep 30, 2020, 14:56
 Beamer

Acleacius wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 14:49:
Woke SJW rage incoming.

I'm confused. What's woke, or SJW, about this, and who is raging harder than you are against "woke" and "SJW?"

And if we moved to a standard 50 hour work week, would you call anyone against that an SJW? Really?

I think he meant "I'm looking for attention!". Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Giggle

After being here almost 20 years without blocking anyone, I've started blocking the attention seekers who run into every thread yelling "SJW" and then running away.

I guess this guy goes on the list. WaltC is going to be the only 4chan personality left here for me.
(as opposed to conservative, as several here are conservative or lean conservative and are excellent for actual discussion.)

Sep 30, 2020, 14:49
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 14:49
Sep 30, 2020, 14:49

Woke SJW rage incoming.

Sep 30, 2020, 12:57
Beamer

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 12:57
Sep 30, 2020, 12:57
 Beamer

Woke SJW rage incoming.

Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
Kxmode

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
Sep 30, 2020, 12:43
 Kxmode

Woke SJW rage incoming.

A little late to the party...
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 30, 2020, 12:07
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 12:07
Sep 30, 2020, 12:07

Woke SJW rage incoming.

Sep 30, 2020, 11:08
Prez

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 11:08
Sep 30, 2020, 11:08
 Prez

Simon Says wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 10:30:
Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 10:05:
A couple of things I'd like to know:

1) How long are the days they are working?
2) How long have they been crunching for?

I'm against crunch but in a lot of blue collar jobs it is simply unavoidable. I cannot tell you how many 16-hour days or 7-day weeks I've worked. The fact that they are getting a day off already puts them ahead of virtually anyone else.

That's f'ing insane, "40"H/W is ludicrous enough as it is when you take into account all the non-remunerated time it vampirizes that is dedicated to work and you can't dedicate to anything else. You wake up at 7, prepare for work, commute 1 hour, start at 9, work 8 hours, commute 1 hour back then if the day was stressful you need a few hours winding down time ( not gonna count it here, but it still vampirizes the shit out of you nonetheless ). Mind you, a lot of people commute a lot more than that...

So 2 hours morning dedicated to work, 8 hours of actual work, another hour dedicated to work after commuting back. That's 11 hours per day, 5 days a week.

You have 24 hours per day, 8 hours of sleep ( less will have negative health consequences in the long term, vampirizing even more time ), 11 hours work, you're left with 5 hours of downtime. So much for 1 third work, 1 third sleep, 1 third leisure.

So in reality if you work for 20$/hour for 8 hours a day, you're really working at a rate of: ( 8/11 ) * 20 = 14.45$ dedicated work hours you can't dedicate to anything else.

I spent the better part of my life in manufacturing jobs. They pay well but it can be really hard. I did nothing but work and sleep more than once.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 30, 2020, 11:06
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 11:06
Sep 30, 2020, 11:06

Working Saturdays is crunch time now? I use to work for a guy who said if you don't work on Sunday, don't bother showing up on Monday.

Sep 30, 2020, 10:42
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 10:42
Sep 30, 2020, 10:42

MrBone wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 04:54:
Who cares? Oh right. All the new Ethics Police white-knighting the heck out everything these days. If you can’t handle the hours, quit and get another job. Simple. Cheers.

Like we do with anything people that hear things they don't like (to the general audience) make the other side sound extreme and unreasonable. I feel moderate on this particular issue, job has to get done, workplace does matter. I will agree if the company is staying within the law if you don't like it you have the option to leave, but it has to stay within laws and not unlimited hours to get it done.

I do agree that this doesn't sound like it is cruel and unusual and from what they say within the law, the only reason it is an issue is it is an industry focus, it is real, above all they are going back on their words a bit, which is probably the biggest reason this popped up in news.

Sep 30, 2020, 10:39
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 10:39
Sep 30, 2020, 10:39

Perhaps the word "crunch" is a bit exaggerated or taking out of context the actuality of the situation.

Listen, I work for a software company that deals with POS. It's not just a POS that deals with the sale side, it is a POS that can run your entire business minus payroll. With that said, occasionally we are asked to work weekends if a new client is on board and we need to make sure they're taken care of and supported through the weekends of launch. This can be multiple weekends and at various times. It may seem like it sucks, but ultimately, it is not forever, and you are being compensated for it. That is the key. If you were not, that to me would just be taken advantage of. Sure, they're putting you out of your comfort zone for a few weekends, but it will be over eventually. What do you get out of it? A fatter paycheck. Heck, some employees RELISH having more work hours to get a bigger paycheck and prefer less time off (not me personally but I know some).

In a time where having a job is seems to be fortunate, I think being asked to work a few more hours, or weekends TEMPORARILY and get PAID for it is pretty hard to feel sorry for.

Sep 30, 2020, 10:30
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 10:30
Sep 30, 2020, 10:30

Prez wrote on Sep 30, 2020, 10:05:

I'm against crunch but in a lot of blue collar jobs it is simply unavoidable. I cannot tell you how many 16-hour days or 7-day weeks I've worked. The fact that they are getting a day off already puts them ahead of virtually anyone else.

That's f'ing insane, "40"H/W is ludicrous enough as it is when you take into account all the non-remunerated time it vampirizes that is dedicated to work and you can't dedicate to anything else. You wake up at 7, prepare for work, commute 1 hour, start at 9, work 8 hours, commute 1 hour back then if the day was stressful you need a few hours winding down time ( not gonna count it here, but it still vampirizes the shit out of you nonetheless ). Mind you, a lot of people commute a lot more than that...

So 2 hours morning dedicated to work, 8 hours of actual work, another hour dedicated to work after commuting back. That's 11 hours per day, 5 days a week.

You have 24 hours per day, 8 hours of sleep ( less will have negative health consequences in the long term, vampirizing even more time ), 11 hours work, you're left with 5 hours of downtime. So much for 1 third work, 1 third sleep, 1 third leisure.

So in reality if you work for 20$/hour for 8 hours a day, you're really working at a rate of: ( 8/11 ) * 20 = 14.45$ dedicated work hours you can't dedicate to anything else.

Sep 30, 2020, 10:05
Prez

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 10:05
Sep 30, 2020, 10:05
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 30, 2020, 09:04
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 09:04
Sep 30, 2020, 09:04

So many ignorant, and downright stupid comments from people who have no, and I mean absolutely NO clue how a typical production company operates, let alone a game developer of the size of CDPR. These guys are NOT your typical small indie studio from Hollywood's imagined eastern Europe, working out of their mom's garage. They are a serious game company AND a publishing power house (GOG anyone) that earns billions.

How many of you have worked for a game design studio? I can tell you, that in a large development house, with high job security and good pay, people tend to slack off. A lot. Like you wouldn't believe. This happens usually close to a project's completion, and this usually means that the last few months of development can stretch out almost indefinitely, unless management puts the screws on.

As far as screws go, these are pretty mild. You can bet there will be more oversight in-house and other incentives to keep people focused through crunch time that we have no idea about. But all of you know-it-alls who think that this is modern slavery 3.0, need to wake the fuck up and reign in your overflowing ego, these people are not being abused, they are being paid fairly for their work and they are close to releasing what is hopefully going to be one of the best CRPGs ever made.

Your whole post here is absurd, nothing about it is accurate. I'm not working for a big publisher now, but I did back in the early 2000's and still work in major crunch time environments. There is almost never slacking off from anyone, that assertation is just ridiculous. The problem is always that a somewhat arbitrary date is set months to year in advance and the team tries to pace themselves to meet that date. There are so many variables that determine whether a date will be met and almost none of them have anything to do with people slacking off, especially at the end of a project. It's usually because of decisions made by management, not by the people actually doing the work.

We all have limits and have to pace ourselves. If we have to work 14 hour days, work will get done, but no one can critically think or do great art under that circumstance. So if the team is expected to fix difficult bugs, add new features and finish important art, the quality is going to be shit because corners are going to have to be cut. This is why it's so much better to delay releases... it gives the team time to breathe and refocus themselves and reduce stress. It has nothing do with with work ethic.

Sep 30, 2020, 08:53
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 08:53
Sep 30, 2020, 08:53

Do you understand this is how the games industry has operated since forever? This has nothing to do with a pandemic and has everything to do with employees doing more work for less money because they should be damn lucky to have such a "fun" job. Some people actually value a healthy work/life balance... if CDPR said they were not going to have "crunch times" like this going forward, it's a bait and switch. And I'm sure once development is over, we'll quietly see the layoffs come in and justified as an "industry reality".

Sep 30, 2020, 08:31
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 08:31
Sep 30, 2020, 08:31

I can tell you, that in a large development house, with high job security and good pay, people tend to slack off. A lot. Like you wouldn't believe.

I remember game companies where when you have people visit them in videos, developers are shown playing games. And not even their own. So there might be truth to that...

Sep 30, 2020, 07:58
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Development Succumbing to Crunch Sep 30, 2020, 07:58
Sep 30, 2020, 07:58

Sometimes reality intrudes on the best of intentions. I'm looking forward to this one.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older