31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: etc.
Sep 27, 2020, 23:51
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 23:51
Sep 27, 2020, 23:51

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 19:10:
Walter Crow Horse : License and registration?
Ray Levoi : Kiss my ass.
Walter Crow Horse : Hey, this is *my* jurisdiction now. And you were going 59 in a 55 zone.
Ray Levoi : Let me see the radar.
Walter Crow Horse : I don't need no radar, I can tell! I just listen to the wind; it said, "Fifty-nine, nail 'im!"
I really like when he does the track reading and reads Kilmer like a book...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2020, 22:11
MattyC

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 22:11
Sep 27, 2020, 22:11
 MattyC

more often than not you come away with nothing. It's not a good ROI for the energy expended.

Uh, you have any kind of source for that? If there was a time when humans failed more often than they succeeded in acquiring meat, it was an extremely long time ago and not reflected in historical record or in most existing hunter / gatherer cultures today.

Humans are now and have been throughout history quite successful at hunting, trapping, and the obvious elephant (or cow) in the room - domestication.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Sep 27, 2020, 21:43
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 21:43
Sep 27, 2020, 21:43

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 21:31:
And evolutionarily our bodies reflect that. A human can go 3 years without eating iron, and one year without B-12, both of which come primarily from eating meat.

Unless you're a woman with an intense cycle. Or a regular blood donator.

Sep 27, 2020, 21:31
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 21:31
Sep 27, 2020, 21:31

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 12:16:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 00:53:
Hunters at this point are only 'needed' due to humans massacring most of the predator animals, especially in the US. Yellowstone, I want to say, had tremendous success reintroducing wolves to the ecosystem, but that will never happen further east.

Was just going to say the same thing. And when nature gets to far out of whack it self corrects. And that doesn't even account for forest fires, droughts, etc. that cull overpopulation. How many animals do you think have died in California and Oregon this year. I wouldn't even want to imagine. And don't even get me started on trophy hunters. Those motherfuckers actually need to die slowly in a fire.

Yes, we evolved as omnivorous hunter-gatherers but we did way more gathering than we ever did hunting. Hunting is inherently dangerous and more often than not you come away with nothing. It's not a good ROI for the energy expended. And historically most of our ancestors ate very little meat. It was hard to come by, a lot of work to prepare, it didn't store well unless it was packed in salt and salt was its own major pain in the ass to come by. Too many people don't realize our actual history and believe it was like some Hollywood medieval feast with tables laden down with all kinds of meat and other foods. For the royalty sure. The rest of us, not so much.

And evolutionarily our bodies reflect that. A human can go 3 years without eating iron, and one year without B-12, both of which come primarily from eating meat.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 18:36:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 12:24:
Reminds me of that great line in Thunderheart....

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth."
Always thought that movie got too much grief and not enough credit. I usually watch it when I see it in the guide...

It's a great flick just got too much static from the left because of Kilmer playing a half-native. Sam Shepherd and Graham Greene were great in that too.

"I know more about the law and the history out here than the people themselves. Let me tell you, I feel for them. They're a proud people. But they're also a conquered people. That means their future is dictated by the nation that conquered them. Rightly or wrongly, that's the way it works, down through history."

Walter Crow Horse : License and registration?
Ray Levoi : Kiss my ass.
Walter Crow Horse : Hey, this is *my* jurisdiction now. And you were going 59 in a 55 zone.
Ray Levoi : Let me see the radar.
Walter Crow Horse : I don't need no radar, I can tell! I just listen to the wind; it said, "Fifty-nine, nail 'im!"
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 27, 2020, 18:36
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 18:36
Sep 27, 2020, 18:36

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 12:24:

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth."
Always thought that movie got too much grief and not enough credit. I usually watch it when I see it in the guide...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2020, 18:32
Ant

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 18:32
Sep 27, 2020, 18:32
 Ant

NotOneOfUs wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 13:31:
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR
I would! Same for pooping in a police helmet, etc. as shown in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 21:32:
It is even easier than that. We kill vermin without a concern. Rats, mice, and other disease carrying animals and insects are killed by the millions. It is necessary to do this to safe guard our own existence. Yet, there are people who have rats as pets. There is no simple black and white here, species and context matters.

Yet if people weren't so fucking greedy and set aside areas and a bit of food and shelter for critters they wouldn't have problems elsewhere. We're all just trying to survive. Even the way cities are designed now we have parks and neighborhoods full of trees that produce nothing but oxygen when we should be plating food and nut trees and shrubs everywhere for people and wildlife. It's an easy fix yet one most places won't do because they have no real consideration for any thing other than themselves.

I'm not insensitive to the fact that vermin can cause problems but it doesn't mean they always do. And my real objection is to how they're dispatched. Poison is cruel and glue traps are monstrous. Those things should be outlawed. And anyone who uses them should die by them - live by the sword die by the sword. Yet the fact is most people don't see how those things work and worse still, they don't want to. As if it somehow absolves them of being monsters.

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 00:53:
Hunters at this point are only 'needed' due to humans massacring most of the predator animals, especially in the US. Yellowstone, I want to say, had tremendous success reintroducing wolves to the ecosystem, but that will never happen further east.

Was just going to say the same thing. And when nature gets to far out of whack it self corrects. And that doesn't even account for forest fires, droughts, etc. that cull overpopulation. How many animals do you think have died in California and Oregon this year. I wouldn't even want to imagine. And don't even get me started on trophy hunters. Those motherfuckers actually need to die slowly in a fire.

Yes, we evolved as omnivorous hunter-gatherers but we did way more gathering than we ever did hunting. Hunting is inherently dangerous and more often than not you come away with nothing. It's not a good ROI for the energy expended. And historically most of our ancestors ate very little meat. It was hard to come by, a lot of work to prepare, it didn't store well unless it was packed in salt and salt was its own major pain in the ass to come by. Too many people don't realize our actual history and believe it was like some Hollywood medieval feast with tables laden down with all kinds of meat and other foods. For the royalty sure. The rest of us, not so much.

Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
 Cutter

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 03:46:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 20:17:
I'm trying to go vegetarian but it's difficult after a lifetime of the convenience of meat. It does make me feel guilty these days. Personally I think vegan is too extreme however.
What is so extreme about not wanting to consume animals/animal products?

Using dairy or eggs isn't consuming animals. Besides where do you think our ancestors - those who evolved out of the sunbelt - got all their vitamin A and D in winter?

Sep 27, 2020, 11:57
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 11:57
Sep 27, 2020, 11:57

theglaze wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:40:
VR and more realistic input methods really do blur the line between game and reality.

They don't change anything though in the difference between real and virtual. Can you feel more immersed, more emotional, yeah ok, but it doesn't change the only part that matters, not real.

Sep 27, 2020, 11:54
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 11:54
Sep 27, 2020, 11:54

If I'm going to be judged by killing pixels, I'm going down as one of the greatest mass murders ever to grace earth, I'd in fact be a total agent for Satan. But I don't believe any of this would be reality. At this time I refuse to even consider there is some correlation between the two.

Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together…
Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
Kxmode

Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together… Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
Sep 27, 2020, 08:23
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 04:09:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:36:
Something wonderful will happen.
Heh, my son and I were just playing in a system where the rings of one planet are clipping another.

That's no good.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 27, 2020, 04:09
Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together… Sep 27, 2020, 04:09
Sep 27, 2020, 04:09

Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:36:
Something wonderful will happen. Beatnik
Heh, my son and I were just playing in a system where the rings of one planet are clipping another.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 27, 2020, 03:46
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 03:46
Sep 27, 2020, 03:46

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 20:17:
I'm trying to go vegetarian but it's difficult after a lifetime of the convenience of meat. It does make me feel guilty these days. Personally I think vegan is too extreme however.
What is so extreme about not wanting to consume animals/animal products?

Sep 27, 2020, 02:20
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 02:20
Sep 27, 2020, 02:20

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:28:
Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 19:55:
No one loves animals - all of them - as much as I do, but videogame violence stays only videogame violence, be it against people or animals.

Yeah, pretty much this. There's no difference really to whacking a virtual dog vs. a virtual person.
It's because there's no consequence. We also know that killing a virtual dog doesn't actually kill a sentient being so it's a no risk/harm proposition.

Sep 27, 2020, 00:53
Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 00:53
Sep 27, 2020, 00:53

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:22:
I love animals. I have never hunted, but hunters do nature a service as without them deer would overbreed and do major damage to the fauna. Anyone that has issues with a bunch of bits in a computer somewhere has serious mental issues and needs help. As to meat animals I am not comfortable how they are killed for food, but I have never found any article on the vegan lifestyle that I do not have issues with. I have personally seen people that tried to be vegan have health issues. Very hard to maintain protein and nutrients with a vegan lifestyle. So to those that say it is healthier, I beg to disagree.

Vegan is difficult but not impossible to get decent protein/nutrient intake, but you'll have to eat some 'unusual' items. Vegetarian is a lot easier, and people trying to cut down on their meat intake/carbon foot print (if that interests you) can just go a couple weeks of no meat, with either a vegetarian or vegan diet, and switch back for a week to meats, etc.

As far as killing virtual animals/people, well, it depends on the game. It has yet to transfer into real life for me though.

I played through the first Dishonored with zero kills, but that was years ago. I'm finishing up Dishonored 2 now, for example, and I just don't have the patience to sneak around, knock out or avoid everyone, and hide the slumbering bad guys in corners, so some guards have died. And you better believe those dog/hyena things, and blood flies, and rats, have been annihilated.

Sep 26, 2020, 23:40
Re: etc. Sep 26, 2020, 23:40
Sep 26, 2020, 23:40

VR and more realistic input methods really do blur the line between game and reality. Emotional responses are more intense, and VR's biggest growth sector is training. So clearly what people practice in a virtual world can shape real world behavior, muscle memory, or synapse patterns. Could certain VR experiences chape emotional responses? I'm not sure, but certainly real life emotions (like fears) can be naturally felt in VR, and again it has been used as a tool to help relieve specific anxieties.

But even a small child does not mistake Minecraft with the physical world they live in. Simple graphics and traditional control mechanics. Any momentary overlaps in a child's perceptions can quickly resolved with good parenting.

(I won't click the article because it's titled like bait.)

Sep 26, 2020, 23:36
Kxmode

Re: A No Man's Sky player found two planets that are smooshed together… Sep 26, 2020, 23:36
Sep 26, 2020, 23:36
 Kxmode

Something wonderful will happen. Beatnik
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 26, 2020, 23:28
Re: etc. Sep 26, 2020, 23:28
Sep 26, 2020, 23:28

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 19:55:
No one loves animals - all of them - as much as I do, but videogame violence stays only videogame violence, be it against people or animals.

Yeah, pretty much this. There's no difference really to whacking a virtual dog vs. a virtual person.
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older