Out of the Blue

I actually have plans for both today and tomorrow, which is a daring throwback to the pre-pandemic days when this would be considered far more normal for the weekend. Today MrsBlue and I are visiting our friends from our old neighborhood, which means getting to see the twins and my bestie Jedi the Jindo. The twins were upset recently when their folks ate some popcorn they felt was intended for them, so MrsBlue promised them we'd come and bring them some Jiffy Pop. They were very excited when she explained what this throwback product was, so this was a stroke of genius. But it actually seemed like a recipe for disaster when I went in search of this yesterday, as none of the nearby supermarkets actually had any Jiffy Pop at all. Apparently this is not much of a thing anymore in these days of microwave popcorn. Luckily MrsBlue figured out that they still have this at Walmart, so we were able to pick some up there. So we'll head down there later today for a socially distanced cookout, and teach the kids the joys of analog popcorn popping over their fire pit.

Round-up in a Jiffy
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Vietnam - 320k reused condoms
Sep 28, 2020, 01:34
Re: Vietnam - 320k reused condoms Sep 28, 2020, 01:34
Sep 28, 2020, 01:34

Wow, 2020, you're trying your hardest to just completely fuck us all up, aren't you?

Humanity just continues to underwhelm me. Re: the rest of the thread, the USA is fucked, as people have said. People will let everyone around them die rather than wear a mask in this country. It only becomes 'real' when they get seriously ill, and sometimes not even then. I know people from work who were infected and recovered, and regardless of how severe their experience was, now they act like no one should ever wear masks ever. It's beyond infuriating.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 27, 2020, 21:35
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 21:35
Sep 27, 2020, 21:35

Jivaro wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 20:40:
You can close nearly everything down. Many countries did when they realized the half assed closing wasn't working. Their the ones with the numbers that are so much better than ours. The fact is a large enough population of American people simply would rather let X amount of people die then risk losing money. Period. End of story. We don't know what X is yet because apparently we haven't reached that point where the public is distressed enough to do much more then bitch to each other. That's the American problem with dealing with Covid, it has been since the beginning, and each time one of you tries to assert some dumbshit premise all you do is let those of us that have been affected personally or professionally in on how ignorant you are. Keep posting by all means, but when you say shit like Sweden seems to be doing fine....comparing a 10mil genetically homogenous population to the fucking 380mil in the US who have a genetical soup as varied as the dumpster outside the Mall.....you are displaying your ignorance. Even more so when you are factually and demonstratively incorrect going by literally every live covid map available on the internet.

The disease is real, the threat is real, and the fact that we will sacrifice our own people rather than risk our own inconvenience is real. Instead of downplaying it, perhaps examine why you feel so compelled to downplay it. Does it make you feel better? more safe? I hope you are all smart enough to know that's a delusion. More than anything, I hope you live through the day you realize you are part of the problem though. I wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy.
Sweden ended up with 10x more deaths and infections than Norway and Finland, both of which implemented a shutdown.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 27, 2020, 21:10
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 21:10
Sep 27, 2020, 21:10

Saw a SUV the other day with seemingly professionally made window decals in the back window which read,

My Health
My Choice
No Masks
I was tempted to sideswipe them, but didn't.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2020, 20:40
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 20:40
Sep 27, 2020, 20:40
 Jivaro

You can close nearly everything down. Many countries did when they realized the half assed closing wasn't working. Their the ones with the numbers that are so much better than ours. The fact is a large enough population of American people simply would rather let X amount of people die then risk losing money. Period. End of story. We don't know what X is yet because apparently we haven't reached that point where the public is distressed enough to do much more then bitch to each other. That's the American problem with dealing with Covid, it has been since the beginning, and each time one of you tries to assert some dumbshit premise all you do is let those of us that have been affected personally or professionally in on how ignorant you are. Keep posting by all means, but when you say shit like Sweden seems to be doing fine....comparing a 10mil genetically homogenous population to the fucking 380mil in the US who have a genetical soup as varied as the dumpster outside the Mall.....you are displaying your ignorance. Even more so when you are factually and demonstratively incorrect going by literally every live covid map available on the internet.

The disease is real, the threat is real, and the fact that we will sacrifice our own people rather than risk our own inconvenience is real. Instead of downplaying it, perhaps examine why you feel so compelled to downplay it. Does it make you feel better? more safe? I hope you are all smart enough to know that's a delusion. More than anything, I hope you live through the day you realize you are part of the problem though. I wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy.

Sep 27, 2020, 19:39
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 19:39
Sep 27, 2020, 19:39

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 20:53:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 17:04:
Anyway, Covid is real...don't fuck with it. Get your flu shot....don't fuck with that either. If you get the flu you instantly increase your risk of complications should you also contract Covid. Have a nice weekend folks

This. I have had three colleagues and an employee die from COVID-19. I have a friend that is an ER nurse that is infected and isolated right now. Her texts are not inspiring. If she does survive, she gets to play the "will I die from vascular disease" game for the rest of her life.

Take it seriously. Take precautions. Wash your hands frequently. Stay the fuck home and wear a goddamned mask.

I personally don't know anyone that's suffered from COVID but in Alaska, most people here are like "it's overblown". Mrs. Tiger has a coworker who refused to wear a mask (fake news!) until one of the coworker's friend died from it. Now all of a sudden it's "I guess it's real afterall". Alaska's been a "red" state since they discovered oil, but even when it was "blue", it was always "you can't tell me what to do" libertarian blue. Thankfully we're the least population dense state in the Union, but that'll only convince people more that it's not a big deal.

Mrs. Tiger and I always wear masks when we're outdoors but I can not tell you the number of people that do not cover the faces completely or wear the mask around their 2-3 chins (ok, that was a little bit of snark, but there definitely seems to be a stereotype).
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Sep 26, 2020, 23:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 23:52
Sep 26, 2020, 23:52

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 23:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 21:25:
It's not a problem, just ask the Governor of Florida...

Well Sweden has done quite well with keeping things open. They initially had a lot of deaths in the retirement communities, but they seem to have weathered the storm without destroying their economy. I certainly would not move to one of the highly restricted states like California, Illinois, Michigan.....You cannot keep things closed up and who knows when we will have enough vaccine for everyone? I applaud the governor of Florida.

Wear a mask everywhere there are other people and avoid those that don't wear one.

Hmm.
Sweden’s public health body recorded 554 new covid-19 cases Thursday — the highest since early July — and 417 on Friday, according to its online tracking tool, capping off what epidemiologist Anders Tegnell had warned would be a “record week” for new cases.
“It is slowly but surely going in the wrong direction in Sweden, even if the situation is not as serious as in other parts of Europe,” Tegnell said at a news briefing Thursday, according to the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 26, 2020, 23:35
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 23:35
Sep 26, 2020, 23:35

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 21:25:

Well Sweden has done quite well with keeping things open. They initially had a lot of deaths in the retirement communities, but they seem to have weathered the storm without destroying their economy. I certainly would not move to one of the highly restricted states like California, Illinois, Michigan.....You cannot keep things closed up and who knows when we will have enough vaccine for everyone? I applaud the governor of Florida.

Wear a mask everywhere there are other people and avoid those that don't wear one.

Sep 26, 2020, 21:45
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 21:45
Sep 26, 2020, 21:45

Poor doggo. So much shame, so much shame.

Sep 26, 2020, 21:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 21:25
Sep 26, 2020, 21:25

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 26, 2020, 20:53
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 20:53
Sep 26, 2020, 20:53

Anyway, Covid is real...don't fuck with it. Get your flu shot....don't fuck with that either. If you get the flu you instantly increase your risk of complications should you also contract Covid. Have a nice weekend folks

This. I have had three colleagues and an employee die from COVID-19. I have a friend that is an ER nurse that is infected and isolated right now. Her texts are not inspiring. If she does survive, she gets to play the "will I die from vascular disease" game for the rest of her life.

Take it seriously. Take precautions. Wash your hands frequently. Stay the fuck home and wear a goddamned mask.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Sep 26, 2020, 20:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 20:47
Sep 26, 2020, 20:47

A local restaurant owner in my small town, who knows everyone in the town, passed away today due to COVID-19.
They had star flighted him to a real hospital 12 days ago.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Sep 26, 2020, 20:39
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 20:39
Sep 26, 2020, 20:39

The last time I talked about Covid or the flu here I got a bit amped up because I had recently seen some pretty crazy shit at a time where I wasn't mentally ready for it. I was a student and didn't expect to be anywhere near ground zero for bay area covid response and treatment. Thankfully they pulled me back out of there and in fact my clinicals got delayed for a while.

But now I am back in a outdoor walk-up/drive-thru flu shot clinic set up by the health system I am in clinicals with. We screen for Covid as well, and eventually it is rumored we will be covid testing as well. I come into my shift with scrubs over long underwear, a n95, sunglasses, a face splash shield, and a sun visor and we do our thing, hand washing and disinfecting our hands and everything else between every patient. My original site had a "deceased from covid" building that had freezers holding bodies for processing. My new site is less......morbid. So far.

We are a lot further down the Covid timeline now and folks are being much more reasonable about everything. I don't get idiots without masks on telling me I am stepping on their rights and even if I did the security team we have would probably have them gone before they got on to the next sentence. Still a little crazy how the people most likely to give me shit about Covid are the highest risk patients. Elderly, overweight, pre-existing pulmonary or cardiac issues....etc. We are being told that the normal flu is expected to be bad this year but I just don't understand that with all the anti-Covid steps that people are taking. It sounds more like a upsell thing to me but I am from the retail world and cynicism is part of the deal. I am green to this industry, so we shall see.

Cool story and solid advice. Thanks.
You have spoken.

Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
 Cutter

I just want govt's to start having the discussion of where we go from here and what we do in the event a vaccine doesn't arrive. We need to talk about that and plan for it. We can't keep this shit going indefinitely. With the resurgence and talk of going back into stage 2 or even stage 1 scenarios isn't viable long term, financially or psychologically. And if we're lottery winning lucky and do get a vaccine it's still going to be years before everyone is vaccinated even with the world's pharmas going full tilt boogie. And that's not even accounting for mutations and different strains arising that aren't covered.

People are already starting to get edgy about this resurgence - which is mostly about economics and supply chains versus the virus itself. Went into Costco two days ago and they're now sold out of TP, paper towel, lysol wipes, etc. and that was with limiting those items to 1 per customer. Govt's must do more to alleviate that uncertainty because the strain will start causing people to crack en masse and shit will just go from bad to worse. My provincial govt is useless as tits on a bull. They just keep whinging about people not doing more but are doing sweet FA themselves. They've made it harder to get tests now and there's still zero tracking going on. Financial help looks like its going to disappear. What the fuck do they think is going to happen in the absence of real leadership with this sort of crisis? That people won't freak out and say 'Fuck it' and do whatever they want?

And all this bullshit with the US election isn't helping the rest of the world any either. Are we doomed? Is the end really nigh? It reminds me of that scene from The Omega Man....

Omega Man - News Report - How the world ended

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 26, 2020, 17:04
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 17:04
Sep 26, 2020, 17:04
 Jivaro

The last time I talked about Covid or the flu here I got a bit amped up because I had recently seen some pretty crazy shit at a time where I wasn't mentally ready for it. I was a student and didn't expect to be anywhere near ground zero for bay area covid response and treatment. Thankfully they pulled me back out of there and in fact my clinicals got delayed for a while.

But now I am back in a outdoor walk-up/drive-thru flu shot clinic set up by the health system I am in clinicals with. We screen for Covid as well, and eventually it is rumored we will be covid testing as well. I come into my shift with scrubs over long underwear, a n95, sunglasses, a face splash shield, and a sun visor and we do our thing, hand washing and disinfecting our hands and everything else between every patient. My original site had a "deceased from covid" building that had freezers holding bodies for processing. My new site is less......morbid. So far.

We are a lot further down the Covid timeline now and folks are being much more reasonable about everything. I don't get idiots without masks on telling me I am stepping on their rights and even if I did the security team we have would probably have them gone before they got on to the next sentence. Still a little crazy how the people most likely to give me shit about Covid are the highest risk patients. Elderly, overweight, pre-existing pulmonary or cardiac issues....etc. We are being told that the normal flu is expected to be bad this year but I just don't understand that with all the anti-Covid steps that people are taking. It sounds more like a upsell thing to me but I am from the retail world and cynicism is part of the deal. I am green to this industry, so we shall see.

Sep 26, 2020, 16:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 16:07
Sep 26, 2020, 16:07

Vietnam police found 320K used condoms cleaned, repackaged for sale

Now there's a headline I never thought I'd see.

Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
 Cutter

Q: So, what do you do for a living?
A: I clean and repackage used condoms.

Yeah, really not interested in space travel until turlets are as easy to use as on Earth.

Fuck I hate those staged videos. Stop showing them already.

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 26, 2020, 13:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 13:13
Sep 26, 2020, 13:13

Hang an extra JiffyPop on your wall, it's the redneck smoke alarm.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older