Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations

A report on Kotaku says that Michel Ancel's recent departure from Ubisoft came amid an investigation into allegations of toxic behavior. This is based on translating an article on French newspaper Libération, but they also got the following confirmation of the news from Ubisoft: "[Ubisoft CEO] Yves Guillemot committed back in July that any allegation will be investigated and no one will be outside of that process–and this would include Michel Ancel. And as Michel confirmed to the journalist at “Liberation,” he is under investigation. The investigation is still ongoing and we have nothing further to share as we respect the confidentiality of this investigation." Ancel responds to the report in a post on Instagram, calling it "fake news":
Fake News
Take few people with rage and jealousy and let them speak in the name of hundreds. Publish the news fast so that it combines with sexual harassment from other news at Ubi soft. I this serious? Is this what you expect from a national newspaper. I will fight for the truth because such accusations are a shame . I worked hard on every of my projects and always had respect for the teams. The accusations are wrong . 1- Toxic management : I am not managing the team. I bring a vision and producers and managers decide what to do , when and how. They are powerful people in the making of such a big projects. Why don’t the journalist speaks about them?

2- I always change my mind : false. E.g. I’ve spent years explaining why the city should not be re done from scratch. Hours explaining that characters were good enough and did not need to be redone . Same for planets and all. But sometimes some people in the team changed things despite my advices. Managers are here to solve this.

3- the 2017 demo was fake and was a video: false . The 2017 demo was solid and made possible the 2018 demo. As opposed to what is in the news, the 2018 demo had the right details , was using real streaming, procedural generation and was playable online. This was a masterpiece of technology.
The news from liberation contains fake Informations revealed by few people who wants to destroy me and the projects . This can’t be done without me fighting every single lines of that news. I’ve offered the journalist the opportunity to take enough time to look at all the mistakes. Let’s see what he will do .
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations
Sep 27, 2020, 15:25
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 15:25
Sep 27, 2020, 15:25

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 10:16:
Quinn wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 10:02:
He already admitted that he was basically fighting ghosts with his replies that sounded really smart. I'm going to call these guys The Ghostbusters from now on, methinks.

Not ghosts, but the words people actually wrote:

NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 08:55:
These days, saying something is fake news is just about as good as confirming it is true.

That's a general statement. My arguments at this thread have been in support of the general idea that assertions of "fake news" usually indicate an absence of a case. You focused on the particular assertion of "fake news" in the original news post, as opposed to the comment which generated buckrussell's response which I in turn objected to. That's why our ships passed in the night. If you think that's fighting with a ghost, then your evident inability to distinguish between what's real and what's not would go a long way to explain why you're so easily taken in by bad ideas.

The fact that you spew what seems like predetermined replies shows that you don't take the time to actually read and understand what someone is saying before you leap into it. That you assume any of us would believe that claiming "fake news" should always be a valid enough reply shows a lack of charity that is very telling, and explains why it is damn near impossible to have a normal discussion with The Ghostbusters.

Sep 27, 2020, 10:16
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 10:16
Sep 27, 2020, 10:16

Quinn wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 10:02:
He already admitted that he was basically fighting ghosts with his replies that sounded really smart. I'm going to call these guys The Ghostbusters from now on, methinks.

Not ghosts, but the words people actually wrote:

These days, saying something is fake news is just about as good as confirming it is true.

That's a general statement. My arguments at this thread have been in support of the general idea that assertions of "fake news" usually indicate an absence of a case. You focused on the particular assertion of "fake news" in the original news post, as opposed to the comment which generated buckrussell's response which I in turn objected to. That's why our ships passed in the night. If you think that's fighting with a ghost, then your evident inability to distinguish between what's real and what's not would go a long way to explain why you're so easily taken in by bad ideas.

Sep 27, 2020, 10:04
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 10:04
Sep 27, 2020, 10:04

buckrussell wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 09:44:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 09:37:
Conversely, do you realize how dangerous it is to accept an assertion, e.g. that something is "fake news", that is unsupported by an argument or evidence? Generally speaking, assertions of "fake news" are rarely accompanied by any explanation of why said news might be fake. Instead, such a claim boils down to an assertion of tribal identity, that a member of the enemy tribe only speaks in bad faith, and when we are presented with facts or arguments which challenge our tribe, we need only declare them false in order for them to be false. At that point, rationality, reasoned argument, and the values of the Enlightenment, i.e. the foundation of modern liberal democracy, are all out the window and we are willingly condemning ourselves to a premodern dark age.

nowhere did i say we should just blindly accept the assertion of fake news. try to use logic for your arguments, instead of emotion.

No, but you characterized being skeptical of assertions of "fake news" as being dangerous. That implies a less dangerous course is doing the opposite: being credulous of assertions of "fake news". You may not believe that we should blindly accept assertions of "fake news", but your comment absolutely implies that being skeptical of such an assertion is bad.

I'll reiterate and be more explicit about why we should be skeptical: it is extremely rare for someone to call something "fake news" and actually accompany that assertion with an argument. In the vast majority of cases, "fake news" indicates the absence of an argument. Consequently, if someone says "fake news" then that person probably has a weak to non-existent case, and we should treat their assertion as probably incorrect.

Sep 27, 2020, 10:02
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 10:02
Sep 27, 2020, 10:02

buckrussell wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 09:44:
Conversely, do you realize how dangerous it is to accept an assertion, e.g. that something is "fake news", that is unsupported by an argument or evidence? Generally speaking, assertions of "fake news" are rarely accompanied by any explanation of why said news might be fake. Instead, such a claim boils down to an assertion of tribal identity, that a member of the enemy tribe only speaks in bad faith, and when we are presented with facts or arguments which challenge our tribe, we need only declare them false in order for them to be false. At that point, rationality, reasoned argument, and the values of the Enlightenment, i.e. the foundation of modern liberal democracy, are all out the window and we are willingly condemning ourselves to a premodern dark age.

nowhere did i say we should just blindly accept the assertion of fake news. try to use logic for your arguments, instead of emotion.

Sep 27, 2020, 09:44
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 09:44
Sep 27, 2020, 09:44

Sep 27, 2020, 07:46
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 07:46
Sep 27, 2020, 07:46

Titus wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 02:56:
@Scottish Martial Arts

Your long and reasoned argument only makes sense if what needs to be disproven had stated arguments as proof.

Being investigated means there is no proof as of yet.

So Hitchen's Razor, "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence", still applies.

That's entirely fair and applies in the specific Ubisoft case. I should have prefaced my arguments with the caveat that I was arguing in general against the increasingly common practice of using the term "fake news" to avoid engaging with an argument or information that you don't wish to be true, and not this specific case as such..

Sep 27, 2020, 06:00
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 06:00
Sep 27, 2020, 06:00

Titus wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 02:56:
@Scottish Martial Arts

Your long and reasoned argument only makes sense if what needs to be disproven had stated arguments as proof.

So Hitchen's Razor, "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence", still applies.

I was going to reply with more or less the same comment. You beat me to it.

Sep 27, 2020, 02:56
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 27, 2020, 02:56
Sep 27, 2020, 02:56

@Scottish Martial Arts

Sep 26, 2020, 23:29
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 23:29
Sep 26, 2020, 23:29

Scottish Martial Arts, thank you again for being a rational voice in an irrational world.

Sep 26, 2020, 18:45
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 18:45
Sep 26, 2020, 18:45

Quinn wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 17:38:
What is a guy to do than to say something isn't true (or the news is fake) if it indeed isn't true? What evidence do you expect the guy to give?

How do you assess the truth or falsehood of a claim if the claim is merely "fake news"? At that point, it isn't even a claim; it's just an assertion of what you want to be the case and is no different than school yard taunts of "nuh-uh!". Without an argument, without evidence, without proof, how are we to know that it "indeed isn't true?" The subjective certitude of your tummy-feels are not a substitute for an objective, rational argument.

If you want to be taken seriously when disproving a claim, you need to engage with the claim you want to disprove. What premises were put forth in the original claim? Which are well supported and which are not? Why or why not does a given premise imply the next premise in the chain of argument? Does the conclusion follow from those premises or not? What was overlooked in the original claim? What is an alternative or contradictory interpretation of the evidence put forth to support the premises of the claim? What problems exist with the sources cited in the claim? Answers to these sorts of questions show that you're actually thinking when you declare that you don't buy a claim; screaming "fake news" shows that you're feeling, perhaps even passionately, but if any thought is occurring, you're keeping it to yourself.

This is critical thinking 101, not proving a negative. it's taking a positive claim, analyzing it, and pointing out where the parts of the claim are tendentious, weakly supported, or a nonsequitor. If something really isn't true, then you ought to able to show it, otherwise you can't account for your belief and you don't actually know that the thing isn't true.

This isn't a new religion: it's a rationalist form of thinking that has existed since at least Thales of Miletus, reached maturity under Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, disappeared in Western Europe for the millennium following the collapse of the Roman Empire, and reemerged in Renaissance Italy in the 15th century, eventually leading to the 17th century Enlightenment which formed the basis for the modern scientific method and classical liberalism, culminating in the birth of modern liberal democracy with the American Revolution of the 18th century. If you reject this "new religion", you reject the basis of liberal democracy, i.e. that politics can be a process of rational persuasion to reach a compromise that all interested parties can tolerate. If so, enjoy the return to the dark ages.

Give me your λογος, a reasoned account of the truth; a μυθος, a story that may or may not be true, won't cut it if you want to persuade anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

Sep 26, 2020, 17:38
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 17:38
Sep 26, 2020, 17:38

William Rubin wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 17:21:
Dude, so DAMN well said.

I've been ranting about tribalism destroying everything, especially politics for ages and I'm glad to find that there's another sane person in this universe.

How wrong you guys are. You got it totally backward and you do indeed sound like zealots.

What is a guy to do than to say something isn't true (or the news is fake) if it indeed isn't true? What evidence do you expect the guy to give? You want them to prove a negative. You guys are defending a new religion here and you don't even know it.

Sep 26, 2020, 17:21
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 17:21
Sep 26, 2020, 17:21

Dude, so DAMN well said.

I've been ranting about tribalism destroying everything, especially politics for ages and I'm glad to find that there's another sane person in this universe.

Sep 26, 2020, 12:14
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 12:14
Sep 26, 2020, 12:14

Kxmode wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 20:42:
Well, hell. So I guess the truthiness of the situation is that your initial instincts are correct and guilt by association is regrettably reinforced.

Even if, still not a good thing to do. For us there is no benefit guessing and not even sure if we even need to know much at all. This is a BS blah blah for the gamer and what they really want or should want, criminal activities go through courts.

Sep 26, 2020, 09:37
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 09:37
Sep 26, 2020, 09:37

buckrussell wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 09:16:

think about how dangerous what you just said is. you're trying to make it seem like there's no "fake news" and basically saying that if someone CLAIMS something is fake, they're admitting it's not. do you realize what you're saying? are you capable of realizing how disgustingly dangerous that ignorant mindset is? you're essentially trying to turn the news in to religion.

wake up.

Sep 26, 2020, 09:21
NKD
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 09:21
Sep 26, 2020, 09:21
NKD

buckrussell wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 09:12:
1 disgruntled employee (of which there are MANY in EVERY company) just has to say their boss did/said something mean or icky and it's game over.

Assuming that is true, why do you suppose we don't see more of this? Is it possible that it's not quite as easy as you say? If I wanted to accuse my boss of something, it's hard to imagine how I could get any traction. No one cares who my boss is, or who I am. I don't have millions of followers on Twitter or a public profile that would cause people to put any weight into what I say. Since my boss isn't actually a cunt, I'd have a hard time getting any co-workers to back me up, either.

buckrussell wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 09:16:

think about how dangerous what you just said is. you're trying to make it seem like there's no "fake news" and basically saying that if someone CLAIMS something is fake, they're admitting it's not. do you realize what you're saying? are you capable of realizing how disgustingly dangerous that ignorant mindset is? you're essentially trying to turn the news in to religion.

wake up.

Given that the phrase "fake news" is used almost exclusively by people to make patently false denials of what is demonstrably not fake, it's an ineffective way to claim that news is untrue. There is less loaded terminology that can be used with a denial.
"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Sep 26, 2020, 09:16
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 09:16
Sep 26, 2020, 09:16

wake up.

Sep 26, 2020, 09:12
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 09:12
Sep 26, 2020, 09:12

this is what happens when you coddle crybabies. cancel culture has realized the power they now have. 1 disgruntled employee (of which there are MANY in EVERY company) just has to say their boss did/said something mean or icky and it's game over.

it's pathetic but it's a sign of the times and we have no one but ourselves to blame for letting it get this bad. we'll find an equilibrium eventually. there definitely are inappropriate people out there but these perpetually outraged people will have you believe in a narrative that just doesn't exist.

it's a shame.

Sep 26, 2020, 08:55
NKD
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 08:55
Sep 26, 2020, 08:55
NKD

"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Sep 26, 2020, 02:53
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 26, 2020, 02:53
Sep 26, 2020, 02:53

I don't know anything about this guy, but his summary "Take few people with rage and jealousy and let them speak in the name of hundreds." is exactly what seems to have happened to Chris Avellone...

Sep 25, 2020, 22:16
Re: Report: Michel Ancel's Ubisoft Departure Came Amid Toxicity Allegations Sep 25, 2020, 22:16
Sep 25, 2020, 22:16

Well, I had forgotten how crazy good the 2017 demo had looked, I can't find any videos of the 2018 demo, only the pre-rendered Blur (or somebody else as good) studios CGI clips. There's a 2019 BG and E 2 demo video also, looks a bit worse than 2017, but more like an actual playable game.

I'm sure something will get released eventually by 2022 or so. Ubisoft definitely has the technical power to produce some massive and gorgeous game, the latest Ghost Recon is amazingly beautiful, if a bit boring. And they've done multiple massive AssCreed games with no problem.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older