Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed

Larian Studios offers new details about romance and companionship mechanics in Baldur's Gate 3 as the good news to go along with the bad news that Early Access to the RPG sequel is being delayed by a week. This means players' first chance to return through the gates of the game will now be October 6th. Community Update #7 - Romance & Companionship covers these topics and offers a new video. Word is: "As Baldur’s Gate 3 approaches its early access launch date of October 6, Larian Studios has revealed in a new video how party dynamics work in the upcoming RPG. Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game with a world that reacts to your choices. The decisions you make in dialogue, and also in combat or exploring the world, have consequences in both the long and short-term, shaping your unique story." They also now offer the game's system requirements on its various store pages. They are calling for minimum of an Intel i5-4690 or AMD FX 4350 CPU and an NVIDIA GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 280X graphics card. But their recommended specs include an Intel i7 4770k or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X paired with an NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB or AMD RX580. This tweet explains the short delay:
It's the year 2020! We're launching an active development build, which means that things can go right, or they can go wrong each time we compile a new one. Live development is different to "going gold" in that you never really have a "gold version".

Our guiding principle for early access is that it's fine for there to be smaller bugs or a few things that are lacking polish, but it needs to offer a fun game play experience with as few crashes as possible

We're nearly there but we had a few unexpected delays, and we still have some stability issues we're sifting through. Because of the delays, our translations are also later than expected and we want to ensure localization for the announced Early Access languages is strong enough for our international fans can have a good time.

Thankfully, a week's delay (to October 6th) is all we expect to need to triple check stability, and triple check localization.

We say expect because the game still has to pass the "World Tester. The World Tester is sort of AI super-gamer that plays through the game at incredible speed, stress testing everything and pushing it to its limits. This super-gamer is currently playing through, and the results are looking good but not perfect yet. We know that if the supergamer doesn't break the game, there's less chance you will. Not that we have any illusions you won't try!

As a result of all the testing that's been going on, we do know have our PC minimum requirements for day one, and you can check those on the store pages.

Early access is going to launch on October 6th on Stadia, Steam, and GOG. It is. It really is.

With love from Larian.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed
Sep 25, 2020, 09:34
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 25, 2020, 09:34
Sep 25, 2020, 09:34

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 04:20:
Quinn wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 18:37:
Will this be the first game that does romance right? As in, not plucked from the fantasy of a basement dwelling Redeye that can only hope for a shag in his deepest of dreams?

There's so much more to romance after the flirtations leading to sex. It's basically everything after that that makes it interesting, yet all RPGs stop the romance development after The Fuck. Pathetic.

Have you played the Witcher3? Probably the only game I've ever played where I cared about how my character interacts with his girlfriend.

Hmm yes you're right, The Witcher 3 is the only exception I think!

Sep 25, 2020, 04:20
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 25, 2020, 04:20
Sep 25, 2020, 04:20

Quinn wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 18:37:
Will this be the first game that does romance right? As in, not plucked from the fantasy of a basement dwelling Redeye that can only hope for a shag in his deepest of dreams?

There's so much more to romance after the flirtations leading to sex. It's basically everything after that that makes it interesting, yet all RPGs stop the romance development after The Fuck. Pathetic.

Have you played the Witcher3? Probably the only game I've ever played where I cared about how my character interacts with his girlfriend.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2020, 04:55.

Sep 24, 2020, 18:37
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 18:37
Sep 24, 2020, 18:37

Sep 24, 2020, 17:10
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 17:10
Sep 24, 2020, 17:10

Go for the eyes Boo! wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 10:07:
The previous Baldur's Gate games had a maximum of 6 total party members, Larian's version only allows for 4. This is inadequate for proper party balance and is a red flag.
Says who? There is no rule in D&D that says parties have to be 6 characters. IIRC, NWN only allowed two NPC companions and NWN2 was four.

The camera positioning in Divinity Original Sin 2 is also a bit wonky as you can't quite get the angle you want and while you can rotate and pan easily, too often you are at an angle you can't use and must adjust.

That's why they had a key to press to switch to top down view if you needed more precision to target a spell and something was blocking your view.

Lastly, there is a weird difficulty curve to DOS:2 that the game starts with, somewhat challenging and counter intuitive: You must semi-retreat from the battle to avoid the unfair kill-box that most battles start with.
Unfair? You're a prisoner on a prison island. Your source is muted by the collar and you're wearing rags and have crap equipment. It's meant to be difficult at the start. You remind me of the friends I started a game with that tried fighting everything right off the boat and whining when they got their asses kicked.

Not to mention action points have no place in a D&D setting.
DOS2 is not D&D. BG3 is not going to have action points.

I ask myself why did Larian take on this project?
WotC picked Larian to make BG3, and WotC is working with them to make it. Larian didn't just decide to do this on their own.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Sep 24, 2020, 12:32
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 12:32
Sep 24, 2020, 12:32

Cutter wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 10:47:
Whatchew talkin' 'bout, Willis? Original D&D was 4 member parties, Wizard, Cleric, Warrior, and Thief. I much prefer 4 or even 2 over 6+.

And once you lone wolf it, several will like the elegance of one.

Sep 24, 2020, 12:31
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 12:31
Sep 24, 2020, 12:31

wtf_man wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 09:54:
So let me get this straight (looking at screenshots)... they're keeping isometric but mixing it with full 3rd person in camp and in cut scenes to be like Dragon Age?

Yes, to me this is the step forward from DOS's, the cinematics will be greatly enhanced, looking much more like a bioware game of yore. You will also be able to take a more 3rd FPS pov while playing as well.

Sep 24, 2020, 10:51
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 10:51
Sep 24, 2020, 10:51

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 10:36:
Overall I found the combat in the D:OS series to be fun and pretty involved; I'd like 6 characters to use, but I can probably tolerate 4 for Larian's style of tactical turn based battles. Unfortunately I think even a lot of BG fans were not fond of the Real Time with Pause combat, even though I enjoy it. Any company these days is going to lean towards turn based, I think. I don't know if we'll ever get another RTwP, large party (6+) RPG.
Six characters was good for BG's pause-able real time combat since things could go fast for even large battles. For slower turn-based combat, having only four main people probably doubles the speed of most combat encounters if with six. I remember D:OS1 having these huge, sprawling battles that sometimes took an hour to finish. I think they are doing what they can to mitigate that slog.

Sep 24, 2020, 10:47
Cutter

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 10:47
Sep 24, 2020, 10:47
 Cutter

Whatchew talkin' 'bout, Willis? Original D&D was 4 member parties, Wizard, Cleric, Warrior, and Thief. I much prefer 4 or even 2 over 6+.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 24, 2020, 10:36
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 10:36
Sep 24, 2020, 10:36

I will definitely miss the 6 character parties, but I liked D:OS and D:OS2 quite a bit, so I expect BG3 will be enjoyable too. Whether or not Larian will do 'justice' to D&D in everybody's eyes... I doubt it, but that's any established IP, people will always be pissed off at various interpretations.

Ground hazards/junk items... meh, well yes that's from D:OS series, but there were traps and boxes haphazardly in the BG series as well.

Overall I found the combat in the D:OS series to be fun and pretty involved; I'd like 6 characters to use, but I can probably tolerate 4 for Larian's style of tactical turn based battles. Unfortunately I think even a lot of BG fans were not fond of the Real Time with Pause combat, even though I enjoy it. Any company these days is going to lean towards turn based, I think. I don't know if we'll ever get another RTwP, large party (6+) RPG.

Sep 24, 2020, 10:07
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 10:07
Sep 24, 2020, 10:07

The previous Baldur's Gate games had a maximum of 6 total party members, Larian's version only allows for 4. This is inadequate for proper party balance and is a red flag. After playing Divinity Original Sin 2, which Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be a clone of, I do not think the D&D atmosphere, mechanics or visuals will be correctly presented.

Also, modding Divinity Original Sin 2 was/is problematic, none of the mods I applied work now (they did) and you can not access the console except from the editor, so console codes are unavailable.

The camera positioning in Divinity Original Sin 2 is also a bit wonky as you can't quite get the angle you want and while you can rotate and pan easily, too often you are at an angle you can't use and must adjust.

There are other issues with DOS:2, such as the excessive ground hazards and far too many general clickable clutter/junk items. Also, there is a complete lack of humor in the dialog and presentation. So you can turn into a bush while sneaking, that's not humor. Lastly, there is a weird difficulty curve to DOS:2 that the game starts with, somewhat challenging and counter intuitive: You must semi-retreat from the battle to avoid the unfair kill-box that most battles start with. Not to mention action points have no place in a D&D setting.

There were many things that made the pervious Baldur's Gate games memorable such as the well developed characters loaded with personality and the memorable dialog and of course the almost perfect soundtrack, the original Divine Divinity games had the amazing Late Kiril Pokrovsky who was as talented as Michael Hoenig (who scored the original Baldur's Gate series) but so far the music presented in the BG3 trailers is IMHO terrible and unsuitable.

I have very low expectations for Larian's interpretation of BG3 based on the weaknesses of DOS:2 which will most likely find their way into the game since everything I have seen so far of BG3 is a reskin/variant of DOS:2. I ask myself why did Larian take on this project?

Sep 24, 2020, 09:54
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 09:54
Sep 24, 2020, 09:54

So let me get this straight (looking at screenshots)... they're keeping isometric but mixing it with full 3rd person in camp and in cut scenes to be like Dragon Age?
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Sep 24, 2020, 09:04
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 09:04
Sep 24, 2020, 09:04

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 03:04:
The characters look kind of uncanny. Weird...

Anyone else getting these strange vibes?

They seem to be shaking or wobbling when they talk (sometimes).

Sep 24, 2020, 03:04
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 24, 2020, 03:04
Sep 24, 2020, 03:04

The characters look kind of uncanny. Weird...

Anyone else getting these strange vibes?

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2020, 04:42.

Sep 23, 2020, 21:59
Cram

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 23, 2020, 21:59
Sep 23, 2020, 21:59
 Cram

This is Gorions fault.

"Gorion would be proud of your actions" my ass.

Sep 23, 2020, 20:52
Cutter

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 23, 2020, 20:52
Sep 23, 2020, 20:52
 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2020, 20:43:
Cram wrote on Sep 23, 2020, 20:06:
this is Imoen's fault.

HOW DARE YOU.

I'm looking forward to this game with great anticipation; definitely going to buy the Gog version; hope the Stadia launch fails utterly(for all games, not just this one); and I'll be avoiding all spoilers.

My thanks in advance to the people who will be in the open beta test though!

Didn't know it was coming to GoG, thanks for the headsup, I'll grab it from there for sure.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 23, 2020, 20:43
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 23, 2020, 20:43
Sep 23, 2020, 20:43

Cram wrote on Sep 23, 2020, 20:06:
this is Imoen's fault.

HOW DARE YOU.

I'm looking forward to this game with great anticipation; definitely going to buy the Gog version; hope the Stadia launch fails utterly(for all games, not just this one); and I'll be avoiding all spoilers.

My thanks in advance to the people who will be in the open beta test though!

Sep 23, 2020, 20:22
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 23, 2020, 20:22
Sep 23, 2020, 20:22

I think Baldur's Gate 3 and Demon's Souls are the two games I'm most looking forward to now.

Sep 23, 2020, 20:06
Cram

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access One Week Delay; System Specs Revealed Sep 23, 2020, 20:06
Sep 23, 2020, 20:06
 Cram

this is Imoen's fault.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older