Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer

Rocket League is now available on its new home on the Epic Games Store at its new price point of zero dollars. A post on the Rocket League Website has word on the free-to-play release. The motorized sports game is no longer listed on Steam, but those who own it there can still access and play the game as before. As an incentive for them to jump ship and for everyone else who has yet to try the game, Epic is offering an Epic Coupon to all who pick up a copy through them over the next 30 days. Here's word:
Limited-time Event. You will only receive an Epic Coupon for placing an order for Rocket League until October 23, 2020 at 11AM Eastern Time. All Epic Coupons received from placing an order for Rocket League will expire on November 1st 2020, 2:59 AM Eastern Time. Epic Coupons can only be redeemed for purchases of qualifying digital games and add-ons that are available to play on the Epic Games Store webpage (https://www.epicgames.com/store/). Not valid on pre-purchases or any other purchases such as in-game purchases (e.g. V-bucks or currency).

Qualifying games and add-ons must be a minimum price of $14.99 after any promotions and discounts are applied. Taxes and other fees do not apply toward the minimum purchase requirement.

You must have an active Epic account. Epic Coupon will be automatically applied at checkout to your next qualifying purchase in the Epic Games Store.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer
Sep 25, 2020, 07:01
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 25, 2020, 07:01
Sep 25, 2020, 07:01

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 04:40:
Having to add a few friends on EGS is hardly a burden. The developer has even gone out of its way to make sure that existing owners of the game will be able to maintain their purchases.
That doesn't seem like what he complained about, just in the part you quoted.

Sure it would be great if EGS had feature parity but it took Valve many years to develop all the features and expecting otherwise from EGS is unfair.
I think Beamer uses this argument a lot, but do consumers really buy inferior products on the basis of fairness? It doesn't seem to me that Microsoft launched the original Xbox with an Atari 2600 feature set, claiming that it was unfair to expect parity with Sony or Nintendo's years of market experience. Tesla didn't start with worse cars than everyone else. Google and Apple didn't enter the email and media player/phone markets with sheepish, what-can-you-do postures. What's a relevant example here, especially now, 2 years after the launch of the modern EGS? Games for Windows Live? The Zune? When trend-chasing team shooter or battle royale games show up on Blue's with less than cutting edge graphics, it seems to me that the response is less, "It wouldn't be fair to compare these to games that have been out for over a year," and more "lol".

Sep 25, 2020, 04:40
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 25, 2020, 04:40
Sep 25, 2020, 04:40

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 03:38:
He has a point... It's a Top 10 game on Steam by player count, been that way pretty consistently since it came out, and now the store page doesn't exist. They're leaving a hell of a lot of valuable advertisement and organic growth on the table by making it EGS exclusive, in hopes of it really blowing up there and providing them a bunch of royalty-free microtransaction revenue. 'Cause it sure isn't a move that benefits the PC community as a whole. What's stopping them from discontinuing the Steam version altogether, once they feel they've given enough time for people willing to migrate to do so? I guess we'll see how well these devs are able to resist the influence of Sweeney's vendetta.
The game is now free and comes with a £10 voucher. Claiming that doesn't benefit the PC community is disingenuous.

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 03:38:
As for cross-play, there's no denying RL has been at the forefront of that movement, but it came about before the acquisition and is only seamless when the people on another platform are strangers being randomly matched with you. You have to set up a new in-game friends list with your "RocketID" in order to create cross-platform parties, which means you lose out on any added functionality afforded by Steam friends and even the most basic functionality offered by Epic friends (the ability to see if someone's online but not in-game and invite them to join you). That's pretty much the opposite of convenience.
Having to add a few friends on EGS is hardly a burden. The developer has even gone out of its way to make sure that existing owners of the game will be able to maintain their purchases. Sure it would be great if EGS had feature parity but it took Valve many years to develop all the features and expecting otherwise from EGS is unfair.

I'm really beyond caring which platform a game appears on. GOG Galaxy can keep them all in one place to make things easier anyway. More competition is better for the market in the long run.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 25, 2020, 03:38
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 25, 2020, 03:38
Sep 25, 2020, 03:38

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 25, 2020, 02:35:
The Pyro wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 11:46:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 07:11:
What is wrong with free stuff? This is fucking awesome.

Nothin' wrong with free stuff, but yanking the game off of Steam is kindof of a dick move. I'm assuming this game is integrated with the Steam friends' list? So if you already own the game on Steam, now none of your friends have the option of buying it on that platform to conveniently join your games?
Of course they don't have the option of buying it on their preferred platform - the game is free. The developers have also gone out of their way to make sure that existing owners are able to link their profiles and retain additional items.

People are acting like Epic touched them in their naughty place.

He has a point... It's a Top 10 game on Steam by player count, been that way pretty consistently since it came out, and now the store page doesn't exist. They're leaving a hell of a lot of valuable advertisement and organic growth on the table by making it EGS exclusive, in hopes of it really blowing up there and providing them a bunch of royalty-free microtransaction revenue. 'Cause it sure isn't a move that benefits the PC community as a whole. What's stopping them from discontinuing the Steam version altogether, once they feel they've given enough time for people willing to migrate to do so? I guess we'll see how well these devs are able to resist the influence of Sweeney's vendetta.

As for cross-play, there's no denying RL has been at the forefront of that movement, but it came about before the acquisition and is only seamless when the people on another platform are strangers being randomly matched with you. You have to set up a new in-game friends list with your "RocketID" in order to create cross-platform parties, which means you lose out on any added functionality afforded by Steam friends and even the most basic functionality offered by Epic friends (the ability to see if someone's online but not in-game and invite them to join you). That's pretty much the opposite of convenience.

Sep 25, 2020, 02:35
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 25, 2020, 02:35
Sep 25, 2020, 02:35

Nothin' wrong with free stuff, but yanking the game off of Steam is kindof of a dick move. I'm assuming this game is integrated with the Steam friends' list? So if you already own the game on Steam, now none of your friends have the option of buying it on that platform to conveniently join your games?
Of course they don't have the option of buying it on their preferred platform - the game is free. The developers have also gone out of their way to make sure that existing owners are able to link their profiles and retain additional items.

People are acting like Epic touched them in their naughty place.

Sep 25, 2020, 00:17
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 25, 2020, 00:17
Sep 25, 2020, 00:17

The Pyro wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 13:49:
Razumen wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 13:07:
Another wrong assumption: Cross play IS enabled by default. You're just looking for something to complain about and can't even be arsed to read up on it.

From the very first Google search result about Rocket Arena crossplay: "you have to manually enable crossplay in order to enjoy the feature". Now maybe this article is outdated and wrong, but there's a limit to how deeply I'm willing to dig for information about a game I don't own, particularly when there are no obvious clues that the information I've already obtained is outdated.

The rest of my points still stand.

It's literally written out in the support article I linked earlier, that you obviously didn't read. If the official site says otherwise, that's a pretty damn good clue your information you've "obtained" is outdated.

The rest is just utter laziness on your friend's part. Buying a game on EGS is no harder than buying a game on Steam.

Sep 24, 2020, 13:49
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 13:49
Sep 24, 2020, 13:49

Razumen wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 13:07:
Another wrong assumption: Cross play IS enabled by default. You're just looking for something to complain about and can't even be arsed to read up on it.

From the very first Google search result about Rocket Arena crossplay: "you have to manually enable crossplay in order to enjoy the feature". Now maybe this article is outdated and wrong, but there's a limit to how deeply I'm willing to dig for information about a game I don't own, particularly when there are no obvious clues that the information I've already obtained is outdated.

The rest of my points still stand.

Sep 24, 2020, 13:07
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 13:07
Sep 24, 2020, 13:07

The Pyro wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 12:29:
You're assuming wrong: you can play with friends on different platforms

No, I did not assume that crossplay was impossible. My point is that the convenience is a feature. Let's assume I'm on Steam and my buddy is also on Steam. I have Rocket Arena already, he doesn't. Previously, if he saw me playing the game, he could just click on the game from the Steam friends list and buy it, then join me just as easily.

Now, though, he can't buy the game on Steam. He has to manually search for the game in a different store. He'll need to download and install EGS - which he may not be willing to do. And once it's installed, there's still additional hoops to jump through: cross-play is not enabled by default, and I'm not on EGS so at a minimum there will be an extra step to add me as an in-game friend or something. Again, I don't actually own RA, so maybe some of these details are wrong... but ultimately I believe the Steam version just became slightly less convenient for existing users.

Sep 24, 2020, 12:29
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 12:29
Sep 24, 2020, 12:29

No, I did not assume that crossplay was impossible. My point is that the convenience is a feature. Let's assume I'm on Steam and my buddy is also on Steam. I have Rocket Arena already, he doesn't. Previously, if he saw me playing the game, he could just click on the game from the Steam friends list and buy it, then join me just as easily.

Now, though, he can't buy the game on Steam. He has to manually search for the game in a different store. He'll need to download and install EGS - which he may not be willing to do. And once it's installed, there's still additional hoops to jump through: cross-play is not enabled by default, and I'm not on EGS so at a minimum there will be an extra step to add me as an in-game friend or something. Again, I don't actually own RA, so maybe some of these details are wrong... but ultimately I believe the Steam version just became slightly less convenient for existing users.

Sep 24, 2020, 11:51
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 11:51
Sep 24, 2020, 11:51

That's basically taking away a valuable feature from people who already own the game.

Sep 24, 2020, 11:46
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 11:46
Sep 24, 2020, 11:46

That's basically taking away a valuable feature from people who already own the game.

Sep 24, 2020, 11:09
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 11:09
Sep 24, 2020, 11:09

Is it safe to buy games on epic or will it all crumble under the foot of Apple?

Sep 24, 2020, 11:04
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 11:04
Sep 24, 2020, 11:04

necrosis wrote on Sep 24, 2020, 06:04:
And also pulled from Steam because Epic is an asshole.

You can still play it on Steam if you have it already, big deal.

Sep 24, 2020, 10:06
Dev

Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 10:06
Sep 24, 2020, 10:06
 Dev

They are hoping this will be the next fortnite if enough people play it, and fortnite is heading downwards. Not going to turn down the coupon though

Sep 24, 2020, 09:27
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 09:27
Sep 24, 2020, 09:27

paying me $10 to take a free game .....

*snagged*

Sep 24, 2020, 08:24
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 08:24
Sep 24, 2020, 08:24

Well, that was unexpected. I grabbed it and used the voucher to get Crysis Remastered for £17.99. For what it's worth I think EGS has been brilliant for me as a consumer - cheaper prices and lots of free games.

Sep 24, 2020, 07:11
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 07:11
Sep 24, 2020, 07:11

Sep 24, 2020, 06:04
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 24, 2020, 06:04
Sep 24, 2020, 06:04

And also pulled from Steam because Epic is an asshole.

Sep 23, 2020, 21:54
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 23, 2020, 21:54
Sep 23, 2020, 21:54

They heard we like smurfs and cheaters, so they not only removed the already modest barrier to entry, but incentivized claiming extra copies on a separate platform, as well...

Sep 23, 2020, 20:01
Re: Free Rocket League Launches on Epic Games Store with Epic Coupon Offer Sep 23, 2020, 20:01
Sep 23, 2020, 20:01

I'm not all that excited about RL but i do like me sum coupons.

Blue did not post the amount
It's $10
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older