Out of the Blue

Well spring has sprung in the southern hemisphere, which means fall has fallen here in the northern, as today is the first day of autumn. The autumnal equinox passed at around 9:30 am EDT this morning. One does not need a calendar to know that the summer has ended in these parts, as it was 32℉ when I got up this morning, a little warmer than the 30℉ the mercury showed at the same time yesterday. So happy autumn to all of us up here, and happy spring down under.

Another occasion falls today as it's National Voter Registration Day here in the U.S. I don't think anyone needs convincing about the importance of voting this year, as well as in general. It certainly is possible that the pandemic will affect turnout, so each vote may be that much more important. This page has resources to help with this.

Finally, a story on Variety highlights the plight of Michael Hogan, as the Battlestar Galactica star is plagued by a number of health problems after a fall in February (thanks Neutronbeam). He suffered a brain bleed, leaving him with paralysis on his left side, memory loss, and other problems. Here's a link to the Michael Hogan Fund on GoFundMe which is helping to raise money for his medical and living expenses, as it is considered unlikely that he will ever be able to return to his work.

Fallen Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Science

Media

View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Raised by Wolves
Sep 27, 2020, 18:30
Ant

Raised by Wolves Sep 27, 2020, 18:30
Sep 27, 2020, 18:30
 Ant

It's awesome!
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 23, 2020, 17:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2020, 17:47
Sep 23, 2020, 17:47

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2020, 15:42:
Raised By Wolves feels like it could have been awesome, as it is, for me, it falls flat. The last remnants of humanity (I'm talking like 20 people, tops) are a bunch of religious whackjobs on a poisoned planet, with a few hidden atheists. Probably realistic, but not fun to watch. Also, the logic of the super androids and what exactly would have happened on Earth seem ridiculous.
Hmm, that does seem like a bit of a stretch for a storyline. Definitely reduces the small amount of interest I had...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 23, 2020, 15:42
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2020, 15:42
Sep 23, 2020, 15:42

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 20:52:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 19:50:
Just a fyi, final episode of season 1, of Raised By Wolves airs in 2 or 3 days, depending on geolocation, iirc.

How is it? The trailers were too reminiscent of Scott's recent pablum like Prometheus and Covenant, so I've avoided it.

Side note: I just discovered that pablum and pabulum are opposites.

Raised By Wolves feels like it could have been awesome, as it is, for me, it falls flat. The last remnants of humanity (I'm talking like 20 people, tops) are a bunch of religious whackjobs on a poisoned planet, with a few hidden atheists. Probably realistic, but not fun to watch. Also, the logic of the super androids and what exactly would have happened on Earth seem ridiculous.

Sep 23, 2020, 13:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2020, 13:25
Sep 23, 2020, 13:25

Acleacius wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 17:36:
Is there anyway, the LogIn to post could actually go where intended, once LoggedIn?

I.e.
1. If I come to the site, see a topic where no one has posted yet and click to comment. I get taken to LogIn and complete, then it just stalls instead of taking me where I clicked and wanted to post.
Atm, I have to click to the main page again, then click on the comment again and then I'm allowed to post.

2. If there are already posts in a topic, and clicking on a topic takes me to LogIn. Then once LoggedIn it stalls, but now there is an extra click "return to previous page"
(sorry, that's from memory and paraphrasing). Once again it would be nice to actually go to the page we intended, once LoggedIn.

Thanks, please be gentle, I'm a first time complainer! Winkrazz Giggle

Frans had to recall what was up with this, as it came up a while back. It is an Apache behavior, and the short answer is that while it may be possible to work around this limitation, it will be a bit kludgy. It doesn't come up that often, as it shouldn't be a problem for most users, since our login cookie will persist for a year after your last login. So I'm sorry to say this probably not something that's going to be addressed anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2020, 15:13.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Sep 23, 2020, 09:34
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2020, 09:34
Sep 23, 2020, 09:34

Acleacius wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 17:36:
Is there anyway, the LogIn to post could actually go where intended, once LoggedIn?

I brought this to Frans' attention, since he usually doesn't keep up with news comments. Let me take this opportunity to remind you and anyone else with this kind of feedback that he's far more likely to see such comments posted in the general discussion forums, which actually exist.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2020, 15:13.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

A good boy
Sep 23, 2020, 07:50
A good boy Sep 23, 2020, 07:50
Sep 23, 2020, 07:50

A dog can detect coronavirus with as few as 10 molecules, normal medical tests need 18 million.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Sep 23, 2020, 02:57
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2020, 02:57
Sep 23, 2020, 02:57

mag wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 19:17:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 18:25:
NASA plans for return to Moon to cost $28 billion.

Problem, poor starving people?

If it makes you feel any better, that money never would have gone to poor starving people.

Yup this, pretty much. Also, I have no faith in NASA's bullshit claims to recreate the Apollo program. They are basically doing it from scratch with basically the same technology (apart from electronics and computer upgrades, exactly the same) to get people to do exactly the same missions they they did in 1969.

Im all for human exploration of space but this is not the way to go about it.

Sep 22, 2020, 23:54
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 23:54
Sep 22, 2020, 23:54

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 20:52:
Just a fyi, final episode of season 1, of Raised By Wolves airs in 2 or 3 days, depending on geolocation, iirc.

How is it? The trailers were too reminiscent of Scott's recent pablum like Prometheus and Covenant, so I've avoided it.

I really like it, and has some cool world building, character building and Ridley Scott (bonus in this case . It's got so much going on for 8 episodes there's no way they could get to them all
with the last episode. Unless, all the geographic, psychological, alien, religious, atheistic, spiritual and paranormal threads are all connected fitting together in an hour?
Headscratch Amazed Faint
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Sep 22, 2020, 20:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 20:52
Sep 22, 2020, 20:52

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 22, 2020, 19:50
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 19:50
Sep 22, 2020, 19:50

The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Sep 22, 2020, 19:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 19:38
Sep 22, 2020, 19:38

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 19:21:
missiles, tanks and bombers
Don't forget the multi-billion dollar bailouts for billion dollar corporations...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 22, 2020, 19:21
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 19:21
Sep 22, 2020, 19:21

mag wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 19:17:

If it makes you feel any better, that money never would have gone to poor starving people.
missiles, tanks and bombers Bombers & BailOuts

edit per Mr. Tact

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2020, 19:40.
A mask is an IQ test
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Blaise Pascal

Sep 22, 2020, 19:17
mag
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 19:17
Sep 22, 2020, 19:17
mag

Sep 22, 2020, 18:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 18:25
Sep 22, 2020, 18:25

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 22, 2020, 17:36
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 17:36
Sep 22, 2020, 17:36

I.e.
1. If I come to the site, see a topic where no one has posted yet and click to comment. I get taken to LogIn and complete, then it just stalls instead of taking me where I clicked and wanted to post.
Atm, I have to click to the main page again, then click on the comment again and then I'm allowed to post.

2. If there are already posts in a topic, and clicking on a topic takes me to LogIn. Then once LoggedIn it stalls, but now there is an extra click "return to previous page"
(sorry, that's from memory and paraphrasing). Once again it would be nice to actually go to the page we intended, once LoggedIn.

Thanks, please be gentle, I'm a first time complainer! Winkrazz Giggle

Sep 22, 2020, 17:34
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 17:34
Sep 22, 2020, 17:34
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 15:48:
Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 13:03:

And whilst I empathize for Michael Hogan why does he require a fundraiser? He was a very well paid actor. Plus he's Canadian residing in Canada. Virtually all of his medical costs should be covered. And if he has supplemental insurance than it's all covered.

I don't know how the Canadian system works, but reading online last night, some people were saying if you make too much money you're on the hook for the whole thing. Hospitalization costs about $7000 per day in Canada, and he's been hospitalized since February. That would be around $1.4M. Michael has been working regularly, but the vast majority have been bit parts. I'd be surprised if he has been clearing six figures over the past decade. That's solidly middle class at this point. Can you (or anyone) clarify how he may have ended up in financial dire straights?

The other thing is that even if all his medical costs are covered, neither he nor his wife have been working this year at all due to his injury. $62K sounds like just enough to squeak by for a year.

No, it doesn't work like that here. There's no premium if you make less than 20k a year. And even the maximum - if you make over 200K per year - is only $900 per year. Beyond that he'd be on disability now in which case he wouldn't be paying anything for meds, hospital related stuff, etc.. And physiotherapy is generally covered in all provinces too I believe. Disability also pays $1200 a month for rent/food. I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't own their house outright, but even with property taxes, groceries, misc. the two of them should be covered just fine - unless his wife doesn't work for some strange reason. And I can't believe they don't have any savings after several decades. Point is, there are plenty of people in that same boat - disability wise - here who don't have anywhere near what he has and would be far better candidates for funding.

We really need to figure out how to do an UBI and a new mode of work for society in general. Put people on UBIs to work a few days a week in agriculture - farms, hothouses, etc. and stop importing slave labor. That's win-win. More food produced for a society to support itself, and/or scale up even more to export some of it to subsidize the UBI costs. Things of that nature.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Sep 22, 2020, 16:36
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 16:36
Sep 22, 2020, 16:36

Too middle of the road, this equinox business.
A mask is an IQ test

Sep 22, 2020, 15:48
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 15:48
Sep 22, 2020, 15:48

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 13:03:

And whilst I empathize for Michael Hogan why does he require a fundraiser? He was a very well paid actor. Plus he's Canadian residing in Canada. Virtually all of his medical costs should be covered. And if he has supplemental insurance than it's all covered.

I don't know how the Canadian system works, but reading online last night, some people were saying if you make too much money you're on the hook for the whole thing. Hospitalization costs about $7000 per day in Canada, and he's been hospitalized since February. That would be around $1.4M. Michael has been working regularly, but the vast majority have been bit parts. I'd be surprised if he has been clearing six figures over the past decade. That's solidly middle class at this point. Can you (or anyone) clarify how he may have ended up in financial dire straights?

The other thing is that even if all his medical costs are covered, neither he nor his wife have been working this year at all due to his injury. $62K sounds like just enough to squeak by for a year.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2020, 15:59.

Sep 22, 2020, 15:19
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 15:19
Sep 22, 2020, 15:19

Saw that story on Michael Hogan last night. Hope he gets better soon.

Sep 22, 2020, 13:03
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2020, 13:03
Sep 22, 2020, 13:03
 Cutter

I know it's not required but I think seasons should be captitalized to avoid confusion with words such as spring and fall. We capitalize days and months. Also numerical notations should always be day/month/year. It drives me nuts when they go month/day/year. 9/7/2020. What month and day is that?

Why waste 30 billion bucks to go back to the Moon? If it's worth it let the private sector finance it. I'm with Gil Scott Heron on this one....

"Was all that money I made last year
for Whitey on the moon?
How come there ain't no money here?
Hm! Whitey's on the moon
Y'know I just about had my fill
of Whitey on the moon
I think I'll send these doctor bills,
Airmail special
to Whitey on the moon"

Too late for a climate change clock. We're doomed. Even if everyone and their dog recycle, go alternative energy, blah, blah, blah - and that ain't gonna' happen - the planet is too overpopulated and getting worse by the day. Even with a pandemic - which is pretty mild compared to many the world has seen like the Black Death, Spanish, Flu, et al. - we see the already vulnerable parts of the world are in serious dire straits now. And with the resurgence and winter coming, many more businesses will go under and unemployment will spike big time again. If we can't handle something this simple - by comparison - how the fuck are we supposed to save the planet? Holding hands and singing "We Are the World" just ain't gonna' cut it. Still, that was a good tune though.

"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older