7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Sep 19, 2020, 13:16
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2020, 13:16
Sep 19, 2020, 13:16

ME was imo overstated in how bad it was. Now in comparison '95/ME/XP are shit compared to Win7 and Win10. If Win7 came out instead of XP, Apple would have been a much different company today perhaps even 180 degrees different. That is when many business professionals converted, the height of spyware/crapware/crashes/viruses imo was 2004. If all that didn't happen many more would have stayed with PC's, talking business here, but it all synergizes together.

As for this remaster, scam-worthy from what I see.

Sep 19, 2020, 11:25
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2020, 11:25
Sep 19, 2020, 11:25

ME wasn't that bad--certainly no worse than any Win9x OS. I've always read other people talk about how bad it was but I don't recall having any special problems with it. Win8 came as the result of that moron Ballmer in Microsoft not knowing what to do as the CEO--so he just tried to copy Apple and he put this Mac shill @ Microsoft in charge of OS design. Both that guy and Win8 are history (as is Ballmer, thankfully.) A little known fact about Win8 or Win10, for instance, is that tiles are 100% optional. Win 8 killed the start menu, too--another terrible move. I use the standard start menu in Win10--it's fine--and, again, I use it sans tiles. I've been running versions of Win10 since Oct 1 2014 (Insider's beta program) and have never used tiles. I think tiles are fine for touch-sceen devices, but you don't want them in mouse-kybrd operation, imo--too big, waste too much screen space, and ooogly...;)

What I bought Vista for was the 64-bit Version, which I ran on my AMD A64 CPU at the time, back when Intel was trying to sell the world on IA64--unsuccessfully, thank goodness. Very few drivers...but fortunately I found that using Winx64 drivers usually worked with my hardware at the time, IIRC.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 19, 2020, 08:44
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2020, 08:44
Sep 19, 2020, 08:44

As an IT Engineer during the Win 98/ME/2000 era, I have mixed feeling about Win Me. I remember the main issues being related to drivers. MS promised us that Win98 drivers would work with ME, but that turned out to be a load of crap, and a lot of hardware vendors were very slow to release fully compatible drivers.

In my experience, ME was generally as good as 98 (maybe even slightly more stable), as long as you got it pre-installed from a major OEM that had good drivers for it. Upgrades from 98 and even clean installs were very problematic, even when you thought you had up to date drivers.

Of course, I personally had given up on DOS based Windows long before ME came out. My main rig ran Windows NT Workstation and eventually Win 2000.

Oh, and Win8 was fine. Up until a CPU upgrade that forced me to upgrade to Win10 last year (CPU was not supported by Win8.1) I had been running 8.1 on my main workstation. With Classic Shell to restore the classic start menu, and setup as a local user, 8.1 was very stable, and it was a lot easier to remove the crapware services from it than it is in Win10. Win 10 really is just the 8.1 kernel with a boatload of 'social media' and 'phone home' crap bolted on top of it.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2020, 09:33.
“The context of social networks serving as amplifiers for idiots and crazy people is not what we intended.” - Eric Schmidt

Sep 19, 2020, 05:31
El Pit

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2020, 05:31
Sep 19, 2020, 05:31
 El Pit

Crysis 2020 is a mess. A total mess. It seems all people that turned the original FarCry and Crysis into technical revolutions are loooong gone.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 18, 2020, 23:24
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 18, 2020, 23:24
Sep 18, 2020, 23:24

Honestly, I never had any real issues with Windows ME. I remember that the newly introduced restore point stuff was wonky as well as a major system hog but I turned that off in favor of manual backups anyway so I was barely affected by any of that stuff.
Otherwise it was a solid OS for me as a regular gamer Joe who played games, surfed the web, checked e-mails (Outlook Express FTW) and used MS Office occasionally. I never really got the drama surrounding Windows ME. It was fine for me. Yeah, XP was better and I was glad when I made the switch because of all of the new features in XP but ME was imo miles better than 98SE or 95B. You only had to know what to disable and then it was a pimped up, much more stable Win 98SE/Win2K hybrid that ran really well. It wasn't an OS for casuals and n00bs tho so that might have gotten it the bad rep.

Re: The worst version of Windows ever released.
Sep 18, 2020, 23:08
Re: The worst version of Windows ever released. Sep 18, 2020, 23:08
Sep 18, 2020, 23:08

dear blue, please do not link opinion pieced that do not offer any comments section so that we can properly inform the editor they are wrong.

Windows me was a bit of an unstable mess. I liked it in some cases because it featured all the updates in a single install. windows update took for ever to work, if it did.

On the other hand to think windows 8 was bad is just plain retarded. No seriously that editor needs to be fired. You MAY not have liked the Metro touch interface, even though to this day we still have laptops with touch displays who are hobbled by the LACK OF.. but under the hood Windows 8 had everything good about windows 7 and more. If you ignored METRO, it was still a faster and more stable windows 7 with new features.

As I have lived through them all, Windows ME was probably the lowest point, but honestly windows 95 and 98 rounded the entire year out into what was actually a pretty horrible OS. For all the features it brought to us, it had just as many bugs and exploits. Things were soooo bad that people actually turned to windows 2000, which was NOT a consumer level OS, it was the next version of NT for businesses. However because businesses needed something that wasnt going to crash every 15 minutes they had to make the OS a little more robust. XP came out of the gates and fell on its face, but recovered and finally beat out windows 2000 as a better OS (my conversion point was a strange performance issue on need for speed underground 2 that did not fix itself with a fresh install. I decided to go to xp and never turned back).

When vista came out it was eventually windows 7 beta. A lot of windows was re written and it featured much needed security updates, but stability took a hit. I personally had no problem with it, but I won't ignore the many others that I read about. Windows 7 was the final version of vista, windows 8 added an interface as well as features under the hood that made windows a good tablet usable operating system (Boot times that didnt suck and more low power modes supported. FAST BOOT! )

Honestly windows 10 is just windows 8 with the metro screen shrunk down, and just the usual incremental updates like dx 12 and a much better update program.

The worst version of Windows ever released.
Sep 18, 2020, 22:41
The worst version of Windows ever released. Sep 18, 2020, 22:41
Sep 18, 2020, 22:41

All of them*?

*The exceptions being Windows 2000 and Windows 7 Professional.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older