11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Mobilization
Sep 17, 2020, 04:15
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2020, 04:15
Sep 17, 2020, 04:15

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 15:08:
What people think aviation autopilots do
“œEverything. Literally everything, from A to B. Ask anyone but a pilot and they’™ll tell you pilots have it easy. All they have to do is press a few buttons and they €a™re done, from takeoff to landing, including navigation. As long as nothing breaks, the pilots can read, or sleep.“
What Automotive Must Learn From Aviation: What IS an Autopilot?

What aviation autopilots actually do

That depends on the plane, and the system.

The big planes flown by commercial carriers, like Boeing and Airbus? Not only can their autopilots control roll, pitch and yaw, but throttle as well. The latest aircraft integrate GPS navigation and myriad stability systems, greatly reducing crew workload, and enabling B to D flight.

A to B, as in gate to takeoff? Still under human control.

As long as you are quoting from the article, might as well quote the relevant stuff.

Sep 16, 2020, 22:19
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 22:19
Sep 16, 2020, 22:19

Dev wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:53:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:06:
The biggest hurdle for driver less cars will be the legal one's.

That said I'm so for the following:
1. Autonomous Racing, lets see what the AI can really do and at the same time put no one in harms way and not worry about restrictor plates. Ya know bring the fun back.

2. Remote driving again so no human is in the cars and to get back to top speeds possible vs making everything the same, since no one is getting hurt.

IMO this is where progressive racing should be at and I'd eat it up.
Once the human element is taken out, it fails to be interesting for most people, who like to have favorites. It would feel more like a video game to people.
I'd be interested, but we are probably in the minority.

Typically I agree, but racing has lost a lot in sense of pushing the limits and danger. If they can bring that back, I'd favor that over the name.

Sep 16, 2020, 18:10
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 18:10
Sep 16, 2020, 18:10

PhysicalEd wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:27:
That Tesla allows operation at all without someone in the drivers seat reveals a serious design flaw. Other manufacturers make sure someone is behind the wheel at all times. I mean, when you have to point to GM as an example of a good implementation of anything you know you have a problem!
Why did Linus get for a Chevy Volt instead of a Tesla.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Sep 16, 2020, 15:17
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 15:17
Sep 16, 2020, 15:17
 Verno

We can quibble about it all day but I don't know many people who would feel comfortable flying in a plane with no pilot, no matter the naming of the tech. Perhaps just because I've been playing Flight Simulators all my life I would never confuse the name with truly autonomous flight. Regardless we agree that Autopilot is poorly named. Unfortunately its been determined to be acceptable in most countries so Tesla is sticking with the name.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Sep 16, 2020, 15:08
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 15:08
Sep 16, 2020, 15:08

What people think aviation autopilots do
“œEverything. Literally everything, from A to B. Ask anyone but a pilot and they’™ll tell you pilots have it easy. All they have to do is press a few buttons and they €a™re done, from takeoff to landing, including navigation. As long as nothing breaks, the pilots can read, or sleep.“
What Automotive Must Learn From Aviation: What IS an Autopilot?

Sep 16, 2020, 14:25
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 14:25
Sep 16, 2020, 14:25
 Verno

PhysicalEd wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:27:
That Tesla allows operation at all without someone in the drivers seat reveals a serious design flaw. Other manufacturers make sure someone is behind the wheel at all times. I mean, when you have to point to GM as an example of a good implementation of anything you know you have a problem!

They do have a protection for this, if you look on the left at the gauge cluster at the beginning of the video you can see the warning flashing, slowly at first and then faster later on in the video. There's a reason they posted a short Tiktok video. Tesla implements both a seat occupancy sensor and a torque sensor on the wheel. It would be extremely unsafe if they instantly disabled the assisted driving mode entirely the second a wheel or torque sensor didn't report a correct response, it could result in rear end collisions and so on. What they do instead is if you don't respond to the warnings the car eventually pulls itself over to the shoulder, disables any assisted driving mode and turns on your hazards. The only other thing Tesla can do to prevent this sort of stupidity is eye monitoring which is what I think they should implement using the internal camera. I believe this is what Subaru and GM do. I suspect this is coming because they recently enabled the camera in a software update. Predictably a bunch of people are crying foul about privacy but IMO safety should trump privacy in this instance. But even if they did it overnight, someone will find a way to beat the eye monitoring tech with a device (like ingenext with their "upgrade" modules), by emulating the return function in software or even physically disabling it entirely. At some point it has to be the driver's responsibility to maintain control of the vehicle.

As a society we're nowhere near ready for autonomous vehicles. We need full vehicle to vehicle networking and awareness before we could ever attain that IMO and that requires a level of cooperation that could only be implemented by government regulation. Elon makes grandiose claims but I've used Autosteer quite a bit and I don't believe the cars currently have the hardware to make good on them. But they can probably reach a comfortable Level 4 at some point. Autopilot is not really the thing you see in this video anyway. "Autopilot" is just adaptive cruise control, slightly more capable than competitors due to the extensive use of cameras and radar. Autosteer is the extended function that actually does lane keeping and turns. You can't even enter Autosteer without specifically enabling it in the car settings, you're presented with a blunt warning about its capabilities and need to accept an agreement prior to doing so. You also get a warning each time you enable it. Full Self Driving is their actual destination to destination assisted vehicle tech that's in development.

I also agree with Redeye9 that the naming of Autopilot is confusing, though to be fair to Tesla it's a common moniker in the aviation industry and few people would ever confuse it with truly human-free flight. I don't agree that Tesla is responsible for deaths of drivers who have explicitly ignored multiple verbose warnings and so far the law bears out.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Sep 16, 2020, 13:53
Dev

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 13:53
Sep 16, 2020, 13:53
 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 13:06:

1. Autonomous Racing, lets see what the AI can really do and at the same time put no one in harms way and not worry about restrictor plates. Ya know bring the fun back.

2. Remote driving again so no human is in the cars and to get back to top speeds possible vs making everything the same, since no one is getting hurt.

Once the human element is taken out, it fails to be interesting for most people, who like to have favorites. It would feel more like a video game to people.
I'd be interested, but we are probably in the minority.

Sep 16, 2020, 13:27
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 13:27
Sep 16, 2020, 13:27

Sep 16, 2020, 13:06
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2020, 13:06
Sep 16, 2020, 13:06

Re: Morons Leave Driver Deat Empty
Sep 16, 2020, 11:39
Re: Morons Leave Driver Deat Empty Sep 16, 2020, 11:39
Sep 16, 2020, 11:39

ldonyo wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 11:30:
Tesla's ability to brick a car remotely would come in handy to deal with morons like this, who clearly need to be made to walk or ride the bus for several months. That way they might possibly learn to appreciate the fact that driving in the US is a privilege that can be taken away.
Tesla fucked up MAJORLY by mislabeling their cruise control as AutoPilot and people have paid with their lives.
What charges were filed against Uber?
Uber’s use of fewer safety sensors prompts questions after Arizona crash

Uber Not Criminally Liable After Self-Driving Car Killed Woman: Local Prosecutor

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2020, 11:49.

Re: Morons Leave Driver Deat Empty
Sep 16, 2020, 11:30
Re: Morons Leave Driver Deat Empty Sep 16, 2020, 11:30
Sep 16, 2020, 11:30

Tesla's ability to brick a car remotely would come in handy to deal with morons like this, who clearly need to be made to walk or ride the bus for several months. That way they might possibly learn to appreciate the fact that driving in the US is a privilege that can be taken away.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older