Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy

When Ubisoft recently renamed Gods & Monsters with its new title Immortals Fenyx Rising they told VGC that this "was entirely because of the vision of the game" when asked if this was any sort of copyright dispute. But now TechRaptor follows this up by reporting a notice of opposition to the game's trademark filed by Monster Energy, saying the energy drink maker claimed the title would cause them harm: "Opposer will be damaged by registration of the Applications in that Applicant’s Mark so resembles Opposer’s MONSTER Marks, including as registered in the PTO[Patent and Trademark Office], and in which Opposer owns common law trademark rights, as to be likely, when used on or in connection with Applicant’s goods and services, as to cause confusion, or to cause mistake or to deceive." If it sounds to a non-lawyer like this dispute doesn't have any merit, apparently it sounds that way to a lawyer as well as this video from Hoeg Law says that Ubisoft would likely have prevailed if they fought it out in court, but this was not certain, but that it probably wasn't practical due to the time, money, and publicity this would have cost them. He also notes the game's new title would be easier for them to protect in their own right.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy
Sep 17, 2020, 01:46
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 17, 2020, 01:46
Sep 17, 2020, 01:46

Ubisoft lying about the name change is probably the most useless, meaningless, unnecessary lie possible. It's not surprising from them, but so amazing that deceit is so systemic for them that they simply lie for no other reason than to do so.

Sep 16, 2020, 11:12
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 16, 2020, 11:12
Sep 16, 2020, 11:12

Well at least they picked another catchy name
"Ok, you go upstairs.When he starts attacking me, I'll pull him around the pillars while you shoot down at him. I'll take out any fartbags that spawn" -me

Sep 16, 2020, 06:26
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 16, 2020, 06:26
Sep 16, 2020, 06:26

Nobody wants to be associated with an Ubisoft product.

Sep 15, 2020, 18:16
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 18:16
Sep 15, 2020, 18:16

Best soap I've ever used was Pinetar from Squatch.

Sep 15, 2020, 16:49
Cutter

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 16:49
Sep 15, 2020, 16:49
 Cutter

Hellcinder wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 16:27:
Yeah, Immortal Fenyx Rising really flows off the tongue like pine tar and razor blades.

I bought some organic pine tar from Sweden a few months ago. While I don't know how it tastes it smells effing amazing!
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Sep 15, 2020, 16:27
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 16:27
Sep 15, 2020, 16:27

Yeah, Immortal Fenyx Rising really flows off the tongue like pine tar and razor blades.

Sep 15, 2020, 16:05
Kxmode

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 16:05
Sep 15, 2020, 16:05
 Kxmode

MeanJim wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:33:
Why did Monster Energy go after this one and not Monster Hunter Word, Monster Loves You!, I'm not a Monster, Always Sometimes Monsters, Sometimes Always Monsters, Monster Train, Monster Prom, Monster Crown, Monster Sanctuary, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Monster Harvest, Monster X Monster, Monster Slayers, Monster League....................

Because they're not making money from sponsorship events due to COVID-19 and those games are already released so it's more difficult to bring them to court.

In the shadows, I think Ubisoft angered Monster Energy by cancelling some lucrative deal so Monster Energy is retaliating (all rumor, of course).
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 15, 2020, 13:33
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:33
Sep 15, 2020, 13:33

Why did Monster Energy go after this one and not Monster Hunter Word, Monster Loves You!, I'm not a Monster, Always Sometimes Monsters, Sometimes Always Monsters, Monster Train, Monster Prom, Monster Crown, Monster Sanctuary, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Monster Harvest, Monster X Monster, Monster Slayers, Monster League....................
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Sep 15, 2020, 13:26
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:26
Sep 15, 2020, 13:26

This is utterly stupid....
They could have agreed to make all the player powerups glowing green little bottles of energy drink tho.. .. Drunk2 Drinkers

Sep 15, 2020, 13:21
Cutter

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:21
Sep 15, 2020, 13:21
 Cutter

Ubisoft would have prevailed. Clearly they simply didn't want to bother. You can't trademark a common word or phrase. They don't have a claim to the word "monster", their trademark is for "monster energy". Like Microsoft has "Microsoft Windows" and not just "windows". The litmus test for confusion is known as the 'moron in a hurry'.

A moron in a hurry is a legal test for trademark infringement or passing off in which a hypothetical person against whom a claimant's concern might be judged in a civil law action. The expression is used to reject a claim that two items could reasonably be confused by a passer-by: that "only a moron in a hurry" would be confused. If the items offered for sale are distinct, the goodwill and brand of one trader cannot be affected by another's
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Sep 15, 2020, 13:20
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:20
Sep 15, 2020, 13:20

Bethesda should sue Monster. Those three green teeth(?) look veeeery similar to the Quake 3 logo. In fact, the next time I need a jolt of caffine I may very well be tempted to fire up the game for a deathmatch or two. Oh dear! Jolt? Can I use that word without getting sued?

Sep 15, 2020, 13:18
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:18
Sep 15, 2020, 13:18

I was kind of amazed to look into this and find out that Monster Energy has nothing to do with Monster Cable. Apparently Monster Energy has taken up the mantle of suing everyone who uses the word monster.

Sep 15, 2020, 13:12
Kxmode

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:12
Sep 15, 2020, 13:12
 Kxmode

roguebanshee wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:01:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 12:48:
Completely different industries. There's no confusion between a name like Monster Energy and a video game called Gods and Monsters. Trademarks are almost always associated with certain goods and services. So unless Monster Energy decides to register Monster Energy under entertainment, and variations of it, I don't see how they have a case.
They might be able to successfully argue their brand name has penetration into the gaming market due to sponsorships and branding deals. It's quite possible that Ubisoft could find several holes in whatever angle Monster Energy would have gone for, but it's also likely that it would have cost them far more than they expected to gain to defend their trademark application.

This would be akin to the Sacramento Kings suing Ridley Scott for his film named "Exodus: Gods and Kings." Nobody is going to mistake Monster Energy with a video game called Gods and Monsters.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 15, 2020, 13:01
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:01

Kxmode wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 12:48:
Completely different industries. There's no confusion between a name like Monster Energy and a video game called Gods and Monsters. Trademarks are almost always associated with certain goods and services. So unless Monster Energy decides to register Monster Energy under entertainment, and variations of it, I don't see how they have a case.
They might be able to successfully argue their brand name has penetration into the gaming market due to sponsorships and branding deals. It's quite possible that Ubisoft could find several holes in whatever angle Monster Energy would have gone for, but it's also likely that it would have cost them far more than they expected to gain to defend their trademark application.

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 13:01

GinRummy wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 12:21:
No longer legal: AD&D Monster manual, Monster trucks, the movies Monsters Inc., Monster Squad, and Little Monsters (either version), the word monstrosity, the song Monster Mash, and Frankenstein's monster. More lawsuits to come as lawyers do deeper google searches.
The following are so inexplicitly tied to energy drinks that they should recall all released VHS tapes & DVD’s and make ownership a felony.
Monster (2003) with Bruce Dern, Christina Ricci and Charlize Theron
Monster's Ball (2001) starring Billy Bob Thornton and Halle Berry

A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Sep 15, 2020, 12:54
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 12:54
Sep 15, 2020, 12:54

Someone flushed a perfectly good cross-marketing opportunity right down the shitter with that opposition move.

Sep 15, 2020, 12:48
Kxmode

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 12:48
Sep 15, 2020, 12:48
 Kxmode

Here are examples of businesses with the same name, but operate in different industries:

- Ford Mustang and Mustang Seeds
- Delta Airlines, Delta Faucets, Delta Dental, etc.
- Apple Computers and Apple Record (there's a backstory here that Apple Records agreed to drop their litigation so long as Apple Computers never got in the music business)
- Morningstar (investment research) and Morningstar Farms (vegetarian foods)
- United Airlines and United Van Lines

Sep 15, 2020, 12:21
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 12:21
Sep 15, 2020, 12:21

No longer legal: AD&D Monster manual, Monster trucks, the movies Monsters Inc., Monster Squad, and Little Monsters (either version), the word monstrosity, the song Monster Mash, and Frankenstein's monster. More lawsuits to come as lawyers do deeper google searches.

Sep 15, 2020, 12:00
Fion

Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 12:00
Sep 15, 2020, 12:00
 Fion

Yet another example of just how broken the US copyright & trademark systems are.

Sep 15, 2020, 11:35
Re: Gods & Monsters Title Changed Due to Dispute by Monster Energy Sep 15, 2020, 11:35
Sep 15, 2020, 11:35

Utter bullshit
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older