RTX Fortnite Thursday

NVIDIA announces that the patch with RTX support to Fortnite will come on Thursday, adding ray tracing to Epic's battle royale/survival game. This post has all the details along with the previously released Fortnite GeForce RTX Reveal Trailer with a look at what to expect. They also remind us that there's a GeForce Fortnite Bundle with a few premium items for the game with the purchase of certain GeForce graphics cards, though somewhat ironically, none of these is capable of running RTX without choking. They say means "Fortnite will become a flagship title for ray tracing." Here's word:
On September 17 the game will add support for ray traced reflections, shadows, global illumination, and ambient occlusion significantly raising the image quality in the game. At the same time, NVIDIA DLSS is coming to Fortnite to boost frame rates and generate beautiful, sharp images in the game. Additionally, NVIDIA Reflex technology for reduced latency will also be supported.

NVIDIA and Epic Games are working together to bring DXR ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS, and NVIDIA Reflex support to the blockbuster smash Fortnite for ‘Save the World’, 'Creative’ and ‘Battle Royale’ modes.

NVIDIA has also worked with Fortnite content creators to develop a special new Creative Mode map known as RTX Treasure Run that has been specifically designed to highlight ray tracing. The map drops players at the entrance to a museum where they are challenged to a scavenger hunt, highlighting different ray traced effects. Along the way players can explore a hall of mirrors, a medieval castle, a jungle, climb a giant statue and explore a shrunken science lab to uncover the most treasures in the least amount of time. RTX Treasure Run will be available with the launch of Fortnite with RTX.

Fortnite Battle Royale is a cultural phenomenon with more than 350 million players. By adding ray traced effects to the game, Fortnite will become a flagship title for ray tracing. Ray tracing and DLSS coming to yet another blockbuster demonstrates the momentum each technology has and the confidence that developers have in them.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday
Sep 16, 2020, 09:09
El Pit

Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 16, 2020, 09:09
Sep 16, 2020, 09:09
 El Pit

Epic knows what Fortnite gamers want: a virtual AMD graphics card island! Fortniters are not interested in better graphics coming with the RTX!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 16, 2020, 02:42
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 16, 2020, 02:42
Sep 16, 2020, 02:42

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 18:21:
I still think ray tracing is more a gimmick than anything else. Ok, if you have a GPU that can run it, but the visual difference is minor at best. Certainly, the only 20xx card that can run it well is the 2080ti. As to the 30xx cards, we will have to wait and see. I certainly would not use ray tracing as a determining factor when buying a new GPU.

I did get a real laugh over the addition of ray tracing to Minecraft though.

No one has yet built a gameplay loop that takes advantage of raytracing, let alone a game that does it. I for one would think that a game like Thief: The Dark Project, "re-imagined" for RTX would be an absolute blast.

Basically any game where light and shadows play a critical gameplay role (stealth anyone?) would most definitely be pretty great with raytracing.

Sep 15, 2020, 19:40
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 19:40
Sep 15, 2020, 19:40

bigspender wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 18:07:
in all games not just fortnite which I dont play
*insert Suspicious meme*

Sep 15, 2020, 18:21
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 18:21
Sep 15, 2020, 18:21

I still think ray tracing is more a gimmick than anything else. Ok, if you have a GPU that can run it, but the visual difference is minor at best. Certainly, the only 20xx card that can run it well is the 2080ti. As to the 30xx cards, we will have to wait and see. I certainly would not use ray tracing as a determining factor when buying a new GPU.

I did get a real laugh over the addition of ray tracing to Minecraft though.

Sep 15, 2020, 18:07
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 18:07
Sep 15, 2020, 18:07

What I really want is 4k at 144hz. Hell I'd be happy for a steady 60fps min at 4k (in all games not just fortnite which I dont play). Could not care less about realistic reflections or some subtle shadow differences if it's going halve my frame rate.

Sep 15, 2020, 16:55
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 16:55
Sep 15, 2020, 16:55

aka_STEVE wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:21:
Yes, when I think FORTNITE - I absolutely think of it's stunning scenes that need to be rendered in all the Ray-tracing glory it deserves ..!!!!

Truly funny...;)
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 15, 2020, 16:54
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 16:54
Sep 15, 2020, 16:54

Do any of you guys actually play Fortnite? It looks like something for eight-year-olds, maybe--like a Saturday morning cartoon, etc. When I saw some screens shots of the game supposedly RT'ed I literally couldn't tell the difference between them and the regular screenshots.

Blockbuster? Please...;) The Sims is a fantastic seller--but I won't go near it...;) "Cultural phenomenon"...I wonder what culture they have in mind?

Probably going to swing for an RX-6000, RDNA2-product, maybe. But for sure Fortnite will not be on my shopping list...ever...;)
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 15, 2020, 13:39
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 13:39
Sep 15, 2020, 13:39

aka_STEVE wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:21:
Yes, when I think FORTNITE - I absolutely think of it's stunning scenes that need to be rendered in all the Ray-tracing glory it deserves ..!!!!

Wait, you didn't go batshi* crazy over the RTX enabled Quake and Minecraft?! And people said good taste is dying.

Sep 15, 2020, 13:21
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 13:21
Sep 15, 2020, 13:21

Sep 15, 2020, 13:05
Re: RTX Fortnite Thursday Sep 15, 2020, 13:05
Sep 15, 2020, 13:05

When you have to be VERY CLEAR with what benefits Ray Tracing gives you in your game, it’s clearly nothing anyone should be concerned with.

While I plan on getting a 3080, it’s for the absurd increase in rasterizing performance, not RTX. I think developers figured out “good enough” tricks a generation ago, so it’s difficult to see much benefit in true raytracing. I have no doubt that it’ll lead to more realistic scenes in games that strive for realism, but it truly won’t matter for 90% of games out there.
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older