Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak

Details on the Oculus Quest 2 have apparently leaked online in advance of an official announcement later this week. The Verge has a roundup of the news, a bit of turnabout as this could be considered an invasion of Facebook's privacy (thanks RedEye9). There's a video called Meet Oculus Quest 2 where not Martha Quinn introduces the new standalone VR headset and another clip called Inside the Upgrade where not Rami Malek compares it with the original Quest. Here's a bit of the summary on the clips:
According to the videos, the new headset is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon XR2 platform, which is specifically designed for AR and VR hardware (unlike the general purpose Snapdragon 835 that powered the original Quest). One video boasts that the Quest 2 has an “almost 4K display,” which it says translates to “nearly 2K per eye,” which a second video says is 50 percent more pixels than the original Quest. The headset also has 6GB of RAM (up from 4GB) and up to 256GB of storage (up from a maximum of 128GB), as well as 3D positional audio, and the return of controller-free hand tracking.

Although the videos provide plenty of new details about the Oculus Quest 2, there are a couple of lingering questions. It’s not clear, for a start, what the display’s refresh rate will be, which previous reports indicated could increase from 72Hz to 90Hz or even 120Hz to display smoother motion. There’s also no mention of the headset’s size or weight. Previous reports suggested that the Quest 2 would be less bulky than the original Quest, but the videos simply refer to the new hardware as “streamlined” and “light.”
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak
Sep 16, 2020, 08:18
Verno

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 16, 2020, 08:18
Sep 16, 2020, 08:18
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 05:26:
saltedicecream wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 23:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:48:
Is there anyone else with a product like this to compete against? I can continue to use my Jim Bodong Facebook account,

I only recommend this if you don't actually purchase any software on the Facebook store. FB has been deactivating accounts that do not appear to be linked to real identifies for many years and every year they further refine the detection of such accounts. What they do is deactivate the account and then require that you upload a picture of your driver's license. If it's not valid and/or it doesn't match the account information, then your account is permanently deactivated. You will then lose access to your purchases (FB recently stated explicitly that this will happen if your account is disabled). It's not just something that happens to people with blatantly suspicious accounts--e.g. I recently helped several boomers with completely valid accounts re-enable their deactivated accounts

If that's the case, then why are there so many Russians on FB planting disinformation and sowing discord?

Fake accounts like that can be created using automated tools developed by state actors. They don't care if their accounts are caught, they make new ones. Why are there so many? It's effective at sowing dissent and disrupting our political processes. There is no penalty or disincentive for them. Whereas you or I making a fake account to play VR games would lose access to those purchases.

Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Sep 16, 2020, 07:40
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 16, 2020, 07:40
Sep 16, 2020, 07:40

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2020, 05:26:
Is there anyone else with a product like this to compete against? I can continue to use my Jim Bodong Facebook account,

I only recommend this if you don't actually purchase any software on the Facebook store. FB has been deactivating accounts that do not appear to be linked to real identifies for many years and every year they further refine the detection of such accounts. What they do is deactivate the account and then require that you upload a picture of your driver's license. If it's not valid and/or it doesn't match the account information, then your account is permanently deactivated. You will then lose access to your purchases (FB recently stated explicitly that this will happen if your account is disabled). It's not just something that happens to people with blatantly suspicious accounts--e.g. I recently helped several boomers with completely valid accounts re-enable their deactivated accounts

If that's the case, then why are there so many Russians on FB planting disinformation and sowing discord?

One does not preclude the other. It's easy to keep creating fake accounts impersonating Americans when there is little cost to doing so for. At some point the accounts are identified and deactivated as stated in the article. But that is not a solution for those that seek to maintain an account with value attached to it (e.g. game purchases)

Sep 16, 2020, 05:26
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 16, 2020, 05:26
Sep 16, 2020, 05:26

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 15, 2020, 23:39
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 23:39
Sep 15, 2020, 23:39

Sep 15, 2020, 22:02
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 22:02
Sep 15, 2020, 22:02

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:04:
that they engage in similar behavior is not at question. It's just that Steam doesn't do anything with the data it collects, since that's not its business model.

Steam doesn't collect nearly as much data as FB, and since they don't, nor use the data they collect in the same way, they certainly don't engage in similar behavior either.

Sep 15, 2020, 18:20
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 18:20
Sep 15, 2020, 18:20

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:04:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:32:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 02:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 17:45:
Steam tracks the length of time you spend playing a game, the hardware you have, the achievements you get, all the attempts you take at getting the achievements, all the routes you take through every map, and much much more. Steam also plays games with you to force more interaction with the store during “sales”.
The steam index headset tracks even more.
I don’t see how it’s much different than Facebook, if you don’t use Facebook you can just create an account and never log into it for anything else except vr gaming.

But but but Steam is gud! Gaben told me so!

Surprised and disappointed.
It's a well known effect, to minimize the wrongs or harmful intentions of a person or entity, by comparing them to another.
"They are all the same".
But Facebook and Steam, are you serious?
Wow.

I think you meant to reply to Redeye rather than my sarcastic post. That said, while I agree with you and Verno that Steam is not as bad as FB, that they engage in similar behavior is not at question. It's just that Steam doesn't do anything with the data it collects, since that's not its business model.

Your comment seemed an aid and abet

As far as I know, Steam privileged and powerful status was not used to abuse other businesses.
Instead Epic's launcher read Steam files in your PC.
And Zuck facilitated the eventual sale of his countrymen private data to manipulators (Cambridge Analytica and who else)

Sep 15, 2020, 17:48
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 17:48
Sep 15, 2020, 17:48

Sep 15, 2020, 17:04
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 17:04
Sep 15, 2020, 17:04

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 13:32:
Steam tracks the length of time you spend playing a game, the hardware you have, the achievements you get, all the attempts you take at getting the achievements, all the routes you take through every map, and much much more. Steam also plays games with you to force more interaction with the store during “sales”.
I don’t see how it’s much different than Facebook, if you don’t use Facebook you can just create an account and never log into it for anything else except vr gaming.

It's a well known effect, to minimize the wrongs or harmful intentions of a person or entity, by comparing them to another.
"They are all the same".
Wow.

I think you meant to reply to Redeye rather than my sarcastic post. That said, while I agree with you and Verno that Steam is not as bad as FB, that they engage in similar behavior is not at question. It's just that Steam doesn't do anything with the data it collects, since that's not its business model.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 15, 2020, 13:32
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 13:32
Sep 15, 2020, 13:32

"They are all the same".
Wow.

Sep 15, 2020, 10:36
Verno

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 10:36
Sep 15, 2020, 10:36
 Verno

Alpaca San wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 15:38:
I don't understand the hate for required Facebook signon. Back in the day of silly Facebook games giving time/upgrades/rewards for referring friends... I had 10+ fake facebook accounts... and I would swap 10 friend requests with dozens of others doing the same thing. Then play the games on one of the fake facebook accounts signed into Explorer, and you don't even have any cookies associated with it in your real browser.

Why not just make a facebook account with a picture of a random stranger for a profile pic, and a random real sounding name... link it to your Oculus and pretend it is just any other sign in? Even if you really use Facebook (which I'm guessing people having a problem with this don't) you could use an alternate Facebook for this.

Facebook actively hunts fake accounts these days, under the guise of trying to get rid of bots. You need a verified phone number and a raft of other personal info. They've even requested government photo ID from people at times. If they don't like what you give them then your lose your account and your Oculus purchases with it. That's without getting into providing indirect support for the frankly detestable company itself.

Steam collects basically nothing of significant value from you and anonymizes the little data it does collect. Steam even asks your permission for an optional hardware survey. Facebook is the most pervasive threat to online privacy in existence. They aren't even in the same universe and the comparison is laughable.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Sep 15, 2020, 10:31
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 10:31
Sep 15, 2020, 10:31

Neither have strictly good or bad intentions. But you can look at their business models and motivations and determine which is more aligned with your personal values. I think for most PC gamers it's quite obvious that Valve is more aligned with their values than Facebook.

Sep 15, 2020, 02:35
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 02:35
Sep 15, 2020, 02:35

Sep 15, 2020, 02:24
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 15, 2020, 02:24
Sep 15, 2020, 02:24

Achievements are not personal information. Steam sale "Games" are not forced at all. Steam also doesn't track you through games, that's developer specific.

The Index doesn't track even more, that's just baloney. Have you even read FB's plans for it's online VR MMO game? The headset will keep a running copy of several minutes of everything you've said and done in VR that they can access at anytime. Just wait until they have eye tracking and then they'll track what you look at and for how long as well.

The only reason you think Steam is the same as FB is that you're not paying attention.

Sep 14, 2020, 20:57
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 20:57
Sep 14, 2020, 20:57

No way I'm buying it given the Facebook requirement. Wouldn't take it if they gave it away for free. Of course the long term plan is for these to be data collection devices.

My next VR upgrade is the HP Reverb G2, which is yet another compelling HMD that exists thanks to Valve. ~35% more pixels than this, same audio solution as the Index, continuous IPD adjustment, very similar headstrap/balance and facial interface to the Index, 1.1lbs (vs Index's 1.8lbs)

Sep 14, 2020, 19:27
Dev

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 19:27
Sep 14, 2020, 19:27
 Dev

I don't understand the hate for required Facebook signon. Back in the day of silly Facebook games giving time/upgrades/rewards for referring friends... I had 10+ fake facebook accounts... and I would swap 10 friend requests with dozens of others doing the same thing. Then play the games on one of the fake facebook accounts signed into Explorer, and you don't even have any cookies associated with it in your real browser.

Why not just make a facebook account with a picture of a random stranger for a profile pic, and a random real sounding name... link it to your Oculus and pretend it is just any other sign in? Even if you really use Facebook (which I'm guessing people having a problem with this don't) you could use an alternate Facebook for this.
Facebook doesn't like this, and will actively try to force a telephone verification, especially if they think it's fake. I had a bunch back in the day too for that same reason lol, but last time I tried to log into them, most wouldn't let me go past the tell us your phone number now for security prompts.

Also, I'd be tying a credit card to my theoretical oculus fake facebook if I wanted apps, and they might be able to link it to my real one (I probably donated money with my credit card to a non profit when a friend had a birthday and said give to a cause etc)

Sep 14, 2020, 19:25
Dev

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 19:25
Sep 14, 2020, 19:25
 Dev

I wonder if quest 2 gets grandfathered in with existing oculus accounts so I can keep using my 3 years.

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 14:08:
Looks fantastic and the specs are great but I'm not going to start using Facebook just for this device. Selling all of my Rift gear now and getting an Index instead.
I mean you have about 3 years until it's forced on for existing users.

Sep 14, 2020, 17:45
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 17:45
Sep 14, 2020, 17:45

A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Sep 14, 2020, 17:35
Cutter

Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 17:35
Sep 14, 2020, 17:35
 Cutter

Because corporations shouldn't have that sort of invasive power? It's like saying you have to check in with your car manufacturer every time you want to drive the vehicle you paid for. It's none of their fucking business. I have your product, you have my money, that's it, end of interaction.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Sep 14, 2020, 15:38
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 15:38
Sep 14, 2020, 15:38

Sep 14, 2020, 14:59
Re: Oculus Quest 2 Details Leak Sep 14, 2020, 14:59
Sep 14, 2020, 14:59

Shouldn't this be renamed Facebook facemask , or something equally horrific by now ...?
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older