Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker

Charlie INTEL reports that Activision Blizzard has caused another vendor of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone cheats to stop distributing or supporting these products. They have a Discord post from GatorCheats explaining that multiple cease and desist letters and the threat of lawsuits is behind this. Unfortunately this seems to be a publisher specific reform, this also includes the plan to "offer swaps from this product to other options" in the future. Here's the post:
In May 2020, Activision Blizzard's attorneys contacted me via a cease and assist letter. Considering this event, I decided to act on my already pending decision to close all sales to new customers for my product relating to Modern Warfare and Warzone.

In September 2020, Activision Blizzard's attorneys had another cease and assist letter hand delivered to me by who I assume was a PI, considering he knew my family members by name and made a point to showcase that he did.

Also in September 2020, I received very clear communication in a follow up from Activision Blizzard's attorneys communicating that they would litigate (file a lawsuit) against me if I didn't comply with continuation of stopped sales as well as a complete stoppage of interaction with and updating of any products related to their client's products.

It has been made clear that stopping sales to new customers is not enough, and as much as I love my customers, I love my family more. I cannot afford to litigate with this company, and I have a responsibility to my family as the only individual with income to not dive into avoidable lawsuits that I cannot afford to participate in.

I have already stopped selling products including upgrades related to Activision Blizzard's product.

I will hereby never create, test, or update products related to products owned by Activision Blizzard.

I urge all my customers to not seek out products related to product owned by Activision Blizzard from alternative sources, especially since Activision Blizzard is contacting or likely will contact said sources.

I hope that, since nearly all of you got 5 or more months of usage, that you feel you got your moneys worth. Either way, I will be looking to offer swaps from this product to other options in the extremely near future.

I'm glad that this lasted 11 months, but the lifetime of this product has come to an end.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker
Sep 16, 2020, 06:05
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 16, 2020, 06:05
Sep 16, 2020, 06:05

Scheherazade wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:25:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:01:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 05:49:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 02:52:
William Rubin wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 23:45:
Scheherazade wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 21:35:
I don't get how company a can tell company b to stop selling software that company a does not own and does not have rights to.
Because a corporatist elite sees no value in a government that does things like feeding or educating the poor, or ensuring that they have medical insurance.
A corporatist government has just one function: to maximize corporate profit - with the threat of force whenever necessary.

So you think it's fine that cheat software makers thrive and devalue a 100 million dollar product? I'm not pro-corporatist in the least, but kind of artificially devalues a company's hard work and unnecessarily destabilizes the multiplayer market. It's akin to sewing the roads with nails, thus causing drivers to get flat tires. "You're infringing on my right to scatter nails wherever I feel!" Yeah, not so much.

Actually your analogy is not really that great because sewing the road with nails is a criminal offense, one that can lead to death and injury, cheat software doesn't cause death, doesn't cause injury and in most cases actually increases the sales of said game (if it is really popular) as waves of cheaters get banned and need to re-buy the software.

The only ones who really get screwed in these cases are the non-cheating end-users, and even the cheaters themselves. Non-cheaters are getting screwed since they have to "compete" in a cheating environment, and cheaters are getting screwed since they need to keep re-buying the original software and even the new iteration of their cheat software if they want to keep cheating.

So while I don't condone cheating, indeed I am extremely adverse to it, I don't feel bad for the companies who make the games I feel bad for the end users. These companies usually do fuck-all to protect their software from cheaters in the first place and deserve the righteous indignation of people who are affected by this.

Certainly it's the end users that suffer the most, I'll agree. But the companies are also affected. I have no love of EA or Activision, but I respect their right to compete in a free market, and cheaters devalue their product resulting in reduced sales. Scattering nails in the road won't cause accidents, modern tires have no problem staying intact and inflated with nails in them. But you have to take your car to the shop to have them removed and your tire patched, which is costly. Also, just like scattering nails, making and using cheat software is also illegal under the DCMA. I'll admit the analogy isn't perfect, but the motivation is the same: people argue for their right to engage in sociopathic and illegal behavior.

In general, no company has to protect any other company's bottom line. I can open a restaurant across the street from another, undercut them, and put them out of business.

For some reason, there is exceptionalism when it comes to cheat makers.

DMCA does not prevent cheats. It prevents certain things that ostensibly violate copyright, such as breaking encryption.
DMCA doesn't prevent you from using another entity to represent you - be it your lawyer buying you a car in your name, or a cheat app pwning noobs for you in your name.

-scheherazade

First, when you "purchase" a license to use software (required in order to reverse engineer it to create a cheat) you are agreeing to a EULA. That EULA specifically states that you are disallowed to reverse engineer the software, including doing so to create or use cheat software. Doing so breaks a contract, which opens you up to civil tort action. You can be sued.

Second, by creating or using cheat software, you are modifying the original work without permission, a copyright violation. This is where the DCMA comes in. This is a criminal offense.

Last, reverse engineering and violating the terms of service for a game can also be a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA). Unauthorized use of a computer over a network (e.g. sending targeting information using an aimbot or wallhack) is a violation of the CFAA and carries rather stiff penalties.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 15, 2020, 17:25
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 15, 2020, 17:25
Sep 15, 2020, 17:25

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2020, 17:01:
I don't get how company a can tell company b to stop selling software that company a does not own and does not have rights to.
Because a corporatist elite sees no value in a government that does things like feeding or educating the poor, or ensuring that they have medical insurance.
A corporatist government has just one function: to maximize corporate profit - with the threat of force whenever necessary.

So you think it's fine that cheat software makers thrive and devalue a 100 million dollar product? I'm not pro-corporatist in the least, but kind of artificially devalues a company's hard work and unnecessarily destabilizes the multiplayer market. It's akin to sewing the roads with nails, thus causing drivers to get flat tires. "You're infringing on my right to scatter nails wherever I feel!" Yeah, not so much.

Actually your analogy is not really that great because sewing the road with nails is a criminal offense, one that can lead to death and injury, cheat software doesn't cause death, doesn't cause injury and in most cases actually increases the sales of said game (if it is really popular) as waves of cheaters get banned and need to re-buy the software.

The only ones who really get screwed in these cases are the non-cheating end-users, and even the cheaters themselves. Non-cheaters are getting screwed since they have to "compete" in a cheating environment, and cheaters are getting screwed since they need to keep re-buying the original software and even the new iteration of their cheat software if they want to keep cheating.

So while I don't condone cheating, indeed I am extremely adverse to it, I don't feel bad for the companies who make the games I feel bad for the end users. These companies usually do fuck-all to protect their software from cheaters in the first place and deserve the righteous indignation of people who are affected by this.

Certainly it's the end users that suffer the most, I'll agree. But the companies are also affected. I have no love of EA or Activision, but I respect their right to compete in a free market, and cheaters devalue their product resulting in reduced sales. Scattering nails in the road won't cause accidents, modern tires have no problem staying intact and inflated with nails in them. But you have to take your car to the shop to have them removed and your tire patched, which is costly. Also, just like scattering nails, making and using cheat software is also illegal under the DCMA. I'll admit the analogy isn't perfect, but the motivation is the same: people argue for their right to engage in sociopathic and illegal behavior.

In general, no company has to protect any other company's bottom line. I can open a restaurant across the street from another, undercut them, and put them out of business.

For some reason, there is exceptionalism when it comes to cheat makers.

DMCA does not prevent cheats. It prevents certain things that ostensibly violate copyright, such as breaking encryption.
DMCA doesn't prevent you from using another entity to represent you - be it your lawyer buying you a car in your name, or a cheat app pwning noobs for you in your name.

-scheherazade

Sep 15, 2020, 17:01
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 15, 2020, 17:01
Sep 15, 2020, 17:01

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 15, 2020, 05:49
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 15, 2020, 05:49
Sep 15, 2020, 05:49

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2020, 06:39.

Sep 15, 2020, 02:52
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 15, 2020, 02:52
Sep 15, 2020, 02:52

Sep 15, 2020, 02:48
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 15, 2020, 02:48
Sep 15, 2020, 02:48

-scheherazade

They can when company b's software is designed to interact with and undermine company a's software. This is covered under specific provisions of the DCMA. One such case can be read here. It's not that they actually have the "power" to force company b to stop selling, but they tell company b "If you stop, then we won't sue you for millions of dollars." That's usually enough to put an end to the offending behavior.

Agree or disagree with the DCMA, but it's the law of the land. Personally, I think there are many flawed provisions within it that need to be rectified, but this particular use of the law is not one of them.

Sep 14, 2020, 23:45
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 23:45
Sep 14, 2020, 23:45

Sep 14, 2020, 21:35
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 21:35
Sep 14, 2020, 21:35

-scheherazade

Sep 14, 2020, 15:08
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 15:08
Sep 14, 2020, 15:08

jamiedj99 wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 13:12:
https://shop.cronusmax.com/zen.html this is the guy they need to sue

If this thing does all the things it says it does like "Aim assist" then fuck this guy.. i love the items that allow me to use mouse and keyboard on my PS4 and I think that is fine but actually helping you do things is ridiculous

Sep 14, 2020, 15:02
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 15:02
Sep 14, 2020, 15:02

This should have been started 10+ years ago .,... but if anyone now has the pockets to actually complete it, it is COD . I wish them luck.

Sep 14, 2020, 14:00
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 14:00
Sep 14, 2020, 14:00

ldonyo wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 13:45:
I just don't get the mindset of someone whose ego is so fragile that they have to buy cheats for a game so that they don't look like they suck as much as they actually do.

I've seen people who would become cheaters, and watched it happen.

They arent having fun, they arent winning, so nobody else can.
these folks are losers in real life, and in a digital world too, so they cheat the one system they can.

Sep 14, 2020, 13:58
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 13:58
Sep 14, 2020, 13:58

jamiedj99 wrote on Sep 14, 2020, 13:12:

the hell does that thing do? allows inline, undetectable macros? Like semi auto guns being turned into full auto? stuff like that?

Sep 14, 2020, 13:45
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 13:45
Sep 14, 2020, 13:45

I just don't get the mindset of someone whose ego is so fragile that they have to buy cheats for a game so that they don't look like they suck as much as they actually do.

Sep 14, 2020, 13:12
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 13:12
Sep 14, 2020, 13:12

Sep 14, 2020, 13:10
Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 13:10
Sep 14, 2020, 13:10

About bloody time. EA should go after this fucker and sue him into oblivion. I'd love to see him lose everything.

Sep 14, 2020, 12:44
Cram

Re: Activision Goes After Another Cheat Maker Sep 14, 2020, 12:44
Sep 14, 2020, 12:44
 Cram

The extent of my knowledge of this situation is, let me know if I am missing something:

1) Guy develops and sells cheating software (against all terms of service agreements) violating all kinds of IP laws.
2) People buy a shit ton of said software, use it (against all terms of service agreements) - cheating is said to be prevalent in the game.
3) Big old evil ActiBlizz do the right things for once, it appears, to protect their IP and all that stuff shutting this guy down
4) The guys customers are, apparently, in a massive fit, freaking out, demanding refunds and losing their shit at the guy and even ActiBlizz

Boo...fucking...hoo, idiots.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older