5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Gatherings & Competitions
Sep 1, 2020, 04:48
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 1, 2020, 04:48
Sep 1, 2020, 04:48

"Exploiting a bug is not cheating"
I dont remember how many times I heard that in multiplayer games, especially from the bunnyhop crowd. But I would be rich if I always got a penny for it.
Coaches of esport teams being that stupid.. Now thats something new.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Sep 1, 2020, 08:47
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 1, 2020, 08:47
Sep 1, 2020, 08:47

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 1, 2020, 04:48:
I dont remember how many times I heard that in multiplayer games, especially from the bunnyhop crowd. But I would be rich if I always got a penny for it.

I hear you, and yet real sports have this issue as well, if we consider real-life 'bugs' as holes in the rules book or vague regulations. Off the top of my head, 'hack a Shaq' was a strategy deployed by a lot of teams to slow down a prolific shooter. NBA had to change the rules around fouls to try and prevent that stratdgy from being effective. In F1, its really an engineering race to discover new car performance by exploiting the regulations in car design, for example, blowing the cars exhaust over aerodynamic elements to increase traction, even when off throttle. Eventually all the teams do it until the regulatuons are changed. Both examples are unintended consequences to how the game/competition is supposed to be played.

Sep 1, 2020, 10:21
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 1, 2020, 10:21
Sep 1, 2020, 10:21

theglaze wrote on Sep 1, 2020, 08:47:

I hear you, and yet real sports have this issue as well, if we consider real-life 'bugs' as holes in the rules book or vague regulations. Off the top of my head, 'hack a Shaq' was a strategy deployed by a lot of teams to slow down a prolific shooter. NBA had to change the rules around fouls to try and prevent that stratdgy from being effective. In F1, its really an engineering race to discover new car performance by exploiting the regulations in car design, for example, blowing the cars exhaust over aerodynamic elements to increase traction, even when off throttle. Eventually all the teams do it until the regulatuons are changed. Both examples are unintended consequences to how the game/competition is supposed to be played.

Thats still a lot different to "your enemy is right around that corner behind a box! Go now, hes not looking in your direction!".
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:28
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 1, 2020, 11:28
Sep 1, 2020, 11:28

If prostitution is considered the worlds oldest profession - can we agree that cheating is #2

Sep 2, 2020, 12:35
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 2, 2020, 12:35
Sep 2, 2020, 12:35

Bunny hopping has been a deliberate feature in FPS games since quake 1 (1996). There is dedicated movement code for it. It was added to make movement another skill to develop.

The sheer popularity and endurance of CounterStrike basically erased the normalcy of bunnyhopping from the collective FPS gaming psyche. CounterStrike (which patched bunnyhopping out around beta 3 ish IIRC) was all many people played for years, and so many games tried to copy it, that it just became the new normal.

That said, I tend to side with the 'if the engine allows it, then it's fair' crowd. The engine defines the rules. What it allows, is allowed. If you don't want players doing it, patch it out.

Since doom, for a decade+, it was considered a skill to find and master anything that the engine allows for an advantage. From silent BFG firing and wall run speed boosting, to making pixel-precise jumps to ledges (that 99.99% of players can't make) where you can fire from an advantage.

Overwatch was infuriating to play widowmaker on. There are countless off-limit areas where you can't grapple to. I've died countless times planning an attack and escape, only to find out that my escape path has an invisible wall. Absolutely COUNTLESS. Then the opposite happens - someone else escapes from me using a route that I just assumed would be blocked because 100 other similar routes had invisible walls. FFS. The inconsistency is far worse than just allowing a general purpose grapple to anywhere. (Or at least make invisible walls translucent, so we know places are magically off limits).

-scheherazade

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer