Court: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine

TechCrunch has the latest on the ongoing legal battle between Epic Games and Apple (thanks Verno). As part of their dispute over royalties Apple yoinked Fortnite from their App Store and threatened to revoke Epic's ability to support the Unreal Engine. Word is the court has decided Apple is entitled to not sell Fortnite. But they've issued a temporary restraining order against dropping Epic's ability to support the Unreal Engine because of the havoc this would wreak. Here's more on the ruling:
U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said Apple can’t retaliate against Epic Games by blocking the gaming firm’s developer accounts or restrict developers on Apple platforms from accessing the widely-used Unreal Engine tools.

“The record shows potential significant damage to both the Unreal Engine platform itself, and to the gaming industry generally, including on both third-party developers and gamers,” she said, adding that even as Epic Games violated App Store’s guidelines, it did not breach any contracts related to Unreal Engine and developer tools.

“Apple has chosen to act severely, and by doing so, has impacted non-parties, and a third-party developer ecosystem,” said Rogers.

But the ruling was not a complete win for Epic Games, which had also requested the sleeper hit title Fortnite to be restored on the iOS App Store. Rogers said the game will remain off the App Store unless Epic Games attempted to bring it back in accordance with App Store guidelines.
View : : :

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine
Aug 25, 2020, 19:30
Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine Aug 25, 2020, 19:30
Aug 25, 2020, 19:30

Mordhaus wrote on Aug 25, 2020, 19:25:
I worked for Apple for years near the start of the decade, leaving as I saw what Tim Cook was doing to the company. Don't get me wrong, Apple under Steve was just as overpriced, but it was good tech. Tim has shifted Apple into producing shitty tech that is incrementally 'NEW' like a Madden or COD game, is designed to fail, is designed to be unrepairable/upgradeable, and is farmed out to the lowest cost slave labor possible.

All of the people who buy Apple need to realize that by using them they are:

- Promoting waste because the machines are designed to fail.
- Buying products from a company that exploits modern day slavery like a plantation owner back in the day.

But...but..... I don't care about that, I just want the latest fashion accessory! And you can't put a price on looking cool
Date
Subject
Author
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 26, 2020Aug 26 2020
Aug 25, 2020Aug 25 2020
 Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine