announces that starting in October everyone using an Oculus
device for the first time will be required to log in to Facebook (thanks
). As of the beginning of 2023, all Oculus owners will need
a Facebook account to retain full functionality of their headsets. Here's the
summary of the lengthy update:
What changes are coming to accounts on
Starting in October 2020:
- Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in
with a Facebook account.
- If you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will
have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook
- If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you
can continue using your Oculus account for two years.
Starting In January 2023:
- We will end support for Oculus accounts.
- If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue
using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account.
- We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have
purchased, though some games and apps may no longer work. This could be
because they require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to
no longer support the app or game you purchased.
All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if
you already have an Oculus account.