Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement

The Oculus Blog announces that starting in October everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will be required to log in to Facebook (thanks Hypothermia). As of the beginning of 2023, all Oculus owners will need a Facebook account to retain full functionality of their headsets. Here's the summary of the lengthy update:
What changes are coming to accounts on Oculus?
Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.
  • If you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.
  • If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

Starting In January 2023:

• We will end support for Oculus accounts.
  • If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account.
  • We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased.

All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

View : : :
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement
Aug 25, 2020, 17:27
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 25, 2020, 17:27
Aug 25, 2020, 17:27

Yikes, how did I miss this headline the first time around? Facebook has the dubious distinction of being one of a handful of sites that I permanently block at the DNS level. Creating an account is not an option I'm willing to negotiate.

Aug 22, 2020, 14:08
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 22, 2020, 14:08
Aug 22, 2020, 14:08

My facebook account has yet to be deactivated and its been running for years.

Plus I have faith the EU will fuck this idea over after a while and if not my riftS will be no use by the time it is enforced.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Aug 20, 2020, 12:51
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 20, 2020, 12:51
Aug 20, 2020, 12:51

Well, that rules out me ever getting an Oculus device. I had actually considered one following the release of Half-Life: Alyx but fortunately I held off.

There is absolutely no reason to require a Facebook account. I deleted my account years ago for good reason and under no circumstances will I ever sign up for a new account. Therefore this move would render the device unusable for me. This is an absolutely despicable move but sadly not a surprising one.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Aug 19, 2020, 22:11
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 22:11
Aug 19, 2020, 22:11

Damn. I was getting kind of excited about the upcoming Quest 2. But the FB requirement is a deal breaker.
Ted Cruz - All the warmth and charm of Richard Nixon without any sense of honor or duty.

Aug 19, 2020, 17:57
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 17:57
Aug 19, 2020, 17:57

Armengar wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 16:23:
Damn. Looks like i will need to use pleasedontspamme1@gmail.com and its facebook account. It has a twitter account too.
Facebook deactivates those accounts on a regular basis and if you did use it it could only be tied to one VR device so that idea is pretty much kaput.

Aug 19, 2020, 16:23
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 16:23
Aug 19, 2020, 16:23

Damn. Looks like i will need to use pleasedontspamme1@gmail.com and its facebook account. It has a twitter account too.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Aug 19, 2020, 15:07
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 15:07
Aug 19, 2020, 15:07

Dacron wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 12:55:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 09:57:
RabidStoat wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 09:42:
Verno wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 08:57:

What annoys me about GFE and software like it is their inability to retain the login cookie properly, I feel like every time I go to use them I have to login.

This, oh this over and over again. What is with these companies - i don't know how many times i get asked this for e.g. Riot, Origin, sometimes Steam, sometimes Epic. I know they're not all strictly web based. But for pete's sake, dont tease me with a "remember me" button and then instantly forget me. F***ers.

Combined with the need for a password that is 24 characters, not that can repeat twice or be sequential, none of which can be a word (even accidentally), must contain special characters, must be in 4 languages, and most not repeat any of your previous passwords or any password anyone else is currently using for any system globally, there's a 0% chance I remember what it is, meaning I need to reset the password every time, meaning I eventually stop bothering for things that just aren't that important, like weird drivers that shouldn't need any kind of log in security at all.

Obligatory xkcd

That's how I used to do it (though I think some here say it's actually not that secure), but I've seen a few that will nix anything that's a word. Meaning correcthorsebatteryvampire wouldn't work, but also means 3Ih!aXe39DhnBjy9E$1 wouldn't, because "axe."

Aug 19, 2020, 13:54
Dev
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 13:54
Aug 19, 2020, 13:54
Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2020, 21:07:
EUTHANIZE wrote on Aug 18, 2020, 20:42:
Guess that makes my future VR shopping a little easier.
this
so much this
Or buy one before october for $400 (or less used), and use it for 2 years without the facebooks. It's likely to be obsolete by then, and you can jump in on a better iteration from valve or HP et.

Aug 19, 2020, 13:26
Verno

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 13:26
Aug 19, 2020, 13:26
 Verno

I'm confused by the backlash. Does creating a facebook account require sharing more information than creating other accounts such as gmail or netflix?

If it doesn't... then... just don't over share?

I think it's both a privacy thing and a "Facebook is evil" thing. Facebook knew people were doing this so a few years ago they started looking for burner accounts, under the auspices of hunting bots which is probably part of the reason they do it to be fair. They want a raft of personal info and a valid phone number you have to verify otherwise they just lockout the account. I don't want a Facebook login, I certainly don't want to give them my personal info and they might lockout a burner account if I make one so I definitely don't want purchases tagged to it. So I'll probably sell my Rift S and get an Index or whatever is out at that point instead.

I understand Facebook's perspective, they want to rebrand Oculus and integrate all of their databases but I'm just not interested in ever using Facebook. VR is pretty neat but Facebook isn't the only game in town for it.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Aug 19, 2020, 12:55
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 12:55
Aug 19, 2020, 12:55

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 09:57:
RabidStoat wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 09:42:
Verno wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 08:57:

What annoys me about GFE and software like it is their inability to retain the login cookie properly, I feel like every time I go to use them I have to login.

This, oh this over and over again. What is with these companies - i don't know how many times i get asked this for e.g. Riot, Origin, sometimes Steam, sometimes Epic. I know they're not all strictly web based. But for pete's sake, dont tease me with a "remember me" button and then instantly forget me. F***ers.

Combined with the need for a password that is 24 characters, not that can repeat twice or be sequential, none of which can be a word (even accidentally), must contain special characters, must be in 4 languages, and most not repeat any of your previous passwords or any password anyone else is currently using for any system globally, there's a 0% chance I remember what it is, meaning I need to reset the password every time, meaning I eventually stop bothering for things that just aren't that important, like weird drivers that shouldn't need any kind of log in security at all.

Obligatory xkcd
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Aug 19, 2020, 12:42
Verno

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 12:42
Aug 19, 2020, 12:42
 Verno

You have whined about this “1st world problem“ here several times. But you have never once said that you sent in a tech support request message to the companies that you continually bitch about here. But doing something like that which is incredibly obvious and self-explanatory could only need to be explained to you, of course.
Sorry buddy, I don’t feel the horror and pain that you go through by having to move your mouse around on a pad and click a few times on your keyboard.

No one asked you to care or said we're feeling "horror and pain", stop being melodramatic. We're discussing an issue directly related to the topic. If you don't like that then too bad. You don't get to decide what the rest of us talk about or how often we do it. It obviously bothers enough of us to comment on it and remains a software defect that needs to be fixed, especially as it relates to third party logins. No one has to prove anything to you either. You're red faced due to your embarrassment but you only have yourself to blame for needlessly being rude and trying to pick an e-fight over something that you were wrong about in the first place.

Aug 19, 2020, 12:10
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 12:10

I think the deeper question, though, is why are there passwords at all?

I don't think there's a way to buy anything via the GeForce drivers. There's no personal information other than my email. Why does it need me to log in on my own desktop, ever? What value does either side get out of this? What's being protected?

At best, it's so NVIDIA can verify that I use the email that I'm entering. Then why not have it be a sole, one-time registration?
The net result is I lose my password, can't be bothered to resend it, so I just end up Xing out of anything asking me to log in when I reboot.

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 12:10

Verno wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 11:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 10:44:
New first world problem.
“ It won’t remember my login, Wah”
Password managers are a dime a dozen. Or do what I do, a text document on the desktop that says password. If the bogeyman makes it to my desktop I’ve already in deep doodoo.

https://pwsafe.org/ (Recommended by our very own Mr. Tact)

https://my.norton.com/extspa/passwordmanager?path=pwd-gen

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Most of us already use password managers, good ones like BitWarden even. It doesn't change the fact that it's annoying and bad design for these applications to be constantly losing their login credentials, particularly when they have a feature that is literally labeled "Remember me" for such purposes. It creates an extra step for users who need to unlock their vault, find the password and enter it again, unnecessarily. But something this incredibly obvious and self-explanatory could only need to be explained to you, of course.
You have whined about this “1st world problem“ here several times. But you have never once said that you sent in a tech support request message to the companies that you continually bitch about here. But doing something like that which is incredibly obvious and self-explanatory could only need to be explained to you, of course.
Sorry buddy, I don’t feel the horror and pain that you go through by having to move your mouse around on a pad and click a few times on your keyboard.

Edit
It’s interesting how you know what “Most of us already use”, do you have an actual source for that or is it based on a Ouija board.

Aug 19, 2020, 11:30
Verno

Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 11:30
Aug 19, 2020, 11:30
 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 10:44:
New first world problem.
Password managers are a dime a dozen. Or do what I do, a text document on the desktop that says password. If the bogeyman makes it to my desktop I’ve already in deep doodoo.

https://pwsafe.org/ (Recommended by our very own Mr. Tact

Most of us already use password managers, good ones like BitWarden even. It doesn't change the fact that it's annoying and bad design for these applications to be constantly losing their login credentials, particularly when they have a feature that is literally labeled "Remember me" for such purposes. It creates an extra step for users who need to unlock their vault, find the password and enter it again, unnecessarily. But something this incredibly obvious and self-explanatory could only need to be explained to you, of course.

Aug 19, 2020, 11:10
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 11:10
Aug 19, 2020, 11:10

Facebook has turned into the virtual cesspool of the world. What started with a good idea became a platform for hate, intolerance, self-entitlement, disinformation, and prejudice. I can't imagine any software/hardware having a requirement to create a Facebook account. It looks like the Index will be on the Steam top 10 list again

Aug 19, 2020, 11:02
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 11:02
Aug 19, 2020, 11:02

If this happens I will make a burner facebook account and link to that.

Aug 19, 2020, 11:01
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 11:01
Aug 19, 2020, 11:01

I'm confused by the backlash. Does creating a facebook account require sharing more information than creating other accounts such as gmail or netflix?

If it doesn't... then... just don't over share?

Aug 19, 2020, 11:00
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 11:00
Aug 19, 2020, 11:00

theglaze wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 10:56:
I have no idea where the discussion is within this interview with Jeri about Valve and VR, but she talked about using various sensors to monitor body metrics from the user (something Iike pupil dilation, heart rate, forehead temperature, etc), and extrapolating the users emotions as they play a VR game. I believe Valve's intent/interest was to detect when a user is getting frustrated and dynamically changing the difficulty of the game, so they don't stop playing.
Add skin resistivity and blood pressure and you’ve got a built in lie detector.

Aug 19, 2020, 10:56
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 10:56
Aug 19, 2020, 10:56

I have no idea where the discussion is within this interview with Jeri about Valve and VR, but she talked about using various sensors to monitor body metrics from the user (something Iike pupil dilation, heart rate, forehead temperature, etc), and extrapolating the users emotions as they play a VR game. I believe Valve's intent/interest was to detect when a user is getting frustrated and dynamically changing the difficulty of the game, so they don't stop playing.

I guarantee you that FB is very excited to apply similar data harvesting to its Oculus users, increasing the accuracy of FB's emotional indexes of its users, allowing it to apply more manipulative 'business practices'.

Aug 19, 2020, 10:44
Re: Oculus Adding Facebook Account Requirement Aug 19, 2020, 10:44
Aug 19, 2020, 10:44

New first world problem.

https://pwsafe.org/ (Recommended by our very own Mr. Tact

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older