G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announced

IGN has first details on G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout, a team-based third-person shooter that will be released for PC and consoles on October 13th. They have a Reveal Trailer and details on what to expect on the tie-in, which will be based more on the comic book series than the toys or cartoons:
Allowing you to play as 12 characters across Team Joe and Team Cobra, the game will feature an 18-mission campaign in single-player or local split-screen co-op and a variety of PvP multiplayer modes.

The campaign will be an original story based on 80s comics, taking you to Cobra Headquarters and the U.S.S. Flagg. Multiplayer will include Capture the Flag, Assault and King of the Hill modes.

The game seems to be taking something of a hero shooter template, with characters each coming with unique powers, but customisable weapons and looks. Confirmed playable characters include Duke, Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Destro, Roadblock, and Storm Shadow.
View : : :
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announced
Aug 13, 2020, 11:46
Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announced Aug 13, 2020, 11:46
Aug 13, 2020, 11:46

Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Aug 13, 2020, 11:39:
I was a big fan of G.I. Joe as a kid, but the trailer didn't invoke much nostalgia or interest. It looks like a colourful action game with little depth. Never-the-less, I might check it out if the reviews are decent. I am already skeptical though.

I was also a big fan of GI Joe, at least for a while. Had a good amount of the toys, including Sergeant Slaughter; probably 8 or 9 total GI Joe toys. I loved the cartoon. I owned the movie on VHS. I have no nostalgia for it, though. None.
Part of me wonders if it's just that I was super young when I was a GI Joe fan, and moved to matchbox and LEGO when I got a bit older. Part of me wonders if the movies killed nostalgia even if I never watched them. Part of me wonders if it's something about GI Joe in general that's led to it being less a part of pop culture outside of the 80s despite other, similar products having lasting power.

Or, maybe I'm just too old for that kind of nostalgia. I feel as if my nostalgia for GI Joe is comparable to my nostalgia for MASK. Yet I'll occasionally find websites discussing weird toys I had that never caught on and no one much remembers - those are the ones I have a nostalgia for, oddly.

Aug 13, 2020, 11:39
Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announced Aug 13, 2020, 11:39
Aug 13, 2020, 11:39

I was a big fan of G.I. Joe as a kid, but the trailer didn't invoke much nostalgia or interest. It looks like a colourful action game with little depth. Never-the-less, I might check it out if the reviews are decent. I am already skeptical though.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

Aug 13, 2020, 11:32
Shock

Re: G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout Announced Aug 13, 2020, 11:32
Aug 13, 2020, 11:32
 Shock

I could see an X-com style GI Joe game being a lot of fun. This looks less promising.
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older