28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
Aug 11, 2020, 15:44
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2020, 15:44
Aug 11, 2020, 15:44

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2020, 07:13:
I can’t wait to visit this forum Nov 4th. It will be glorious.

Big Biden fan, eh?
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 11, 2020, 07:13
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2020, 07:13
Aug 11, 2020, 07:13

I can’t wait to visit this forum Nov 4th. It will be glorious.

Faux News -
Aug 11, 2020, 06:44
Faux News - Aug 11, 2020, 06:44
Aug 11, 2020, 06:44

News is like anything else, you get what you paid for.

Free news - bought, paid and slanted by the oligarchy to fit their agenda (not yours).

News you pay for - paid for by you, more likely to look out for your interests when covering news.

If there was a free "news" network paid for by the Democratic party, even the Lump supporters would agree a party produced network is bound to be slanted and less than truthful.

=== DUMP THE LUMP 2020 ===
"Protect us from riots? He can't even protect us from a simple virus."
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Re: Why Wikipedia Decided to Stop Calling Fox a ‘Reliable’ Source
Aug 11, 2020, 05:47
Re: Why Wikipedia Decided to Stop Calling Fox a ‘Reliable’ Source Aug 11, 2020, 05:47
Aug 11, 2020, 05:47

Because it's not?

As for government vs privately owned media, since the government is nowadays in the pocket of corporate lobbyists anyway (Money = Free Speech YAY!) I fail to see the distinction.

Aug 11, 2020, 02:47
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2020, 02:47
Aug 11, 2020, 02:47

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 21:32:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 17:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 14:22:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 13:43:
Unfortunately, News is mostly bullshit opinion these days. It doesn't matter if the news outlet in question has a left or right agenda. Journalists that became journalists to "change the world" got into the business for the absolute wrong reason.... and unfortunately that is 95% of them.

To me it matters more whether I can read facts about a topic or not, and if I google facts, and I get paywalled truth vs not-pay walled maybe-truth.. then things aren't gonna get better in the world. Doesn't even matter what spin or agenda a media outlet has, if the truth "or really the facts with the least spin possible" is paywalled, then it dies. And it makes it far easier for the news outlets with clear agenda to influence when they can reach further. And Fox news reaches further than Wired. 100% because of these paywalls. Political news and day-to-day news should imo NEVER be paywalled.
What should their business model be?

Tax financed and independent like the BBC and German system (which goes even deeper, every federal state has an own public financed website and tv channel, but has less money because of that compared to the BBC) ^^

Government financed media/??! What do you take us fur Communists??
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 10, 2020, 23:14
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 23:14
Aug 10, 2020, 23:14

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 21:32:
Unfortunately, News is mostly bullshit opinion these days. It doesn't matter if the news outlet in question has a left or right agenda. Journalists that became journalists to "change the world" got into the business for the absolute wrong reason.... and unfortunately that is 95% of them.

To me it matters more whether I can read facts about a topic or not, and if I google facts, and I get paywalled truth vs not-pay walled maybe-truth.. then things aren't gonna get better in the world. Doesn't even matter what spin or agenda a media outlet has, if the truth "or really the facts with the least spin possible" is paywalled, then it dies. And it makes it far easier for the news outlets with clear agenda to influence when they can reach further. And Fox news reaches further than Wired. 100% because of these paywalls. Political news and day-to-day news should imo NEVER be paywalled.

Tax financed and independent like the BBC and German system (which goes even deeper, every federal state has an own public financed website and tv channel, but has less money because of that compared to the BBC) ^^

How independent will any tax-funded news organization be if the government decides it wants a propaganda network? Johnson can't touch the BBC licensing fee that UK citizens pay, but he's threatened to decriminalize non-payment. The US's versions are the Voice of America, and to a lesser degree, NPR and PBS. Trump and his pack have ousted the heads of the Voice of America and called for it to better represent "American values," installing a Trump crony at its head, and they've been attacking the government funding for NPR and PBS pretty much non-stop.

The executive branch and half the legislative branch of the US are currently controlled by bad people who have no patience for whistleblowers or unslanted opinions -- you're with Trump or you're against them. To Trump, Fox News is disloyal trash; One America News Network is more his speed. From the diplomatic corps, the Voice of America and defense to the National Weather Service, watchdog inspectors and education, career workers have been pushed out in favor of unqualified yes-men. I think if the US created a news network and got it approved and funded under the current regime, you might as well go to the People's Daily in China for unbiased reporting.

Aug 10, 2020, 21:48
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 21:48
Aug 10, 2020, 21:48

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 17:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 12:01:
I always have several browsers installed. Just clear the cookies on one and read away.
Or copy the link and see if it’s already been saved at archive.is (at least until that loophole is fixed)
About right wing fake news being the only news that is available freely, you get what you pay for.
If you don’t want to pay for news then you can stay confused.
Outline.com is your friend.

Thanks I gave it a try, pretty good and will keep it in mind. What I've been doing is using the Element Picking option in Ublock Origins. You can go through websites and clean the shit out of them, it finds the frameworks and you can block it in full from that site, any page. The first article I picked to test your site out with what I had set already, both were good, the one I had with Ublock did a little better formatting in this case, 1 of a 1000.

Aug 10, 2020, 21:32
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 21:32
Aug 10, 2020, 21:32

Aug 10, 2020, 18:19
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 18:19
Aug 10, 2020, 18:19

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 17:40:
Fox News controversies.
It’s like Riot and UbiSoft joined forces and started a news channel.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Aug 10, 2020, 17:40
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 17:40
Aug 10, 2020, 17:40

Fox News controversies.

Aug 10, 2020, 17:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 17:39
Aug 10, 2020, 17:39

Aug 10, 2020, 17:35
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 17:35
Aug 10, 2020, 17:35

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 12:01:
I always have several browsers installed. Just clear the cookies on one and read away.
Or copy the link and see if it’s already been saved at archive.is (at least until that loophole is fixed)
About right wing fake news being the only news that is available freely, you get what you pay for.
If you don’t want to pay for news then you can stay confused.
Outline.com is your friend.

Aug 10, 2020, 17:06
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 17:06
Aug 10, 2020, 17:06

You pay no matter what. With Fox or CNN... they track the living shit out of you and target ads at you, instead of having a paywall.

Here is a list of Domains that Fox News makes you jump through on JUST their home page:

foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com
1rx.io
2mdn.net
adap.tv
addthis.com
adentifi.com
adform.net
adgrx.com
adhigh.net
adnxs.com
adsrvr.org
adsymptotic.com
advertising.com
agkn.com
ajax.googleapis.com
akamaihd.net
akamaized.net
amazon-adsystem.com
appier.net
aswpsdkus.com
bidr.io
bidswitch.net
bing.com
brealtime.com
casalemedia.com
chartbeat.com
chartbeat.net
cloudflare.com
contextweb.com
creativecdn.com
criteo.com
criteo.net
d31otfhas71ais.cloudfront.net
de9a11s35xj3d.cloudfront.net
demdex.net
digitru.st
dnacdn.net
dotomi.com
doubleclick.net
edgekey.net
everesttech.net
exelator.com
eyeota.net
eyereturn.com
fiftyt.com
fncstatic.com
fonts.googleapis.com
foxbusiness.com
go-mpulse.net
google-analytics.com
google.com
googlesyndication.com
googletagmanager.com
googletagservices.com
gstatic.com
gumgum.com
gwallet.com
h-cdn.com
imrworldwide.com
indexww.com
invitemedia.com
ipredictive.com
jsdelivr.net
krxd.net
mathtag.com
mfadsrvr.com
moatads.com
mxptint.net
newrelic.com
nr-data.net
omny.fm
omnycontent.com
onaudience.com
openx.net
optimizely.com
owneriq.net
pippio.com
playground.xyz
pswec.com
pubmatic.com
quantserve.com
raygun.io
rfihub.com
rlcdn.com
rubiconproject.com
scorecardresearch.com
segment.com
segment.io
serverbid.com
sharedid.org
simpli.fi
sitescout.com
sonobi.com
tapad.com
taplytics.com
technoratimedia.com
tribalfusion.com
trustx.org
turn.com
unrulymedia.com
w55c.net
webcontentassessor.global.ssl.fastly.net
wishabi.com
yahoo.com
yimg.com
zemanta.com

I block a majority of that shit because I don't like being monetized without my permission. Fox News is especially tough for video content (specifically) because they change their methods to thwart your blocking fairly regularly.

Honestly, if there was a completely unbiased news outlet that I could trust to thoroughly "fact check" before "getting the scoop and spreading shit"... I'd gladly pay for the paywall. Otherwise... they're all shit and I won't pay a dime for garbage / biased / opinionated reporting... including outlets trying to monetize me.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Aug 10, 2020, 15:10
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 15:10
Aug 10, 2020, 15:10

News has never been free. It's not going to change now.

Aug 10, 2020, 14:52
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 14:52
Aug 10, 2020, 14:52

That'd be nice but impractical in reality. Quality news requires hiring people who don't suck to go and do a job. OTOH, crap news or creative writing can hire anyone to throw up anything. They don't have to fly anywhere, interview anyone, cross-check their sources, etc. None of those things are free.

I'd recommend picking one website you trust and support them with a sub. News, unfortunately, isn't a charity service and quality news companies make way less in the post internet world than they did pre-internet. Even Blues, which has zero journalists, needs cash to stay afloat. That's just reality. This is especially true for smaller local news organization who've been hit way harder by the internet. This, imho, is one of the reasons news quality has been on a steady decline for so long.

Aug 10, 2020, 14:47
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 14:47
Aug 10, 2020, 14:47

I think that speaks to Horrorscope's point. If you have a political agenda, you might be willing to spend money to get slanted news out. That money probably comes from donors who align with your politics. If your agenda, your product, is objective reporting, then who's paying for it?

Aug 10, 2020, 14:22
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 14:22
Aug 10, 2020, 14:22

Aug 10, 2020, 13:43
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 13:43
Aug 10, 2020, 13:43

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Aug 10, 2020, 12:54
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 12:54
Aug 10, 2020, 12:54

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2020, 12:44:
All you need to know about faux noise
We rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared. Further, Fox News would be rated a Questionable source based on numerous failed fact checks by hosts and pundits...
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/

Next in line of pure shit is the Sinclair Group https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sinclair-broadcast-group/
,.,.,.,.,.,.m.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,,.,.

Here’s the wired article http://archive.today/TvWHy

Thanks

Aug 10, 2020, 12:44
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 10, 2020, 12:44
Aug 10, 2020, 12:44

All you need to know about faux noise
We rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared. Further, Fox News would be rated a Questionable source based on numerous failed fact checks by hosts and pundits...
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/

Next in line of pure shit is the Sinclair Group https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sinclair-broadcast-group/
,.,.,.,.,.,.m.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,,.,.

Here’s the wired article http://archive.today/TvWHy
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older