Out of the Blue

Well our power returned this evening, less than an hour after our cell service was also restored. We are very grateful that this was all worked out when it did, because earlier today our water basically ceased running, so presumably the power outage affected the pumping station as well. Running water was our only trace of civilization remaining, so if the outage continued we may have had to seek shelter in a hotel. As I previously mentioned, this was the result of a tornado which brought winds estimated at 105 mph. Tornados are unusual in this area, and the damage was severe. We went on a couple of supply runs over the past couple of days, and it was impossible to go anywhere without encountering detours due to road closures. There are still nearby areas without power, so we're thankful to be back up. Apologies for the downtime. Whatever patience you were able to muster is greatly appreciated.

Obituary: John Fleming Of Real Hardware Reviews Is Dead.

Catch-up Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Play

Stories

Science

Media
Thanks RedEye9.

The Funnies

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 7, 2020, 15:41
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 15:41
Aug 7, 2020, 15:41

Shock wrote on Aug 7, 2020, 10:58:
I've seen the wreckage that occurs when a tornado goes through a wooded area.
I watched from about 1/4 of a mile away while a tornado did a direct hit on the base hospital on McConnell AFB on 26 Apr 1991. I was dumbstruck, fascinated, and awed all at the same time.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 7, 2020, 10:58
Shock

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 10:58
Aug 7, 2020, 10:58
 Shock

I've seen the wreckage that occurs when a tornado goes through a wooded area. Just incredible amounts of damage. A couple of days without power is a pretty good turnaround all things considered.

Aug 7, 2020, 10:51
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 10:51
Aug 7, 2020, 10:51

Just realized how idiotic it was to joke about the ducks, there was a storm and I imagine predictors too. So there could have actually been some missing, sorry Blue and everyone. Kick (self kick)
I can only claim delirium from sleep deprivation, 16 hours a day, 7 days a weeks for almost two years now, being a caregiver for my mother.
I try to use humor to deal with everything, but sometimes (most? ) times my jokes suck.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Re: Money laundering video
Aug 7, 2020, 09:27
Re: Money laundering video Aug 7, 2020, 09:27
Aug 7, 2020, 09:27

The Flying Penguin wrote on Aug 7, 2020, 08:27:
That money laundering fact check video was pretty interesting.
I have occasionally wondered if you found a bank bag by the side of the road and it had a million dollar in hundreds in it -- how could you integrate that cash into your life without catching unwanted attention? Assuming you are not already a criminal and money launderer, it would not be easy...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Money laundering video
Aug 7, 2020, 08:27
Money laundering video Aug 7, 2020, 08:27
Aug 7, 2020, 08:27

That money laundering fact check video was pretty interesting.
- The Flying Penguin

Aug 7, 2020, 08:04
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 08:04
Aug 7, 2020, 08:04

fakespyder wrote on Aug 6, 2020, 23:03:
When you lose power, water and communications for more than a few hours it really hits you how dependant we are on each other.
At first it is kind of novel:
"Honey break out the candles"
but a few hours later it is:
"Don't use the toilet! There's no water! We may need it to live!"

BoP's state of emergency preparedness:

1. Grid power off? Well, there's the solar panels and battery banks which can keep the fridge and portable AC unit going for quite a long time. I've got a portable four panel solar kit that charges a good sized LIon battery and the battery can easily run the CPAP machines all night. Both of the panel setups are amorphous so they still generate on cloudy days. Should that fail there is always the generator. We have portable LED lamps we use while camping that are also solar charged so light at night is available.
2. 550 gallons of potable and treated rainwater means clean drinking and cooking water for quite a long time. Camp style bathing every other day using no more than a gallon each. We'll be good for quite a long time.
3. I've got a fire pit and a propane grill so cooking is squared away.
4. No communications? No problem! The wife and I have hundreds of books to entertain us plus the company of one another.

Living in a rural area that had frequent power outages due to high winds, hurricanes, tornadoes, and extreme heat taught us to be as self-reliant as possible.

////------\\\\

Glad you and Mrs. Blue are OK, Blue. Welcome back and here's to hoping that life gets back to normal for you sooner than later.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 7, 2020, 03:31
NKD
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 03:31
Aug 7, 2020, 03:31
NKD

Depression sucks. Cheaters are the worst.
"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Aug 7, 2020, 02:55
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 02:55
Aug 7, 2020, 02:55
 El Pit

Apologies accepted, Captain Needa.

Just kidding. No apologies needed, Blue. I hope the power stays on and the crisis at the Blue tower is over.

Maybe you need a Blue Cave somewhere dug deep in the mountains with auxiliary power and a satellite internet connection... Just in case.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Aug 7, 2020, 02:39
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 02:39
Aug 7, 2020, 02:39

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 7, 2020, 00:20:
Jesus fuck, that post about John Fleming.
Sad.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 7, 2020, 02:07
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 02:07
Aug 7, 2020, 02:07

Just glad you folks are OK, Blue! One of the worst things for extended power outages is not just the sheer misery of it in the heat of the summer when the AC is out, and the inside humidity steadily mounts--but the uncertainty of it--"Will the power come back in five minutes--five hours-or five days?" Grrrrrr-r-r-r-rrr, again--so nice you and yours came through unscathed, more or less! It's spooky, almost a movie-classic disaster scenario, when all around you are downed trees, power lines, road signs, even a few abandoned vehicles! Such things always encourage my wife and I to take stock of our blessings with the reminder that --just like that!--snap-your-finger--all we know can be easily taken from us!
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Aug 7, 2020, 00:51
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 00:51
Aug 7, 2020, 00:51

And there some say Covid-19 pandemic doesn't have upsides, for the people of Windsor it sure does. One less hum to worry about.

Aug 7, 2020, 00:20
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2020, 00:20
Aug 7, 2020, 00:20

Jesus fuck, that post about John Fleming.

Aug 6, 2020, 23:28
Ant

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 23:28
Aug 6, 2020, 23:28
 Ant

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2020, 22:09:
Good to hear, Blue. Maybe time to consider a generator seeing as 2020 is apparently going to be a record for hurricane season.

And Tact, thanks again for the heads up on that Alistair Maclean novel. I did not know he wrote The Satan Bug and the following - to name only a few of his extensive works, all of which are damn good films I quite like - The Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, Breakheart Pass, Force 10 from Navarone - which I watched last night strangely enough. Wow, I had no idea it was the same man who wrote of all those. I'll definitely need to start reading his stuff.
It's not just for natural disasters! COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2 too. Better stock up for the next whatever happens. Welcome back, Blue! Yeah, what about those ducks? Are they OK too?
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Aug 6, 2020, 23:03
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 23:03
Aug 6, 2020, 23:03

When you lose power, water and communications for more than a few hours it really hits you how dependant we are on each other.
At first it is kind of novel:
"Honey break out the candles"
but a few hours later it is:
"Don't use the toilet! There's no water! We may need it to live!"

Aug 6, 2020, 22:31
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 22:31
Aug 6, 2020, 22:31

Why aren't you telling the truth about the missing ducks! Giggle

Welcome back to the big boss. Salute
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Aug 6, 2020, 22:21
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 22:21
Aug 6, 2020, 22:21

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2020, 22:12:
That Federer vid is quite awesome.
I totally agree.

Aug 6, 2020, 22:12
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 22:12
Aug 6, 2020, 22:12

That Federer vid is quite awesome.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 6, 2020, 22:09
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 22:09
Aug 6, 2020, 22:09
 Cutter

Good to hear, Blue. Maybe time to consider a generator seeing as 2020 is apparently going to be a record for hurricane season.

And Tact, thanks again for the heads up on that Alistair Maclean novel. I did not know he wrote The Satan Bug and the following - to name only a few of his extensive works, all of which are damn good films I quite like - The Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, Breakheart Pass, Force 10 from Navarone - which I watched last night strangely enough. Wow, I had no idea it was the same man who wrote of all those. I'll definitely need to start reading his stuff.

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older