Out of the Blue

I've gotten a report of at least one reader getting bounces when attempting to email us here. I'm looking into figuring out what is happening there. If you are experience similar problems, please consider dropping a comment here with any details you can share to help track down what's going on. Thanks!

Obituary: Bill English- Computer mouse co-creator dies at 91.
Obituary: John Hume- Nobel Peace Prize winner dies aged 83.

Bouncing Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories
Thanks RedEye9.

Science

Images

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 4, 2020, 17:07
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2020, 17:07
Aug 4, 2020, 17:07

Frans wrote on Aug 4, 2020, 16:20:
ByteCrawler wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 20:09:
Sure! Check this out, it's a good beginning -- https://blog.mxtoolbox.com/ & https://mxtoolbox.com/dmarc/spf/spf-record-tags

According to an SPF lookup of bluesnews.com the current record reads:

v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ip4:216.45.58.170 ~all

So it's including Google which I'm confused about unless there's something in the backend (like advertising) that may send as the bluesnews.com domain. Because according to your MX record you are not using Google for mail services, here's that record:

10 mx1.netsolmail.net

mx1.netsolmail.net resolves to 172.65.252.97 which isn't included in the SPF record and should be. Not sure what 216.45.58.170 (resolves server35.bluesnews.com) is, my guess it's the website which also emails as bluesnews.com.

The current SPF record is set to ~all which is a SoftFail (receiving mail servers for the most part will accept them but mark as spam, unless they set it otherwise). As opposed to you setting a HardFail which tells any receiving server if it's not coming from a server specified in the SPF then kick it back. General practice is to keep SoftFail. Anyways my guess is your SPF record should look like this (including Google or not is up to you depending on if you're worried you're using a Google service that's potentially sending as bluesnews.com).

v=spf ip4:216.45.58.170 ip4:172.65.252.97 include:_spf.google.com ~all

Let me know if you have any more questions.
The google include is in all the tutorials I saw, including your spf-record-tags link above. I suppose in our situation it is more like a 'could-come-in-handy-but-is-probably-not-needed' entry.
The MX record is for receiving mail, not sending, so I don't think that needs to be in the Sender PF entry. If you still think otherwise, please explain why.

The bluesnews.com IP entry is the main reason I set up SPF, because lots of script-generated mails (welcome info, password change, reports, notifications) originate from the server.

And Blue sends via smtp.bluesnews.com, so that had to be added. The TXT record has now been updated.

Thanks for the input. Thumbsup
Of course, as you say, none of this could have influenced the reception of mails last week. I encountered a few warnings about delayed delivery too, but none bounced in the end. So I'm guessing it was a temporary hiccup at netsolmail.net.

For the MX record I typically include it just in-case, sort of how you saw in every tutorial it has an include for Google’s SPF. But it sounds like you have it all under control!

Aug 4, 2020, 16:20
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2020, 16:20
Aug 4, 2020, 16:20

ByteCrawler wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 20:09:
Sure! Check this out, it's a good beginning -- https://blog.mxtoolbox.com/ & https://mxtoolbox.com/dmarc/spf/spf-record-tags

So it's including Google which I'm confused about unless there's something in the backend (like advertising) that may send as the bluesnews.com domain. Because according to your MX record you are not using Google for mail services, here's that record:

10 mx1.netsolmail.net

mx1.netsolmail.net resolves to 172.65.252.97 which isn't included in the SPF record and should be. Not sure what 216.45.58.170 (resolves server35.bluesnews.com) is, my guess it's the website which also emails as bluesnews.com.

The current SPF record is set to ~all which is a SoftFail (receiving mail servers for the most part will accept them but mark as spam, unless they set it otherwise). As opposed to you setting a HardFail which tells any receiving server if it's not coming from a server specified in the SPF then kick it back. General practice is to keep SoftFail. Anyways my guess is your SPF record should look like this (including Google or not is up to you depending on if you're worried you're using a Google service that's potentially sending as bluesnews.com).

The google include is in all the tutorials I saw, including your spf-record-tags link above. I suppose in our situation it is more like a 'could-come-in-handy-but-is-probably-not-needed' entry.
The MX record is for receiving mail, not sending, so I don't think that needs to be in the Sender PF entry. If you still think otherwise, please explain why.

The bluesnews.com IP entry is the main reason I set up SPF, because lots of script-generated mails (welcome info, password change, reports, notifications) originate from the server.

And Blue sends via smtp.bluesnews.com, so that had to be added. The TXT record has now been updated.

Thanks for the input. Thumbsup
Of course, as you say, none of this could have influenced the reception of mails last week. I encountered a few warnings about delayed delivery too, but none bounced in the end. So I'm guessing it was a temporary hiccup at netsolmail.net.
-- Frans

Aug 4, 2020, 00:21
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2020, 00:21
Aug 4, 2020, 00:21

It may have been an ISP interfering with my mail going to Blue (but not other people...strange). When I switched my smartphone over to LTE (mobile network) from the lodge's wifi the emails went through.

Aug 3, 2020, 20:09
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 20:09
Aug 3, 2020, 20:09

Frans wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 17:32:
ByteCrawler wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 15:09:
Depending on what the bounced email is reporting it could be a range of things. However I did do an SPF record lookup for bluesnews.com and it seems to be missing the sending MX server in the record. Depending on how other mail servers are they can either a) classify the message as spam and let it through or b) bounce the message. But that's when sending from bluesnews.com not so much sending to.
Where/how did you do that? Please enlighten me, I don't have much experience in this area.

10 mx1.netsolmail.net

Aug 3, 2020, 19:19
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 19:19
Aug 3, 2020, 19:19

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 16:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 15:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 15:34:
Crazy to think things could get so bad in the US people would see what was going on and be brought to tears.

My inlaws and her cousins are deeply worried about Mrs. Burrito and I. Her sister legitimately cried on the phone the other day and she's not a particularly emotional person. We have been encouraged, even begged, to move today. My Irish family are deeply worried as well. My European and Australian friends are likewise concerned.

The general consensus is "What the actual fuck is wrong with the US? Your president is legitimately insane and it seems like your country wants you all to die." They're aghast at how badly the US is handling this pandemic.

We had reports of cases at our local Costco this past week. So my wife made me do delivery yesterday. Worked like a charm, but cost about 20% more than normal, including a generous tip to the delivery person.

We have constantly escalating case counts in my county. Delivery is the only sane option. Cost be damned.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 3, 2020, 18:28
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 18:28
Aug 3, 2020, 18:28

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 14:37:
What Does America’s Coronavirus Response Look Like Abroad? | NYT Opinion 6 minute reaction video
The rest of the world feels just like us!!

This reminds me of a time 4 years ago, when I asked my conservative/republican friend (who's actually incredibly intelligent) if he was going to vote for Trump. The first thing that came out of his mouth was "No way, a guy like that will kill us all!"

I guess you could say that my friend nailed it
"Ok, you go upstairs.When he starts attacking me, I'll pull him around the pillars while you shoot down at him. I'll take out any fartbags that spawn" -me

Aug 3, 2020, 18:17
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 18:17
Aug 3, 2020, 18:17

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 17:55:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 13:35:
'White supremacist' Trump supporter slaps woman and gets choked out.
A mother told him to pull up his pants, because there were kids around. Urk

Wow, that's some serious WTF-ery. Instant karma right there. What did that guy think was going to happen?
Well, I don't know what he thought, but what is going to happen is an arrest and likely conviction for assault and battery....
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 3, 2020, 18:02
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 18:02
Aug 3, 2020, 18:02

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 16:40:
Crazy to think things could get so bad in the US people would see what was going on and be brought to tears.

My inlaws and her cousins are deeply worried about Mrs. Burrito and I. Her sister legitimately cried on the phone the other day and she's not a particularly emotional person. We have been encouraged, even begged, to move today. My Irish family are deeply worried as well. My European and Australian friends are likewise concerned.

The general consensus is "What the actual fuck is wrong with the US? Your president is legitimately insane and it seems like your country wants you all to die." They're aghast at how badly the US is handling this pandemic.

We had reports of cases at our local Costco this past week. So my wife made me do delivery yesterday. Worked like a charm, but cost about 20% more than normal, including a generous tip to the delivery person.
You islander's gotta nip that shit in the bud.
Definitely cut off all tourism and non-essential travel from the imperialist mainland.

Yeah, we had it under control when we were locked down, but then we tried opening up again. We have pretty good mask discipline, but I think that virus fatigue became a thing, especially among the young. Even dreyerdaughter wanted to go spend the night at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago, and I had to put the kibosh on that. Both the kids will be home for the upcoming school year. Surprisingly, DD is the only BU student from the islands not going to Boston. I was kind of shocked. The flight alone is a pretty big risk, never mind living in the dorms.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 3, 2020, 17:55
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 17:55
Aug 3, 2020, 17:55

Acleacius wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 13:35:
'White supremacist' Trump supporter slaps woman and gets choked out.
A mother told him to pull up his pants, because there were kids around. Urk

Wow, that's some serious WTF-ery. Instant karma right there. What did that guy think was going to happen?
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 3, 2020, 17:32
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 17:32
Aug 3, 2020, 17:32

ByteCrawler wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 15:09:
Depending on what the bounced email is reporting it could be a range of things. However I did do an SPF record lookup for bluesnews.com and it seems to be missing the sending MX server in the record. Depending on how other mail servers are they can either a) classify the message as spam and let it through or b) bounce the message. But that's when sending from bluesnews.com not so much sending to.
Where/how did you do that? Please enlighten me, I don't have much experience in this area.
-- Frans

Aug 3, 2020, 16:40
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:40
Aug 3, 2020, 16:40

You islander's gotta nip that shit in the bud.
Definitely cut off all tourism and non-essential travel from the imperialist mainland.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Aug 3, 2020, 16:39
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:39
Aug 3, 2020, 16:39

dup

Aug 3, 2020, 16:29
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:29
Aug 3, 2020, 16:29

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 16:05:
Danny Trejo is catching up to James Hong.

James Hong is awesome as Po's dad.

Aug 3, 2020, 16:24
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:24
Aug 3, 2020, 16:24

Aug 3, 2020, 16:19
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:19
Aug 3, 2020, 16:19

Given that COVID has basically shut down sporting events, here's what we're left with.

Aug 3, 2020, 16:05
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 16:05
Aug 3, 2020, 16:05

Danny Trejo is catching up to James Hong.

Aug 3, 2020, 15:46
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 15:46
Aug 3, 2020, 15:46

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2020, 16:09.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 3, 2020, 15:34
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 15:34
Aug 3, 2020, 15:34

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 15:20:
Tbh, I didn't watch it to the end: it's just a painful reminder of how badly we've failed as a country, of the ongoing mass death and mass economic ruin, and of the shame of being pitied by the rest of the world, to include the developing world. Trump was right: I'm sick of all the "winning".
The one woman gets very emotional, on the verge of bursting into tears. Crazy to think things could get so bad in the US people would see what was going on and be brought to tears. Man, I would so love to read a history of US from 2000 to around 2030 written in say oh... 2130 or so. ..
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 3, 2020, 15:30
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 15:30
Aug 3, 2020, 15:30

What Does America’s Coronavirus Response Look Like Abroad? | NYT Opinion 6 minute reaction video
Horrifying! Ahh, that sweet girl from South Koren crying for our fallen citizens. Hug
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Aug 3, 2020, 15:20
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 15:20
Aug 3, 2020, 15:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 3, 2020, 14:43:
Yeah, I saw that on NYT. It was semi-amusing, unfortunately since I live in the mess they are observing, it is difficult to be fully amused.

Tbh, I didn't watch it to the end: it's just a painful reminder of how badly we've failed as a country, of the ongoing mass death and mass economic ruin, and of the shame of being pitied by the rest of the world, to include the developing world. Trump was right: I'm sick of all the "winning".
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older