Out of the Blue

Well I may be getting my wish. The giant gang of ducks wandered around behind our house yesterday to coax me out of a little oatmeal. Before too long the lone goose came along and they all seemed very comfortable together. So my hopes that he would manage to make friends with the duckies and have some companions may be coming true. In an unusual development, the swans noticed the commotion at one point and swam over to see what the fuss was all about. They actually came up on shore, which had never happened over here before. The swan leader didn't seem to like the ducks, but he seemed satisfied to just menace them a little without actually chasing or biting anyone. But the oatmeal that the ducks savor so much held no interest for the swans, and with good reason. As big as they seem on the water, they are that much larger up close. The large one was probably all of four feet tall, so the little flakes of oatmeal probably didn't even register for him.

Obituary: Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' and 'The Natural' Actor, Dead at 85.

Suwannee River Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 3, 2020, 06:56
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 06:56
Aug 3, 2020, 06:56

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 21:38:
bigspender wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:21:
Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' and 'The Natural' Actor, Dead at 85.

RIP - loved him in "The Thing" and in Seinfeld.

But also The American Diabetes Association honored Brimley in 2008 for decades spent imploring viewers to check their blood sugar. does bugger all. We've known for quite some time that type 2 diabetes is due to the over-consumption of saturated fat. High blood sugar is just a symptom of the fat keep the sugar in the blood.

We can actually see it with our own eyes thanks to MRI machines. The fat blocks insulin from opening the cells, and feeding them sugar. Therefore the sugar lingers in the blood. So unblock the sink, instead of turning off the tap - address the cause, not the symptom.

And it's crap advice like that from the ADA that kept Brimley on diabetus medication for decades, when the whole time he was about 2 weeks away from being diabetes free. All he had to do is stop eating saturated fat for a while https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-diabetes/

The medication Brimley was on, is likely what destroyed his kidneys. The side effects of drugs like metformin are nasty. But at least he didn't get fornes gangrene (don't google it if you are eating)

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not overweight, I don't eat saturated fats, and I have type II diabetes. My pancreas has stopped producing insulin without some prodding through medication (not metformin). No amount of diet is going to fix that. Diet does help me regulate blood sugar, however, but I would still need insulin one way or another.

You might be surprised how much saturated fat you eat. If you consume dairy (which is anywhere between 50-70% fat by calories) or meat (even the leanest cuts are 30% fat by calories). They try to "get you" by only writing the % of fat by weight, which is not a true representation of what's in the food, because water in meat cooks off, and of course water in milk & cheese makes up most of the weight, but of course water has no calories. The other thing is 1g of fat is over double the calories of 1g of protein, so there is far more fat in meat / dairy that people often realise.

I was pre-diabetic, and just as the video says, completely reversed in a few weeks on diet change. I was lucky enough to read Dr. Neal Barnard's Reversing Diabetes book. From what I understand some people have had diabetes so long it wears out their pancreases ability to create insulin, and to that would be hard to live with so you have my condolences sir :-)

Aug 3, 2020, 06:50
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2020, 06:50
Aug 3, 2020, 06:50

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 22:33:
And it's crap advice like that from the ADA that kept Brimley on diabetus medication for decades, when the whole time he was about 2 weeks away from being diabetes free. All he had to do is stop eating saturated fat for a while https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-diabetes/
One quarter of the people in five years. Just a bit more than 2 weeks for a 1 in 4 chance. That's assuming they didn't miss some other factor... (based simply on your video, I make no claims of my own)
Are you referring to the low carb diet study he said not to do in the video?

Re: Out of the Blue Wilford Brimly RIP
Aug 3, 2020, 06:24
Re: Out of the Blue Wilford Brimly RIP Aug 3, 2020, 06:24
Aug 3, 2020, 06:24

Ah Wilford Brimly, the type cast milk toast, who surprised everyone when he went totally batshit crazy with an axe in "The Thing" and made movie history.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Aug 2, 2020, 23:06
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 23:06
Aug 2, 2020, 23:06

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 22:53:
Insulin price hike was only in America because nobody in America wants affordable healthcare.
Millions of diabetics and Americans that can get insulin at normal prices in Canada. It's fucking ridiculous.
Oh, I was aware it was a US problem. I was just hoping against all odds that it got resolved somehow...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 2, 2020, 22:53
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 22:53
Aug 2, 2020, 22:53

Insulin price hike was only in America because nobody in America wants affordable healthcare.
Millions of diabetics and Americans that can get insulin at normal prices in Canada.
It's fucking ridiculous.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Aug 2, 2020, 22:33
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 22:33
Aug 2, 2020, 22:33

One quarter of the people in five years. Just a bit more than 2 weeks for a 1 in 4 chance. That's assuming they didn't miss some other factor... (based simply on your video, I make no claims of my own)

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 21:38:
I'm not so sure about that. I'm not overweight, I don't eat saturated fats, and I have type II diabetes. My pancreas has stopped producing insulin without some prodding through medication (not metformin). No amount of diet is going to fix that. Diet does help me regulate blood sugar, however, but I would still need insulin one way or another.
That sucks. I heard "recently" (within the last year or so) that insulin prices had spiked significantly. Would I be correct in assuming that is still an issue?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Aug 2, 2020, 21:59
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 21:59
Aug 2, 2020, 21:59

I get it, but wonder somewhat about limits on purchases and hours open.
In one March morning, I went to 5 markets to stock up in certain specifics.
Imagine a family taking turns the same day, incrementing their overall risk of contagion.
I go out every 14 days, no less, sure I don't have it, and not build up a viral charge if incubating.
The market opens at 9.00 oclock, not a soul.
Anyway, have dry legumes and cereals grains till November 2021, no joking.
Also mackerel cans till 2023 for vitamin D (less mercury than tuna).
Won't stop purchases, an abundance of caution never hurts you.
Cooking legumes without salt, went down from 84 kgrs to 70 kgrs (had to work to go up to a healthier 73 kgrs), AND stopped taking blood pressure medication altogether, 12s and 7s for months now.

Aug 2, 2020, 21:38
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 21:38
Aug 2, 2020, 21:38

But also The American Diabetes Association honored Brimley in 2008 for decades spent imploring viewers to check their blood sugar. does bugger all. We've known for quite some time that type 2 diabetes is due to the over-consumption of saturated fat. High blood sugar is just a symptom of the fat keep the sugar in the blood.

We can actually see it with our own eyes thanks to MRI machines. The fat blocks insulin from opening the cells, and feeding them sugar. Therefore the sugar lingers in the blood. So unblock the sink, instead of turning off the tap - address the cause, not the symptom.

The medication Brimley was on, is likely what destroyed his kidneys. The side effects of drugs like metformin are nasty. But at least he didn't get fornes gangrene (don't google it if you are eating)

Aug 2, 2020, 20:48
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 20:48
Aug 2, 2020, 20:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 20:25:
Rigs, fakespyder and were talking about Australia. That's where stricter requirements have been implemented, including a curfew. And it is only some parts of the country -- I am not sure about the size of the area though.
Here’s enough that you can put 2 and 2 together to come up w/4.

Here.

Infection maps
Map 1
More

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/melbourne-population

All local government areas within metropolitan Melbourne will be affected. That includes:
Banyule, Hume, Moreland, Bayside, Kingston, Mornington Peninsula, Boroondara, Knox, Nillumbik, Brimbank, Manningham, Port Phillip, Cardinia, Maribyrnong, Stonnington, Casey, Maroondah, Whitehorse, Darebin, Melbourne, Whittlesea, Frankston, Melton, Wyndham, Glen Eira, Monash, Yarra, Greater Dandenong, Moonee Valley, Yarra Ranges, Hobsons Bay.

https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/discover/melbourne-victoria/metropolitan-melbourne

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2020, 21:01.

Aug 2, 2020, 20:25
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 20:25
Aug 2, 2020, 20:25

Rigs, fakespyder and I were talking about Australia. That's where stricter requirements have been implemented, including a curfew. And it is only some parts of the country -- I am not sure about the size of the area though.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2020, 23:04.

Aug 2, 2020, 18:08
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 18:08
Aug 2, 2020, 18:08
 Cutter

And many people don't work 9-5. There's no shortage of people who work evenings and nights so wtf are they supposed to do? This is where gov't fails. Well intentioned but not thought through at all.

Everyone liked Wilford Brimley. China Syndrome, Hard Target, et al.

Good for Chernobyl, it deserves it. That's one of the best damn mini-series I've seen in a long time...long time.

Haha subliminal pottery much?!

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Aug 2, 2020, 17:31
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:31
Aug 2, 2020, 17:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:19:
fakespyder wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:08:
They've imposed harsher lockdown requirements down here in parts of Aus. Most things like mandatory face masks and only small numbers of people in a store at a time I understand.
But they actually imposed a curfew... I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It makes zero sense as it forces people who might otherwise have gone to the store at less busy times of the day to go during the non-curfew time. Now everyone will be panic buying all at once.
This whole thing is insane and is supposed to last at least 6 weeks!
Yeah well, it seems people weren't following the rules seeing as the case count was quickly going up. It isn't insane, it is how you tamp down a pandemic. Could be worse, you could live in the US where the national level of government wants to let the virus run wild...
I'm just worried for people who are alone and not in the best of shape already. Their routine can be interrupted by this and cause them more anxiety or worse.

You are right about some people not following the rules, but I think a curfew may force some higher-risk people to go out at times when there are more people. Late night shopping with just a few people in the store is far safer than during the day.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2020, 18:03.

Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
Aug 2, 2020, 17:30
 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 17:19:
They've imposed harsher lockdown requirements down here in parts of Aus. Most things like mandatory face masks and only small numbers of people in a store at a time I understand.
But they actually imposed a curfew... I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It makes zero sense as it forces people who might otherwise have gone to the store at less busy times of the day to go during the non-curfew time. Now everyone will be panic buying all at once.
Yeah well, it seems people weren't following the rules seeing as the case count was quickly going up. It isn't insane, it is how you tamp down a pandemic. Could be worse, you could live in the US where the national level of government wants to let the virus run wild...

I spoke to some relatives down FL-way yesterday and they were adamant that what's NOT being said is that there's a very strong feeling of things flying out of control down there. They said all their neighbors are stockpiling again but it seems different this time, like it's going to be an 'end of everything' type scenario and anarchy is going to rule, at least for a little while. They have NO confidence that Trump will do a damn thing except some flashy 'good will' gestures. Basically what I'm saying is people down there are afraid for their lives in more ways than one! And it shouldn't be this way! Here in KY, the numbers have been going steadily up and, yeah, there's a lot of grumbling about Beshear's mandatory mask order but it's obvious why. In fact, I was in a Dollar General Friday and some guy was bitching about having to have it on (since he came in without it and was promptly told to get it on or get out) and no less than three people shut him up pretty quickly. It's time we stopped complaining, did the 'horrible deed' we need to do and get a handle on this thing already!

On another note, just a few days ago I was watching a 'Wheel of the Worst' on YT which had Wilford Brimley and they mentioned he was still alive and I couldn't believe it! So I Googled it, like any normal dope, and sure enough, there he was! NOT TWO DAYS LATER...when I heard about it in the car this morning, I was just blown away, 'I just...he was...I JUST CHECKED IT!' Makes me think I jinxed him somehow... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

Aug 2, 2020, 17:23
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:23
Aug 2, 2020, 17:23

They're not fucking around unlike our murderer.
What are the new rules? From Sunday evening, Melbourne's metro area will be placed under a curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., meaning people will not be allowed to leave their house during those hours. The only reasons to leave will be for work, medical care and caregiving.

Under the new rules, only one person per household will be allowed to leave their homes once a day to pick up essential goods and they must stay within a 5 km (3 mile) radius of their home.

Panic buying can be nipped in the bud by placing limits on how much you can purchase.

Aug 2, 2020, 17:21
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:21
Aug 2, 2020, 17:21

Aug 2, 2020, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:19
Aug 2, 2020, 17:19

Aug 2, 2020, 17:08
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 17:08
Aug 2, 2020, 17:08

Aug 2, 2020, 16:34
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 16:34
Aug 2, 2020, 16:34

Dacote wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 16:29:
No one could have foreseen this Cruise Ship Returns to Sea, Immediately Suffers Coronavirus Outbreak
The amazing part is they got enough passengers willing to board the ship to make launching a ship of that size profitable.

Aug 2, 2020, 16:29
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 16:29
Aug 2, 2020, 16:29

Aug 2, 2020, 15:46
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2020, 15:46
Aug 2, 2020, 15:46

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 2, 2020, 15:44:
Splashdown was a success. https://youtu.be/tSJIQftoxeU
Still haven't opened the door to the capsule.
Morans were out in full force today and they've had to tell the dumbfucks to back off.
I bet the location of the next splashdown will be kept secret and they'll have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon at the ready.
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older