Out of the Blue

Well, today was supposed to be my new D-Day to finish my implant procedure at the dentist, but this has been delayed yet again. The lab that's doing the work for these is in California, and they are hard-hit by the COVID-19 situation out there, so everything's taking longer than expected. Obviously my inconvenience here is trivial compared with the issues the pandemic is causing for so many. So despite how this has dragged on, keeping that in perspective makes it pretty easy to not get upset. But I am very ready to be done with my temporary teeth, so hopefully they can make their new delivery date, which is a couple of weeks hence.

Postponed Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Science

Media

View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 31, 2020, 18:13
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 18:13
Jul 31, 2020, 18:13

Well the question has to be asked.... Blue..... how many Bawls have you had over the years to cause this sort of damage? (that's right I'm throwing it into high gear in the WAY-BACK Machine™)
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Jul 31, 2020, 18:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 18:09
Jul 31, 2020, 18:09

Three of my eight molars have crowns and never had issues like Blue has had. Obviously there was no pandemic, but it was a one week wait with a temporary cap and no problems each time. *shrug*
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jul 31, 2020, 17:10
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 17:10
Jul 31, 2020, 17:10

I know many here listen to podcasts.
I started a Top 10 Podcasts thread under Forums Index >>> General Discussion
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jul 31, 2020, 17:05
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 17:05
Jul 31, 2020, 17:05

What If You Became An Ant For 24 Hours?

We actually have an expert in our forums. He's been an Ant for over 50 years!
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 31, 2020, 17:03
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 17:03
Jul 31, 2020, 17:03

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2020, 13:32:
Researchers recently discovered this unusual twist to the cicada's already horrific zombification story. As the parasitic fungus called Massospora eats away at a cicada's abdomen, replacing it with a mass of yellow spores, the fungus also compels males to flick their wings in movements that are typically performed by females to attract mates.

Now how in the fucking fuck does it know to do that in order to lure in other cicadas?!

It doesn't "know" it. It's triggered by the fungus. It's a mutation that evolved over millennia. That's a very valuable mutation to have, so that's the version of the fungus that has been the most successfully spread.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 31, 2020, 16:50
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 16:50
Jul 31, 2020, 16:50

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 31, 2020, 16:34:
Blue, that sort of BS is why I'm likely to still drive back to Indianapolis to the dentist I had there when I get two molar implants done. They invested in the hardware to not only take digital builds of your mouth (instead of the wax/clay/yuck impression), but they can design the replacement digitally and then, I shit you not, have a machine cut the replacement right then. I've had two crowns done and the entire process happens in one visit, over the course of maybe 3 hours. The machine is like a reverse digital printer, it takes a piece of material that looks like a sugar cube (which has been color matched to the surrounding teeth) and carves it into the digital model. There's no "oops it doesn't fit". They do implants with somewhat the same process, although there's bone grafting and whatnot that has to happen on prior visits first. But the actual implant is made on-site, "while u wait".

I imagine over the next ten years, more and more dentist offices will buy this stuff. It's streamlined their procedures amazingly. I sent my dad there when he needed a tooth crowned recently and he said "It's like I stepped twenty years into the future".
A dentist could run that machine 24-7 cranking out toothes for other dentists.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jul 31, 2020, 16:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 16:34
Jul 31, 2020, 16:34

Blue, that sort of BS is why I'm likely to still drive back to Indianapolis to the dentist I had there when I get two molar implants done. They invested in the hardware to not only take digital builds of your mouth (instead of the wax/clay/yuck impression), but they can design the replacement digitally and then, I shit you not, have a machine cut the replacement right then. I've had two crowns done and the entire process happens in one visit, over the course of maybe 3 hours. The machine is like a reverse digital printer, it takes a piece of material that looks like a sugar cube (which has been color matched to the surrounding teeth) and carves it into the digital model. There's no "oops it doesn't fit". They do implants with somewhat the same process, although there's bone grafting and whatnot that has to happen on prior visits first. But the actual implant is made on-site, "while u wait".

I imagine over the next ten years, more and more dentist offices will buy this stuff. It's streamlined their procedures amazingly. I sent my dad there when he needed a tooth crowned recently and he said "It's like I stepped twenty years into the future".

Jul 31, 2020, 13:32
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2020, 13:32
Jul 31, 2020, 13:32
 Cutter

Researchers recently discovered this unusual twist to the cicada's already horrific zombification story. As the parasitic fungus called Massospora eats away at a cicada's abdomen, replacing it with a mass of yellow spores, the fungus also compels males to flick their wings in movements that are typically performed by females to attract mates.

Now how in the fucking fuck does it know to do that in order to lure in other cicadas?!
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older