Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR

In a post to Xbox Wire, Microsoft reveals the new edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator will launch on Steam on August 18th with TrackIR support. They also say they will be fulfilling the request for virtual reality support with a free update later this year to support the upcoming HP Reverb G2 headset. Here's the flight plan:
In addition to availability on Windows 10 and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Xbox Game Pass for PC is currently in Beta), Microsoft Flight Simulator will also be coming to Steam on August 18. We are thrilled to announce that Steam pre-orders for the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium Deluxe editions of Microsoft Flight Simulator start today!

Listening to the community has been a priority for the development team since the announcement of Microsoft Flight Simulator in June 2019. Two of the most requested features we’ve been hearing about from the Community are TrackIR and VR support. Today we are excited to announce that Microsoft Flight Simulator will have TrackIR support available on day one, and VR support will be available later this year in time for the launch of the HP Reverb G2!
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR
Aug 1, 2020, 15:34
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Aug 1, 2020, 15:34
Aug 1, 2020, 15:34

Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2020, 14:29:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2020, 15:24:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 19:45:
Thanks all for the suggestions...Arma III looks like it's the closest to what I'm looking for.

I think the bottom line though... is I'm not all that into VR, but a modern F-22 TAW type of game would probably be enough for me to invest in VR... and other accessories... Throttle, rudders, etc.

I still have my CH Flight Stick, though. Still the best Joystick for Flight Sims ever made.

I bought a USB CH Flightstick a year ago. I can't get it working though in Win 10. Have you used yours lately?

I have a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. Best joystick I bought. It worked on Windows 7 and has full Windows 10 support.

I have that one too, but was really looking forward to using my CH too.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 1, 2020, 14:29
Kxmode

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Aug 1, 2020, 14:29
Aug 1, 2020, 14:29
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2020, 15:24:
Thanks all for the suggestions...Arma III looks like it's the closest to what I'm looking for.

I think the bottom line though... is I'm not all that into VR, but a modern F-22 TAW type of game would probably be enough for me to invest in VR... and other accessories... Throttle, rudders, etc.

I still have my CH Flight Stick, though. Still the best Joystick for Flight Sims ever made.

I bought a USB CH Flightstick a year ago. I can't get it working though in Win 10. Have you used yours lately?

I have a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. Best joystick I bought. It worked on Windows 7 and has full Windows 10 support.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 31, 2020, 15:24
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 31, 2020, 15:24
Jul 31, 2020, 15:24

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 31, 2020, 07:21
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 31, 2020, 07:21
Jul 31, 2020, 07:21

So I may have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend *cough cough nudge nudge wink wink*

That the graphics ARE great. And the game is smooth as well. This isn't like Flight Sim X where you'll never get 30+ fps unless you're throwing some sort of Crysis level mega computer at it.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Jul 31, 2020, 00:17
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 31, 2020, 00:17
Jul 31, 2020, 00:17

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 16:43:
Slick wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 16:35:
Anyone thinking of picking up the HP Reverb G2?

I think that's the real story here, that Valve is working with the fucking printer people to make the Launch headset.

HP has already made VR headsets, so this won't be their first go at the rodeo.

I want a G2, the specs are a proper jump up.

Buuuut, running G2 native res is 30% more bandwidth than an Index. Current CPU+GPU models cannot achieve smooth operation at High image quality, without crazy optimizations.

Pimax is now promoting eye tracking for its top headsets, because rendering the full image is just wasting power when pur eyes only focus on small points.

Jul 30, 2020, 21:14
RaZ0r!

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 21:14
Jul 30, 2020, 21:14
 RaZ0r!

Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 16:22:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:39:
I'm going to pony up $5 to try it out on Xbox Game Pass for PC. I might pick it up later on Steam if it's good. Actually, I might have enough Bing points for a free month...

You can actually get a month for $1. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

I've already did my $1 month, but I got 3 months with Bing points and 1 additional free month for agreeing to auto-renew after my free four months.Well not completely free since I traded my search history for Bing points.
I pwnz j00!

Jul 30, 2020, 20:19
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 20:19
Jul 30, 2020, 20:19

I just wished they removed all the damned watermarks already...

MS has a real opportunity here to kill the competition if they do a great and optimized VR implementation.

Jul 30, 2020, 20:10
Tom
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 20:10
Jul 30, 2020, 20:10
Tom

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 18:37:
The NDA must have lifted because everyone is streaming it and talking about it with no reservation. Nothing is baseless as of today.
The NDA has only been lifted for media and certain influencers. It's still in place for alpha/beta testers. So yes, there is more information out there, but it's still limited. And nobody has access to a VR build yet, so speculation about what kind of hardware you'll need to run this decently in VR or how "optimized" the engine is really is premature.

Jul 30, 2020, 19:45
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:45
Jul 30, 2020, 19:45

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jul 30, 2020, 19:39
Kxmode

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:39
Jul 30, 2020, 19:39
 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 19:28:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 19:04:
Rigs wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 17:33:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:11:
I want a modern American Plane Combat sim. F-35 or F-22.

And I mean Sim... not arcade like Ace Combat or HAWX.

A remake of DiD's F-22 Total Air War would be awesome.... I'd consider buying a VR rig for that.

Dammit, you just >had< to bring up F-22 TAW, didn't you?! Gah! Now I'm gonna have to go lose a Saturday afternoon playing a campaign...where'd I put that textbook...I mean, manual?...

It looks like you're having a proper e-flashback. Just remember, too much Mountain Dew may induce a coma!

Well, then, you're all in my caffeine-induced fever dream cause I drink a two litre a day!

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
Jul 30, 2020, 19:28
 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 19:04:

A remake of DiD's F-22 Total Air War would be awesome.... I'd consider buying a VR rig for that.

Dammit, you just >had< to bring up F-22 TAW, didn't you?! Gah! Now I'm gonna have to go lose a Saturday afternoon playing a campaign...where'd I put that textbook...I mean, manual?...

It looks like you're having a proper e-flashback. Just remember, too much Mountain Dew may induce a coma!

Well, then, you're all in my caffeine-induced fever dream cause I drink a two litre a day!

Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
Jul 30, 2020, 19:26
 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 18:39:
Sims became exponentially more expensive to make, right as the sim market was shrinking. So it wasn't feasible to make them anymore, excepting a few niche products. There's a reason this is the first MS flight sim in 14 years.

*citation needed

Half of me wants to agree but I find it hard to believe that it wasn't as costly or even more when they were trying to squeeze an entire F-16, Desert Storm campaign and multiplayer into a sim that was distributed on 3.5" floppies. I specifically recall Strike Commander being the vaporware champ for several years because of the difficulties in development and that wasn't even a full-fledged sim! In fact, I read an old article not too long ago during the development of EA's Birds of Prey (going WAY back for this one, boys! Get your hi-tops on!), or maybe it was F-16 Interceptor? I dunno, one of the two, and the dev team was reconsidering how much fidelity to give the sim due to cost and time. Yes, today's sims are a bit more physically detailed and definitely much more graphically detailed but I think it all scales, to be honest. I really feel there's other reasons why hardcore flight sims fell out of favor after the late 90's. I just don't know what that reason actually IS yet...

I mean, I can certainly speculate for another 5000 words, if you wish...

=-Rigs-=

Jul 30, 2020, 19:04
Kxmode

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 19:04
Jul 30, 2020, 19:04
 Kxmode

Jul 30, 2020, 18:39
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 18:39
Jul 30, 2020, 18:39

Really, I don't think anything quite reaches DCS when it comes to combat flight sims and they're easily played in VR. I was just watching a vid a couple weeks ago of a DCS A-10 mission in VR with strafing runs and the whole bit. Dude got his starboard engine shredded from a close SAM hit and still brought it home...

However, nothing out today is ever going to touch the shear balls-to-the-wall energy of the early-mid 90's combat flight sim run. It was like a competition to see who could put out the most detailed and playable flight sim of your plane of choice and still get it to run on a 486DX2/66. It's such a shame that with all the modern horsepower we have in cpu's these days, the ambition has all but disappeared from the mainstream. The new Flight Simulator is definitely a great new step in the right direction but it seems to be the only one. I remember day dreaming back in my 486 days what a sim would be like in 2020 or even 2000. Sadly, even this new MSFS doesn't compare to that. This industry seriously dropped the ball when it came to it's birthright. Maybe this is the first step in a journey to change it?

=-Rigs-=

Sims became exponentially more expensive to make, right as the sim market was shrinking. So it wasn't feasible to make them anymore, excepting a few niche products. There's a reason this is the first MS flight sim in 14 years.

Jul 30, 2020, 18:37
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 18:37
Jul 30, 2020, 18:37

Tom wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 14:57:
You'll hear more from hardcore sim fans once the alpha/beta NDA expires and the thing is released.

Until then, take everything with a grain of salt. There's an awful lot of baseless conjecture going around.

I will say, the community dodged a bullet with this getting released on Steam. The Microsoft Store is just awful.
The NDA must have lifted because everyone is streaming it and talking about it with no reservation. Nothing is baseless as of today.

Jul 30, 2020, 18:20
Slick

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 18:20
Jul 30, 2020, 18:20
 Slick

Tom wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 17:03:
Yeah I'll be upgrading from a day 1 Reverb to the G2. I mainly want the better lenses and adjustable IPD. The thinner cable and better audio would be nice too.

Hey, HP is a big company. They don't just make crappy laptops and printers. Their VR team is actually pretty decent, even if it's taken them a couple of iterations to get to where things need to be. Most importantly, they're the only ones in the industry who dared to go high-res, with the exception of a certain fly-by-night operation I won't name.

Starbreeze? That's the only one I've heard of. Never heard of the Reverb before today. I'm all for other players in the space, I just want a company to do what the Quest does without Facebook backing it. It's how VR has to be IMO, having had a gen 2 oculus rift (pre-facebook) and vive, the quest's total wireless mode is the real game-changer for VR to catch on. No setup, no anything, you just slap it on your face and you're in the game. There's so much friction in just about every other VR setup that stops me from going back, from the cords, to the bulky headset, I can't stand it. Give me stand-along ski-goggles and we're talking. Smaller, lighter, easier, that's once step closer to the Oasis.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
Rigs

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
Jul 30, 2020, 17:33
 Rigs

Really, I don't think anything quite reaches DCS when it comes to combat flight sims and they're easily played in VR. I was just watching a vid a couple weeks ago of a DCS A-10 mission in VR with strafing runs and the whole bit. Dude got his starboard engine shredded from a close SAM hit and still brought it home...

However, nothing out today is ever going to touch the shear balls-to-the-wall energy of the early-mid 90's combat flight sim run. It was like a competition to see who could put out the most detailed and playable flight sim of your plane of choice and still get it to run on a 486DX2/66. It's such a shame that with all the modern horsepower we have in cpu's these days, the ambition has all but disappeared from the mainstream. The new Flight Simulator is definitely a great new step in the right direction but it seems to be the only one. I remember day dreaming back in my 486 days what a sim would be like in 2020 or even 2000. Sadly, even this new MSFS doesn't compare to that. This industry seriously dropped the ball when it came to it's birthright. Maybe this is the first step in a journey to change it?

=-Rigs-=

Jul 30, 2020, 17:31
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 17:31
Jul 30, 2020, 17:31

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:59:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 15:50:
Watched Digital Foundry's gameplay preview video... Damned if this game isn't a terrorist's wet dream to train for an attack.

Accurate city buildings, real-time live airplane traffic from the real world.

Other than that, I'll prolly try it on game pass on my old stick, looks like it'll be fun for a few hours at least.

Many technologies are dual-use or multi-use.

Indeed, not arguing otherwise.

Jul 30, 2020, 17:03
Tom
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 17:03
Jul 30, 2020, 17:03
Tom

Yeah I'll be upgrading from a day 1 Reverb to the G2. I mainly want the better lenses and adjustable IPD. The thinner cable and better audio would be nice too.

Hey, HP is a big company. They don't just make crappy laptops and printers. Their VR team is actually pretty decent, even if it's taken them a couple of iterations to get to where things need to be. Most importantly, they're the only ones in the industry who dared to go high-res, with the exception of a certain fly-by-night operation I won't name.

Jul 30, 2020, 16:43
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Coming to Steam, Getting VR Jul 30, 2020, 16:43
Jul 30, 2020, 16:43

Slick wrote on Jul 30, 2020, 16:35:
Anyone thinking of picking up the HP Reverb G2?

I think that's the real story here, that Valve is working with the fucking printer people to make the Launch headset.

HP has already made VR headsets, so this won't be their first go at the rodeo.
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older