Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P

Psyonix announces that Rocket League will go free-to-play this summer when it launches on the Epic Games Store. The move to a new storefront became an inevitability when Epic acquired Psyonix last year, but the switch in business models is unexpected. After the Epic Games Store launch the motorized sports game will no longer be offered to new players on Steam, but will still be playable (with cross-platform support) there. They also announce that those who've actually purchased the game will be granted Legacy status, which comes with some perks. Here are the details:
After nearly five years, millions of players, and billions of soccar matches played, it's time to talk about the next chapter of Rocket League. The game wouldn't be where it is today without our dedicated and amazing community. Today, we're excited to announce that we're gearing up to make that community even bigger. Beginning later this summer, Rocket League is going free to play!

What does this mean for the Rocket League gameplay you know and love? The core gameplay will remain the same, but we are refining the main menus to make exploring the game easier. Plus, we’re revamping and improving major features like Tournaments and Challenges, and introducing cross-platform progression! Rocket League action on the field will still be the same core, high-octane hybrid of sports and action you love today, and soon, even more players will share that love. That begins with Rocket League's release on its newest platform: the Epic Games Store.

Rocket League will release on the Epic Games Store on PC the same time it goes free to play. This version of the game will be identical to the version found on other platforms, and will feature cross-platform play anywhere you play Rocket League, including between the Epic Games Store and Steam.

Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

Anyone who has played Rocket League online before the launch of free to play will be rewarded with Legacy status, which includes:

• All Rocket League-branded DLC released before free to play
  • "Est. 20XX" title that displays the first year you played Rocket League
  • 200+ Common items upgraded to "Legacy" quality
  • Golden Cosmos Boost
  • Dieci-Oro Wheels
  • Huntress Player Banner

In addition, if you've played online before this announcement, you will also receive the Faded Cosmos Boost. Legacy rewards will be granted once the free to play version launches later this summer. Check out the items in the slideshow below!

You may be wondering what will happen to the hard-earned inventory that you've unlocked over the years. Don’t worry, it will still be available to you when free to play goes live! Plus we’re introducing cross-platform progression with free to play, and you'll be able to bring items, Rocket Pass progress, and your Competitive Rank to every platform where you play Rocket League, thanks to an Epic Games Account. There's a lot more to share about that, so stay tuned in the coming months.

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P
Jul 22, 2020, 14:36
Kxmode

Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 14:36
Jul 22, 2020, 14:36
 Kxmode

So Tim tweets about "universal ownership" only a day after this. Your "dedicated and amazing community" has plenty of words on the Steam forums; most not positive. Tim is a hypocrite. The actions of his company speak LOUDLY for all to see.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 22, 2020, 14:16
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 14:16
Jul 22, 2020, 14:16

I quit playing in February for several reasons, one being because the servers went to shit. I used to be able queue on both US-East and US-West, and would get a game in just a few seconds. Sometime last year they changed server hosts and my pings went from 15-20 on US-East and 30-40 on US-West to 50+ on US-East and 80+ on US-West, so I had to queue in US-East only, and queue times were several minutes even if I queued both East and West.

I don't know what changed earlier this year, but the majority of games I was getting, the server health warning was flashing on screen, every player had a high ping, which flashes red indicating packet loss. They even had to re-schedule a major RLCS event because of server issues. I never understood the point of the server reporting it's health status to players and requiring players to report the server problem in-game. If the servers are self-aware of a problem, it should restart itself, or take itself offline and report the problem to the admins. If they haven't fixed these problems and added more servers, and going F2P brings an expect an influx of new players when it goes F2P, have fun with that. Out of curiosity, I may fire it up and see how it is after it goes F2P.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Jul 22, 2020, 11:55
Jivaro

Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 11:55
Jul 22, 2020, 11:55
 Jivaro

chickenboo wrote on Jul 22, 2020, 11:50:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 22, 2020, 06:38:
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I liked playing this game when it came out. After they dropped Linux support, though, I became less interested. This is just another nail.
It's rated platinum on ProtonDB: https://www.protondb.com/app/252950
It's not native anymore, but even if you buy it from EGS, you could still load it through Steam as a non-Steam game using Proton, or you could load it with Lutris?

*insert Chappelle "Modern problems require modern solutions" meme here*

Jul 22, 2020, 11:50
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 11:50
Jul 22, 2020, 11:50

yuastnav wrote on Jul 22, 2020, 06:38:
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I liked playing this game when it came out. After they dropped Linux support, though, I became less interested. This is just another nail.
It's rated platinum on ProtonDB: https://www.protondb.com/app/252950
It's not native anymore, but even if you buy it from EGS, you could still load it through Steam as a non-Steam game using Proton, or you could load it with Lutris?

Jul 22, 2020, 11:27
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 11:27
Jul 22, 2020, 11:27

No shame anymore...Ever since they went with lootboxes and blueprints (which is nearly the same) I gave up on the game and this is not going to help me make peace with them. So long, it was fun at the beginning.

Jul 22, 2020, 10:28
Verno

Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 10:28
Jul 22, 2020, 10:28
 Verno

I had a lot of fun playing this but eventually you hit a skill ceiling that is absolutely grueling to improve and I don't want to just play one game forever which is pretty much what is required.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jul 22, 2020, 10:14
Tom
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 10:14
Jul 22, 2020, 10:14
Tom

It may not be dead yet but moves like this do not bode well for its future.

It's the traditional acquire -> destroy pattern.

Jul 22, 2020, 09:47
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 09:47
Jul 22, 2020, 09:47

theglaze wrote on Jul 22, 2020, 09:41:
I'm not sure why you guys think this game is "dead"... it's ALWAYS been in the Steam top 20 for daily peak player count, 5 years running. Heck, it's usually the #1 game played with a controller (unless you count GTAV)

Nothing else has come close to it's gameplay style, and F2P on EGS will create a resurgence of player interest.

The epitome of easy to learn, difficult to master.

It's currently #17 on Steam, and #13 on the day, per Steam Stats.
But you know this place, haha. Call something they like "dead" and they're furious, no matter how rapidly sales are falling, but anything they dislike is definitely safe to call "dead," even if it's a top seller holding strong.

Jul 22, 2020, 09:41
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 09:41
Jul 22, 2020, 09:41

I'm not sure why you guys think this game is "dead"... it's ALWAYS been in the Steam top 20 for daily peak player count, 5 years running. Heck, it's usually the #1 game played with a controller (unless you count GTAV)

Nothing else has come close to it's gameplay style, and F2P on EGS will create a resurgence of player interest.

The epitome of easy to learn, difficult to master.

Jul 22, 2020, 09:26
Tom
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 09:26
Jul 22, 2020, 09:26
Tom

RIP

It was fun in its heyday.

Jul 22, 2020, 07:54
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 07:54
Jul 22, 2020, 07:54

I didn't even realize Rocket League was still *a thing*.

Jul 22, 2020, 06:38
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 22, 2020, 06:38
Jul 22, 2020, 06:38

Jul 21, 2020, 20:49
Re: Rocket League Leaving Steam for Epic Games Store; Going F2P Jul 21, 2020, 20:49
Jul 21, 2020, 20:49

I recommend for newbs; the first 25 hours of learning are a lot of fun and it matches you up very well with similarly skilled opponents.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long to become F2P... because the cosmetics in this game have had a momentum for a long time.
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older