Out of the Blue

Happy National Tattoo Day! Tattoos, of course, long ago graduated to the mainstream after once being the sole province of sailors, bikers, and criminals. Nowadays there are grandmothers with tats in places they can't show you. I, however, remain ink-free. I'm not actually anti-tattoo, I'm just not sure I feel strongly enough about anything to make that commitment. The New York Giants logo? Or the QUAKE logo? I dunno, maybe some day.

Obituary: Rev. C.T. Vivian, civil rights veteran who worked alongside MLK, dies at 95.

Inked Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science
Thanks RedEye9.

Media

Auction

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
172 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 14, 2020, 08:30
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2020, 08:30
Aug 14, 2020, 08:30

If you think natural herd immunity will protect us before a vaccine will, think again. Herd immunity is reached when around 70% to 90% of a population becomes immune to a disease, and Dr. Anthony Fauci says letting this virus reach those thresholds would lead to massive death tolls. Things are already looking bad as they are: The CDC now projects nearly 189,000 US coronavirus deaths by September 5; the current US death toll is around 167,000.

Aug 10, 2020, 12:59
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2020, 12:59
Aug 10, 2020, 12:59

Aug 10, 2020, 10:25
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2020, 10:25
Aug 10, 2020, 10:25

Aug 9, 2020, 11:04
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2020, 11:04
Aug 9, 2020, 11:04

This CEO has flown 33 times and spent 160 nights away this year. Here’s his safety routine
Aug 8, 2020, 17:15
This CEO has flown 33 times and spent 160 nights away this year. Here’s his safety routine Aug 8, 2020, 17:15
Aug 8, 2020, 17:15

This CEO has flown 33 times and spent 160 nights away this year. Here’s his safety routine
The kicker: This routine isn’t new
Manninen said he developed this routine over a decade ago to avoid the common flu, which sickened him around five times a year due to his travel schedule.

My guess is he spends $500 to $1000 in time, cleaning materials and PPE every year.
Small price to pay to be healthy, especially considering all the travel.

Aug 6, 2020, 15:41
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2020, 15:41
Aug 6, 2020, 15:41

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 5, 2020, 19:45:
An estimated 675,000 nationwide deaths in 1918. I sure hope we don't beat our own record...
We'll get halfway there according to the latest predictions.
As it stands we're almost a quarter of the way to 1918's death count.

Aug 5, 2020, 20:02
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2020, 20:02
Aug 5, 2020, 20:02

Facebook removes trump post falsely claiming children are 'almost immune' to Covid-19
Several studies suggest, but don’t prove, that children are less likely to become infected than adults and more likely to have only mild symptoms. But this is not the same as being “virtually immune” to the virus.

Aug 5, 2020, 19:45
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2020, 19:45
Aug 5, 2020, 19:45

An estimated 675,000 nationwide deaths in 1918. I sure hope we don't beat our own record...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 5, 2020, 19:05
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2020, 19:05
Aug 5, 2020, 19:05

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2020, 09:42:
Glad to know some amuricans are as ignorant today as they were one hundred years ago.

"The Mask Slackers of 1918"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html
Or
http://archive.today/FiaA0

Then, as know, the masks were political. But not like today's special breed of ignorati politicalus.

But Walt says this has never happened before and it's all a scam. Who am I to believe, literal actual history or some guy on a message board?

Aug 4, 2020, 09:42
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2020, 09:42
Aug 4, 2020, 09:42

Glad to know some amuricans are as ignorant today as they were one hundred years ago.

"The Mask Slackers of 1918"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html
Or
http://archive.today/FiaA0

Then, as know, the masks were political. But not like today's special breed of ignorati politicalus.

Aug 1, 2020, 09:15
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2020, 09:15
Aug 1, 2020, 09:15

Public Health Expert Calls To Repair Distrust In A COVID-19 Vaccine

More than a month into a resurgence of the novel coronavirus that has besieged Sun Belt states, flooded hospitals and strained public-health infrastructure, the U.S. still lacks a complete picture of the reality on the ground. That’s because the U.S. doesn’t have ANY real-time system to track the virus’s spread. At times, even the federal government has had to rely on third-party databases.
“Prognosis” The Data Disaster in the U.S. - Bloomberg
The above should terrify any human that reads it.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2020, 09:52.

Jul 30, 2020, 15:22
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2020, 15:22
Jul 30, 2020, 15:22

Recommendations to avoid the contagion continue to evolve as our knowledge increases.

Both Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert and Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator recommend Wearing Goggles or Eye Shields to Protect against Covid 19.

Jul 29, 2020, 16:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2020, 16:26
Jul 29, 2020, 16:26

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2020, 15:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2020, 23:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2020, 22:48:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 28, 2020, 19:01:
So you only take health precautions if you've been doing it your entire life? You're not open to new information? You're unable to respond to emerging threats?

Duke, there were only 12 deaths in the Aurora Batman mass shooting. Even all gun homicides in the USA last year were "only" 14,000. There have been 150,000 CV19 deaths in the USA. Your chance of dying in a shooting is an order of magnitude lower than dying from this disease.

If you believed that your body could withstand the impact of a bullet, you wouldn't be afraid of getting shot, would you? You believe your body can withstand CV19, which is why you take no precautions. In fact, you believe exposure provides training for your immune system and makes it stronger. I still don't understand why you haven't been to a COVID party yet and gotten it over with.

I.
Mr. Poonawalla is rich, but he's had 54 years to build a fortune from a company he started in 1966. However, his company only has an annual revenue of $595M. The revenue of the pharmaceutical industry worldwide is 1.25 trillion. As a part of the industry, his share is 0.05%. The point is that there's very little money to be made in vaccines. He got rich the hard way, for sure. And being rich doesn't necessarily mean that he's corrupt, or that the vaccine industry is corrupt.

Well, we agree that prevention of disease through proper diet, exercise, etc. should be the first steps people take. It's unfortunate you're so anti-vaccine, as this aids in prevention with almost no downside. So much easier and cheaper to have a $5 vaccine than it is to get chicken pox, measles, etc. and miss two weeks of school or work and risk death.

As for the "vaccine industry" being corrupt, please provide reading material. Simply saying "they're corrupt because people need a vaccine every year!" is ridiculous. Most vaccines are not annual, and the annual ones have good cause: flu vaccines are highly mutable, and a new one emerges every year that requires a new vaccines. That said, researches are close to a universal flu vaccine that would put an end to the annual ones. If the annual flu vaccine were discontinued, would you feel better?
And yes, the pharmaceutical industry is pretty corrupt in general. What's interesting is that the ways in which they're corrupt don't really apply to vaccines, since they don't have ancillary uses.
Lastly, if you're worried about an annual vaccine as "evidence" of corruption, you should look at diabetes and heart disease meds. These are meds that are required daily, and wouldn't be needed at all if people ate right and exercised. Big pharma lobbied the government to ease ad restrictions so they can now advertise directly to patients, the pay for doctors to sell the drugs for them instead of focusing on preventative measures, etc.
JD
You are being trolled by somebody with no medical training and no ability to think logically. It links to quack medical advice and other dangerous nonsense.

You do know you're wasting your time, right.

It's a good mental exercise.
Understood
And we all appreciate it and everyone here learns something new every time you post (except that "one" person who's incapable of learning). Wink

Jul 29, 2020, 15:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2020, 15:31
Jul 29, 2020, 15:31

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2020, 23:55:
So you only take health precautions if you've been doing it your entire life? You're not open to new information? You're unable to respond to emerging threats?

Duke, there were only 12 deaths in the Aurora Batman mass shooting. Even all gun homicides in the USA last year were "only" 14,000. There have been 150,000 CV19 deaths in the USA. Your chance of dying in a shooting is an order of magnitude lower than dying from this disease.

If you believed that your body could withstand the impact of a bullet, you wouldn't be afraid of getting shot, would you? You believe your body can withstand CV19, which is why you take no precautions. In fact, you believe exposure provides training for your immune system and makes it stronger. I still don't understand why you haven't been to a COVID party yet and gotten it over with.

I.
Mr. Poonawalla is rich, but he's had 54 years to build a fortune from a company he started in 1966. However, his company only has an annual revenue of $595M. The revenue of the pharmaceutical industry worldwide is 1.25 trillion. As a part of the industry, his share is 0.05%. The point is that there's very little money to be made in vaccines. He got rich the hard way, for sure. And being rich doesn't necessarily mean that he's corrupt, or that the vaccine industry is corrupt.

Well, we agree that prevention of disease through proper diet, exercise, etc. should be the first steps people take. It's unfortunate you're so anti-vaccine, as this aids in prevention with almost no downside. So much easier and cheaper to have a $5 vaccine than it is to get chicken pox, measles, etc. and miss two weeks of school or work and risk death.

As for the "vaccine industry" being corrupt, please provide reading material. Simply saying "they're corrupt because people need a vaccine every year!" is ridiculous. Most vaccines are not annual, and the annual ones have good cause: flu vaccines are highly mutable, and a new one emerges every year that requires a new vaccines. That said, researches are close to a universal flu vaccine that would put an end to the annual ones. If the annual flu vaccine were discontinued, would you feel better?
And yes, the pharmaceutical industry is pretty corrupt in general. What's interesting is that the ways in which they're corrupt don't really apply to vaccines, since they don't have ancillary uses.
Lastly, if you're worried about an annual vaccine as "evidence" of corruption, you should look at diabetes and heart disease meds. These are meds that are required daily, and wouldn't be needed at all if people ate right and exercised. Big pharma lobbied the government to ease ad restrictions so they can now advertise directly to patients, the pay for doctors to sell the drugs for them instead of focusing on preventative measures, etc.
JD
You are being trolled by somebody with no medical training and no ability to think logically. It links to quack medical advice and other dangerous nonsense.

It's a good mental exercise.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jul 28, 2020, 23:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2020, 23:55
Jul 28, 2020, 23:55

I.

JD

Jul 28, 2020, 22:48
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2020, 22:48
Jul 28, 2020, 22:48

I've been washing my hands all my life after using the restroom. I haven't been wearing masks for years to keep myself from being killed by a 2020 virus OR any other deadly virus over the past 20 years.

Thank You for pointing out the CFR and how ridiculously low it is. I probably have a better chance of getting shot dead in a theater watching a Batman movie than dying of COVID-19.

You keep making yourself look silly by asking the same question over and over. I'll try one more time. If I was really afraid I'd be wearing masks and signing up for untested vaccine trials like "other people" are doing. I don't have a fear of guns either. So, should I play Russian Roulette with a loaded gun? With only 1 loaded bullet my chances of dying are only .167. Yeah, let me run out and do that now. *face palm*.

I say vaccine's produce billionaires and you respond with no money in Big Pharma. Bizarre. The term "non-sequitur" comes to mind. Rolleyes Here, let me post the link again to a billionaire who got to billionaire status by (*gasp*) producing vaccines. See #7 on the list, Cyrus Poonawalla and learn from it.
The Richest Healthcare Billionaires

I'm sure Big Pharma do push drugs more than people need. But that's not necessarily a corruption. If people want to take these drugs instead of eating healthy, not smoking, getting good exercise and sunshine that's their choice. The corruption in vaccines is that the lie that everybody needs to be vaccinated every year for any new virus that has killing potential. That's insanity.

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Jul 28, 2020, 19:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2020, 19:01
Jul 28, 2020, 19:01

I've been washing my hands all my life after using the restroom. I haven't been wearing masks for years to keep myself from being killed by a 2020 virus OR any other deadly virus over the past 20 years. Thank You for pointing out the CFR and how ridiculously low it is. I probably have a better chance of getting shot dead in a theater watching a Batman movie than dying of COVID-19. You keep making yourself look silly by asking the same question over and over. I'll try one more time. If I was really afraid I'd be wearing masks and signing up for untested vaccine trials like "other people" are doing. I don't have a fear of guns either. So, should I play Russian Roulette with a loaded gun? With only 1 loaded bullet my chances of dying are only .167. Yeah, let me run out and do that now. *face palm*.

I say vaccine's produce billionaires and you respond with no money in Big Pharma. Bizarre. The term "non-sequitur" comes to mind. Rolleyes Here, let me post the link again to a billionaire who got to billionaire status by (*gasp*) producing vaccines. See #7 on the list, Cyrus Poonawalla and learn from it.
The Richest Healthcare Billionaires

I'm sure Big Pharma do push drugs more than people need. But that's not necessarily a corruption. If people want to take these drugs instead of eating healthy, not smoking, getting good exercise and sunshine that's their choice. The corruption in vaccines is that the lie that everybody needs to be vaccinated every year for any new virus that has killing potential. That's insanity.
172 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older