Ubisoft Announces More Departures

With the Ubisoft Forward presentation getting underway, this tweet clarifies that the allegations of sexual misconduct at the company will not be addressed during the pre-recorded show. However, they do announce more departures and further plans for changes resulting from the scandal. Word is Serge Hascoët, Yannis Mallat, and Cécile Cornet are all no longer with Ubisoft. Here's the latest:
Today, Ubisoft announced several significant personnel changes that are a part of the comprehensive work the Company is doing to improve and strengthen its workplace culture. These departures come following the initiation of a rigorous review that the Company initiated in response to recent allegations and accusations of misconduct and inappropriate behavior.

Serge Hascoët has chosen to resign from his position as Chief Creative Officer, effective immediately. This role will be taken by Yves Guillemot, CEO and Co-Founder of Ubisoft, in the interim. During this time, Mr. Guillemot will personally oversee a complete overhaul of the way in which the creative teams collaborate.

Yannis Mallat, Managing Director of Ubisoft’s Canadian studios, will be stepping down from his role and will leave the Company, effective immediately. The recent allegations that have come to light in Canada against multiple employees make it impossible for him to continue in this position.

Additionally, Ubisoft will be appointing a new Global Head of HR to replace Cécile Cornet, who has decided to step down from this role, as she believes it is in the best interest of the Company’s unity. A search for her replacement will begin immediately, led by an industry-leading recruiting firm. In parallel, the Company is restructuring and strengthening its HR function in order to adapt it to the new challenges of the video game industry. Ubisoft is in the final steps of hiring a top international management consulting firm to audit and reshape its HR procedures and policies, as previously announced.

These changes are part of a comprehensive set of initiatives announced to employees on July 2, 2020. These initiatives are guiding Ubisoft’s renewed commitment to fostering an environment that its employees, partners and communities can be proud of – one that reflects Ubisoft’s values and that is safe for everyone.

“Ubisoft has fallen short in its obligation to guarantee a safe and inclusive workplace environment for its employees. This is unacceptable, as toxic behaviors are in direct contrast to values on which I have never compromised — and never will. I am committed to implementing profound changes across the Company to improve and strengthen our workplace culture,” said Yves Guillemot, CEO and Co-Founder of Ubisoft. “Moving forward, as we collectively embark on a path leading to a better Ubisoft, it is my expectation that leaders across the Company manage their teams with the utmost respect. I also expect them to work to drive the change we need, always thinking of what is best for Ubisoft and all its employees.”
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures
Jul 13, 2020, 11:19
Jivaro

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 13, 2020, 11:19
Jul 13, 2020, 11:19
 Jivaro

I find the urge to defend these people that some folks have, despite having no information that is different from anyone else's, to be the most interesting aspect of all of this. I mean, I don't know who did what either but that doesn't make me leap to defend anyone. The confusion between what the state can do and what a company can do and what a foreign company can do is also interesting. Sometimes I think many of us confuse how we think things should be done with how they are actually done. That is really a problem when we don't understand how they are actually done in the first place.

Jul 13, 2020, 02:25
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 13, 2020, 02:25
Jul 13, 2020, 02:25

What I basically meant with my first comment, is let us wait and see until we have as much detail about this situation as possible. Maybe it was a Ubi-purge for some shady reason, maybe it was scumbags getting sacked. This article or these articles will see the light of day. 100%. Before that, all of us know as much as the yellow texts of Blues say. Maybe a sliver more with a Google search but that's it.

Hold yer horses. Leave the pitchforks and torches at home, and abstain from calling the sacked victims just yet.

Jul 13, 2020, 00:49
Dev

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 13, 2020, 00:49
Jul 13, 2020, 00:49
 Dev

Teddy wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 23:31:
MrBone wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 22:36:
Interesting how some posters believe in guilty until proven guilty in regards to these cases. Perhaps someone should blanket accuse some of you. That would be grand.

See, the thing about that is, a company doesn't have to follow that. They can decide you're guilty based on accusations, or they can decide it's not worth the hassle or negative PR of waiting for a longer investigation. You do not have a right of presumed innocence when it comes to your employment. That only applies in court. If these people felt themselves wronged, they can take the company to court for slander and see what happens. Of course that drags all the evidence that the company has against them out into the open during a trial. Up to them if they truly believe they've done nothing wrong.

Now of course is the time when someone will try to cry "wrongful dismissal" which is a load of nonsense unless you were dismissed under discriminatory circumstances (and no, these don't apply).

Although you are correct largely in the US, things can change that, like contracts, or if they aren't in an at will state, or want to sue claiming a protected reason.

Also about being innocent, when you start getting rid of executives like this, especially more than one, it's extremely likely that there's some legit basis to the accusations. It's not just a one off accusation. There's a pattern for this to happen. If this was just to throw someone to baseless claims of the wolves of social media, they could have picked one particular guy and gotten rid of him as a scapegoat, and claimed they fixed everything. It's also not just picking a bunch of people who they want to save money so they can hire replacement college grads, that happens with peons, not executives. If this was a bunch of people getting unjustly tossed because of politics or something, there's be much more discussions, people defending themselves in interviews and social media, people wouldn't be going quietly into the night. Executives aren't involved in trying to unionize, so it's not that either. No, there was enough there to hire investigators. This is the behavior you'd see with a bunch of NDAs, like you get gone, stay quiet, here's a bunch of money, and we won't further pursue this stuff against you kinda thing.

Like can anyone think of a legit scenario with this kinda behavior of getting rid of multiple executives and others in a single company with a short time span where there wasn't something that had basis to it? One where no one involved is talking or going into details trying to defend themselves? Something where the CEO and cofounder himself comes forward and essentially calls HIS OWN WORKPLACE unsafe, noninclusive, not respecting people and having toxic behavior? You don't do that if there's zero basis. No, most companies would be more defending, saying it they were going to have new policies, or maybe it was one bad apple, not talking bad about their own company. That's incredibly demoralizing to a company's morale if it's not true. That's a good way to tank your stock if it's not true.

Jul 12, 2020, 23:31
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 23:31
Jul 12, 2020, 23:31

MrBone wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 22:36:
Interesting how some posters believe in guilty until proven guilty in regards to these cases. Perhaps someone should blanket accuse some of you. That would be grand.

See, the thing about that is, a company doesn't have to follow that. They can decide you're guilty based on accusations, or they can decide it's not worth the hassle or negative PR of waiting for a longer investigation. You do not have a right of presumed innocence when it comes to your employment. That only applies in court. If these people felt themselves wronged, they can take the company to court for slander and see what happens. Of course that drags all the evidence that the company has against them out into the open during a trial. Up to them if they truly believe they've done nothing wrong.

Now of course is the time when someone will try to cry "wrongful dismissal" which is a load of nonsense unless you were dismissed under discriminatory circumstances (and no, these don't apply).

Jul 12, 2020, 23:10
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 23:10
Jul 12, 2020, 23:10

It is rather obvious that the people leaving were directly involved in causing the problems and that HR covered it up. I have personally seen issues like this before and the company turned up better without the riffraff. Just no excuse for such actions in this day and age.

Jul 12, 2020, 22:55
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 22:55
Jul 12, 2020, 22:55

It's a beautiful thing seeing all the scum getting shit canned along with the losers that were complicit.
Gotta love it when justice is served up fast and sweet.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jul 12, 2020, 22:36
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 22:36
Jul 12, 2020, 22:36

Jul 12, 2020, 19:13
Cutter

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 19:13
Jul 12, 2020, 19:13
 Cutter

Whatever happened to "the buck stops here"? Oh right, Trump. Well, given that Yves has been responsible for this mess it seems to me he should be the first that the axe falleth upon. He's made his fortune, he'll get his platinum parachute regardless. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end. All this affirmative action bullshit will destroy this company sooner than later. Games by committee where everyone is terrified to put forth a suggestion or idea that will brand them a racist bigot and destroy their life entirely with the ensuing witch hunt. Gee, what could possibly go wrong in an environment like that? Then again, it's more improbable that anything can go right.

“You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”
― George Orwell, 1984
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Jul 12, 2020, 15:59
Dev

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 15:59
Jul 12, 2020, 15:59
 Dev

Quinn wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 15:53:
Dev wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 15:42:
With what seems to be a company wide culture of misconduct, it's highly likely HR knew about it and was protecting the executives who have left so far. Not a surprise that HR is getting cleaned too.

Can't wait for the famous article that will come out later this year, dissecting everything that lead to this. Including evidence, like confessions and what-not. Will be an interesting read!
These kinda people almost never confess. They proclaim innocence regardless of the weight of evidence. Example, rapenstein. I bet each and every one of these execs will have signed an NDA, something where they agree to go quietly without fighting. There will be articles, which will cover evidence, and the investigations, but confessions? No way.

Also, I'm guessing some of these people leaving didn't directly commit the acts. Maybe they purposefully buried stuff, or ignored reports of them, considered them exaggerated. Maybe they honestly didn't know... because they were incompetent in the way that they managed and weren't keeping themselves informed about people they are in charge of.

Jul 12, 2020, 15:53
Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 15:53
Jul 12, 2020, 15:53

Dev wrote on Jul 12, 2020, 15:42:
With what seems to be a company wide culture of misconduct, it's highly likely HR knew about it and was protecting the executives who have left so far. Not a surprise that HR is getting cleaned too.

Can't wait for the famous article that will come out later this year, dissecting everything that lead to this. Including evidence, like confessions and what-not. Will be an interesting read!

Jul 12, 2020, 15:42
Dev

Re: Ubisoft Announces More Departures Jul 12, 2020, 15:42
Jul 12, 2020, 15:42
 Dev

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older