Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft

Maxime Béland has resigned from Ubisoft, where he had served as Vice President Editorial, working on the Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six, and Far Cry franchises. This is reported on Gamasutra where they add that another unnamed individual has been fired from Ubisoft Toronto for "engaging in behaviours that do not align with what is expected of Ubisoft employees." Béland was placed on leave last week following allegations of misconduct. The Gamasutra article offers details, saying there were "a stream of allegations posted on social media accusing the Ubisoft exec of choking a female employee at a Far Cry party and several forms of sexual harassment. Ubisoft was reportedly aware of those allegations but chose not to act." They have an official statement from Ubisoft:
Hi – I’m providing an update following the internal letter sent by Yves Guillemot yesterday, which outlined a series of initiatives aimed at improving the way in which Ubisoft operates.

Maxime Beland, Vice President Editorial, has resigned from his role at Ubisoft, effective immediately. Despite his resignation, we continue to investigate the allegations made against him. Additionally, effective as of yesterday, Tommy François, Vice President Editorial & Creative Services, has been placed on disciplinary leave pending the outcome of an investigation. One other individual in our Toronto studio has been terminated for engaging in behaviors that do not align with what is expected of Ubisoft employees. Other investigations are ongoing and will be conducted rigorously.

Ubisoft will not tolerate workplace misconduct and will continue taking disciplinary actions against anyone who engages in harassment, discrimination and other behaviors that infringe on our Code of Fair Conduct.
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft
Jul 4, 2020, 15:11
Kxmode

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 15:11
Jul 4, 2020, 15:11
 Kxmode

His name reminds me of the meme:

"Terry? That's a girls name! Hahahaha"
You have died from dissin Terry.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 4, 2020, 15:47
Cutter

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 15:47
Jul 4, 2020, 15:47
 Cutter

Ok, maybe this guy is a scumbag, only he and his alleged victims know for certain but if he was canned simply because of social media allegations we're all in very deep trouble. The slippery slope of this sort of mob justice will very quickly lead to "re-education" camps and firing squads. It's even more disturbing that liberals don't care that a person's life can be destroyed by unproven allegations.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Jul 4, 2020, 16:04
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 16:04
Jul 4, 2020, 16:04

Hey guys. Are you tired of reading this kind of stuff on your favourite gaming news website?

Well, here's a script you can use to filter all of it, changing Bluesnews back to a comfortable experience about gaming.

I temporarily turned off my script so that I may enter this topic and post this message for you all.

Again, I use TamperMonkey extension in my browser, Brave (chrome powered), but you may prefer another extension that let's you inject JavaScript onto websites.

Here is the script:

// ==UserScript==
// @name Bluesnews
// @namespace http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version 0.1
// @description try to take over the world!
// @author You
// @match https://www.bluesnews.com/*
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
'use strict';

// Your code here...
setTimeout(function() {
var regexTerms = /(racist|confederate|misconduct|harassment|sexual|assault|sexism)/i;
var regexHeadings = /(Metaverse|Tech Bits|Safety Dance|Legal Briefs|Op Ed|Into the Black|etc\.|Out of the Blue)$/i;
var els = document.querySelectorAll("a");
els.forEach(function(el, idx) {
if (el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings) || el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms)) {
var heading = el.closest(".posting");
if (heading !== null) {
var article = heading.parentNode.parentNode;
if (article !== null) {
article.parentNode.removeChild(article);
}
}
}

if (el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms) || el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings)) {
var li = el.closest("li");
if (li !== null) {
li.parentNode.removeChild(li);
}
else {
el.parentNode.removeChild(el);
}
}
});
els = document.querySelectorAll(".article");
var article = el.parentNode.parentNode;
}
});
},250);
})();

That's it!

If you find any news that still shows up, then pick a word from that and add it to the regexTerms list, separated by |

Jul 4, 2020, 16:32
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 16:32
Jul 4, 2020, 16:32

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 15:47:
The slippery slope of this sort of mob justice will very quickly lead to "re-education" camps and firing squads

Dude, exactly. I read this and I was like tomorrow's article is sure to be Ubisoft Announces Internal HR Gulag, Re-Educational Firing Squad Center for Bad Tweets - Other Company's Consider Adopting. Watch out you don't get microchipped, comrade!

While I do think leaning too far to the left as well as too far to the right is not good, I don't think we're quite there ^ yet.

Jul 4, 2020, 17:31
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 17:31

deqer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 16:04:
Hey guys. Are you tired of reading this kind of stuff on your favourite gaming news website?

Well, here's a script you can use to filter all of it, changing Bluesnews back to a comfortable experience about gaming.

While it's very cool that you had the skill and discipline to write an entire script for this, I would imagine a person with such abilities would simply have the skill and discipline not to click on the links...
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 17:31

Drayth wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 16:32:
The slippery slope of this sort of mob justice will very quickly lead to "re-education" camps and firing squads

Dude, exactly. I read this and I was like tomorrow's article is sure to be Ubisoft Announces Internal HR Gulag, Re-Educational Firing Squad Center for Bad Tweets - Other Company's Consider Adopting. Watch out you don't get microchipped, comrade!

While I do think leaning too far to the left as well as too far to the right is not good, I don't think we're quite there ^ yet.

You work for The Onion, don't you...
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 4, 2020, 17:40
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 17:40
Jul 4, 2020, 17:40

yeah stick your head in the sand script man

Jul 4, 2020, 17:41
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 17:41
Jul 4, 2020, 17:41

Ubisoft, welcome to the next Riot Games.
There are some real scummy geeks that work at these places, I for one am glad to see them gone.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jul 4, 2020, 18:03
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 18:03
Jul 4, 2020, 18:03

Bludd wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:40:

You know if you don't test people for COVID, then they're not actually sick. I learnt that from the teevee. Ignorance is bliss.

Jul 4, 2020, 18:20
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 18:20

It's odd, that you post as if this guy was fired for posting/tweeting. It clearly says there was an investigation and is still on going.
So, either you didn't read this and posted anyway, or your using this story as a way to malign any attempt to stop legitimate abuse.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 18:20

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 18:03:
Bludd wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:40:

You know if you don't test people for COVID, then they're not actually sick. I learnt that from the teevee. Ignorance is bliss.
and there is impossible to have a nuclear disaster in the soviet union

Jul 4, 2020, 18:42
Cutter

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 18:42
Jul 4, 2020, 18:42
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:31:

I know you're teasing but this is serious. They even had an Op-ed in the NYT about this today. As much as the left loves reviling the right for fascism they're the ones that are actually rolling it out. What started as a 'well intentioned' PC movement years ago has ballooned into an almost Orwellian nightmare at this point...and it's getting worse by the day. I chatted with an old pal of mine still in corporate recently and he says it's a minefield that has everyone stressed to the point of quitting. Make the slightest off color remark or joke, even inadvertently, and you're given your walking papers and frogmarched out of the building. Good luck getting another job after something like that. Is that the sort of "equal" society you want to live in? A place you're made a public example of for not engaging in the groupthink? Where it's against the law for anyone to be offended or inconvenienced even in the slightest degree? Because that's where it's all going.

It wasn't that long ago liberals were castigating the Taliban for tearing down stuff they didn't agree with and now liberals are doing the exact same thing. I'm not against removing things that may offend you where you live but last I checked it's supposed to be a democracy where people decide these things by consensus and not mob rule. Even most of the centrists here are constantly attacked by the moonbats around here for not falling into line with that sort of left-wing extremism. That anyone who doesn't agree entirely with what they say is obviously a goose-stepping Nazi. To me that sort of mentality represents a real danger, not something to make lite of. It's zero different from the right-wing loonies who think that every one who doesn't agree with them is some godless pinko commie traitor. Drayth is absolutely correct in his assertion, we're not there yet but we're well on our way.

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Jul 4, 2020, 18:56
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 18:56
Jul 4, 2020, 18:56

How to spot a nothing burger comment (check list)
I know your joking ... CHECK
I know someone and he says ... CHECK
There was an article, editorial, bla bla bla, in a major newspaper (no link provided) ... CHECK
I agree with the one person who agrees w/me ... CHECK
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jul 4, 2020, 19:04
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 19:04
Jul 4, 2020, 19:04

The problem with the taking down offensive monuments through democratic means is the right has entrenched itself and the left is mostly dominated by complete weaklings, politically speaking. Since nothing positive can get done democratically things have reached their breaking point, and here we are.

Jul 4, 2020, 19:39
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 19:39
Jul 4, 2020, 19:39

People insist sexual harassment and assault just don't happen and women make it up, and you think wow that person must be pretty sheltered, and then you see someone literally writing scripts to remove any mention of it from their life... Deliberate ignorance.

Jul 4, 2020, 20:34
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 20:34
Jul 4, 2020, 20:34

None of this surprises me. It's an industry that was birthed by young males essentially making entertainment with mainly a focus on a young male demographic. It's an insular group with misogynistic tendencies, has always been such. We're seeing some winds of change these days.
tapes 'n' tapes

Jul 4, 2020, 20:47
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 20:47
Jul 4, 2020, 20:47

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 18:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:31:

I know you're teasing but this is serious. They even had an Op-ed in the NYT about this today. As much as the left loves reviling the right for fascism they're the ones that are actually rolling it out. What started as a 'well intentioned' PC movement years ago has ballooned into an almost Orwellian nightmare at this point...and it's getting worse by the day.

I guess you're right, this woman should have been able to totally get over this kind of unprompted joke from a potential hiring manager like Chris Avellone:

"You may have to listen very hard while your hands dig into the sides of my head and force me deep into your pussy," he wrote. "Or we could just talk, too,"

Seriously, she just needs to relax and take a chill pill. It was a joke!!1
Do I need a /s here? I feel like there are some people that might miss the dripping sarcasm.

I chatted with an old pal of mine still in corporate recently and he says it's a minefield that has everyone stressed to the point of quitting. Make the slightest off color remark or joke, even inadvertently, and you're given your walking papers and frogmarched out of the building. Good luck getting another job after something like that. Is that the sort of "equal" society you want to live in? A place you're made a public example of for not engaging in the groupthink? Where it's against the law for anyone to be offended or inconvenienced even in the slightest degree? Because that's where it's all going.
I'm going to quote Beamer's made up quote of this kind of thinking here, because it was so spot on:

"You could slap your secretary on the ass and she'd find it funny! These days, when you tell a woman that she's gained too much weight for you to date but you'd certainly give her a roll in the hay, she gets offended. When you tell a black man that your grandpappy used to own people like him, he gets angry. Why can't we go back to the good old days when white men could say and do whatever they wanted and everyone else had to laugh or else? We need to go back to that! Make America Great Again. For white people to not have to be polite or respectful, yet everyone else needs to towards us!"

Sounds like your friend's corporation might be the next one in the news. I work for a 1400 person corporation including a 300+ IT department with billions in revenue annually. No one is talking about this at all. Why? Because our workforce is about half women, and we have strong policies in place against harassment, and there's zero tolerance for any kind of BS. In short, it's an excellent place to work and one of the most sought after companies in the state.

It wasn't that long ago liberals were castigating the Taliban for tearing down stuff they didn't agree with and now liberals are doing the exact same thing.
Apples and oranges. The Taliban were blowing up World Heritage sites. I'll agree with you as soon as someone's misogynistic comments makes the World Heritage registry.

I'm not against removing things that may offend you where you live but last I checked it's supposed to be a democracy where people decide these things by consensus and not mob rule.
The majority has spoken overwhelmingly: sexual harassment in the workplace is intolerable. Was that ever in question?

Even most of the centrists here are constantly attacked by the moonbats around here for not falling into line with that sort of left-wing extremism. That anyone who doesn't agree entirely with what they say is obviously a goose-stepping Nazi. To me that sort of mentality represents a real danger, not something to make lite of. It's zero different from the right-wing loonies who think that every one who doesn't agree with them is some godless pinko commie traitor. Drayth is absolutely correct in his assertion, we're not there yet but we're well on our way.
Please link to an example of where that has happened. Also, I'm sure you realized that you realize that Drayth was using hyperbole to mock your assertions.

Jul 4, 2020, 20:53
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 20:53
Jul 4, 2020, 20:53

Yeah assholes being horrible to women at the workplace and being suitably punished for it is going to lead us down a horrible rabbit hole of suppressed rights and an Orwellian nightmare.

This stuff is NOT OK on any level.

Jul 4, 2020, 21:24
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 21:24
Jul 4, 2020, 21:24

Ok, maybe this guy is a scumbag, only he and his alleged victims know for certain but if he was canned simply because of social media allegations we're all in very deep trouble. The slippery slope

That is what I would never assume, this isn't a small business, they'll do the process almost always.

Jul 4, 2020, 22:14
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 22:14
Jul 4, 2020, 22:14

deqer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 16:04:

I temporarily turned off my script so that I may enter this topic and post this message for you all.

Again, I use TamperMonkey extension in my browser, Brave (chrome powered), but you may prefer another extension that let's you inject JavaScript onto websites.

Here is the script:

// ==UserScript==
// @name Bluesnews
// @namespace http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version 0.1
// @description try to take over the world!
// @author You
// @match https://www.bluesnews.com/*
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
'use strict';

// Your code here...
setTimeout(function() {
var regexTerms = /(racist|confederate|misconduct|harassment|sexual|assault|sexism)/i;
var regexHeadings = /(Metaverse|Tech Bits|Safety Dance|Legal Briefs|Op Ed|Into the Black|etc\.|Out of the Blue)$/i;
var els = document.querySelectorAll("a");
var heading = el.closest(".posting");
if (heading !== null) {
var article = heading.parentNode.parentNode;
if (article !== null) {
}
}
}

if (el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms) || el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings)) {
var li = el.closest("li");
if (li !== null) {
li.parentNode.removeChild(li);
}
else {
el.parentNode.removeChild(el);
}
}
});
els = document.querySelectorAll(".article");
var article = el.parentNode.parentNode;
}
});
},250);
})();

That's it!

If you find any news that still shows up, then pick a word from that and add it to the regexTerms list, separated by |
So can I use this code anywhere to make browsing the web a Kardash-iverse free experience?
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer