Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft

Maxime Béland has resigned from Ubisoft, where he had served as Vice President Editorial, working on the Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six, and Far Cry franchises. This is reported on Gamasutra where they add that another unnamed individual has been fired from Ubisoft Toronto for "engaging in behaviours that do not align with what is expected of Ubisoft employees." Béland was placed on leave last week following allegations of misconduct. The Gamasutra article offers details, saying there were "a stream of allegations posted on social media accusing the Ubisoft exec of choking a female employee at a Far Cry party and several forms of sexual harassment. Ubisoft was reportedly aware of those allegations but chose not to act." They have an official statement from Ubisoft:
Hi – I’m providing an update following the internal letter sent by Yves Guillemot yesterday, which outlined a series of initiatives aimed at improving the way in which Ubisoft operates.

Maxime Beland, Vice President Editorial, has resigned from his role at Ubisoft, effective immediately. Despite his resignation, we continue to investigate the allegations made against him. Additionally, effective as of yesterday, Tommy François, Vice President Editorial & Creative Services, has been placed on disciplinary leave pending the outcome of an investigation. One other individual in our Toronto studio has been terminated for engaging in behaviors that do not align with what is expected of Ubisoft employees. Other investigations are ongoing and will be conducted rigorously.

Ubisoft will not tolerate workplace misconduct and will continue taking disciplinary actions against anyone who engages in harassment, discrimination and other behaviors that infringe on our Code of Fair Conduct.
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft
Jul 5, 2020, 16:05
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 16:05
Jul 5, 2020, 16:05

Quinn wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 11:49:
The fear people have is that there will be "collateral damage", that innocent men's heads will roll in this new woke trend which is maybe completely benevolent but definitely good PR.

Do you have citable sources with verifiable facts for these events actually occurring? Not anecdotes but actual data.

Because if you don't, you're fear mongering. Fear is irrational and acting out of that fear is just as irrational as you claim others are being.

As I said previously, I have worked in my career field for 40 years and at no time have I ever been accused of sexual harassment or professional misconduct nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever engaged in it. Also, at no point in that 40 years have I ever worried that I would be falsely accused. This is, to my memory, the third time that sexual harassment has become a spotlight in the corporate world since I began working. In the two other previous times, I heard much the same rhetoric that is spewed here. That it was a witch hunt, that men would be falsely accused, that lives and careers would be ended, et al ad nauseum. None of that ever happened.

It is, to my mind, simple to keep from running afoul of an allegation. I treat the women I work with the same courtesy and ethical professionalism that I would want for my wife were she still working. So far it hasn't failed me and it is unlikely to fail me until I retire.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jul 5, 2020, 13:36
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 13:36
Jul 5, 2020, 13:36

afka Rossini wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 22:14:
deqer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 16:04:
If you find any news that still shows up, then pick a word from that and add it to the regexTerms list, separated by |
So can I use this code anywhere to make browsing the web a Kardash-iverse free experience?
Asking the real questions!

Jul 5, 2020, 12:50
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 12:50
Jul 5, 2020, 12:50

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 20:47:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 18:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:31:
Drayth wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 16:32:
Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 15:47:
The slippery slope of this sort of mob justice will very quickly lead to "re-education" camps and firing squads

Dude, exactly. I read this and I was like tomorrow's article is sure to be Ubisoft Announces Internal HR Gulag, Re-Educational Firing Squad Center for Bad Tweets - Other Company's Consider Adopting. Watch out you don't get microchipped, comrade!

While I do think leaning too far to the left as well as too far to the right is not good, I don't think we're quite there ^ yet.

You work for The Onion, don't you...

I know you're teasing but this is serious. They even had an Op-ed in the NYT about this today. As much as the left loves reviling the right for fascism they're the ones that are actually rolling it out. What started as a 'well intentioned' PC movement years ago has ballooned into an almost Orwellian nightmare at this point...and it's getting worse by the day.

I guess you're right, this woman should have been able to totally get over this kind of unprompted joke from a potential hiring manager like Chris Avellone:

"You may have to listen very hard while your hands dig into the sides of my head and force me deep into your pussy," he wrote. "Or we could just talk, too,"

Seriously, she just needs to relax and take a chill pill. It was a joke!!1
Do I need a /s here? I feel like there are some people that might miss the dripping sarcasm.

I chatted with an old pal of mine still in corporate recently and he says it's a minefield that has everyone stressed to the point of quitting. Make the slightest off color remark or joke, even inadvertently, and you're given your walking papers and frogmarched out of the building. Good luck getting another job after something like that. Is that the sort of "equal" society you want to live in? A place you're made a public example of for not engaging in the groupthink? Where it's against the law for anyone to be offended or inconvenienced even in the slightest degree? Because that's where it's all going.
I'm going to quote Beamer's made up quote of this kind of thinking here, because it was so spot on:

"You could slap your secretary on the ass and she'd find it funny! These days, when you tell a woman that she's gained too much weight for you to date but you'd certainly give her a roll in the hay, she gets offended. When you tell a black man that your grandpappy used to own people like him, he gets angry. Why can't we go back to the good old days when white men could say and do whatever they wanted and everyone else had to laugh or else? We need to go back to that! Make America Great Again. For white people to not have to be polite or respectful, yet everyone else needs to towards us!"

Sounds like your friend's corporation might be the next one in the news. I work for a 1400 person corporation including a 300+ IT department with billions in revenue annually. No one is talking about this at all. Why? Because our workforce is about half women, and we have strong policies in place against harassment, and there's zero tolerance for any kind of BS. In short, it's an excellent place to work and one of the most sought after companies in the state.

It wasn't that long ago liberals were castigating the Taliban for tearing down stuff they didn't agree with and now liberals are doing the exact same thing.
Apples and oranges. The Taliban were blowing up World Heritage sites. I'll agree with you as soon as someone's misogynistic comments makes the World Heritage registry.

I'm not against removing things that may offend you where you live but last I checked it's supposed to be a democracy where people decide these things by consensus and not mob rule.
The majority has spoken overwhelmingly: sexual harassment in the workplace is intolerable. Was that ever in question?

Even most of the centrists here are constantly attacked by the moonbats around here for not falling into line with that sort of left-wing extremism. That anyone who doesn't agree entirely with what they say is obviously a goose-stepping Nazi. To me that sort of mentality represents a real danger, not something to make lite of. It's zero different from the right-wing loonies who think that every one who doesn't agree with them is some godless pinko commie traitor. Drayth is absolutely correct in his assertion, we're not there yet but we're well on our way.
Please link to an example of where that has happened. Also, I'm sure you realized that you realize that Drayth was using hyperbole to mock your assertions.
Thank you for being succinct and irrefutably rebuking all of those nonsense points.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jul 5, 2020, 12:49
Cutter

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 12:49
Jul 5, 2020, 12:49
 Cutter

Jonjonz wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 06:33:
The dimballs here obviously have never read about the Great Leap Forward or Russia's Marxist revolution, or how Albert Speer operated. Have fun when some one who has a grudge against you makes anonymous sexual allegations about you in the new 'anti'-social media.

That's what these idiots don't understand. Where even disagreeing with some aspect of the liberal witch hunts, no matter how minor, will label you a traitor and then your life is over. It's happening today, and they fail to see it because they're part of the mob. They don't care how many innocent people burn in the witch hunts so long as they can feel good about being woke snowflakes. Sooner or later the mob will turn on you for some slight, real or imagined. Meantime stoke those pyres, boys, a lot of innocent people need to be burned.

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Jul 5, 2020, 12:13
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 12:13
Jul 5, 2020, 12:13

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 11:56:
Cavemen slowly being dragged into the present where the workplace is no longer considered a meat market.

They will either adapt or die.

At this point it's become an IQ test that too many fail. And that's very sad.

^ Case in point, people. Case in point. Fucking hell... It's like I hacked Redeye's account to post the above, just to prove my own point.

Jul 5, 2020, 11:56
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 11:56
Jul 5, 2020, 11:56

Cavemen slowly being dragged into the present where the workplace is no longer considered a meat market.

They will either adapt or die.

At this point it's become an IQ test that too many fail. And that's very sad.

Jul 5, 2020, 11:49
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 11:49
Jul 5, 2020, 11:49

Fucking hell dudes, I am reading this thread and it's a clusterfuck of deliberately misinterpreting one another. There is room for harmony here if we stop with the straw men and severe lack of charity toward one another. I am deeply disappointed that Jdryer quoted that bullshit comment of Beamer, which is right about the weakest straw man I have seen with regards to this subject. It is a tribal thing to project upon the other person an enemy status.

Nobody here is defending monsters; nobody here thinks harressment is OK, at work or anywhere. The fear people have is that there will be "collateral damage", that innocent men's heads will roll in this new woke trend which is maybe completely benevolent but definitely good PR. The actual argument is that people like myself think that there are people like Beamer/Redeye/"the usual suspects" who find collateral damage OK -- a necessary evil if you will. That, however, flies in the face of due process; of innocent until proven guilty.
Maybe this fear is paranoia, and there isn't anything there. That's fine, convince us that is the case. Just don't try to convince us by making of us the rapist monsters you want us to be so you can be your self-entitled hero.

Jul 5, 2020, 11:00
NKD
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 11:00
Jul 5, 2020, 11:00
NKD

Does this guys name translate to Maximum Bell-end?
Old man trouble back again
Fucking up my plans like oh no, oh no,
I'm back to the black again
Gettin fucked up again, oh no, oh no.

Jul 5, 2020, 09:35
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 09:35
Jul 5, 2020, 09:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 07:26:
It's a funny thing. I have worked in my career field for 40 years now. Not once have I ever been accused of sexual harassment or inappropriate workplace behavior.

Either I am so incredibly lucky that I should go play the lottery right this very second...or I know how to comport myself professionally and ethically.
What part about "women at work are there for your amusement,'" whether you are married or single, don't you understand?

Jul 5, 2020, 07:43
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 07:43
Jul 5, 2020, 07:43

got to read this with the correct perspective that Ubisoft is ultra-woke and ultra-pc.

Jul 5, 2020, 07:26
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 07:26
Jul 5, 2020, 07:26

It's a funny thing. I have worked in my career field for 40 years now. Not once have I ever been accused of sexual harassment or inappropriate workplace behavior.

Either I am so incredibly lucky that I should go play the lottery right this very second...or I know how to comport myself professionally and ethically.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jul 5, 2020, 07:01
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 07:01
Jul 5, 2020, 07:01

Jonjonz wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 06:33:
The dimballs here obviously have never read about the Great Leap Forward or Russia's Marxist revolution, or how Albert Speer operated. Have fun when some one who has a grudge against you makes anonymous sexual allegations about you in the new 'anti'-social media.
What's the best example of this happening so we can learn about it?

We know for a fact, these are real people, real allegations, real investigations and punishments. It's not even clear if law enforcement has gotten involved at this point.
The best I can tell, no one in this forum thread knows the predator, nor the victims. Yet some are convinced the mere existence of a process to prevent abuse is unfair to the abuser?

Do I read you guys correctly?
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jul 5, 2020, 06:33
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 06:33
Jul 5, 2020, 06:33

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jul 5, 2020, 06:16
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 06:16
Jul 5, 2020, 06:16

Hey guys. Are you tired of reading this kind of stuff on your favourite gaming news
Thanks. I will replace the keywords by twitch and stream. (I hope nobody will insult me for not being interested by the streamers)

Jul 5, 2020, 05:59
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 05:59
Jul 5, 2020, 05:59

intermarer wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 05:24:
Hey guys. Are you tired of reading this kind of stuff on your favourite gaming news website?

Thanks for the script!
Also, for public interactions, try walking around with fingers stuck in your ears, works like a charm !

No real *serious* business fires/lets go valuable innocent resources on mere say-sos.
Also there is defense and costly redress for banal charging .

Instantly linking this allegations -> enterprise investigation -> outcome, to firing squads and gulags, is irrationality as usual.

There are those with an agenda, and those unable to follow the causality on most anything ...

Jul 5, 2020, 05:55
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 05:55
Jul 5, 2020, 05:55

afka Rossini wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 22:14:
Hey guys. Are you tired of reading this kind of stuff on your favourite gaming news website?

Well, here's a script you can use to filter all of it, changing Bluesnews back to a comfortable experience about gaming.

So what did you call it? ostrichHole.js?

Jul 5, 2020, 05:24
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 05:24
Jul 5, 2020, 05:24

Thanks for the script!

Jul 5, 2020, 00:40
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 00:40
Jul 5, 2020, 00:40

Beamer wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 00:24:
We have over 50,000 employees and no real problems. We teach people to be mature and respectful. If they can't be, they're gone.

My wife worked for a company with about 150 - her office was 20. Very different culture. Men felt free to say whatever they'd like. It was gross and disturbing. Those people would never last at a large corporation. Incidentally, she was one of 2 in that office. My office is 50% female. My company is flourishing. Her old one failing. No coincidence. A rotten culture leads to a failing business

While I agree with most of what you said. I think that the whole point of this is that a rotten culture doesn't automatically lead to a failing business. That's why these bad practices have been around for so long. Especially in the games industry. Riot Games, Ubisoft, Techland...these aren't companies that are dying.

It basically comes down to doing the decent thing as human beings when we see other human beings being mistreated. Regardless of if a business may die now or way later. The cost is the emotional well-being of fellow humans. That alone should be enough to encourage us not to do nothing.

Jul 5, 2020, 00:24
Beamer

Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 5, 2020, 00:24
Jul 5, 2020, 00:24
 Beamer

We have over 50,000 employees and no real problems. We teach people to be mature and respectful. If they can't be, they're gone.

My wife worked for a company with about 150 - her office was 20. Very different culture. Men felt free to say whatever they'd like. It was gross and disturbing. Those people would never last at a large corporation. Incidentally, she was one of 2 in that office. My office is 50% female. My company is flourishing. Her old one failing. No coincidence. A rotten culture leads to a failing business

Jul 4, 2020, 22:14
Re: Maxime Béland Leaves Ubisoft Jul 4, 2020, 22:14
Jul 4, 2020, 22:14

Well, here's a script you can use to filter all of it, changing Bluesnews back to a comfortable experience about gaming.

I temporarily turned off my script so that I may enter this topic and post this message for you all.

Again, I use TamperMonkey extension in my browser, Brave (chrome powered), but you may prefer another extension that let's you inject JavaScript onto websites.

Here is the script:

// ==UserScript==
// @name Bluesnews
// @namespace http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version 0.1
// @description try to take over the world!
// @author You
// @match https://www.bluesnews.com/*
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
'use strict';

// Your code here...
setTimeout(function() {
var regexTerms = /(racist|confederate|misconduct|harassment|sexual|assault|sexism)/i;
var regexHeadings = /(Metaverse|Tech Bits|Safety Dance|Legal Briefs|Op Ed|Into the Black|etc\.|Out of the Blue)$/i;
var els = document.querySelectorAll("a");
els.forEach(function(el, idx) {
if (el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings) || el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms)) {
var heading = el.closest(".posting");
if (heading !== null) {
var article = heading.parentNode.parentNode;
if (article !== null) {
article.parentNode.removeChild(article);
}
}
}

if (el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms) || el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings)) {
var li = el.closest("li");
if (li !== null) {
li.parentNode.removeChild(li);
}
else {
el.parentNode.removeChild(el);
}
}
});
els = document.querySelectorAll(".article");
els.forEach(function(el, idx) {
if (el.innerHTML.match(regexHeadings) || el.innerHTML.match(regexTerms)) {
var article = el.parentNode.parentNode;
article.parentNode.removeChild(article);
}
});
},250);
})();

That's it!

If you find any news that still shows up, then pick a word from that and add it to the regexTerms list, separated by |
So can I use this code anywhere to make browsing the web a Kardash-iverse free experience?
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older