Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown

PCGamesN reports that Satisfactory has now sold in excess of one million copies. They also have a breakdown from Coffee Stain Studios comparing how the building game is selling on Steam versus the Epic Games Store. Having started as an EGS exclusive, it has still sold more copies there, but Steam is catching up. They have some quotes from the developer explaining why:
Satisfactory has sold 1,326,518 copies in total as of today, July 3. 958,917 of those sales have been on Epic, and the remaining 367,601 sales have come through Steam. Epic reached the 500k mark just under three months after launch, and Steam has reached 367k in under a month, so the game is certainly selling faster on Valve’s platform.

Community manager Jace Varlet attributes the speedier sales on Steam to a few main factors. First, “obviously, Steam is a goliath, so there’s just so many more people there. That’s gonna weigh into things.” Second, Coffee Stain’s take on building games has also enjoyed extra promotion with a 10% discount as part of the Steam Summer Sale – the first discount on Epic happened early, but not within the first month.

“Having said that, in my opinion, I think Steam is gonna overtake it. There’s just more people.”

Varlet adds that there are “other things to consider: Satisfactory is a better game now. There’s more features. It’s had one more year of exposure.”
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown
Jul 4, 2020, 21:32
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 21:32
Jul 4, 2020, 21:32

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 17:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 06:55:
FlyveHest wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 04:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 23:01:
Wow, really? I think Factorio is fantastic building game. I have a couple of thousand hours in it. Didn't even realize the campaign was supposed to be anything but a teaching tool. Definitely didn't know anything about a shipyard and ship to space. Are you sure you aren't confusing games?

It never was.

Allow me to completely destroy you both

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-74
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-75

Because I have a memory that works. (Well, and that was the only reason I bought it, I wanted to build space platforms ,p)

And I liked Factorio well enough... just wished it had become more than just a soulless sandbox with irrelevant enemies.

Btw. I missed they canned his back in 2018 ... Well, I didn't play unmodded Factorio since.. ever. So I wouldn't know.. currently only playing it with Krastorio 2

So that was five years ago. What happened? Why did they abandon it?

I wish I knew, but their explanation was that scripting missions, dialog and voice acting was no longer part of their goal for the development and that adding a second layer after the rocket launch (which remains to this day the only actual goal in the game) is out of scope... since apparently it wouldn't be "fun" to whatever mystery group they base their decisions on to have to learn new reciples and build in a new ruleset (space, in space no one hears you scream)
And of course you are 100% correct to never buy a game before it's finished. But at least in case of Stellaris I could rant a page more about how THAT turned out

Meanwhile Krastorio 2 (a mod) starts you off with an entire crashed ship as base, a shelter module, a research lab, a power generator and 3 ship assemblers, those are inferior (because damaged) to what you can build, but they give you a proper grounding in a setting. In Krastorio 2 you feel from the start like you are trying to at least contact Earth for rescue and that is your goal. Launching satellites is just a stepping stone.

If a mod can do it, why can't Factorio? We will never know. The game is done, nothing more will be done on the campaign side (as in, there won't be any) there won't be ANY story scenarios.

Jul 4, 2020, 19:12
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 19:12
Jul 4, 2020, 19:12

"Satisfactory has sold 1,326,518 copies in total as of today, July 3. 958,917 of those sales have been on Epic, and the remaining 367,601 sales have come through Steam. Epic reached the 500k mark just under three months after launch, and Steam has reached 367k in under a month, so the game is certainly selling faster on Valve’s platform.

Community manager Jace Varlet attributes the speedier sales on Steam to a few main factors. First, “obviously, Steam is a goliath, so there’s just so many more people there. That’s gonna weigh into things.” Second, Coffee Stain’s take on building games has also enjoyed extra promotion with a 10% discount as part of the Steam Summer Sale – the first discount on Epic happened early, but not within the first month."

Meh. The Epic sale started in early May 2019, the game was released to early access on March 15th. The Epic sale was also the subsidzed one that dropped the price to $16.99 vs the Steam sale of $26.99. We still only have Coffee Stain and Epic's word on sales numbers. Though if the rumors are true, it looks like Epic didn't have to subsidize any guaranteed sales to the devs after the 1 year exclusive. If you don't count the $10 discount offered in the summer and winter sales anyway.

Congrats to Epic though on picking a good exclusive to go with early on to drum up the user count of their store. They're still clowning themselves with the whole monopoly arguement of Steam though.

Jul 4, 2020, 17:42
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 17:42
Jul 4, 2020, 17:42

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 13:03:
That change is so mind blowingly dumb that it isn't the game I bought at this point (only other game that I could rant like this over is Stellaris). I also haven't played it for longer than 20 minutes the past year. I find it has become excessively boring and bland. Yeah it looks prettier, but there is no soul to it. No point. No research from enemies anymore, means you never have a reason to expand. Starting area (first 9 tiles, basically) are all you need to get to space.

I actually can barely believe that I like Satisfactory MORE. What is this reality I ended up in. Factorio devs got brain-damage and borked their game in those 5 years by doing changes to it that completely remove any actual gameplay point and story, meanwhile Coffee Stains trolls steam users so hard that I have the game still on ignore on there. And the joke is someone gifted it to me.. curse that person because I like playing it. Way more than Factorio since 0.18 dropped... Factorio legit only incites a big "sigh" in my brain nowadays. I have it installed but were it not for Krastorio 2 I'd have it deleted. Krastorio 2 being, by the way, what Factorio should have been to begin with.

Protip: wait until the game is finished and out of early access before purchase.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 4, 2020, 17:35
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 17:35
Jul 4, 2020, 17:35

Wow, really? I think Factorio is fantastic building game. I have a couple of thousand hours in it. Didn't even realize the campaign was supposed to be anything but a teaching tool. Definitely didn't know anything about a shipyard and ship to space. Are you sure you aren't confusing games?

It never was.

Because I have a memory that works. (Well, and that was the only reason I bought it, I wanted to build space platforms ,p)

And I liked Factorio well enough... just wished it had become more than just a soulless sandbox with irrelevant enemies.

Btw. I missed they canned his back in 2018 ... Well, I didn't play unmodded Factorio since.. ever. So I wouldn't know.. currently only playing it with Krastorio 2

So that was five years ago. What happened? Why did they abandon it?
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 4, 2020, 16:42
Jivaro

Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 16:42
Jul 4, 2020, 16:42
 Jivaro

that makes the aliens sound like the barbarians in the Civ series. Like that?

Jul 4, 2020, 14:16
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 14:16
Jul 4, 2020, 14:16

I had mixed feelings when they removed the necessity to kill aliens for research advancement. This is because I have mixed feeling about the aliens, in general. Even when they were needed for research, by the mid-game they were no threat to you, they were merely an annoyance. I always considered it a building/logistics game -- the aliens always seems like a silly add-on to me. *shrug* Different strokes for different folks.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jul 4, 2020, 13:03
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 13:03
Jul 4, 2020, 13:03

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 10:42:

I don't feel destroyed in any way. Unless you feel destroyed for missing it was cancelled in 2018 -- then I might feel a little destroyed in empathy...

I bought the game in Mar. 2016. The blog posts are from Feb. 2015. Seems like they must have given up on the idea well before "cancelling" it in 2018....

Hehe it's just a stupid meme I can still be salty about it, giving up on developing any meaningful gameplay in a game that is only a sandbox with pointless enemies since there is no point to even PLAY with enemies ON, the game has no advancement tied to them. Remember, the game was sold long before it came to steam. I own it since 2015 and played it before that. I bought it for the promised campaign and end-goals and when I bought it, enemies gave you research now in their finalized version the enemies give you nothing.

That change is so mind blowingly dumb that it isn't the game I bought at this point (only other game that I could rant like this over is Stellaris). I also haven't played it for longer than 20 minutes the past year. I find it has become excessively boring and bland. Yeah it looks prettier, but there is no soul to it. No point. No research from enemies anymore, means you never have a reason to expand. Starting area (first 9 tiles, basically) are all you need to get to space.

I actually can barely believe that I like Satisfactory MORE. What is this reality I ended up in. Factorio devs got brain-damage and borked their game in those 5 years by doing changes to it that completely remove any actual gameplay point and story, meanwhile Coffee Stains trolls steam users so hard that I have the game still on ignore on there. And the joke is someone gifted it to me.. curse that person because I like playing it. Way more than Factorio since 0.18 dropped... Factorio legit only incites a big "sigh" in my brain nowadays. I have it installed but were it not for Krastorio 2 I'd have it deleted. Krastorio 2 being, by the way, what Factorio should have been to begin with.

Jul 4, 2020, 10:42
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 10:42
Jul 4, 2020, 10:42

I don't feel destroyed in any way. Unless you feel destroyed for missing it was cancelled in 2018 -- then I might feel a little destroyed in empathy...

I bought the game in Mar. 2016. The blog posts are from Feb. 2015. Seems like they must have given up on the idea well before "cancelling" it in 2018....

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jul 4, 2020, 06:55
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 06:55
Jul 4, 2020, 06:55

It never was.

Jul 4, 2020, 04:44
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 04:44
Jul 4, 2020, 04:44

It never was.

Jul 4, 2020, 02:25
El Pit

Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 02:25
Jul 4, 2020, 02:25
 El Pit

Satisfactory is simply a very "satisfactory" gaming experience for me. It is kind of Zen - no pressure, play it the way you want, take your time, try different approaches and ideas. They still want to add a lot to the game that I've already spent 200+ hours with - great! But I'm a little burnt out, so I will wait for them to finish the game in a year or maybe two and will gladly go back to work on my next big factory. And it will be a Satisfactory experience again, I think.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jul 4, 2020, 01:44
Kxmode

Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 4, 2020, 01:44
Jul 4, 2020, 01:44
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 23:09:
I guess you could say that they sold a satisfactory amount.

I'll see myself out.

I'm not even mad. That's amazing. (• ᴥ •)
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 3, 2020, 23:09
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 23:09
Jul 3, 2020, 23:09

I guess you could say that they sold a satisfactory amount.

I'll see myself out.

Jul 3, 2020, 23:01
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 23:01
Jul 3, 2020, 23:01

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 21:26:
You know, I was hyped for this game.. a year ago. Now I don't care anymore... so much happened since then, not a game I even want to play currently (same for Factorio, which I am actually even a bit salty about after they just flat out shit-canned the PROMISED campaign and entire POINT of the game (Orbital platform, building a space shipyard and ship to get from the planet).

Anyway, I am glad building games like this make at least 1m sales.. now please someone make a proper one, a mix of Diablo, Factorio and Satisfactory....... mhhhhh

Jul 3, 2020, 22:38
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 22:38
Jul 3, 2020, 22:38

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 18:48:
I like the game, but it definitely needs more features and some polishing still. I look forward to what it will look like as time and updates go by...

Yep. I played quite a bit of Update 3 and had a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with it until release. It's coming along nicely but still needs a bit of work. I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth though. I really enjoyed the exploration aspect. It's a beautiful world they've created, though it could use less floating flora.

Jul 3, 2020, 22:37
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 22:37
Jul 3, 2020, 22:37

WaltC wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 21:09:
How long did Epic have the exclusive listing before the game opened on Steam? It sounds like the game was available on EGS at least 90 days before Steam got it. Just perusing through Steam forums now and then I'm amazed at the number of people who aren't aware of anywhere to buy other than Steam! I guess these are regional commenters who maybe can't buy anywhere apart from Steam. But otherwise, platforms are not either-or. People with access to Steam usually also have access to EGS, Gog, and the rest. So it isn't necessarily true that "Steam" has "more people" because any of those people can also buy from Gog or EGS--or wherever they like. I don't think the logic holds, necessarily. It is possible however that N00bs might not see any further than Steam--that is certainly true. Sad, though, imo.

Like a year before Steam. For them it is like to full releases off the same game, which I was wondering if that was going to be a thing. For the better games anyway it seems like that it will.

Jul 3, 2020, 21:26
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 21:26
Jul 3, 2020, 21:26

You know, I was hyped for this game.. a year ago. Now I don't care anymore... so much happened since then, not a game I even want to play currently (same for Factorio, which I am actually even a bit salty about after they just flat out shit-canned the PROMISED campaign and entire POINT of the game (Orbital platform, building a space shipyard and ship to get from the planet).

Anyway, I am glad building games like this make at least 1m sales.. now please someone make a proper one, a mix of Diablo, Factorio and Satisfactory....... mhhhhh

Jul 3, 2020, 21:16
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 21:16
Jul 3, 2020, 21:16

WaltC wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 21:09:
How long did Epic have the exclusive listing before the game opened on Steam?
About 13 months.

Jul 3, 2020, 21:09
Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 21:09
Jul 3, 2020, 21:09

How long did Epic have the exclusive listing before the game opened on Steam? It sounds like the game was available on EGS at least 90 days before Steam got it. Just perusing through Steam forums now and then I'm amazed at the number of people who aren't aware of anywhere to buy other than Steam! I guess these are regional commenters who maybe can't buy anywhere apart from Steam. But otherwise, platforms are not either-or. People with access to Steam usually also have access to EGS, Gog, and the rest. So it isn't necessarily true that "Steam" has "more people" because any of those people can also buy from Gog or EGS--or wherever they like. I don't think the logic holds, necessarily. It is possible however that N00bs might not see any further than Steam--that is certainly true. Sad, though, imo.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Jul 3, 2020, 19:53
Kxmode

Re: Satisfactory Sells 1.3 Million Copies; Steam vs Epic Games Store Breakdown Jul 3, 2020, 19:53
Jul 3, 2020, 19:53
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 19:13:
No surprises here.
if your widget is on a shelf at one of the 4,756 WalMarts it’s bound to sell more than if at one of the 2000 Lowe’s.

And your point because I know you're attempting to infer one.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older