Op Ed

• GamesIndustry.biz - Amazon and Google are in games for the wrong reasons - Opinion.
    "The problem is that that's not a reason to make games; it's an end that they think games could fulfil. The games themselves are just a means to that end, which makes it entirely unsurprising when the games and services birthed from that philosophy aren't actually appealing or interesting to consumers. They're not designed from the outset to appeal to consumers; they're designed to connect a few things together in a corporate planning flowchart."
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Jul 5, 2020, 01:58
Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2020, 01:58
Jul 5, 2020, 01:58

jdreyer wrote on Jul 5, 2020, 01:45:
Blue just reports the news. I detect no opinion on his views in reporting this story one way or the other. In fact, contrary to most of the stories he posts, this one lacks a "Blue blurb" that could reveal his feelings about it.

That is the whole idea behind the Op Ed section. These are posts that express the editorial opinions on other sites. Posting them here is to report what's being said about a topic, and is by no means meant to be an endorsement. I don't know how close it is to 50/50, but many of the entries here express opinions I don't personally agree with. I trust that this explanation is not actually required for most readers, as I've always felt it was obvious.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jul 5, 2020, 01:45
Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2020, 01:45
Jul 5, 2020, 01:45

Jonjonz wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 06:38:
Poor Blue seems enamored and in the thrall of GameIndustry.biz an oxymoron to begin with. Industry is a capitalist concept, get used to it. Sophomoric stating the obvious, duh.
More of the same old victum-hood anarchy lets burn down everything blather.
Blue just reports the news. I detect no opinion on his views in reporting this story one way or the other. In fact, contrary to most of the stories he posts, this one lacks a "Blue blurb" that could reveal his feelings about it.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 4, 2020, 14:12
Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2020, 14:12
Jul 4, 2020, 14:12

Jonjonz wrote on Jul 4, 2020, 06:38:
Poor Blue seems enamored and in the thrall of GameIndustry.biz an oxymoron to begin with. Industry is a capitalist concept, get used to it. Sophomoric stating the obvious, duh.

It is a complex subject to some. I mean, a billion dollar industry in business to make money is so abstract...

Jul 4, 2020, 06:38
Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2020, 06:38
Jul 4, 2020, 06:38

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jul 3, 2020, 22:25
Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2020, 22:25
Jul 3, 2020, 22:25

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 20:20:
It's not like game devs are doing it for their health either. The only difference is that if they want it to succeed in order to be profitable they need to get out of the way. Why not just publish in that case? No shortage of devs out there looking for capital for their ideas.

Well, I forgot to mention, Amazon and Google don't like to just make money once (for example, from publishing), they also make money from selling tools and licenses, ie. Amazon's Lumberyard, whatever Google game oriented programs they've made recently, they also I'm sure will want to run their own stores, and compete with the online giants for a chunk of that pie. They want a piece of every aspect of the gaming money chain, probably.

Jul 3, 2020, 20:20
Cutter

Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2020, 20:20
Jul 3, 2020, 20:20
 Cutter

It's not like game devs are doing it for their health either. The only difference is that if they want it to succeed in order to be profitable they need to get out of the way. Why not just publish in that case? No shortage of devs out there looking for capital for their ideas.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Jul 3, 2020, 19:22
Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2020, 19:22
Jul 3, 2020, 19:22

Well, duh. Amazon and Google don't care about making games, they care about making money. The question is whether or not any people who love making games can survive in those organizations and make some good to great games, before they are ground down to nothing.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older