Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators

A tweet from Amazon Studios offers a brief teaser video for a series being created for Amazon Prime Video based on the Fallout games. A post on the Bethesda Website has first details, saying the show's executive producers include Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan, showrunners for HBO's Westworld series: "Fallout is from Amazon Studios and Kilter Films in association with Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks, with executive producers Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, and Athena Wickham for Kilter Films, Todd Howard for Bethesda Game Studios, and James Altman for Bethesda Softworks." There's no word on when this will air, but they do say it is currently in production with a series commitment. Here's more:
"Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time. Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends. So we're incredibly excited to partner with Todd Howard and the rest of the brilliant lunatics at Bethesda to bring this massive, subversive, and darkly funny universe to life with Amazon Studios,” said Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan, Kilter Films.

“Over the last decade, we looked at many ways to bring Fallout to the screen,” said Todd Howard, Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios. “But it was clear from the moment I first spoke with Jonah and Lisa a few years ago, that they and the team at Kilter were the ones to do it right. We’re enormous fans of their work and couldn’t be more excited to work with them and Amazon Studios.”

“Fallout is an iconic global franchise, with legions of fans worldwide and a rich, deeply compelling storyline that powers it. And Jonah and Lisa are the perfect storytellers to bring this series to life,” said Albert Cheng, COO and Co-Head of Television, Amazon Studios. “We’re thrilled to join with Bethesda to bring Fallout to television.”

The world of Fallout is one where the future envisioned by Americans in the late 1940s explodes upon itself through a nuclear war in 2077. The magic of the Fallout world is the harshness of the wasteland set against the previous generation’s utopian idea of a better world through nuclear energy. It is serious and harsh in tone, yet sprinkled with moments of ironic humor and B-movie-nuclear-fantasies.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators
Jul 3, 2020, 19:56
Kxmode

Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 3, 2020, 19:56
Jul 3, 2020, 19:56
 Kxmode

I have to say Amazon is pretty amazing in that they're willing to do projects other studios won't. The Man in the High Castle and The Boys are perfect examples. BTW both are great, although I will say The Boys is a bit much on the violence to the point that I'm reconsidering my continued viewing. I do like its premise though—superheroes who are not exactly the good guys.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jul 3, 2020, 17:20
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 3, 2020, 17:20
Jul 3, 2020, 17:20

Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2020, 11:11:
Even Westworld Season 1 kind of sucked. The plot was interesting, but they forgot to change up tone. People love shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones because of the variety between scenes, which helps you connect with characters. One scene you're worried Tyrion may die, the next you're laughing as he's snarking off to someone. They had intense, heavy scenes, but balanced them with light scenes that served no real purpose other than to give you another side of a character or make you smile with them.

Westworld didn't have this. Every scene, every line, was intense and heavy. Misery and torture. You never saw anyone relax or take a single moment of joy. It made each hour feel very long.

It would have been an all-time great had they not done that.

You make a good point. The show was constantly dreary and one-note in its tone and "twists." There have been plenty of great shows that relied on heavy and dreary, atmospheric settings (Chernobyl comes to mind) but that was balanced by the enthralling acting AND fantastic writing that made you want to watch more even though that "more" consisted of more sadness, death and misery.

Unfortunately, Westworld was missing the later part of that balance and that becomes plainly clear in the second season forward when the writers relied heavily on gimmicky jumps in time to try to force plot twists. And often, those type of twists were handled much better or more gracefully in other movies or shows.

Jul 3, 2020, 11:11
Beamer

Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 3, 2020, 11:11
Jul 3, 2020, 11:11
 Beamer

Even Westworld Season 1 kind of sucked. The plot was interesting, but they forgot to change up tone. People love shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones because of the variety between scenes, which helps you connect with characters. One scene you're worried Tyrion may die, the next you're laughing as he's snarking off to someone. They had intense, heavy scenes, but balanced them with light scenes that served no real purpose other than to give you another side of a character or make you smile with them.

Westworld didn't have this. Every scene, every line, was intense and heavy. Misery and torture. You never saw anyone relax or take a single moment of joy. It made each hour feel very long.

It would have been an all-time great had they not done that.

Jul 3, 2020, 10:30
El Pit

Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 3, 2020, 10:30
Jul 3, 2020, 10:30
 El Pit

Making money. Making money never changes.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jul 3, 2020, 09:49
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 3, 2020, 09:49
Jul 3, 2020, 09:49

I mean as long as they don't take inspiration from Bethesda's story telling... just saying...

Jul 2, 2020, 23:31
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 23:31
Jul 2, 2020, 23:31

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2020, 20:12:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 2, 2020, 19:48:
Oh this will be great. Can’t wait.

Sadly, no, it is going to suck. Westworld has been in a steep nose dive since the conclusion of season one. I have no faith that Fallout will be any better if Nolan and Joy are involved.

Agreed. Westworld had such potential too. Fantastic actors, an interesting concept, a big budget, a network that would fully support them and that a lot of people actually watch. And yet the show-runners just made a mess of it all and it's clear that they have no idea what they're doing plotwise.

In an ironic sort of way, Joy and Nolan are VERY fitting for a Bethesda Fallout show.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2020, 02:55.

Jul 2, 2020, 21:54
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 21:54
Jul 2, 2020, 21:54

At least they said,"darkly funny" I feel like Bethesda has been missing that aspect of the original games since they took the reigns.

Jul 2, 2020, 20:45
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 20:45
Jul 2, 2020, 20:45

When I heard about this, my first immediate thought was why the Westworld producers?
Clearly Nolan and Joy ran out of ideas when they created season 3. If Howard is involved in this show, it doesn't bode well for my interest in this TV show.

Jul 2, 2020, 20:12
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 20:12
Jul 2, 2020, 20:12

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 2, 2020, 19:48:

Sadly, no, it is going to suck. Westworld has been in a steep nose dive since the conclusion of season one. I have no faith that Fallout will be any better if Nolan and Joy are involved.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jul 2, 2020, 19:48
Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 19:48
Jul 2, 2020, 19:48

The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Jul 2, 2020, 19:43
Cutter

Re: Amazon Plans Fallout TV Series with Westworld Creators Jul 2, 2020, 19:43
Jul 2, 2020, 19:43
 Cutter

Seeing how Howard has continually taken FO in the wrong direction I have zero faith in this show.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older