Re: Morning Metaverse
Jul 2, 2020, 06:03
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 2, 2020, 06:03
Jul 2, 2020, 06:03

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 16:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 16:36:
Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 09:10:
Jonjonz wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 06:50:
The way YouTubes recommendations work, if you view a balanced factual video about the holocaust, YouTube eventually starts recommending holocaust deniers and white supremist/nazi leaning videos.

I think 230 was a stupid idea. Anyone or anything that is disseminating hate speech or calls to violent action should be held accountable. 230 is chaos.

I think it would kill YouTube. And pretty much all of the internet. Whether you prefer Reddit or Voat, Facebook or Parler, there's no way to check the literal billions of things that go up every hour. 300 hours of YouTube content is uploaded every minute.

I think that they need to be significantly more on the ball to delete things that get reported, but don't think you can have them proactively monitoring, which they'd need to do in order to be accountable.

Or, think of it this way - should Blue be held accountable because Quinn said that it's ok to sexually harass women at work on this site?

I thought YouTube, FB, etc. had vast armies of people checking the content?

They're not really proactive, though.
Again, YouTube is getting 300 hours per minute. 18,000 per hour. You'd need 54,000 moderators who working 8 hour shifts without breaks, days off, or vacations. More accurately, probably need 100,000 people. That would double Alphabet.
Yeah, but they're hiring people in the Philippines for pennies on the dollar. FB alone says it has 30K content moderators.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 1, 2020, 16:59
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 16:59
Jul 1, 2020, 16:59

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 16:57:
The way YouTubes recommendations work, if you view a balanced factual video about the holocaust, YouTube eventually starts recommending holocaust deniers and white supremist/nazi leaning videos.

I think 230 was a stupid idea. Anyone or anything that is disseminating hate speech or calls to violent action should be held accountable. 230 is chaos.

I think it would kill YouTube. And pretty much all of the internet. Whether you prefer Reddit or Voat, Facebook or Parler, there's no way to check the literal billions of things that go up every hour. 300 hours of YouTube content is uploaded every minute.

I think that they need to be significantly more on the ball to delete things that get reported, but don't think you can have them proactively monitoring, which they'd need to do in order to be accountable.

Or, think of it this way - should Blue be held accountable because Quinn said that it's ok to sexually harass women at work on this site?

Again, YouTube is getting 300 hours per minute. 18,000 per hour. You'd need 54,000 moderators who working 8 hour shifts without breaks, days off, or vacations. More accurately, probably need 100,000 people. That would double Alphabet.
It would not even put a dent in Alphabets bottom line.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jul 1, 2020, 16:57
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 16:57
Jul 1, 2020, 16:57
 Beamer

Jul 1, 2020, 16:36
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 16:36
Jul 1, 2020, 16:36

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 1, 2020, 11:25
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 11:25
Jul 1, 2020, 11:25

YouTube added 'alternative' content to the 'recommendations' to avoid echo chambers, but that's only deployed in the last couple years (!).

The Internet with social platforms has cranked up the 'speed' at which the populous moves towards ideologies. There is so much existing content and thriving online communities, that anyone can fall, rapidly, face first into any subject without getting up from the chair. That simply wasn't the case 20 years ago.

I'm not a Steve Jobs fan, but he was a brilliant communicator:

I think one of the things that really separates us from the high primates is that we’re tool builders. I read a study that measured the efficiency of locomotion for various species on the planet. The condor used the least energy to move a kilometer. And, humans came in with a rather unimpressive showing, about a third of the way down the list. It was not too proud a showing for the crown of creation. So, that didn’t look so good. But, then somebody at Scientific American had the insight to test the efficiency of locomotion for a man on a bicycle. And, a man on a bicycle, a human on a bicycle, blew the condor away, completely off the top of the charts.

And that’s what a computer is to me. What a computer is to me is it’s the most remarkable tool that we’ve ever come up with, and it’s the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds. -Steve Jobs

There are brilliant minds over at Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, etc, and they are building better and better "bicycles", and you may think 'Oh dude I can go ANYWHERE!'... except, core to its design, it's main purpose is to keep you pedalling. It makes sense to ask the bike maker to also provide a map of all the roads to go on, but is blocking off dangerous pathways really their responsibility? What is 'too dangerous' for my mind, and how will a corporation determine that? Capitalism, aka, money. And it's done wonders for US political system...

I suppose the silver lining with the speed we've gained with these bicycles, is that failures within this laissez-faire tech industry should occur more quickly. Theoretically, reducing the harm. But with monopolies already formed and plenty of ways for small players to make a quick, dishonest buck, I have my doubts.

Jul 1, 2020, 09:10
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 09:10
Jul 1, 2020, 09:10
 Beamer

Jul 1, 2020, 06:50
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 06:50
Jul 1, 2020, 06:50

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jul 1, 2020, 02:16
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 02:16
Jul 1, 2020, 02:16

I'm very protective over what I watch / click on specifically so my algorithm doesn't start suggesting me the garbage.
One thing that I notice when I'm at friends' places watching youtube is that they always have auto-play on... That's just asking to be sent down the rabbit hole... I'll decide the next video I'm watching thank you very much.
First thing I do is disable autoplay wherever and whenever I see it. It's a public service

If you're going to be doing a lot of youtube watching, I recommend subscribing to a very robust list of channels of excellent quality... when the recommendation algorithm starts giving you crap, go back to only viewing your queue of videos from subscribers. Watch those for a bit and your recommendations will be back along those lines for the most part.

Jul 1, 2020, 01:50
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2020, 01:50
Jul 1, 2020, 01:50

theglaze wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:00:
Anyone listen to NYT podcast "Rabbit Hole", its investigative look into YouTube? It starts off looking into the 'recommended algorithm' and YouTube's wilful ignorance to the side effects on the viewer, or exploitation of the creator. It then spirals out to view more of the Internet realm... heck I even discovered a few things.

I haven't, but I'm not surprised. I've slowly learned and felt something wrong with YouTube, especially the Recommended section, which is the first thing you see whenever opening up YouTube.

I finally setup a JavaScript to deal with it by auto-selecting one of the Recommended filter buttons in the top bar, using an extension (I just found) called Tampermonkey. I use Brave browser, by the way, which uses Chrome engine.

So, I go to YouTube, and Create new Script in Tampermonkey, that looks like this:

Tampermonkey

// ==UserScript==
// @name youtube
// @namespace http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version 0.1
// @description try to take over the world!
// @author You
// @match https://www.youtube.com/
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
'use strict';

// Your code here...
setTimeout(function() {
var choice = document.querySelector('[title="Video game development"]');
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Action-adventure games"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Nintendo Entertainment System"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Nintendo 64"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Mario Series"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Mario"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="The Joy of Painting"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Synthwave"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Electronic Music"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Electrical Engineering"]'); }
if (choice === null) { choice = document.querySelector('[title="Comedy"]'); }
if (choice !== null) {
choice.parentNode.dispatchEvent(new Event('click'));
}
}, 500);
})();

Jun 30, 2020, 18:50
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 18:50
Jun 30, 2020, 18:50

Anyone listen to NYT podcast "Rabbit Hole", its investigative look into YouTube? It starts off looking into the 'recommended algorithm' and YouTube's wilful ignorance to the side effects on the viewer, or exploitation of the creator. It then spirals out to view more of the Internet realm... heck I even discovered a few things.
dam dam dam
That explains dang near everything.
NYTimes owes you a commission, 2 folks I sent it to subscribed.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Jun 30, 2020, 18:36
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 18:36
Jun 30, 2020, 18:36

Meanwhile German fake news spreaders financed by Russia (like Ken.FM and his right radical AFD cahoots) are not banned. So yeah, Youtube as usual. And that's a channel where holocaust deniers get a platform. So just in case you wonder why it bothers me. If people like that aren't banned then Youtube is still a few decades from my interpretation of what is hate-speech.

Jun 30, 2020, 18:31
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 18:31
Jun 30, 2020, 18:31

Scheherazade wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 17:07:
I saw stuff by Molyneux a year ago or so. He was promoting cultural isolationism. Stuff like 'every country has its own culture and shouldn't adapt it to suit immigrants, but rather immigrants should adapt to the culture they are joining.' Didn't see anything white supremacist tho'. Certainly heard him called that, just never heard it from him. Hopefully he wasn't thrown out with the bathwater.

He's a Canadian (of which the vast majority believe in multiculturalism), and generally speaking, "immigrants should adapt" is American (melting pot).

I guess YouTube thinks Molyneux is to white supremacy, as marijuana is to heroine... a gateway into hardcore. That's literally the example NYT outlined in Rabbit Hole.

Jun 30, 2020, 17:07
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 17:07
Jun 30, 2020, 17:07

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 11:12:
The Clorox-ing of social media is long overdue.
Glad to see fakebook, twotter and the tube finally taking out the trash.

I don't know anything about the content from Duke or Spencer.

I saw stuff by Molyneux a year ago or so. He was promoting cultural isolationism. Stuff like 'every country has its own culture and shouldn't adapt it to suit immigrants, but rather immigrants should adapt to the culture they are joining.' Didn't see anything white supremacist tho'. Certainly heard him called that, just never heard it from him. Hopefully he wasn't thrown out with the bathwater.

-scheherazade

Jun 30, 2020, 15:28
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 15:28
Jun 30, 2020, 15:28

A massive corporation exploiting human beings for profit? I don't believe it.

Jun 30, 2020, 14:00
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 14:00
Jun 30, 2020, 14:00

Jun 30, 2020, 11:12
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 30, 2020, 11:12
Jun 30, 2020, 11:12

The Clorox-ing of social media is long overdue.
Glad to see fakebook, twotter and the tube finally taking out the trash.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older