Out of the Blue

Okay, the prizes in our Game Key Giveaway have been distributed to the winners. Thanks Darks for the keys and to everyone who participated. As was feared, a couple of the keys were not valid, but I think most of them worked. We have some left that didn't go out, and a couple of folks have volunteered more, so I think we'll put together another giveaway. Maybe we'll find a way to make this a regular thing.

Obituary: Carl Reiner Dead: Comedy Legend, Dick Van Dyke Show Creator Was 98. Thanks Neutronbeam.

Regular Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links
Thanks RedEye9.

Science

Media

Auction

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 1, 2020, 14:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 14:53
Jul 1, 2020, 14:53

Jivaro wrote on Jul 1, 2020, 14:29:
Star Wars is a universe that between Legends and Canon is like what, 4000 years or more? Why not just do something new? The Mandalorian doing well should be sending the message that fans want new original content, not rehash and repeat of similar storylines. I liked the last few movies but that's because I literally loved all the fanservice most people hate. I am that guy. (Sorry) That being said, a new, original story that wasn't simply a rehash of the same morals and ethics through the same plot devices would have made for a much higher quality set of movies overall. They can do that now, or in the future, so why not do that? It just seems odd to me.

Pick a different spot in the timeline and go! TOR is just waiting to be pillaged Hollywood! HINT HINT

That's exactly what they're doing. This story is nonsense.

Jul 1, 2020, 14:29
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 14:29
Jul 1, 2020, 14:29
 Jivaro

Star Wars is a universe that between Legends and Canon is like what, 4000 years or more? Why not just do something new? The Mandalorian doing well should be sending the message that fans want new original content, not rehash and repeat of similar storylines. I liked the last few movies but that's because I literally loved all the fanservice most people hate. I am that guy. (Sorry) That being said, a new, original story that wasn't simply a rehash of the same morals and ethics through the same plot devices would have made for a much higher quality set of movies overall. They can do that now, or in the future, so why not do that? It just seems odd to me.

Pick a different spot in the timeline and go! TOR is just waiting to be pillaged Hollywood! HINT HINT

Jul 1, 2020, 06:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 06:34
Jul 1, 2020, 06:34

Good riddance Mary Sue Star Wars. Here’s hoping for some more realistic character development in future versions. But I doubt it.

Jul 1, 2020, 04:15
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 04:15
Jul 1, 2020, 04:15

Drayth wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 13:26:
Be that as it may Doomcock did accurately leak the ending of Rise of Skywalker about a month before the movie's release (verified retroactively personally). His sources have been spot on in the past.

I went back and checked that out... he was still wrong about a lot and the "leaks" came out after many trailers had already revealed much of that.
It's possible that he or someone he knew did see the film before everyone else somehow (digital fx studio, marketing, etc.)... but that doesn't translate to insider knowledge of the kind that he's claiming now.

Jul 1, 2020, 04:13
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 04:13
Jul 1, 2020, 04:13

Y'all know that's not happening right?
Despite how badly Mr. "Doomcock Overlord" wants it to be true they're not going to use the Rebels Veil of the Force to reset the canon invalidating the sequel trilogy.
Don't get me wrong, they might use that mechanic to explore other alternate universes, but they'll be the alternates, not episodes 7-9.

Jul 1, 2020, 03:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 03:34
Jul 1, 2020, 03:34

I liked the new Star Wars movies. Only seen them once, though. Still, had a lot of fun watching them.

I'd be fine with a reboot since I'm not quite happy with the direction they took, basically redoing the whole plot again. I like the Jedi Knight series a lot more in that it actually tries to rebuild the Jedi order and also had some fun characters like Kyle Katarn.
It's just a shame that Ford is sick of Star Wars and both Ford and Hamill are probably too old, not to mention that Fisher is dead. :/
I liked the characters from the latest trilogy, though.

And like others said, there are some great games like the Jedi Knight games and KOTOR that also add to the lore. Maybe they could do a sith origin story, like when Revan and Meetra Surik went to fight that Sith emperor Vitiate.
Or a Jedi origin story, sort of like a prequel to the prequels where they go in depth about the prophecy concerning the one who would bring balance to the force.

A big galaxy, a lot of ideas.

Jul 1, 2020, 01:10
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2020, 01:10
Jul 1, 2020, 01:10

1badmf wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 22:05:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 20:41:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 17:08:

The best of the new movies is Rogue One for precisely this reason. Which is odd since it had the most unlikable characters.

Concur. Rogue One was the only movie I liked.
And of the new saga, Ren was the only credibly epic character I was interested in.
In that line I´d totally watch "Rise of the Jdreyerdaughter" !

at this point i'm not sure she's even real. i mean, 1500 SAT, great cook, superhuman athlete? cmon man, next you're gonna tell me she got into harvard law and will save us from trump.

Heh. She did apply to several Ivies, but didn't get in. She won't save you from Trump, but she does want to be a surgeon, so she might save you some day.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 30, 2020, 23:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 23:21
Jun 30, 2020, 23:21

Harvard law, can believe that

(But please, please, let's leave out that contemptuous murderer)

Jun 30, 2020, 22:05
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 22:05
Jun 30, 2020, 22:05

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 20:41:

The best of the new movies is Rogue One for precisely this reason. Which is odd since it had the most unlikable characters.

And of the new saga, Ren was the only credibly epic character I was interested in.

at this point i'm not sure she's even real. i mean, 1500 SAT, great cook, superhuman athlete? cmon man, next you're gonna tell me she got into harvard law and will save us from trump.

Jun 30, 2020, 22:04
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 22:04
Jun 30, 2020, 22:04

wtf_man wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:26:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:13:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Star Wars just isn't that great of a setting. It produced two great films (Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back) and some memorable video games, and that's about it. The rest is passable at best genre fare dressed up in nostalgia. Even the original trilogy ran out of ideas by the end of the first act of Return of the Jedi.

Yeah... 2 out of 9 films that wasn't utter crap. Pretty bad ratio.

3 out of 9. return of the jedi was also an excellent adventure film, just overshadowed by its predecessor Empire. also a couple of excellent games. the setting is fantastic; just the creatives in charge were utterly incapable of grasping what made it so great.

it'll be a clunky transition but it has to be done - just cut it out like a malignant cancer, everything JJ touched. kennedy has to go too, for authorizing that garbage.

Jun 30, 2020, 21:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 21:11
Jun 30, 2020, 21:11

If you appreciate Carl Reiner, if you haven't already you should watch If You're Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2020, 22:02.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 30, 2020, 20:41
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 20:41
Jun 30, 2020, 20:41

Re: Disney Resetting Star Wars; Erasing Last Jedi
Jun 30, 2020, 19:11
Re: Disney Resetting Star Wars; Erasing Last Jedi Jun 30, 2020, 19:11
Jun 30, 2020, 19:11

I hope these rumors of a last trilogy reboot are true.

Force Awakens was aight. Felt it copied too much from the New Hope formula.
Last Jedi was a complete disaster. Only seen it once. Tried my best to re-watch it several times, just couldn't do it. LJ is near the bottom of my worst Star Wars films ever.
Rise of Skywalker was okay. Felt it tried to be the entire last trilogy in one film and fix the mistakes of the previous two films.
Never cared for any of the characters in the last trilogy other than Rey. Not enough character building for any of the characters to make me give a shit about them.

Jun 30, 2020, 18:22
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 18:22
Jun 30, 2020, 18:22

Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, and avoid the indoors except your own home.

He was an athlete in the best shape of his life. Then Covid-19 nearly killed him.

I posted the other day how to make a near N95 mask simply by sandwiching wool flannel (or silk, or chiffon) between two layers of high thread count cotton. Here's another example using Merv 13 filtration material between two pieces of cotton. This was tested to have an effective N rating of 96.5.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 30, 2020, 17:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 17:08
Jun 30, 2020, 17:08

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 15:27:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:26:
I like Star Wars, but I don't think it ever has been the pinnacle of story telling. It is just as easy to nitpick the faults of the originals as it is the prequals as it is the Disney movies. The only difference appears to be that some people experienced parts of the Star Wars during a period of their life when they were more open to the entire experience and couldn't see the flaws, but then experienced other parts of Star Wars during a different period of their life where they were more apt to apply critical thinking.

I've said it a few times, but they focus too narrowly.
Marvel films work because each one reveals something new to us that ties into the whole, with a few films being connective tissue, but most being able ot stand on their own.
Star Wars keeps focusing on one conflict under a microscope. Imagine what the Marvel films would be if it was 9 films about fighting Thanos, with the same small cast each time.

It's a large Galaxy. Find new stories to tell in it.

Jun 30, 2020, 15:27
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 15:27
Jun 30, 2020, 15:27
 Beamer

FloodAnxiety wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:26:
I like Star Wars, but I don't think it ever has been the pinnacle of story telling. It is just as easy to nitpick the faults of the originals as it is the prequals as it is the Disney movies. The only difference appears to be that some people experienced parts of the Star Wars during a period of their life when they were more open to the entire experience and couldn't see the flaws, but then experienced other parts of Star Wars during a different period of their life where they were more apt to apply critical thinking.

I've said it a few times, but they focus too narrowly.
Marvel films work because each one reveals something new to us that ties into the whole, with a few films being connective tissue, but most being able ot stand on their own.
Star Wars keeps focusing on one conflict under a microscope. Imagine what the Marvel films would be if it was 9 films about fighting Thanos, with the same small cast each time.

It's a large Galaxy. Find new stories to tell in it.

Jun 30, 2020, 14:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 14:51
Jun 30, 2020, 14:51

Drayth wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 11:22:
For me, Force Awakens was passable. It didn't fall flat on it's face, and was a decent jumping off point.

I enjoyed it and was very optimistic of the quality of the next two sequels. I was wrong.

Last Jedi just spit all over the lore. Fin suddenly knows how to pilot ships. Hux goes from being Kylo's peer amongst the first order to a complete comic buffoon. Then there was the real world parallels; prank cell phone call joke, war profiteering and animal rights worming their way into the plot. Ugh. Plenty of other issues.

When I saw the green unpasturized alien creature boobie milk scene I knew the series was doomed. And the porgs? Suddenly Chewie is an indifferent a**hole that is just fine with eating a family member of this cute harmless creature -- right in front of it?

Kind of a waste of the new actors as well. I thought they were all great, just trapped in this horrible story arc.

John Boyega was a total spaz throughout the entire sequel trilogy. He is quite the overactor.

Jun 30, 2020, 14:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 14:31
Jun 30, 2020, 14:31

"Always have an escape plan" the only line I know from James Bond.

As for Star Wars.... they should use The Old Republic KOTOR time frame. But get away from the Skywalkers.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Jun 30, 2020, 14:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 14:26

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 30, 2020, 14:13:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Star Wars just isn't that great of a setting. It produced two great films (Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back) and some memorable video games, and that's about it. The rest is passable at best genre fare dressed up in nostalgia. Even the original trilogy ran out of ideas by the end of the first act of Return of the Jedi.

Yeah... 2 out of 9 films that wasn't utter crap. Pretty bad ratio.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2020, 14:26

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older