Strong point, yes.

Re: Steam Top 10
Jun 29, 2020, 21:53
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 21:53
Jun 29, 2020, 21:53

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 20:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 11:18:
Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 11:15:
VR is traditional gaming adjacent, its not a "replacement" of console or PC gaming.
^this

No doubt.
Some like to drive, some like to fly.
Flying is costlier, not widely available, but to those with the dispostion and ability to enjoy it the most, there is no comparison nor substitute.
Many people don't like gaming, as many don't know they would love it.
Given time, steadily more gamers will find VR is their special pleasure.

Volumes, spaces, forms, depths, have been poetry to me since I was a child.
Not everyone has that leaning or particular appreciation.
Apply VR to my habitual games and I will never look back.
It's not a difference between driving or flying. You'll notice how everyone agrees with Vernos statement.
You clearly love it, that's fine.
I'm willing to bet 2O% of all VR headset sold sit in a closet gathering dust and another 20% are rarely, if ever, used.

VR growth will continue, prices will hopefully fall, better games will be made specifically for VR. But I don't foresee it over-taking flat screen gaming anytime soon.
The market is big enough for both to coexist peacefully.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 29, 2020, 20:24
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 20:24
Jun 29, 2020, 20:24

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 19:26:
I do find it amusing that BoP is claiming the demise of something that has only been around for 4 years and is seeing only INCREASED interest. He claims he has no interest in a technology that isn’t mainstream...
While simultaneously being INSANELY defensive of Linux, an operating system that hasn’t made a dent in mainstream consciousness for three decades.

Accompanied by some convenient shuffling and rather strong colouring of arguments

Jun 29, 2020, 20:18
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 20:18
Jun 29, 2020, 20:18

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 11:18:
VR is traditional gaming adjacent, its not a "replacement" of console or PC gaming.
^this

No doubt.
Some like to drive, some like to fly.
Flying is costlier, not widely available, but to those with the dispostion and ability to enjoy it the most, there is no comparison nor substitute.
Many people don't like gaming, as many don't know they would love it.
Given time, steadily more gamers will find VR is their special pleasure.

Volumes, spaces, forms, depths, have been poetry to me since I was a child.
Not everyone has that leaning or particular appreciation.
Apply VR to my habitual games and I will never look back.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2020, 20:33.

Jun 29, 2020, 19:26
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 19:26
Jun 29, 2020, 19:26

I do find it amusing that BoP is claiming the demise of something that has only been around for 4 years and is seeing only INCREASED interest. He claims he has no interest in a technology that isn’t mainstream...
While simultaneously being INSANELY defensive of Linux, an operating system that hasn’t made a dent in mainstream consciousness for three decades.

Jun 29, 2020, 17:14
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 17:14
Jun 29, 2020, 17:14

theglaze wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 10:45:
Meanwhile, I'm going to race a open-wheeler around the iconic Suzuka track using a technology not ready for the mainstream sheep who just want Candy Crush VR...

My fav track. Love those curves and that crossover.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 29, 2020, 17:13
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 17:13
Jun 29, 2020, 17:13

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 10:25:
Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 09:27:
...It's already a much larger niche than Linux users...

Emphasis mine.

Linux users on Steam: .91%
VR headsets on Steam: 1.92%

A total difference of 1.01%

I would in no way classify that as "much larger". Larger, yes, but we're still talking the difference of a minuscule amount. A less than 2% market share from Steam's own count.

Dude, it's more than twice as large.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 29, 2020, 17:11
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 17:11
Jun 29, 2020, 17:11

saltedicecream wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 10:05:
Nah. The hardware requirements are actually quite low for many titles, most developers and publishers are keenly aware of system requirements. It's already a much larger niche than Linux users so it's growth rate shows a lot of potential but "mass adoption" will probably never happen because many people simply do not want to strap on a headset to play games. At best VR will be a mid-market thing if the headsets continue shrinking, continue going wireless and we see more maturity on the software side (things like sports titles).

And that's OK. It just needs to profitable to survive. The VR space might only support 1-2 manufacturers eventually and again that's fine. I like playing VR games but I'm not always in the mood for it and it's certainly not for everyone. It's gaming adjacent, not a replacement for anything IMO.

This is a point that people seem to miss. All that needs to happen is for content creators to be able to operate at a scale that is profitable for the size of the market. Like, e.g., niche flight sim games and their expensive hardware. And this rush to mass adoption is kind of absurd to begin with. It can take a decade or more for a new medium to reach a point of adoption that is significant. At first new technologies like this suffer from a variety of user experience problems like discomfort, clunkiness, limitations, friction, and expense. The enthusiasts take up the technology for a hefty price, the interplay between that group and the content creators and hardware designers allows the tech and its usage to evolve, and the market gradually expands in response.

The other thing is that VR technology and its applications are extremely immature and immature technologies improve rapidly. There are so many things that need improvement right now--cost is hardly the biggest problem. When we have technologies like wireless, variable focus, foveated rendering, eyetracking, smaller "visor" form factor headsets, motion controllers with more advanced feedback mechanisms, AR passthrough, and so on (and moreover as devs figure out more and more interesting ways to utilize the tech) the experience will be fundamentally different from what we have now. Many of these features are expected to come with gen 2 headsets (but variable focus in particular is unlikely). It's really the only gaming technology I can think of that will allow us to overcome the interface bottleneck that currently exists in flat gaming.

Right now wearing a VR headset frankly means having to tolerate a plethora of annoying, limiting, and discomforting issues which really wear on you after a while, but as time goes on more and more of that will go away and we don't know how large the market for it will be at that point. As a point of comparison, the Palm Pilot (or something like it) was one of many necessary steps in what led up to the modern day smartphone but the user experience it offered was simply not up to par with respect to the usage requirements of 99% of today's smartphone users.

Imagine adoption when VR is 8K per eye, wireless, and weighs as much as a pair of sunglasses.

Jun 29, 2020, 13:39
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 13:39
Jun 29, 2020, 13:39

I agree with Redeye....this is one of the most elegant quotes for describing the position of VR. I'll be stealing this phrase in the future.... LOL

Jun 29, 2020, 13:33
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 13:33
Jun 29, 2020, 13:33

For comparison, the Voodoo1 was launched in 1996. In 1998, the Voodoo2 was launched. By the end of 1999, 3d graphics accelerators (as they were known back then), held 73% of the market. The Oculus Rift, arguably the starting point for modern VR, came out in 2010. A decade later and VR headsets have a 2% market share.

Until VR hits 40% of the market, it is a niche product that is slowly withering on the vine. Just like the last time...and the time before that.
Dude, I don't know what VR user pissed in your cheerios...but damnation....let's take a ride on the reality train, shall we?
- 'Slowly withering on the vine' - >rolling eyes< Just about every post of yours regarding VR is FUD hyperbole, as has been pointed out earlier.
- VR will not replace pancake gaming anytime soon. It requires physical movement, not lounging on a couch or in an office chair. It is a *different* kind of gaming. It has a high additional cost on top of a solid gaming rig. 2D gaming will be the de facto for gaming for at least the next 10-20 years. VR will remain the top percentage of gamers, just as phones make up the vast majority.
- VR users have to be very dedicated to gaming to even consider going that route. Nowadays almost anyone that buys a decent laptop has something on a 1060 or 1080 graphics card right out of the box.....easily skewing the numbers for Mom who just plays farmville.
- Trying to reference VR adoption in comparison to the Voodoo is an utter false equivalency. The Voodoos and ATI cards of the time were *the* gaming renaissance on the level of the adoption of Paradise VGA cards. VR is more comparable to the adoption of 4k or 8k monitors.....it's luxury gaming...pure value add to the core experience.
- The Occulus was released FOUR YEARS AGO, not ten. Since then, at least four manufacturers have also released headsets.
- Headsets are not always powered up, and therefore, Steam hardware surveys will never have an accurate number of users until they expand and use either something a bit more invasive to poll or heuristics that encompass user library or historical hardware changes.

But seriously, the nutbag VR-fanbois are at one extreme end of the spectrum and your FUD is the other end....reality is between.

Jun 29, 2020, 11:18
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 11:18
Jun 29, 2020, 11:18

^this
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 29, 2020, 11:15
Verno

Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 11:15
Jun 29, 2020, 11:15
 Verno

Much larger as in double the size in a much shorter period of time (20+ years vs less than 5). So yes to me, much larger. Especially impressive considering the challenges involved for VR - extra hardware costs, less software availability and so on.

Until VR hits 40% of the market, it is a niche product that is slowly withering on the vine. Just like the last time...and the time before that.

Nope the data says the opposite, it's been growing considerably. Whether or not it remains a niche forever is anyones guess. Personally I think it will be a profitable niche for quite some time but mainstream success is unlikely without glasses sized hardware and that's years off. And again that's fine, I don't feel personally invested in its success or demise. A lot of fun VR games but its not for everyone and there are many days I get off work and don't feel like wearing the headset. VR is traditional gaming adjacent, its not a "replacement" of console or PC gaming.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jun 29, 2020, 10:55
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 10:55
Jun 29, 2020, 10:55

Uh, maybe if you're talking about 100 of something, then 1% vs. 2% wouldn't be very significant. But Steam has like 100 million active users and over a BILLION registered accounts, so the total represented base here is somewhere between 9 and 10 figures...

Jun 29, 2020, 10:52
Bob

Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 10:52
Jun 29, 2020, 10:52
 Bob

... The Oculus Rift, arguably the starting point for modern VR, came out in 2010. A decade later and VR headsets have a 2% market share. ...

Well, not exactly a decade, more like four years. The Oculus Rift consumer version only came out in 2016.

Jun 29, 2020, 10:45
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 10:45
Jun 29, 2020, 10:45

Back in November 2019, it was 1.01%, nearly a 100% growth in 7 months.

For comparison, the Voodoo1....

That's an apple to oranges comparison...

saltedicecream wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 10:05:
As a point of comparison, the Palm Pilot (or something like it) was one of many necessary steps in what led up to the modern day smartphone but the user experience it offered was simply not up to par with respect to the usage requirements of 99% of today's smartphone users.

That's a great example!

Meanwhile, I'm going to race a open-wheeler around the iconic Suzuka track using a technology not ready for the mainstream sheep who just want Candy Crush VR...

Jun 29, 2020, 10:25
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 10:25
Jun 29, 2020, 10:25

...It's already a much larger niche than Linux users...

Emphasis mine.

I would in no way classify that as "much larger". Larger, yes, but we're still talking the difference of a minuscule amount. A less than 2% market share from Steam's own count.

If someone were to come here and state that a GPU manufacturer with less than 2% market share was important, after years of trying and failing to gain significant market share, we would laugh at them and rightfully so. Personal anecdotes do not change the fact that 2% of the market is a dead end.

For comparison, the Voodoo1 was launched in 1996. In 1998, the Voodoo2 was launched. By the end of 1999, 3d graphics accelerators (as they were known back then), held 73% of the market. The Oculus Rift, arguably the starting point for modern VR, came out in 2010. A decade later and VR headsets have a 2% market share.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jun 29, 2020, 10:05
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 10:05
Jun 29, 2020, 10:05

Nah. The hardware requirements are actually quite low for many titles, most developers and publishers are keenly aware of system requirements. It's already a much larger niche than Linux users so it's growth rate shows a lot of potential but "mass adoption" will probably never happen because many people simply do not want to strap on a headset to play games. At best VR will be a mid-market thing if the headsets continue shrinking, continue going wireless and we see more maturity on the software side (things like sports titles).

And that's OK. It just needs to profitable to survive. The VR space might only support 1-2 manufacturers eventually and again that's fine. I like playing VR games but I'm not always in the mood for it and it's certainly not for everyone. It's gaming adjacent, not a replacement for anything IMO.

This is a point that people seem to miss. All that needs to happen is for content creators to be able to operate at a scale that is profitable for the size of the market. Like, e.g., niche flight sim games and their expensive hardware. And this rush to mass adoption is kind of absurd to begin with. It can take a decade or more for a new medium to reach a point of adoption that is significant. At first new technologies like this suffer from a variety of user experience problems like discomfort, clunkiness, limitations, friction, and expense. The enthusiasts take up the technology for a hefty price, the interplay between that group and the content creators and hardware designers allows the tech and its usage to evolve, and the market gradually expands in response.

The other thing is that VR technology and its applications are extremely immature and immature technologies improve rapidly. There are so many things that need improvement right now--cost is hardly the biggest problem. When we have technologies like wireless, variable focus, foveated rendering, eyetracking, smaller "visor" form factor headsets, motion controllers with more advanced feedback mechanisms, AR passthrough, and so on (and moreover as devs figure out more and more interesting ways to utilize the tech) the experience will be fundamentally different from what we have now. Many of these features are expected to come with gen 2 headsets (but variable focus in particular is unlikely). It's really the only gaming technology I can think of that will allow us to overcome the interface bottleneck that currently exists in flat gaming.

Right now wearing a VR headset frankly means having to tolerate a plethora of annoying, limiting, and discomforting issues which really wear on you after a while, but as time goes on more and more of that will go away and we don't know how large the market for it will be at that point. As a point of comparison, the Palm Pilot (or something like it) was one of many necessary steps in what led up to the modern day smartphone but the user experience it offered was simply not up to par with respect to the usage requirements of 99% of today's smartphone users.

Jun 29, 2020, 09:27
Verno

Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 09:27
Jun 29, 2020, 09:27
 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 22:32:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 22:12:
Why is the bar set so low? It seems to me that most of the big publishers have games with minimum specifications higher than "$600 Walmart laptop with integrated graphics."

As RedEye correctly attributed, hyperbole. The point is that the barrier to entry needs to be low enough for mass adoption. It needs to be plug and go.

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jun 29, 2020, 06:53
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 06:53
Jun 29, 2020, 06:53

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2020, 03:10:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 23:04:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 21:10:
... "VR is the future ... "

... Did you try VorpX? Is it good for your tastes?
Read it benefits with some artfully tinkering.
Getting eventually to playing my favorite classics in VR stokes me more than new games.
Plus they should be totally light in requirements.
There are so many native VR titles that you probably don't need VorpX at this point. That said, imagine tempted to pick it up for ArmA3. What are you looking to use it for?

Jdreyer, I've got DVDs and HDDs with most everything 3D that ever came out since 1993, highly compressed, including many titles not found easily or at all today.
The important, the untrascendental. Steam is sort of a measly backup for me

Ha ha, I want to play *everything* in VR, that VorpX allows.
But mostly RPGs, magic or scifi, shooters 1st or 3rd person, action adventures, dungeon crawlers. Hundreds at least

Jun 29, 2020, 03:20
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2020, 03:20
Jun 29, 2020, 03:20

Gib007 wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 16:41:
Until third-party sellers sell the Valve Index VR kit, I won't be allowed to have it. Gibraltar will never be on the list of countries Valve ship to. Even Google still doesn't allow us to have Merchant accounts on their Play Store. We're like in the top 5 GDP per capita in the world.
Isn't Gibraltar a British run territory? Can't anything that you can ship to GBR also be shipped to Gibraltar? That's how US territories work.
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older