Out of the Blue

I had to evict a hornet from our bedroom this morning. He was a nasty-looking critter, but thankfully he seemed pretty mellow and it wasn't hard to trap him and set him free outside. While I was at it I cleaned up the latest collection of stink bugs. Since our move to our more rural digs, these have been by far the most common intruders, as I've had to get rid of dozens of them with no clue how they gain entrance. But all the live ones were in the spring, and today's roundup was a half-dozen corpses. We have one more infestation to deal with, however, as it seems like there's a bird's nest in our dryer vent. They don't seem bothered by us running the dryer, which is odd. This is hard to reach so we've found a wildlife guy to come and deal with this. He says he can relocate the nest to a nearby tree, which will hopefully work, as we certainly don't mean the bitty birdies any harm.

Nested Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Science

Media

Auction

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 27, 2020, 12:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2020, 12:27
Jun 27, 2020, 12:27

This was a defcon 2 hornet. OH wanted to flamethrower the garden.

https://imgur.com/a/8YTnwVy
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Jun 26, 2020, 22:45
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 22:45
Jun 26, 2020, 22:45

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 19:03:
ByteCrawler wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 18:31:
So coincidentally today as I was sitting out on my deck I observed a wasp fly in between the sliding door and under the vinyl siding. Saw it fly out 10 mins later. It eventually returned and did the same thing again.

My fear is there is a nest being built right now, but short of removing the siding to find the nest (something I’ll NEVER do) I’m clueless. Even if I wanted to poison it out all I would be doing is getting the entry point. And I’m not looking to dance to the death trying to swat it away on a 2nd floor small balcony deck lol. Wife is terrified she won’t go out there anymore. If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear it!

Spray wasp spray in there, then some foam insulation or caulking. You can get wasp traps in most dollar stores for a couple of bucks. Hang it outside the entrance. Just cutting them off from the entrance is usually enough to make them go elsewhere. There are also wasp lures that have the same effect they'll go to the lure - general area - and set up shop there instead.

Nice I’ll give that a try!

Jun 26, 2020, 21:00
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 21:00
Jun 26, 2020, 21:00

Brave New World

I haven't read the book since high school, but none of that looked familiar, except for the pill popping.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 26, 2020, 19:03
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 19:03
Jun 26, 2020, 19:03
 Cutter

ByteCrawler wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 18:31:
So coincidentally today as I was sitting out on my deck I observed a wasp fly in between the sliding door and under the vinyl siding. Saw it fly out 10 mins later. It eventually returned and did the same thing again.

My fear is there is a nest being built right now, but short of removing the siding to find the nest (something I’ll NEVER do) I’m clueless. Even if I wanted to poison it out all I would be doing is getting the entry point. And I’m not looking to dance to the death trying to swat it away on a 2nd floor small balcony deck lol. Wife is terrified she won’t go out there anymore. If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear it!

Spray wasp spray in there, then some foam insulation or caulking. You can get wasp traps in most dollar stores for a couple of bucks. Hang it outside the entrance. Just cutting them off from the entrance is usually enough to make them go elsewhere. There are also wasp lures that have the same effect they'll go to the lure - general area - and set up shop there instead.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 26, 2020, 18:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 18:36
Jun 26, 2020, 18:36

The Pyro wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 16:18:
Hornet sightings trigger an immediate escalation to DEFCON 2 and deployment of chemical warfare, while the rest of the family cowers under a blanket at the other end of the house. There will be screaming.

EDIT: I've been stung roughly 20 times over the years, mostly when I was very young, so I have zero sympathy.

And I've never been stung by a hornet. Are you sure this post isn't an indictment of your approach to this, rather than mine?
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jun 26, 2020, 18:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 18:31
Jun 26, 2020, 18:31

Jun 26, 2020, 18:07
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 18:07
Jun 26, 2020, 18:07
 Jivaro

My wife says no bugs in or around the house...the all must die. I am more of a live and let live type of dude except for things like cockroaches, ants, termites....you know....pests. Spiders and wasps are usually good for killing the pests so I would leave them alone. I compromised with her so they all must die.

Jun 26, 2020, 17:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 17:25
Jun 26, 2020, 17:25

I don't kill every insect in my house, specifically I'll generally leave spiders alone. But most everything else it is a case of, "if you show yourself, you are probably going to die". I'm not too concerned about the impact on the environment. They are living in the environment of my house, which they are not necessary for. I have had three or four ant invasions over the years, there is certainly no way I'm going to tolerate that.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 26, 2020, 17:17
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 17:17
Jun 26, 2020, 17:17
 Cutter

Blue wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 12:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 12:05:
My little tip for flying, stinging pests is a fly swatter. Fuck 'em.

I know that's a lot of people's approach to such things, but when possible I try and avoid killing, it makes me feel bad. And it's not like he was hurting anyone, while picking a fight with him had the potential of collecting a bunch of nasty stings. Besides, bald-faced hornets are actually predators of even less desirable pests, including flies. So yeah, he got the catch and release treatment. For me it was a no-brainer.

Good lad. I, almost, always put bugs outside as well. No reason to kill them when they're just trying to survive like the rest of us. Mosquitoes are the exception as their bites are a PITA but they are harbingers of disease. I always try to take the natural approach to discouraging pests around my place - using coffee grounds, cinnamon, certain plants, etc.

Found a good article for you on dealing with Stink Bugs in that natural way. Some plants they don't like and some plants that attract predators that like Stink Bugs.

Doing Battle with Stink Bugs

"Cardinals, bluebirds, and wrens are partial to a stink bug snack, so work to attract these birds to your garden." One more good reason to look after the wildlife around your place. They'll help you out for the cost of a little bird seed. I have lots of cardinals, blue jays and robins always around and the robins in particular are just bug eating machines.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 26, 2020, 17:00
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 17:00
Jun 26, 2020, 17:00

I would have sent this to Blue but it would be sold out before update, afaik.

Blood Fresh Supply at Fanatical $1.00
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Re: Anti-mask people
Jun 26, 2020, 16:52
Re: Anti-mask people Jun 26, 2020, 16:52
Jun 26, 2020, 16:52

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 14:49:
The Unfathomable Stupidity of Rich White Men

Good rant, VERY naïve about Obama, but still pretty good with very good points overall.

Anti-mask people vs Citizens of Pawnee from Parks and Rec
Jun 26, 2020, 16:46
Anti-mask people vs Citizens of Pawnee from Parks and Rec Jun 26, 2020, 16:46
Jun 26, 2020, 16:46

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

-George Carlin

Jun 26, 2020, 16:45
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 16:45
Jun 26, 2020, 16:45

Blue wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 12:24:

I know that's a lot of people's approach to such things, but when possible I try and avoid killing, it makes me feel bad. And it's not like he was hurting anyone, while picking a fight with him had the potential of collecting a bunch of nasty stings. Besides, bald-faced hornets are actually predators of even less desirable pests, including flies. So yeah, he got the catch and release treatment. For me it was a no-brainer.
You should probably need to figure out where the nest is. If it's anywhere close to places you frequent, it will almost certainly become a major issue in the autumn as the workers will start not having any roles for the hive. This will in turn make them stray away from the hive, looking to gorge themselves on anything sweet they can find. In this state they have a tendency to turn hostile without any provocation beyond the target holding/having eaten something sweet.

Jun 26, 2020, 16:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 16:18
Jun 26, 2020, 16:18

Hornet sightings trigger an immediate escalation to DEFCON 2 and deployment of chemical warfare, while the rest of the family cowers under a blanket at the other end of the house. There will be screaming.

EDIT: I've been stung roughly 20 times over the years, mostly when I was very young, so I have zero sympathy.

Re: Brave New World trailer
Jun 26, 2020, 15:59
Re: Brave New World trailer Jun 26, 2020, 15:59
Jun 26, 2020, 15:59

Hrm, that seems barely connected to the novel at all, although it's probably been 20 years since I've read it. It'll probably have as much to do with Aldous Huxley's work as that I, Robot movie did with Asimov's.

Jun 26, 2020, 14:49
Re: Anti-mask people Jun 26, 2020, 14:49
Jun 26, 2020, 14:49

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 14:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 13:06:
Stupid has got to do stupid. Whatca ya' gonna do?
Over the past few decades there has been a distinct loss of trust in institutions in America. Combine that with our mavericky individualism, social media echo chambers, and one political party that continuously undermines government and science, and it is not hard to see how we got to this point.
The Unfathomable Stupidity of Rich White Men
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 26, 2020, 14:24
Re: Anti-mask people Jun 26, 2020, 14:24
Jun 26, 2020, 14:24

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 13:06:
Over the past few decades there has been a distinct loss of trust in institutions in America. Combine that with our mavericky individualism, social media echo chambers, and one political party that continuously undermines government and science, and it is not hard to see how we got to this point.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Anti-mask people
Jun 26, 2020, 13:06
Anti-mask people Jun 26, 2020, 13:06
Jun 26, 2020, 13:06

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 26, 2020, 12:24
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 12:24
Jun 26, 2020, 12:24

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jun 26, 2020, 12:23
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 12:23
Jun 26, 2020, 12:23

Lawmakers weigh methods to battle Asian 'murder hornets' found in US

They decapitate their victims and eat their babies. But that's not why we should really fear them.
Everything You Need To Know About Murder Hornets In 6 Minutes

The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older