Steam Summer Sale Underway

The annual summer sale is now underway on Steam offering discounts on thousands of games between now and July 9th. They are also offering an additional $5.00 discount on a purchase of $30.00 as a "road trop special." This year's side hustle involves points that reward gamers for games they purchase, and these points can be redeemed for avatars, frames, badges, and chat items to customize your Steam experience. You will be credited with points for past purchase, and word is: "The Points Shop is here to stay, now open all year round." Finally, they are also giving everyone a free sticker every day to encourage daily visits.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway
Jun 27, 2020, 08:45
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 27, 2020, 08:45
Jun 27, 2020, 08:45

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 21:33:
Jonjonz wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 06:39:
Not a single thing on my wishlist.

Just out of curiosity, can you give some examples of stuff you do have wishlisted? I've got 50 or so things on mine, and over half are on sale right now.

I can't answer for Jonjonz, but on my wishlist 1 think is not on sale (Cyberpunk) and the other 11 things are listed as "Soon" so upcoming games with no price yet. Point being, I don't use the wishlist to get notified for sales, but for when games get a price aka (are close to release)... I think lots of people are using the wishlist like this. Since for price you can check externally way better.

Jun 26, 2020, 21:33
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 21:33
Jun 26, 2020, 21:33

Jonjonz wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 06:39:

Just out of curiosity, can you give some examples of stuff you do have wishlisted? I've got 50 or so things on mine, and over half are on sale right now.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 26, 2020, 18:52
Kxmode

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 18:52
Jun 26, 2020, 18:52
 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 07:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 00:56:
J wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 23:35:
Whose bright idea was it to have the nice shiny gold frame a) cost 5000, and b) only last for 30 days?

Whose bright idea was it to have the nice shiny gold frame?

My... PRECIOUS.

He is seeking it, seeking it — all his thought is bent on it.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 26, 2020, 12:30
El Pit

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 12:30
Jun 26, 2020, 12:30
 El Pit

chickenboo wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 12:18:
Troubling thing is, EGS' exclusivity gambit may be working. "Screw it, I'll play it as a non-Steam game"

I think it has been said pretty often before: some people seem to think there is a good exclusivity and a bad exclusivity.

I don't get it and never will. Whatever. And I will buy the games where they are available but preferably from GOG.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jun 26, 2020, 12:18
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 12:18
Jun 26, 2020, 12:18

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 10:46:
Mordhaus wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 20:04:
It's the nature of people to pick sides.

And it's learning and intelligence to break past that. I still have some real beef with EGS. Love Steam overall, but EGS no doubt is the one bringing the most value to the buyer between those two currently. Steam reads the room though and is adjusting. EGS as we know is simply buying market share, which most of the time if perfectly legal if one likes it or not. I think I have every major launcher installed, I picked the side of choice, I picked the side that it isn't that hard to do. I'm just starting to look at GOG Galaxy and some 3rd Party Apps of possible one Front that sucks them all in.

Agreed, and while EGS may be buying mindshare with their discounts, those are real discounts: last sale EGS offered $10 off every game over $15, an unlimited amount of times; meanwhile Steam offers $5 on $30 spent as a one-time thing. And despite myself, I maintain my own silent petty boycott of EGS and bought three games from Steam last night despite their rather weak discounts of 20% or 30%.
It does feel true that we're seeing worsening Steam discounts (not that that's Valve's fault, it's the publisher's choice), but we need someone to peruse ITAD and determine if Steam discounts are factually worsening over time. Last time I looked at random titles on ITAD, it appeared that base prices are slowly rising while discount % remains the same, but I didn't do a longer analysis and just viewed a few titles.
Troubling thing is, EGS' exclusivity gambit may be working. I go to their storefront and immediately identify a half dozen games that look interesting, fresh, and locked to EGS, and part of me wants to say "Screw it, I'll play it as a non-Steam game" while the other part says no continue to boycott. Meanwhile I look at the Steam store front and I'd estimate 19/20 titles don't interest me, or I already ruled out long ago, or I already own... EGS is very good at sniping the appealing new titles.

Jun 26, 2020, 10:46
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 10:46
Jun 26, 2020, 10:46

It's the nature of people to pick sides.

And it's learning and intelligence to break past that. I still have some real beef with EGS. Love Steam overall, but EGS no doubt is the one bringing the most value to the buyer between those two currently. Steam reads the room though and is adjusting. EGS as we know is simply buying market share, which most of the time if perfectly legal if one likes it or not. I think I have every major launcher installed, I picked the side of choice, I picked the side that it isn't that hard to do. I'm just starting to look at GOG Galaxy and some 3rd Party Apps of possible one Front that sucks them all in.

Jun 26, 2020, 08:36
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 08:36
Jun 26, 2020, 08:36

Drayth wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 19:32:
Was surprised I was only missing 2 ArmA III DLC, I haven't played it in a while (no shade M. Beaver). Snagged those on sale. Interestingly one of those 2 was in a bundle, and the bundle was at a higher discount. Since Steam lets you buy bundles with only charging you for the titles not already in your library I got a further discount than just buying it separately.

Also grabbed Into the Radius from wish list. A STALKER'ish VR title.

Youre lucky. My mind read that you were missing 3 ArmA 2 DLCs.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jun 26, 2020, 07:14
El Pit

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 07:14
Jun 26, 2020, 07:14
 El Pit

Kxmode wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 00:56:
Whose bright idea was it to have the nice shiny gold frame a) cost 5000, and b) only last for 30 days?

Whose bright idea was it to have the nice shiny gold frame?

My... PRECIOUS.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jun 26, 2020, 06:39
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 06:39
Jun 26, 2020, 06:39

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jun 26, 2020, 02:28
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 02:28
Jun 26, 2020, 02:28

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 21:03:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 19:42:
Outward is not an MMO, it's a sandbox RPG that feels a lot like Morrowind both aesthetically and mechanically. The defining feature is that you don't die and have to just reload a save when you lose all your HP, you pass out and wake up in a semi-randomly chosen other location, losing some time and maybe some items. I.e. if bandits defeat you, they'll take you back to their camp and hold you prisoner, so then you need to escape. It also supports two-player co-op.

Thanks for that. I've seen some people complain the world, whilst nice, is fairly devoid of actual stuff to do. Would you agree or not? I guess, ultimately is it worth $15US? I'll watch some gameplay of it. Have you grabbed the new DLC for it?

It is a bit on the empty side, but that said it's an interesting take on an RPG, including survival issues. The need to bandage wounds or risk bleeding out after a fight. Curing poisons or diseases before they 'kill' you. Eating, drinking and sleeping or suffering increasingly debilitating consequences. Have to be concerned with the weather. Walking around in the snow you need the right clothing, or need potions to negate the negative effects or you'll freeze. Hot weather you have to mitigate the same way or eventually it'll get you too. Have to consider the tent you buy, bigger is more comfortable, but easier to spot so you get interrupted rest more frequently. When you DO rest, you have to decide how much time is devoted to actually resting, how much to repairing and how much to keeping watch for bandits/predators.

There are story missions that have major impacts if you fail or ignore them for too long. For example, you're warned of an attack on your home town. If you take out 3 leaders of a bandit group, you stop the attack. If you fail or wander off to do something else in the meantime, the home town is destroyed and inaccessible.

It has a lot of REALLY cool ideas, but the end makeup of them is honestly a little weak. I personally think it's worth $15 just for the experience. That said, haven't tried the DLC.

Oh! And the co-op... it's weirdly made. It works, but only the host player can save. Whoever is playing with you as a guest, cannot play that save without you. At all. They'd have to start their own private game to play without you.

Jun 26, 2020, 00:56
Kxmode

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 00:56
Jun 26, 2020, 00:56
 Kxmode

Whose bright idea was it to have the nice shiny gold frame? Well, obviously the shiny gold's.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 26, 2020, 00:14
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 26, 2020, 00:14
Jun 26, 2020, 00:14

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 21:11:
I dislike Steam for various reasons but I don't hate it.

I wish Steam were 'slimmer'. It just seems full of gimmicks. Store front, rights management, some forum support, and workshops. I really hate the "gamification" of emojis and other little customizations.
Say what you will, at least Camacho recognized he should listen to experts.

Jun 25, 2020, 23:48
Cutter

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 23:48
Jun 25, 2020, 23:48
 Cutter

I checked out Pine for an hour and enh - removed and refunded. It's like WoW for tweens or the like. If you were 12 you'd probably love it but way too cutesy for me.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 25, 2020, 23:35
J
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 23:35
Jun 25, 2020, 23:35
J

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Jun 25, 2020, 21:11
Cutter

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 21:11
Jun 25, 2020, 21:11
 Cutter

Drayth wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 19:51:
The dislike for Steam baffles me.

The company who gives unprecedented mod support for their games (HL:A included). Hires from the community. Brought the digital game store front to the masses. Gave office tours to fans. They seem to get blamed by some for their success. Like they forced some imaginary monopoly on gaming. Everyone was free to compete with them, it just took this long for another major player to enter the fray. And compare that company's tactics, and features focus to Steam's... so weird.

It's the nature of people to pick sides. Steam is the biggest store and they decide the status quo, because of that, people are going to dislike them. As an example, I dislike EGS because I really hate Tim Sweeney and his outlook on the video game market. I recently took some free games from them anyway, but I still despise Tim Sweeney. I'm certain that people despise Steam for similar reasons.

I dislike Steam for various reasons but I don't hate it. Similarly I don't like EGS, mainly for because of their exclusives policy, and yes, Sweeny is a douchebag. I will not support them financially until they end the anti-consumer exclusive bullshit but I'm not above taking their free games - especially if it comes out of Sweeny's pocket. I'd honestly prefer to see more devs publish their own stuff and cut out the middleman entirely. Just go back to the old days where we download and backup our own clients. No online digital connection needed - beyond said download - no tracking, etc. Just 'here's your money', 'there's your game' and we're done.

Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 25, 2020, 21:06
Cutter

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 21:06
Jun 25, 2020, 21:06
 Cutter

Just spent 2 hours with Gloomhaven and I really like it. Didn't know it was based on a board game. Yeah, it's fairly early on in it's EA but it's solid. And looking at the reviews and dev feedback they seem to be making progress very well and it's all been very well received. I'll be keeping it for sure. Has a level editor too! So that should make for quite a bit of longevity for this game. Off to try Pine now.

Jun 25, 2020, 21:03
Cutter

Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 21:03
Jun 25, 2020, 21:03
 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 19:42:
Outward is not an MMO, it's a sandbox RPG that feels a lot like Morrowind both aesthetically and mechanically. The defining feature is that you don't die and have to just reload a save when you lose all your HP, you pass out and wake up in a semi-randomly chosen other location, losing some time and maybe some items. I.e. if bandits defeat you, they'll take you back to their camp and hold you prisoner, so then you need to escape. It also supports two-player co-op.

Thanks for that. I've seen some people complain the world, whilst nice, is fairly devoid of actual stuff to do. Would you agree or not? I guess, ultimately is it worth $15US? I'll watch some gameplay of it. Have you grabbed the new DLC for it?

Jun 25, 2020, 20:04
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 20:04
Jun 25, 2020, 20:04

Drayth wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 19:51:

The company who gives unprecedented mod support for their games (HL:A included). Hires from the community. Brought the digital game store front to the masses. Gave office tours to fans. They seem to get blamed by some for their success. Like they forced some imaginary monopoly on gaming. Everyone was free to compete with them, it just took this long for another major player to enter the fray. And compare that company's tactics, and features focus to Steam's... so weird.

It's the nature of people to pick sides. Steam is the biggest store and they decide the status quo, because of that, people are going to dislike them. As an example, I dislike EGS because I really hate Tim Sweeney and his outlook on the video game market. I recently took some free games from them anyway, but I still despise Tim Sweeney. I'm certain that people despise Steam for similar reasons.

Jun 25, 2020, 19:51
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 19:51
Jun 25, 2020, 19:51

Jun 25, 2020, 19:42
Re: Steam Summer Sale Underway Jun 25, 2020, 19:42
Jun 25, 2020, 19:42

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older