Out of the Blue

Okay, so the reception to the Game Key Giveaway for Supporters has been lukewarm at best. I understand that arguing over free games is more engaging than receiving them, but here's a reminder that we have a whole bunch of game keys to hand out courtesy of Dark. So if you are interested, hop on over and add a comment with the games from the list that you'd be interested in winning.

Obituary: Li Zhensheng, photographer of China's Cultural Revolution, dies. Thanks Max.

Links Giveaway
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 8, 2020, 11:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2020, 11:51
Jul 8, 2020, 11:51

So, I have been re-reading the Foundation Trilogy -- it has been a long time... I'm half way through the third book and I must adjust my evaluation. It is entirely possible for someone to make a tv mini-series to cover this material. It isn't nearly as intricate and complex as I remembered, certainly less so than say "Dune". I still think it is an excellent story, but a good reenactment should not be too difficult.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 26, 2020, 21:17
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 21:17
Jun 26, 2020, 21:17

Greentiger wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 23:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 13:30:
Just caught the trailer for Apple TV's "Foundation" series. It was okay, but it didn't increase my hopes for a quality enactment....

I'm hopeful. I never had the patience for the books, but I am eagerly anticipating the mini-series (or whatever).

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 15:26:
Live in HI now. It's the halfway house for those who formerly lived in Japan.
It's partly why I'm often the last to comment in a thread: by the time I get on in the evening, everyone else has already gone to bed. That, and I'm just prolific.

I would love to live in Hawaii. Have been thinking more and more about moving there.
Housing is tight and expensive to be sure. And going anywhere beyond the island means a flight. Food is expensive too, and salaries for many industries are below mainland levels. Call it the "Hawaii tax." But the weather is great (obviously). I'm a runner and it's nice to be able to just go nearly any day of the year when I feel like it. That said, Mr. Tact is correct: I've known a lot of people from the mainland who have moved here only to move back a year or two later because they get island fever. So you have to find a reason to stay beyond the weather: surfing, snorkeling, sailing, hiking, Pacific island culture, etc.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 26, 2020, 17:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 17:21
Jun 26, 2020, 17:21

Greentiger wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 17:15:
Maybe that's not the right word. I attempted to read it, never hooked me--read the synopses of all the books and it just seems like it's the same themes over and over again. I get it's considered one of the greats, it just never hooked me.
That happens. It's been a while since I've read it, I should probably read it again soon. IIRC, it is a bit of a slow start. So yeah, it might be tough to get started. As for it being the same themes, it is one coherent story told over three novels. In fact, it is effectively one story. It wouldn't be unreasonably to think of it as a single novel split into three books.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 26, 2020, 17:15
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 17:15
Jun 26, 2020, 17:15

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 16:36:
Cyclical? What an odd choice of descriptor for the Foundation Novels. I'm not even sure how it applies. And what do you mean "as the books seemed"? What are you basing this idea on, I thought you hadn't read them?

Maybe that's not the right word. I attempted to read it, never hooked me--read the synopses of all the books and it just seems like it's the same themes over and over again. I get it's considered one of the greats, it just never hooked me.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 16:36:
I have to say I was amazed at the Lord of the Ring films (haven't seen The Hobbit films). It had been years since I'd read the novels, and I did noticed a couple of differences, but overall Jackson and his team did a fantastic job. If we can get that level of quality and accuracy in the Foundation Series, I'll be getting the DVDs.

The films, as films, are great--but overall I just like the books better. I'm not super thrilled on how they did the battle of Helm's Deep but it wasn't bad. The Hobbit films were just dumb IMO--it felt like they were just milking it. It was nice to see Radagast though, but I really did not think it needed to be 3 films.
Say what you will, at least Camacho recognized he should listen to experts.

Jun 26, 2020, 16:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 16:36
Jun 26, 2020, 16:36

Greentiger wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 15:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 09:03:
Well, without having read it, I'm sure you'll find the mini-series just fine.
Perhaps. I try not told hold one interpretation against another anyway--but if it seems as cyclical as the books seemed, my hopes are mixed.
Cyclical? What an odd choice of descriptor for the Foundation Novels. I'm not even sure how it applies. And what do you mean "as the books seemed"? What are you basing this idea on, I thought you hadn't read them?

Like, to me, Dune (the book) was just OK, but the mini-series was much more entertaining (the movie was all right too)..
Count me among those who considered the original Dune novel as the best science fiction novel ever. It wasn't until the sixth or so time reading it that I didn't find something new I had missed in previous readings or something I didn't fully understand and had an "ah ha" moment. None of the visual media created to date have done more than a fair job of capturing the depth contained in novel.

Likewise, I much prefer the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit as the books and find the movies decent
I have to say I was amazed at the Lord of the Ring films (haven't seen The Hobbit films). It had been years since I'd read the novels, and I did noticed a couple of differences, but overall Jackson and his team did a fantastic job. If we can get that level of quality and accuracy in the Foundation Series, I'll be getting the DVDs.

Jun 26, 2020, 15:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 15:46
Jun 26, 2020, 15:46

Perhaps. I try not told hold one interpretation against another anyway--but if it seems as cyclical as the books seemed, my hopes are mixed.
Like, to me, Dune (the book) was just OK, but the mini-series was much more entertaining (the movie was all right too).
Likewise, I much prefer the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit as the books and find the movies decent.

Hope you have been saving up, it is expensive. And I hope you have the mentality for it -- maybe I am just a one in a million odd ball but even as a kid (lived there from 6-10) I felt a little bit "trapped" living on an island in the middle of the ocean. And I'm pretty sure I'd still feel that way. Which is kind of odd, I'm not claustrophobic nor do I have other traits of that nature. The weather is insanely good though.

Well HI doesn't seem to be too bad, it's a lot like AK to be honest except property, though a condo there costs less than a house here. The weather and the day/night cycle is the draw to me. I almost quit my job to stay there when I first visited.

Jun 26, 2020, 09:03
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2020, 09:03
Jun 26, 2020, 09:03

Just caught the trailer for Apple TV's "Foundation" series. It was okay, but it didn't increase my hopes for a quality enactment....
I'm hopeful. I never had the patience for the books, but I am eagerly anticipating the mini-series (or whatever).

It's partly why I'm often the last to comment in a thread: by the time I get on in the evening, everyone else has already gone to bed. That, and I'm just prolific.
I would love to live in Hawaii. Have been thinking more and more about moving there.
Hope you have been saving up, it is expensive. And I hope you have the mentality for it -- maybe I am just a one in a million odd ball but even as a kid (lived there from 6-10) I felt a little bit "trapped" living on an island in the middle of the ocean. And I'm pretty sure I'd still feel that way. Which is kind of odd, I'm not claustrophobic nor do I have other traits of that nature. The weather is insanely good though.

Jun 25, 2020, 23:46
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 23:46
Jun 25, 2020, 23:46

Jun 25, 2020, 15:51
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 15:51
Jun 25, 2020, 15:51
 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 08:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 06:55:
1badmf wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 21:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 14:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 13:04:
I was dying to try durian when I was in Singapore, but didn't have the chance in part because I was there only about 18 hours. Every shop has durian biscuits for tourists, but I couldn't find actual durian anywhere.

I hear it's delicious, and figured it was going to be my best opportunity to try it.

It's really good. Cloyingly sweet, so best in small doses.

it's sweet!??! i grew up around it all my life, could never summon the courage to try it cuzza the smell. i always suspected the taste was vastly different from the smell because of how much my extended family love it, but, super sweet? i always suspected like a savoriness, something along those lines. color me blown away.

arent you married to a japanese lady? didn't know it was big in japan.
Oh, yeah, but I don't live there anymore. And durian isn't popular there anyway. The stinky Japanese food everyone complains about is natto. I live in the tropics now, so durian available seasonally. And I think there's a type of breadfruit that's more starchy than sweet, so you're not totally off base. There are several similar fruits, and I don't eat them enough to keep them straight.

For some reason I always just assumed you lived outside Chicago or Kansas City or somewhere similar. No clue why.

That has to get frustrating. I remember when I lived in Seattle - the internet largely shut down at 9pm and I'd be there refreshing, hoping for anything interesting. As we've aged, Blues gets quiet after 5pm EST now, too. Not bad when you're on EST, but other time zones have you wondering where the hell everyone went, haha.

Jun 25, 2020, 15:35
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 15:35
Jun 25, 2020, 15:35

Cutter wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 22:53:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 14:40:
Can you handle bell peppers?

Ruh? Yeah, I eat them all the time. Why would bell peppers be a problem?

For people with that bitter gene, I often hear that bell peppers taste awful to them. For my part, I love them.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 25, 2020, 15:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 15:26
Jun 25, 2020, 15:26

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 08:37:
I was dying to try durian when I was in Singapore, but didn't have the chance in part because I was there only about 18 hours. Every shop has durian biscuits for tourists, but I couldn't find actual durian anywhere.

I hear it's delicious, and figured it was going to be my best opportunity to try it.

it's sweet!??! i grew up around it all my life, could never summon the courage to try it cuzza the smell. i always suspected the taste was vastly different from the smell because of how much my extended family love it, but, super sweet? i always suspected like a savoriness, something along those lines. color me blown away.

Oh, yeah, but I don't live there anymore. And durian isn't popular there anyway. The stinky Japanese food everyone complains about is natto. I live in the tropics now, so durian available seasonally. And I think there's a type of breadfruit that's more starchy than sweet, so you're not totally off base. There are several similar fruits, and I don't eat them enough to keep them straight.

For some reason I always just assumed you lived outside Chicago or Kansas City or somewhere similar. No clue why.

Jun 25, 2020, 08:37
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 08:37
Jun 25, 2020, 08:37
 Beamer

Jun 25, 2020, 06:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2020, 06:55
Jun 25, 2020, 06:55

Jun 24, 2020, 22:53
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 22:53
Jun 24, 2020, 22:53
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 14:40:
Can you handle bell peppers?

Ruh? Yeah, I eat them all the time. Why would bell peppers be a problem?
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 24, 2020, 21:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 21:26
Jun 24, 2020, 21:26

Jun 24, 2020, 20:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 20:25
Jun 24, 2020, 20:25

Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 17:59:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 15:08:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 14:46:
"I understand that arguing over free games is more engaging than receiving them"

Mwahaha

The game within the games.

Also, I see you updated your avatar, sir.

Yes, been thinking about the meaning of it lately with all the things going on in the world

Nice choice!

Jun 24, 2020, 17:59
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 17:59
Jun 24, 2020, 17:59

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 15:08:
"I understand that arguing over free games is more engaging than receiving them"

Mwahaha

Yes, been thinking about the meaning of it lately with all the things going on in the world

"I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, ‘Where's the self-help section?’ She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose." - George Carlin

Jun 24, 2020, 15:48
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 15:48
Jun 24, 2020, 15:48

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 15:11:
Segway, personal vehicle known for high-profile crashes, ending production.

This puts our chair-ridden Wall-E lifestyles in jeopardy.

Another company will rise up to cradle our decrepit/blob-like bodies eventually.

Ironically because of the pandemic, I've been unable to do my normal workouts, so I've gone back to running every other day, 3-4 miles usually, with some sprints and other footwork exercises worked in. I've also been pretty much avoiding all takeout and at-work shared food, so I'm as slim as I've been in years.

Jun 24, 2020, 15:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 15:11
Jun 24, 2020, 15:11

Segway, personal vehicle known for high-profile crashes, ending production.

This puts our chair-ridden Wall-E lifestyles in jeopardy.

Jun 24, 2020, 15:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2020, 15:08
Jun 24, 2020, 15:08

Mwahaha

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older