Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After "Me Too" Allegations

Famed game designer Chris Avellone is accused of predatory sexual behavior a screed on twitter. This generated a couple of tweets in corroboration, including one from Monolith writer Samantha Wallschlaeger. Chris offers a couple of apologetic tweets that appear to be in response to this, but he does not directly confirm or deny any of the alleged details (thanks ResetEra). Gamasutra tweets a statement from Paradox Interactive saying that none of Avellone's work will be part of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2: "Bloodlines 2 publisher Paradox Interactive has been in contact to explain that Avellone was only 'briefly' involved in the project, and that 'none of his contributions remain in the game that Hardsuit Labs is continuing to develop'." And in this tweet Techland announces they are parting ways with Chris, who was contributing to the story of Dying Light 2:
We treat matters of sexual harassment and disrespect with utmost care, and have no tolerance for such behaviors - it applies to both of our employees as well as external consultants, Chris among them. This is why, together with Chris Avellone, we've decided to end our cooperation.

We are still working towards delivering the experience we promised in dying light 2. Both our narrative team, which Chris supported, and the whole development team of dying light to continue progressing efficiently, according to the plan revised at the beginning of the year.
View : : :
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 23, 2020, 15:24
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 15:24
Jun 23, 2020, 15:24

Numinar wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 00:36:

My dream of building the ultimate Into the Breach fan site will probably have to stay up in my brain for now.

Well, games comprised of the efforts of large teams. Avellone's contribution was fairly minor, IMO. The genius of that game lies with the gameplay designed by Ma and Davis. Baby/bathwater.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 23, 2020, 14:33
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 14:33
Jun 23, 2020, 14:33

Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 14:10:
The race debate is off-topic for this thread and going nowhere productive. Plenty of other opportunities to discuss that lately so let's stick to the allegations here.

Totally valid point.
I'm not deleting my post, because it was in response to something odd, but I'll not respond to anything further to keep us on topic.

Jun 23, 2020, 14:23
Jivaro

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 14:23
Jun 23, 2020, 14:23
 Jivaro

I ate two whole bags of popcorn while reading this thread.

Jun 23, 2020, 14:10
Verno

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 14:10
Jun 23, 2020, 14:10
 Verno

The race debate is off-topic for this thread and going nowhere productive. Plenty of other opportunities to discuss that lately so let's stick to the allegations here.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jun 23, 2020, 13:22
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 13:22
Jun 23, 2020, 13:22

Icewind wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 12:33:
Dacron wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 11:46:

"You could slap your secretary on the ass and she'd find it funny! These days, when you tell a woman that she's gained too much weight for you to date but you'd certainly give her a roll in the hay, she gets offended. When you tell a black man that your grandpappy used to own people like him, he gets angry. Why can't we go back to the good old days when white men could say and do whatever they wanted and everyone else had to laugh or else? We need to go back to that! Make America Great Again. For white people to not have to be polite or respectful, yet everyone else needs to towards us!"

You're buying into the stereotype that it's just a bunch of Archie Bunker types wanting to exercise 1950's white privilege, but there are just as many people of color who earnestly desire that as well.

Back in the 90s the guy ruining our receiving department was a black man who was frequently rubbing up against female employees and complimenting them on their bodies. They complained for years but he was never fired. Only when he retired and they replaced him did that end. The black guy who drove the delivery truck and dropped off our shipments was even worse. He'd call the hispanic workers in the store the "W-word".

One of the problems with folks like you is that you buy into the liberal-driven idea that all non-white people are as pure as the driven snow, but if you ever lived in a ghetto, or worked in a store located in one, you'd know better.

This is an absolutely baffling response. You have to really, really be convinced that you're a victim and oppressed in order to think that anyone, anywhere, says that non-white people are as pure as driven snow.

It's such a strange, odd thing. Do you watch a lot of YouTube videos? Do you get your news from Breitbart or PragerU? Because you're responding to a ridiculous strawman that no one believes, but which far right outlets keep arguing against to keep you outraged and panicked over monsters under your closet.

Jun 23, 2020, 13:12
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 13:12
Jun 23, 2020, 13:12

You have already been canceled. Too bad so sad. I didn't even read the wrong quote but Its enough for me to hope you get fired from your job before any actual proof comes out.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:59
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:59
Jun 23, 2020, 12:59

"You could slap your secretary on the ass and she'd find it funny! These days, when you tell a woman that she's gained too much weight for you to date but you'd certainly give her a roll in the hay, she gets offended. When you tell a black man that your grandpappy used to own people like him, he gets angry. Why can't we go back to the good old days when white men could say and do whatever they wanted and everyone else had to laugh or else? We need to go back to that! Make America Great Again. For white people to not have to be polite or respectful, yet everyone else needs to towards us!"

You're buying into the stereotype that it's just a bunch of Archie Bunker types wanting to exercise 1950's white privilege, but there are just as many people of color who earnestly desire that as well.

Back in the 90s the guy ruining our receiving department was a black man who was frequently rubbing up against female employees and complimenting them on their bodies. They complained for years but he was never fired. Only when he retired and they replaced him did that end. The black guy who drove the delivery truck and dropped off our shipments was even worse. He'd call the hispanic workers in the store the "W-word".

One of the problems with folks like you is that you buy into the liberal-driven idea that all non-white people are as pure as the driven snow, but if you ever lived in a ghetto, or worked in a store located in one, you'd know better.

I'm confused. Did you mean to quote and reply to me, and messed up (what you quoted me as saying I did not...), or are you replying to someone else on the comment chain with the quote chain messed up ? I mean, if you're gonna tell me the problem with "folks like me" is why not do it under something I posted ??
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:52
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:52
Jun 23, 2020, 12:52

idea that all non-white people are as pure as the driven snow

There's nothing wrong with benevolent or positive prejudice... how dare you suggest such a thing!

Jun 23, 2020, 12:50
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:50
Jun 23, 2020, 12:50

GothicWizard wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:56:
Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?
Agreed. In fact, she admitted that he had been drinking heavily, too. Therefore, she is also guilty of inappropriate conduct with an intoxicated person. Right? Or does his intoxication not count? Are you suggesting that a man is responsible for his actions while drunk, but a woman is not? You're saying a woman is not capable of being as responsible as a man?

What's wrong with you?

Jun 23, 2020, 12:45
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:45
Jun 23, 2020, 12:45

I'm now totally convinced that Blue has a server bot that deletes Cutter's posts in every controversial thread.

if(comment.reported >= 10 || comment.username === 'Cutter') { removePost(comment.id); }

Jun 23, 2020, 12:33
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:33
Jun 23, 2020, 12:33

Jun 23, 2020, 12:13
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:13
Jun 23, 2020, 12:13

"I like to assume the company did investigate the claims"

This entails speaking to the accuser and then firing the guy, there are no "investigations" anymore...there is no "getting to the truth" concepts.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:05
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:05
Jun 23, 2020, 12:05

Quinn wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 11:44:
Due process starts to mean less and less.

That could be true, but also consider this, from our POV we really don't know shit. We have a report, I like to assume the company did investigate the claims as any company should then made a determination. We will only ever know a little and we don't even know how accurate. So as due process may seem to mean less, we are sitting behind a keyboard acting all Monday Morning QB ON EVERYTHING. We are as guilty as the media etc in things like this.

removed
Jun 23, 2020, 12:02
removed Jun 23, 2020, 12:02
Jun 23, 2020, 12:02

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 23, 2020, 12:21.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jun 23, 2020, 12:01
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:01
Jun 23, 2020, 12:01

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:16:

You missed the point entirely. Off-color jokes (within reason), compliments, and asking someone out all fall under reasonable social interactions and don't fall into the blatantly negative category you provided examples for above. The problem is that there are too many morons that can't read the room and totally miss the mark on the target audience. That's why nobody with half a brain does that anymore. It's a good way to lose a job, get doxxed, death threats, etc. People are too stupid and sensitive these days.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:47
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 11:47
Jun 23, 2020, 11:47

Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?

I didn't read it as defending or justifying -- more that it needs to be taken into consideration. She made it clear in her tweets that she did drink a lot. So did he. People make bad decisions while drinking and details are not always accurate when recalled. Humans are notoriously bad witnesses even while sober.

No one knows what happened once the doors closed. Is he a creep and did something absurdly inappropriate most likely happen? Absolutely. Our justice system is supposed to be fair and impartial and in order to do that all factors need to be taken into consideration.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:46
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 11:46
Jun 23, 2020, 11:46

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:16:
WaltC wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:05:
Brynjolf wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 08:07:
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

It's still relevant legally--but not of course in the kangaroo court of liberal politics, where only the accusation counts, and the only evidence needed is the accusation itself. Glad I grew up in a far more sane epoch...;) I even remember a time when you could tell a female an off-color joke and she'd laugh with you, imagine that--these days it's almost like complimenting a female or asking her out is some sort of "abuse"...;) Socially destructive madness.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

/s, clearly. Crazy times we live in.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:44
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 11:44
Jun 23, 2020, 11:44

Due process starts to mean less and less. Whatever all of you fine examples think (I mean feel, of course), how about we all reserve our judgment and let the judicial system work its charm.

Truly I thought our society moved past the pitchfork mentality. Man, was I wrong -- fate had Zuckerberg and his ilk up its sleeve.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:07
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 11:07
Jun 23, 2020, 11:07

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2020, 23:44:
MoreLuckThanSkill used "apparently" and "seem." Really now, people need to stop translating words like "apparently," "seem," and "indicating" into factual claims. We're all making guesses and posting opinions, so I think it's inappropriate to ask "what is wrong with you?" Please put down the pitchforks.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jun 23, 2020, 10:57
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 10:57
Jun 23, 2020, 10:57

Acleacius wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 00:18:
It's clear, Paradox and Techland have investigated this, finding it more than credible enough to fired him, completely erasing his work in one game.
Pretending this is just some random injustice perpetrated on an innocent male is bullshitliy ignorant or intentionally psychotic.

Exactly, well said. Deserves repeating.
-Harlequin
Admin of Cyberpunk 2077 Online News
https://cyberpunk2077online.news/
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older