Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After "Me Too" Allegations

Famed game designer Chris Avellone is accused of predatory sexual behavior a screed on twitter. This generated a couple of tweets in corroboration, including one from Monolith writer Samantha Wallschlaeger. Chris offers a couple of apologetic tweets that appear to be in response to this, but he does not directly confirm or deny any of the alleged details (thanks ResetEra). Gamasutra tweets a statement from Paradox Interactive saying that none of Avellone's work will be part of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2: "Bloodlines 2 publisher Paradox Interactive has been in contact to explain that Avellone was only 'briefly' involved in the project, and that 'none of his contributions remain in the game that Hardsuit Labs is continuing to develop'." And in this tweet Techland announces they are parting ways with Chris, who was contributing to the story of Dying Light 2:
We treat matters of sexual harassment and disrespect with utmost care, and have no tolerance for such behaviors - it applies to both of our employees as well as external consultants, Chris among them. This is why, together with Chris Avellone, we've decided to end our cooperation.

We are still working towards delivering the experience we promised in dying light 2. Both our narrative team, which Chris supported, and the whole development team of dying light to continue progressing efficiently, according to the plan revised at the beginning of the year.
View : : :
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 23, 2020, 21:27
Kxmode

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 21:27
Jun 23, 2020, 21:27
 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 12:05:
Quinn wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 11:44:
Due process starts to mean less and less.

That could be true, but also consider this, from our POV we really don't know shit. We have a report, I like to assume the company did investigate the claims as any company should then made a determination. We will only ever know a little and we don't even know how accurate. So as due process may seem to mean less, we are sitting behind a keyboard acting all Monday Morning QB ON EVERYTHING. We are as guilty as the media etc in things like this.

Precisely the point I am making. Justice becomes warped when it based on a guilty-upon-proven-innocent premise. Since she chose Twitter instead of a courtroom to hear her case, then the burden of proof is on her. Only "talking" about it isn't evidence.

In other words, if you brought her case before a judge with no evidence and proof, and based everything on hearsay, the judge would dismiss the case. The same should happen here.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 23, 2020, 21:24
Kxmode

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 21:24
Jun 23, 2020, 21:24
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 11:07:
GothicWizard wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:56:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2020, 23:44:
MoreLuckThanSkill used "apparently" and "seem." Really now, people need to stop translating words like "apparently," "seem," and "indicating" into factual claims. We're all making guesses and posting opinions, so I think it's inappropriate to ask "what is wrong with you?" Please put down the pitchforks.

Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?

To make this abundantly clear, I refer to individuals who take their grievances on Twitter with no evidence. Very quickly, the discussion becomes a one-sided she-said or he-said situation. In legal proceedings, lawyers bring their case before a court who always rules on the evidence provided. It is NEVER decided by what one side or the other says; otherwise, the facts are nothing more than rumor and innuendo.

It is genuinely taxing that you all keep taking up the same position repeatedly. In Alec Holowka's case last year, I said that making a baseless accusation of rape "in the court of public opinion," . . . "will destroy a person's reputation and career, regardless of the truth." My prediction that he would commit suicide happened. If you still don't understand the point I'm making, watch the film "Disclosure."

In it, Michael Douglas's character gets accused of sexual harassment by a vindictive individual. After he worked up the backbone to stand up and claim his innocence, nobody believed him because "he's the guy." It forced him to go to lengths to gather evidence of his innocence. Before accomplishing that, the court of public opinion had turned against him because the mob mentality had decided he was guilty. In a 180-degree converse, Chris may have, under pressure, admit guilt because that path is easier to travel on than the long-drawn-out ordeal of social media mudslinging and reputation destruction.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 23, 2020, 20:23
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 20:23
Jun 23, 2020, 20:23

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 19:00:
dizave wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 18:44:
Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 18:11:
No one seems to really be harassing him.
The fear seems overblown.

You are actually right dude. I thought this was a joke until I clicked. People are standing up for him... all of the people are standing up for him. I'm surprised, but if you think about it, this guy is responsible for some of our favorite shit. I actually dislike that apology he wrote. It made him sound like he is running for freaking political office. How is this guy fired from literally all his gigs before any chance to defend himself?

If you look at the accusations against Angry Joe yesterday people are standing up for him too. Like him or hate him Joe is the first person I've seen stand up for himself and get legal help before he starts apologizing for nonsense.

I think it's a factor of a few things:

1) Gamers definitely err on the side of the male, because so many are men, and there's a fear of this happening. Not all gamers, but largely
2) Especially for Chris, whose contributions are in more esteemed and/or niche products, not giant blockbusters (not a knock. I count several games he worked on as among the best ever.) His work is well loved, but he's also really only known by a certain group (heck, I didn't even know he worked on FTL, which is a top 3 game for me.)
3) The accusation wasn't super clear or easy to find, meaning fewer people probably really read it
4) He didn't really give a great apology, but he also didn't give some really terrible defense of himself
5) Repercussions were swift. There's no back and forth debating what should happen as this picks up steam. Accusations were made, people in charge seem to find them credible, decision was made

People can come back from this. Not immediately defending yourself in a way that makes it seem that you don't understand the complaints is part of it. His tweets, from what little I saw, seemed sad, not angry or defensive. Just sad. That can be built off of. We'll see where it goes.

Most of these men come back. Chris's chances are good. Most of these guys apologize, make some efforts, and corporations view that as good enough. Look for him to return in one to two years.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Jun 23, 2020, 19:00
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 19:00
Jun 23, 2020, 19:00

dizave wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 18:44:

You are actually right dude. I thought this was a joke until I clicked. People are standing up for him... all of the people are standing up for him. I'm surprised, but if you think about it, this guy is responsible for some of our favorite shit. I actually dislike that apology he wrote. It made him sound like he is running for freaking political office. How is this guy fired from literally all his gigs before any chance to defend himself?

If you look at the accusations against Angry Joe yesterday people are standing up for him too. Like him or hate him Joe is the first person I've seen stand up for himself and get legal help before he starts apologizing for nonsense.

I think it's a factor of a few things:

1) Gamers definitely err on the side of the male, because so many are men, and there's a fear of this happening. Not all gamers, but largely
2) Especially for Chris, whose contributions are in more esteemed and/or niche products, not giant blockbusters (not a knock. I count several games he worked on as among the best ever.) His work is well loved, but he's also really only known by a certain group (heck, I didn't even know he worked on FTL, which is a top 3 game for me.)
3) The accusation wasn't super clear or easy to find, meaning fewer people probably really read it
4) He didn't really give a great apology, but he also didn't give some really terrible defense of himself
5) Repercussions were swift. There's no back and forth debating what should happen as this picks up steam. Accusations were made, people in charge seem to find them credible, decision was made

People can come back from this. Not immediately defending yourself in a way that makes it seem that you don't understand the complaints is part of it. His tweets, from what little I saw, seemed sad, not angry or defensive. Just sad. That can be built off of. We'll see where it goes.

Jun 23, 2020, 18:44
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:44
Jun 23, 2020, 18:44

Jun 23, 2020, 18:18
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:18
Jun 23, 2020, 18:18

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 17:22:
Actually, let's look at Strider's view on rape in the past:
Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 00:33:
Re: Yes, so people should be prohibited from working for the rest of their lives for bad judgement.

No matter how drunk or high I have been in my life I have never made jokes about raping or abusing children. Much less posted them on a platform for the whole world to see. Defend this POS all you want but in my book if you ever joke about that there is no redemption. Might be harsh, might be wrong, but that is my opinion. I think he is a good director and enjoyed previous films such as Slither but can't respect him as a person and don't think Disney should have any loyalty and stick by him. I think everyone should have a chance to recover from bad judgement and the mistakes of youth but for me this is unacceptable. Appreciate your point though.

So joking about rape means you should never work again and there is no redemption, but commit rape, and well, who are we to judge? We're no saints!
Wait, I thought you said you *weren't* a trial lawyer.
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Jun 23, 2020, 18:14
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:14
Jun 23, 2020, 18:14

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 16:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 16:16:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 14:23:
I ate two whole bags of popcorn while reading this thread.
If you had made it a drinking game, you'd be dead.

I have a drinking game where I drink every time someone makes a joke about drinking games.

The question is, am I drinking for your post, or your post AND my post?
Sounds like a double to me.
Your choice is clear.

Jun 23, 2020, 18:11
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:11

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 17:48:
Are we supposed to harass him until he suicides too?
If that’s how you roll.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:11

Jun 23, 2020, 18:04
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 18:04
Jun 23, 2020, 18:04

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 17:48:

No don't do that.

Jun 23, 2020, 17:48
Prez

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 17:48
Jun 23, 2020, 17:48
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 23, 2020, 17:22
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 17:22
Jun 23, 2020, 17:22

Actually, let's look at Strider's view on rape in the past:
Strider83 wrote on Aug 26, 2018, 00:33:
Re: Yes, so people should be prohibited from working for the rest of their lives for bad judgement.

No matter how drunk or high I have been in my life I have never made jokes about raping or abusing children. Much less posted them on a platform for the whole world to see. Defend this POS all you want but in my book if you ever joke about that there is no redemption. Might be harsh, might be wrong, but that is my opinion. I think he is a good director and enjoyed previous films such as Slither but can't respect him as a person and don't think Disney should have any loyalty and stick by him. I think everyone should have a chance to recover from bad judgement and the mistakes of youth but for me this is unacceptable. Appreciate your point though.

So joking about rape means you should never work again and there is no redemption, but commit rape, and well, who are we to judge? We're no saints!

Jun 23, 2020, 17:13
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 17:13
Jun 23, 2020, 17:13

Strider83 wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 17:06:
I am too late to this keyboard warrior neck-beard party? Lets all pile on this guy! We are all saints ourselves! Never done anything inappropriate in our lives! Love us!

I, for one, have never had non-consensual sex with a woman. Does that make me a neckbeard? Doubtful. I'd wager the bulk of people here haven't. Have you? You seem to think only saints haven't, and you say you're not a saint, so I guess, are we to assume you've raped someone?

I have not. And I feel pretty comfortable judging those that have without thinking the line between saint and not saint is simply whether you've taken advantage of a woman or not.

Jun 23, 2020, 17:06
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 17:06
Jun 23, 2020, 17:06

I am too late to this keyboard warrior neck-beard party? Lets all pile on this guy! We are all saints ourselves! Never done anything inappropriate in our lives! Love us!

Jun 23, 2020, 17:00
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 17:00
Jun 23, 2020, 17:00

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2020, 23:44:
MoreLuckThanSkill used "apparently" and "seem." Really now, people need to stop translating words like "apparently," "seem," and "indicating" into factual claims. We're all making guesses and posting opinions, so I think it's inappropriate to ask "what is wrong with you?" Please put down the pitchforks.

Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?

Apparently I was misunderstood. In no way am I saying being drunk justifies any crime. I meant to say when everyone is admitting they were 'blackout' drunk years ago, maybe it's hard to know what happened, in regards to one of the ... 4th hand twitter recounts of an event? Other incidents, as I said, seem to clearly and obviously be sexual assault. Anyway Avellone already basically admitted guilt, so there you go. As I said initially, yet another semi-famous person with no self control.

Jun 23, 2020, 16:50
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 16:50
Jun 23, 2020, 16:50

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:16:
"You could slap your secretary on the ass and she'd find it funny! These days, when you tell a woman that she's gained too much weight for you to date but you'd certainly give her a roll in the hay, she gets offended. When you tell a black man that your grandpappy used to own people like him, he gets angry. Why can't we go back to the good old days when white men could say and do whatever they wanted and everyone else had to laugh or else? We need to go back to that! Make America Great Again. For white people to not have to be polite or respectful, yet everyone else needs to towards us!"
Yes! MAGA!!!! Bring back the good old days! >swings confederate battle flag wildly<

I kid.

Jun 23, 2020, 16:26
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 16:26
Jun 23, 2020, 16:26

jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 16:16:

I have a drinking game where I drink every time someone makes a joke about drinking games.

The question is, am I drinking for your post, or your post AND my post?

Jun 23, 2020, 16:20
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 16:20
Jun 23, 2020, 16:20

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 12:50:
Agreed. In fact, she admitted that he had been drinking heavily, too. Therefore, she is also guilty of inappropriate conduct with an intoxicated person. Right? Or does his intoxication not count? Are you suggesting that a man is responsible for his actions while drunk, but a woman is not? You're saying a woman is not capable of being as responsible as a man?

What's wrong with you?

If she tried to take advantage of him, under the influence or otherwise, and the only reason she didn't was she couldn't get him hard (equivalent of him only stopping because he realized she was on her period), then yes she is 100% in the wrong to. And I'd be shouting in his defense. However she wasn't trying to take advantage of him. So false equivalency.
-Harlequin
Admin of Cyberpunk 2077 Online News
https://cyberpunk2077online.news/

Jun 23, 2020, 16:16
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 16:16
Jun 23, 2020, 16:16

Your choice is clear.

Jun 23, 2020, 16:12
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 16:12
Jun 23, 2020, 16:12

Quinn wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 11:44:
Due process starts to mean less and less. Whatever all of you fine examples think (I mean feel, of course), how about we all reserve our judgment and let the judicial system work its charm.

Probably because he hasn't been criminally charged?
Your choice is clear.
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older