MS Ending Mixer

In post on Xbox Wire Microsoft announces they are giving up on Mixer and will work to transition the Mixer community over to their BFFs at Facebook Gaming. The Mixer Blog explains what users can do with Mixer spacebux in the scant month before the changeover completes, and those with balances or subscriptions after the shift to the new platform will receive an Xbox Gift Card in compensation. The Verge reports that streaming stars with big money Mixer exclusivity deals like Tyler "Ninja" Blevins, Cory "King Gothalion" Michael, and Michael "Shroud" Grzesiek are being released from their contracts and are now free to stream elsewhere. According to a tweet from Rod Breslau Ninja and Shroud got full payouts (made $30 million and $10 million, respectively) after refusing offers of double that for Facebook exclusivity (thanks The Loadout). Microsoft's explanation of why they are making this change definitely includes words:
Ultimately, the success of Partners and streamers on Mixer is dependent on our ability to scale the service for them as quickly and broadly as possible. It became clear that the time needed to grow our own livestreaming community to scale was out of measure with the vision and experiences we want to deliver to gamers now, so we’ve decided to close the operations side of Mixer and help the community transition to a new platform. To better serve our community’s needs, we’re teaming up with Facebook to enable the Mixer community to transition to Facebook Gaming.

Beginning today, Facebook Gaming will make it easy for anyone in the Mixer community to join, if they choose to do so. We will work to transition the Mixer community over the next few weeks. Starting on July 22, all Mixer sites and apps will redirect users to Facebook Gaming. For Mixer Partners, streamers, and viewers, we expect you’ll have many questions – you can find more details on how we will support the transition to Facebook Gaming on the Mixer blog here.

Transitioning the Mixer community is a key part of a broader effort that Xbox and Facebook Gaming are embarking on, bringing new experiences and opportunities to Facebook, where every month more than 700 million people play a game, watch a gaming video, or interact in a gaming Group.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: MS Ending Mixer
Jun 24, 2020, 07:55
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 24, 2020, 07:55
Jun 24, 2020, 07:55

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 22:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 19:31:
OpticNerve wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 18:54:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 16:11:
After reading a couple of articles on this I'm pretty convinced we haven't heard the whole story yet. Why pore millions into exclusive contracts for big stars only to turn around and say, "Nevermind." I mean I guess that sort of thing happens sometimes, but usually there is a pressing reason for it. If there was one here, I haven't seen tales of it.

I think that it was just a desperate move on Microsoft's part to try and lure over big name streamers with cash and hoping that their huge audiences would follow, thus bringing in a bunch of new users to Mixer and making it the streaming service to be. Obviously it didn't end up working as they had hoped (Microsoft isn't the brightest company out there after all - remember the monstrosity that was GfWL and what they've done with Windows 10 lately). Most general consumers sadly don't give a rat's ass behind the crappy tech of a service as long as it's popular to others. If that were the case, Facebook, Twitter, Zoom and Twitch would not be as popular as they are.
I don't disagree. It just seems so sudden. If this happened 2-3 years down the road I wouldn't have said anything. They cried uncle pretty damn quick.

Is the impending launch of the Sexbox not a pressing reason for a sudden shift? They have this vision for incorporating streaming into their next-gen user experience, so they spent three years trying to grow their own platform to a certain size for that purpose. They didn't reach whatever goal they had set, so now they're partnering with Facebook, instead. Apparently they need that streaming audience to be there on launch day, not eventually, maybe, down the road sometime.

If the ex-box uses Facebook integration for streaming then that would be a laugh. Might as well call it the Zucker-Box at that that point. PS5 looks better by the hours.

Jun 23, 2020, 22:53
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 22:53
Jun 23, 2020, 22:53

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 22:37:
After reading a couple of articles on this I'm pretty convinced we haven't heard the whole story yet. Why pore millions into exclusive contracts for big stars only to turn around and say, "Nevermind." I mean I guess that sort of thing happens sometimes, but usually there is a pressing reason for it. If there was one here, I haven't seen tales of it.

I think that it was just a desperate move on Microsoft's part to try and lure over big name streamers with cash and hoping that their huge audiences would follow, thus bringing in a bunch of new users to Mixer and making it the streaming service to be. Obviously it didn't end up working as they had hoped (Microsoft isn't the brightest company out there after all - remember the monstrosity that was GfWL and what they've done with Windows 10 lately). Most general consumers sadly don't give a rat's ass behind the crappy tech of a service as long as it's popular to others. If that were the case, Facebook, Twitter, Zoom and Twitch would not be as popular as they are.
I don't disagree. It just seems so sudden. If this happened 2-3 years down the road I wouldn't have said anything. They cried uncle pretty damn quick.

Is the impending launch of the Sexbox not a pressing reason for a sudden shift? They have this vision for incorporating streaming into their next-gen user experience, so they spent three years trying to grow their own platform to a certain size for that purpose. They didn't reach whatever goal they had set, so now they're partnering with Facebook, instead. Apparently they need that streaming audience to be there on launch day, not eventually, maybe, down the road sometime.

Good point.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 23, 2020, 22:37
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 22:37
Jun 23, 2020, 22:37

Jun 23, 2020, 19:31
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 19:31
Jun 23, 2020, 19:31

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 23, 2020, 18:54
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 18:54
Jun 23, 2020, 18:54

Jun 23, 2020, 16:11
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 16:11
Jun 23, 2020, 16:11

Jun 23, 2020, 15:42
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 15:42
Jun 23, 2020, 15:42

jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 15:16:
DarkCntry wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 07:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2020, 21:46:
The reason Mixer failed is because everyone hates paid exclusives. If they had just let Ninja and Shroud stream on both platforms so viewers could choose which platform they wanted to watch streams on, it would have been fine.
For partners, Twitch has the same clause in their contracts about exclusivity of streaming. If pushed, Twitch reserves the right (and it has been done before) to revoke the contract if they find any of their partners have been actively streaming on 'competitor services'.

I do believe that each of the platforms have similar clauses in regards to contractual obligations.
Yeah, I was really trying to draw a parallel to Epic and their paid exclusives, and how no one complains about it for streaming. I guess it wasn't obvious.
This was even hard for me to connect the dots and ya'll know how I am when it comes to the store w/no shopping kart.
Next time add more dots.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Jun 23, 2020, 15:16
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 15:16
Jun 23, 2020, 15:16

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 07:55:
The reason Mixer failed is because everyone hates paid exclusives. If they had just let Ninja and Shroud stream on both platforms so viewers could choose which platform they wanted to watch streams on, it would have been fine.
For partners, Twitch has the same clause in their contracts about exclusivity of streaming. If pushed, Twitch reserves the right (and it has been done before) to revoke the contract if they find any of their partners have been actively streaming on 'competitor services'.

I do believe that each of the platforms have similar clauses in regards to contractual obligations.
Yeah, I was really trying to draw a parallel to Epic and their paid exclusives, and how no one complains about it for streaming. I guess it wasn't obvious.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

removed
Jun 23, 2020, 11:54
Cutter

removed Jun 23, 2020, 11:54
Jun 23, 2020, 11:54
 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 23, 2020, 12:12.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Jun 23, 2020, 09:56
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 09:56
Jun 23, 2020, 09:56

Tom wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 09:53:
Classic Microsoft.

Exactly... Silverlight cough cough

Jun 23, 2020, 09:53
Tom
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 09:53
Jun 23, 2020, 09:53
Tom

Classic Microsoft.

Jun 23, 2020, 08:19
Beamer

Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 08:19
Jun 23, 2020, 08:19
 Beamer

/S, haha

Jun 23, 2020, 08:13
Verno

Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 08:13
Jun 23, 2020, 08:13
 Verno

I disagree good sir. Mixer was an excellent product at its core, offering extremely low latency streaming of 4k content. The issue was their platform integrations were terrible and they didn't do enough to get third party software packages to adopt it. Without that streamers aren't going to show up. Twitch is a glorified IRC server and it makes it incredibly easy to extend, that's part of why streamers love it. Mixer had a half baked API and did no real work with third parties to help improve or extend the chat experience which is an oft ignored but core part of streaming. The paid exclusives helped a bit with numbers bumps but ultimately couldn't keep an audience around because the actual chat portion of Mixer is bad.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Jun 23, 2020, 07:55
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 23, 2020, 07:55
Jun 23, 2020, 07:55

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2020, 22:01:
30 million dollars to play a kid's video game. Jesus Christ, it's no wonder this world is going up in flames. WWIII can't come soon enough.

It's pretty on-character for you to denigrate people on their line of work because you feel it's beneath you...so good job.

Jun 22, 2020, 22:01
Cutter

Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 22:01
Jun 22, 2020, 22:01
 Cutter

30 million dollars to play a kid's video game. Jesus Christ, it's no wonder this world is going up in flames. WWIII can't come soon enough.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Jun 22, 2020, 21:46
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 21:46
Jun 22, 2020, 21:46

Jun 22, 2020, 21:34
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 21:34
Jun 22, 2020, 21:34

Really? They are giving up already? Weird.

Jun 22, 2020, 21:26
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 21:26
Jun 22, 2020, 21:26

Mixer - Loads stream within 1 second for me
Twitch - Loads streams within 40 seconds for me... so yeah, pretty clear which I prefered no?

This sucks actually, Facebook gaming ain't an alternative for those of us who would rather stay away from that nightmare corp.

Jun 22, 2020, 21:18
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 21:18
Jun 22, 2020, 21:18

Bummer, and a little surprised. Mixer had some better tech going on. Plus it had the potential to become the more go-to for game watching, while Twitch seems to continue to grow more popular for... er, yoga pants.

Jun 22, 2020, 20:52
Re: MS Ending Mixer Jun 22, 2020, 20:52
Jun 22, 2020, 20:52

So this is why Microsoft is moving everything over to Steam as well.
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older