More EA Games Come to Steam

Electronic Arts announces 25+ EA games are coming to Steam some of which launched today. It was last October that it was announced that EA titles would return to Steam following their departure in the dawning days of Origin. Now this reconciliation takes a new leap forward, and they say that the EA Access subscription service is headed to Steam soon as well. Here's word:
Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) launched the first wave of 25+ EA games on Steam, with more on the way. Starting today, players can explore BioWare™’s award-winning Role-Playing Games - Dragon Age™: Inquisition and Dragon Age II, experience high-speed, white-knuckle driving action in Need for Speed™ Heat, Need for Speed: Rivals and Need for Speed (2016) and battle it out in the wacky, fun and over-the-top shooter, Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™. A selection of the bold and innovative games from EA’s indie development partners like Unravel, Unravel II, Fe and Sea of Solitude will also become available. Additionally, these games and many others will be available as part of an EA Access subscription on Steam that will launch to players later this summer.

“We want to make it easy to play the games you love, wherever you want to play. Delivering games to the Steam community is an important step in achieving this goal,” said Mike Blank, SVP, Strategic Growth. “Not only are we excited to have our games on Steam, but we look forward to bringing them even more value when our subscription becomes available in the Summer.”

New EA games developed for PC will also launch on Steam alongside other platforms, including the Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection which launches tomorrow, providing mod support with the Steam Workshop as this game is one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL. The compilation, which was made for and with the help of the community, is comprised of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and their three expansion packs - Covert Ops, Counterstrike and The Aftermath.

EA Access* gives members access to a broad portfolio of EA games, valuable member benefits and discounts on full EA game purchases, expansions and in-game items. EA has been offering subscription services since 2014, and currently reaches players on the Xbox One, PlayStation®4 and Origin™ platforms. For more information on EA’s subscription services, please visit www.ea.com/subscribe. More information on games bound for Steam coming soon.

*CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY. SEE EA.COM/EA-ACCESS/TERMS AND EA.COM/EA-ACCESS FOR DETAILS.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam
Jun 9, 2020, 20:09
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 9, 2020, 20:09
Jun 9, 2020, 20:09

No one knows? Oh well...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 6, 2020, 15:10
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 6, 2020, 15:10
Jun 6, 2020, 15:10

RogueSix wrote on Jun 6, 2020, 14:31:
No. The point was you wanted "evidence". As if it wasn't clear as day that Steam is tracking its users. Those numerous suggestion lists aren't spawning from thin air and Steam themselves mention "machine learning" as a method they employ to track their users. Where else would that data be coming from other than extensive user tracking and user behavior analysis? Yes, you can avoid looking at the numerous suggestion lists but you can not avoid their tracking every step you make in the client and the "machine learning" mechanics which contribute to those lists by analyzing your every preference. Not looking at the lists accomplishes nothing in terms of avoiding the underlying tracking. That's like an ostrich digging their head in the sand and believing that no one can see you anymore.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes, obviously Steam tracks their users, I am not refuting that. And I'm sure they make game recommendations based on that tracking. What I am asking (honestly I don't know) is has it been shown how much of that tracking is available to Steam for users like me who play their games almost exclusively off-line? That's what I was looking for evidence of. It could be the same, is it? If it is they are hiding the fact they know I have actually played 700 hours of NMS.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2020, 18:56.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 6, 2020, 14:31
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 6, 2020, 14:31
Jun 6, 2020, 14:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 6, 2020, 08:04:
RogueSix wrote on Jun 6, 2020, 03:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 21:28:
For a finely tuned, highly efficient sales and advertising platform they are failing in a major way with me. I can definitely say I've never bought something because I saw it on Steam. As for all those suggestions and recommendations -- never seen any of them. I have Steam setup to land on the library page and have it reduced to just my games.

Gotcha. So because YOU are avoiding the store page like the plague it must be true for everyone else as well (nearly 100 million active users per month). That is a very realistic assumption. Almost.
Don't put words in my mouth -- I specifically said it was "failing in a major way with me." The point was you can avoid that stuff and it isn't hard to do so.

No. The point was you wanted "evidence". As if it wasn't clear as day that Steam is tracking its users. Those numerous suggestion lists aren't spawning from thin air and Steam themselves mention "machine learning" as a method they employ to track their users. Where else would that data be coming from other than extensive user tracking and user behavior analysis?
Yes, you can avoid looking at the numerous suggestion lists but you can not avoid their tracking every step you make in the client and the "machine learning" mechanics which contribute to those lists by analyzing your every preference. Not looking at the lists accomplishes nothing in terms of avoiding the underlying tracking. That's like an ostrich digging their head in the sand and believing that no one can see you anymore.

As for Steam being a highly efficient sales platform you are obviously an outlier. They are having all those suggestion lists on the front page because it works. The vast majority of users certainly do use the store pages and impulse buy games based on those lists. That is also why you get collectible trading cards from going through your discovery queue during some events like the xmas sale. Valve and the publishers want gamers to use those sales tools. I'm sure they are making a nice extra buck from impulse purchases when people are surfing their discovery queues during an event. That's what Steam is primarily made for. DRM, sales and user analysis. For Valve and the publishers first and foremost.

Jun 6, 2020, 08:04
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 6, 2020, 08:04
Jun 6, 2020, 08:04

RogueSix wrote on Jun 6, 2020, 03:07:
For a finely tuned, highly efficient sales and advertising platform they are failing in a major way with me. I can definitely say I've never bought something because I saw it on Steam. As for all those suggestions and recommendations -- never seen any of them. I have Steam setup to land on the library page and have it reduced to just my games.

Gotcha. So because YOU are avoiding the store page like the plague it must be true for everyone else as well (nearly 100 million active users per month). That is a very realistic assumption. Almost.
Don't put words in my mouth -- I specifically said it was "failing in a major way with me." The point was you can avoid that stuff and it isn't hard to do so.

Jun 6, 2020, 03:07
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 6, 2020, 03:07
Jun 6, 2020, 03:07

Jun 5, 2020, 21:28
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 21:28
Jun 5, 2020, 21:28

RogueSix wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 19:42:
....It seems to me that many gamers have become so accustomed to the Steam client that they can not see the forest for the trees anymore. The reality is that Steam is a finely-tuned, highly efficient sales and advertising platform (a suggestion list IS advertising) with great sales and analysis tools for the sellers/publishers.

Hope you are safe in your bunker.

Jun 5, 2020, 19:51
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 19:51
Jun 5, 2020, 19:51

RogueSix wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 19:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:44:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:19:
You do know you can play games off-line with Steam, right? I have almost 700 hours in my NMS save, but Steam thinks I've played for 30 minutes. I've gone months of gaming through Steam without ever going on-line. And when I'm done with the game session, I exit the Steam process. If you are playing an on-line game, well... someone is tracking you, not only Steam.
Even offline, the steam app is running. It has to be used to launch the game... signed in or not.
Okay, I agree. And...? What exactly is it you think Steam might be doing to you or with some amount of data that isn't being displayed in your account? Has someone caught the Steam application when you are using it in off-line mode sending significant amounts of data? Or is it just doing a quick validation check as GOG does, that you have actually purchased the game you are launching? Listen, I dislike "tracking" too (who doesn't?) it is my main complaint with Win10. Personally, I think the tracking Win10 does borders on criminal. But I haven't seen or heard any evidence of significant and unseemly tracking by the off-line Steam application. If that evidence exists, I'd like to read it. Heck, I might join you and start railing against Steam myself.

The "evidence" is in the Steam client app and store itself. A few items they are using the collected data for:

- For their suggestions like what to play next
- For their "players like you love" suggestions
- For their "because you played [fill in a game you played recently]" suggestions
- For their SteamLabs recommendations
- For the discovery queue
- For curator recommendations
- For the "From developers and publishers that you know" suggestions
- For "trending among friends" suggestions

... and that's just from the store front page without going into any further details and also leaving out the obvious stuff like them tracking play time and stuff like that.
Steam analyzes and tracks everything you do within their app including invisible pixels to track mouse usage so they know where to prominently place the sales suggestions based on heatmaps.

It's not like Valve is even trying to cover up any of their extensive datamining. When they announced the "what to play next" suggestions feature recently they said...

Using machine learning to make informed suggestions, the feature is designed to help users with extensive libraries decide which of their games to play next.

They are obviously running whole datacenters for deep-mining user info.
This shouldn't really surprise anyone since Steam is a storefront first and foremost so it is sharing many user tracking features with the likes of Amazon.

It is also why publishers love Steam. The publishers get lots and lots of data on their players not just through proprietary telemetry but they are also receiving a lot of interesting statistics from Steam like how many people have wishlisted a certain game to name a very obvious highly interesting publisher "tool".

It seems to me that many gamers have become so accustomed to the Steam client that they can not see the forest for the trees anymore. The reality is that Steam is a finely-tuned, highly efficient sales and advertising platform (a suggestion list IS advertising) with great sales and analysis tools for the sellers/publishers.
According to some the shopping cart cancels all negatives and would have no problem if steam shot someone on fifth avenue.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 5, 2020, 19:42
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 19:42
Jun 5, 2020, 19:42

You do know you can play games off-line with Steam, right? I have almost 700 hours in my NMS save, but Steam thinks I've played for 30 minutes. I've gone months of gaming through Steam without ever going on-line. And when I'm done with the game session, I exit the Steam process. If you are playing an on-line game, well... someone is tracking you, not only Steam.
Even offline, the steam app is running. It has to be used to launch the game... signed in or not.
Okay, I agree. And...? What exactly is it you think Steam might be doing to you or with some amount of data that isn't being displayed in your account? Has someone caught the Steam application when you are using it in off-line mode sending significant amounts of data? Or is it just doing a quick validation check as GOG does, that you have actually purchased the game you are launching? Listen, I dislike "tracking" too (who doesn't?) it is my main complaint with Win10. Personally, I think the tracking Win10 does borders on criminal. But I haven't seen or heard any evidence of significant and unseemly tracking by the off-line Steam application. If that evidence exists, I'd like to read it. Heck, I might join you and start railing against Steam myself.

The "evidence" is in the Steam client app and store itself. A few items they are using the collected data for:

- For their suggestions like what to play next
- For their "players like you love" suggestions
- For their "because you played [fill in a game you played recently]" suggestions
- For their SteamLabs recommendations
- For the discovery queue
- For curator recommendations
- For the "From developers and publishers that you know" suggestions
- For "trending among friends" suggestions

... and that's just from the store front page without going into any further details and also leaving out the obvious stuff like them tracking play time and stuff like that.
Steam analyzes and tracks everything you do within their app including invisible pixels to track mouse usage so they know where to prominently place the sales suggestions based on heatmaps.

It's not like Valve is even trying to cover up any of their extensive datamining. When they announced the "what to play next" suggestions feature recently they said...

Using machine learning to make informed suggestions, the feature is designed to help users with extensive libraries decide which of their games to play next.

They are obviously running whole datacenters for deep-mining user info.
This shouldn't really surprise anyone since Steam is a storefront first and foremost so it is sharing many user tracking features with the likes of Amazon.

It is also why publishers love Steam. The publishers get lots and lots of data on their players not just through proprietary telemetry but they are also receiving a lot of interesting statistics from Steam like how many people have wishlisted a certain game to name a very obvious highly interesting publisher "tool".

It seems to me that many gamers have become so accustomed to the Steam client that they can not see the forest for the trees anymore. The reality is that Steam is a finely-tuned, highly efficient sales and advertising platform (a suggestion list IS advertising) with great sales and analysis tools for the sellers/publishers.

Jun 5, 2020, 14:08
Jivaro

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 14:08
Jun 5, 2020, 14:08
 Jivaro

I agree with wtf_man, in terms of the concept, I just caved in a long time ago. I chose convenience and that was made easier by the fact that I am becoming less and less up to date with this hobby and IT in general as I get older.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:59
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:59
Jun 5, 2020, 13:59

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:27:
If you're running Windows 10 you have no idea of what's running in the background. If things running in the background are an issue than I don't know what to say.

I don't run Windows 10. Gaming Rig is still Windows 7 at this point, and not past SP1 in updates so there's no injected spyware from later updates. I mostly keep my gaming rig offline.

Other machines that do run Windows... running Server 2019 Standard as a workstation OS, with as much disabled and blocked as possible (Yes, even windows server runs consumer crap). Future OS for Gaming rig will probably be Server, because it has the least amount of crap to uninstall / block.

And, of course, my main machine is Linux which I'm on right now working from home. (Currently Manjaro, but I switch distros every couple of years)
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jun 5, 2020, 13:27
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:27
Jun 5, 2020, 13:27

wtf_man wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:14:
Not only can you play Steam sp games in Off-Line mode, you can play them without any internet connection at all.
I doubt steam, in Off-Line mode, is sending very much data on my air gapped PC.

I disconnect my PC too. But that doesn't stop the requirement for it to be up and running just to launch your game. Again... at that point it is garbage running in the background that I don't want running.
If you're running Windows 10 you have no idea of what's running in the background. If things running in the background are an issue than I don't know what to say.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:19
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:19
Jun 5, 2020, 13:19

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:14:
Not only can you play Steam sp games in Off-Line mode, you can play them without any internet connection at all.

I disconnect my PC too. But that doesn't stop the requirement for it to be up and running just to launch your game. Again... at that point it is garbage running in the background that I don't want running.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:17
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:17
Jun 5, 2020, 13:17

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 13:03:
Yup.
I'm replying not to keep the conversation going or get the last word, just to make sure you know I'm not disagreeing with you or criticizing you.

I mean, I guess I respectfully disagree with you about how important it is, but you're not calling for the downfall of society, just options, haha. Options are great for when we have different personal opinions on how important things are.

Not taking your replies as negative at all.

I'm just old fashioned when it comes to my privacy, unlike younger generations that take it for granted in the cell-phone age. I guess it's because I'm a big fan of The Prisoner from the late 60's and of course the lessons to be learned from Orwell's 1984.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:14
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:14
Jun 5, 2020, 13:14

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Jun 5, 2020, 13:03
Beamer

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 13:03
Jun 5, 2020, 13:03
 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 12:48:
Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 12:34:
You're perfectly allowed to be anal. I pointed out that it wasn't advertising not so you think it's fine, just so those that only care about advertising do.

Others care about more than just advertising. It's your right. I'd argue, though, that it's also a right of someone making a game to want that as part of the transaction, and therefore a right to say no to their product and look elsewhere. As you say, you do this frequently in deciding what and where to buy.

Telemetry or Advertising tracking... they are both bad when I do not give my permission, or am forced to give permission against my will. It's mainly about control and privacy. I am very discriminating about what I allow my PC to transmit and what I will not allow.

If there was an opt-out, perhaps I would allow it for certain buggy software that need telemetry reporting... but to force it down my throat... not gonna happen.

Yup.
I'm replying not to keep the conversation going or get the last word, just to make sure you know I'm not disagreeing with you or criticizing you.

I mean, I guess I respectfully disagree with you about how important it is, but you're not calling for the downfall of society, just options, haha. Options are great for when we have different personal opinions on how important things are.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:48
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 12:48
Jun 5, 2020, 12:48

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 12:34:
You're perfectly allowed to be anal. I pointed out that it wasn't advertising not so you think it's fine, just so those that only care about advertising do.

Others care about more than just advertising. It's your right. I'd argue, though, that it's also a right of someone making a game to want that as part of the transaction, and therefore a right to say no to their product and look elsewhere. As you say, you do this frequently in deciding what and where to buy.

Telemetry or Advertising tracking... they are both bad when I do not give my permission, or am forced to give permission against my will. It's mainly about control and privacy. I am very discriminating about what I allow my PC to transmit and what I will not allow.

If there was an opt-out, perhaps I would allow it for certain buggy software that need telemetry reporting... but to force it down my throat... not gonna happen.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:34
Beamer

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 12:34
Jun 5, 2020, 12:34
 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 12:30:

At that point it's just garbage running in the background that I don't want running. I'm anal about that, I guess.

As for GOG... there is no check. There is nothing running. I do not even have galaxy installed. I always download the "Offline Backup Game Installers"... which is not associated with galaxy or any other launcher. It installs the game to a directory and makes a shortcut on your desktop and that's it. You double click the shortcut and the game launches. Nothing else running in the background.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:30
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 12:30
Jun 5, 2020, 12:30

At that point it's just garbage running in the background that I don't want running. I'm anal about that, I guess.

As for GOG... there is no check. There is nothing running. I do not even have galaxy installed. I always download the "Offline Backup Game Installers"... which is not associated with galaxy or any other launcher. It installs the game to a directory and makes a shortcut on your desktop and that's it. You double click the shortcut and the game launches. Nothing else running in the background.

Jun 5, 2020, 10:44
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 10:44
Jun 5, 2020, 10:44

Jun 5, 2020, 10:36
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 5, 2020, 10:36
Jun 5, 2020, 10:36

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:25:
No one is monitoring your in game play for advertising. They're doing it to see what gun you're using, where you're dying, what enemies you're struggling with, what secrets you're not seeing, where your frame rate is dropping, so they can learn.

I get this is still bad to many, but no advertiser cares that you used the shotgun more than the rocket launcher.

Doesn't matter what data they are getting. I'm in control of my PC, not them. Maybe I don't want to give any telemetry. I strongly object to phoning home against my will... regardless of the data collected. I actively block stuff like that from Windows etc., because... well fschk them.... they don't have my permission, and no... I don't care what the EULA says. Being forced to click "ok "doesn't mean I agree. They don't respect my desire not to participate in their data collection... I won't respect their EULA. It's that simple.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older