19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Metaverse
Jun 5, 2020, 16:39
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 16:39
Jun 5, 2020, 16:39

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 15:58:
Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:53:
I would just slap DD-WRT or Tomato onto a compatible consumer router then. You can have the features you want and still have the compact box/etc.

Here's the list of supported devices.
Yeah, I mentioned the list. And even if no one said anything I could certainly make a selection, was just looking for any "this one is better than most" kind of thing. Not a big deal.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 5, 2020, 16:22
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 16:22
Jun 5, 2020, 16:22

The Linksys EA7500 AC1900 - Appears WalMart is dumping stock on this $100 dollar router , you could be lucky and get one for $20 or $30.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 5, 2020, 15:58
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 15:58
Jun 5, 2020, 15:58

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 10:53:
I would just slap DD-WRT or Tomato onto a compatible consumer router then. You can have the features you want and still have the compact box/etc.

Here's the list of supported devices.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 5, 2020, 15:55
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 15:55
Jun 5, 2020, 15:55

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 23:27:
I do dislike the two year House cycle -- it basically means they are always running for office. It is bad for the House member and bad for the people voting for them. Unfortunately it is in the Constitution, so the chances of that being modified are all but non-existent. I think term limits are probably less useful than most people believe, but overall it is probably better than having members of Congress who serve for 30 years or more. I'd support them, but I don't expect to see them passed any time soon.

Yeah, in the past my thought was: 5 terms max for the House (10 years), 2 terms max for the Senate (12 years), and max 20 years for the Supreme Court. However, that doesn't address the constant fundraising that congress and the president do while in office. So I read recently a new proposal: extend the terms and forbid the same person from ever running again. 6 years for president, 4 for house, senate stays the same at 6 years, and 20 years for Supreme Court. Then no one is fundraising while in office. The downside, each politician is a "lame duck" once elected, so do they have motivation to do anything?
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 5, 2020, 15:49
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 15:49
Jun 5, 2020, 15:49

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:45:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:09:
Facebook Let a Candidate Run a Shoot-the-Looters Ad This Week.

We have a lot of non-Americans on this site. Do you run political ads like this in your country?
The UK has much stricter rules on political advertising. But it doesn't do much good when the morons can still vote in an idiot like Boris.
Yeah, he really dodged a bullet with CV19.

Jun 5, 2020, 11:02
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 11:02
Jun 5, 2020, 11:02

Figures... my current router isn't supported. Oh well, no biggie... I'll use the dd-wrt compatibility list to help me select a new one. And the current one can be a "backup".

Edit: If anyone has a suggestion for a good one that would be great.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2020, 11:35.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 5, 2020, 10:53
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2020, 10:53
Jun 5, 2020, 10:53
 Verno

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage.
Jun 5, 2020, 10:35
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 5, 2020, 10:35
Jun 5, 2020, 10:35

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 09:35:
You can just slap a NIC or two (if you lack an onboard Intel) into an old box and run pfsense on that. Plug all of your devices into a switch and plug the switch into your pfsense box (LAN). Plug your uplink in the other NIC (WAN). You can get a Ubiquiti AP if you need wireless, they're going to be far better than anything else at that price point. You don't need to buy pfsense branded hardware, pfsense runs on a toaster and is totally free. I have an old low power fileserver that runs pfsense for the house. You don't have to use the CLI either, it has a good web UI these days and the documentation is stellar.

If you don't feel comfortable with this stuff then fair enough. It is a good learning project and I find it fun. You will certainly appreciate the control and information about your home network. But hey nothing wrong with just getting a tp-link router and calling it a day either, some people don't care about these things and I get that.
I would be capable of getting an "old box" and putting some NICs in it. But frankly, I'd prefer a more compact and lower maintenance solution like a manufactured "router". Good to hear it does have a useful graphics interface. While I could get through using CLI if provided sufficient documentation, unless it would be significantly easier than I'm guessing, I'd rather I didn't have to. I probably know more about this stuff than the average gamer, I did actually have a CCNA and worked for about six years as a Network Engineer using those skills. But that said, I don't have much desire to flex those muscles to implement a complex solution. I just want the basic stuff you get with a $75 mainstream router, with a couple of extra capabilities -- specifically the aforementioned tracking of bandwidth usage and log saving options...

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2020, 10:58.

Jun 5, 2020, 09:35
Verno

Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 5, 2020, 09:35
Jun 5, 2020, 09:35
 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 08:04:
*cough* $700 for a four port device/router? I'm sure it is capable of doing everything I would ever need. My pain threshold on the cost is a bit lower. Even if that is "MSRP" pricing and I could get it for a lot less, I'd like to see some evidence I have a chance of being knowledgeable enough to use it. My brain atrophy is increasing by the day..

You can just slap a NIC or two (if you lack an onboard Intel) into an old box and run pfsense on that. Plug all of your devices into a switch and plug the switch into your pfsense box (LAN). Plug your uplink in the other NIC (WAN). You can get a Ubiquiti AP if you need wireless, they're going to be far better than anything else at that price point. You don't need to buy pfsense branded hardware, pfsense runs on a toaster and is totally free. I have an old low power fileserver that runs pfsense for the house. You don't have to use the CLI either, it has a good web UI these days and the documentation is stellar.

If you don't feel comfortable with this stuff then fair enough. It is a good learning project and I find it fun. You will certainly appreciate the control and information about your home network. But hey nothing wrong with just getting a tp-link router and calling it a day either, some people don't care about these things and I get that.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jun 5, 2020, 08:04
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 5, 2020, 08:04
Jun 5, 2020, 08:04

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2020, 07:14:
My pfsense router gives me that usage plus I can do per device, per website, and so much more finely detailed information.

It allowed me to track down a misbehaving device in less than five minutes.
*cough* $700 for a four port device/router? I'm sure it is capable of doing everything I would ever need. My pain threshold on the cost is a bit lower. Even if that is "MSRP" pricing and I could get it for a lot less, I'd like to see some evidence I have a chance of being knowledgeable enough to use it. My brain atrophy is increasing by the day..

Jun 5, 2020, 07:14
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 5, 2020, 07:14
Jun 5, 2020, 07:14

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:15:
The only thing I miss from Comcast is they tracked my data usage and made the information available to me. It was interesting to me to see the wax and wane of my usage. Unfortunately my cheaper, faster, fiber connection does not provide that data to me. First world problems...

My pfsense router gives me that usage plus I can do per device, per website, and so much more finely detailed information.

It allowed me to track down a misbehaving device in less than five minutes.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jun 4, 2020, 23:29
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 23:29
Jun 4, 2020, 23:29

We have a lot of non-Americans on this site. Do you run political ads like this in your country?

Well, we don't have looters... and if we had, they wouldn't be armed to the teeth. So no, such an ad would never exist here in Europe. Maybe in France if things got really bad in their racial slums. And yes, that's a thing in France... but aside from that. If you put this on Facebook and Germans can see it, wouldn't German law apply?

And this is clearly an illegal ad here.

Jun 4, 2020, 23:27
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 23:27
Jun 4, 2020, 23:27

I do dislike the two year House cycle -- it basically means they are always running for office. It is bad for the House member and bad for the people voting for them. Unfortunately it is in the Constitution, so the chances of that being modified are all but non-existent. I think term limits are probably less useful than most people believe, but overall it is probably better than having members of Congress who serve for 30 years or more. I'd support them, but I don't expect to see them passed any time soon.

Jun 4, 2020, 23:17
Cutter

Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 23:17
Jun 4, 2020, 23:17
 Cutter

No. Nor any other. America is singularly unique in the world in that regard. The political machine in America is unlike any other country on earth by a wide margin. Politics is an all the time thing in the US, whereas it's a once every several years thing just about every place else.

Two things America seriously needs, term limits - 2 terms like the Prez would be good - and abolishing the 2 year limit for the House and 6 year terms for the Senate - make them both 4. The 2 year limit in particular is useless.

Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Jun 4, 2020, 21:39
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 4, 2020, 21:39
Jun 4, 2020, 21:39

MeanJim wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 21:31:
Get a router that does it. My past several routers, all of which I used 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle) do this. My current router came with a licensed, modified, commercial version of DD-WRT which has it built in too. They take forever to update their firmware, so I moved to Gargoyle after it took them months to patch an exploit.
Good suggestion. I know about DD-WRT never heard of the other two. What is the router you have that came with a commercial version of DD-WRT? This subject does raise the other thing I don't like about my current ISP. Their DHCP timeout is 15 minutes, so my log only goes back three days and is nothing but DHCP requests and responses. If I could get a router would track/show bandwidth usage and allow configuration of log files so I could get around "my problem", I'd be happy to buy that.

Jun 4, 2020, 21:31
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 4, 2020, 21:31
Jun 4, 2020, 21:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:15:
The only thing I miss from Comcast is they tracked my data usage and made the information available to me. It was interesting to me to see the wax and wane of my usage. Unfortunately my cheaper, faster, fiber connection does not provide that data to me. First world problems...

Get a router that does it. My past several routers, all of which I used 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle) do this. My current router came with a licensed, modified, commercial version of DD-WRT which has it built in too. They take forever to update their firmware, so I moved to Gargoyle after it took them months to patch an exploit.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Jun 4, 2020, 20:45
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 20:45
Jun 4, 2020, 20:45

The UK has much stricter rules on political advertising. But it doesn't do much good when the morons can still vote in an idiot like Boris.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 4, 2020, 20:15
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 4, 2020, 20:15
Jun 4, 2020, 20:15

Jun 4, 2020, 20:09
Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2020, 20:09
Jun 4, 2020, 20:09

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older