Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans

A video Interview on GameSpot talking with Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney. They report that he actually says that the games they've given away actually end up selling better in the long run. They say: "In an interview as part of our Play for All coverage, Sweeney explains that giving players the choice to try a genre for free has led to many recognizing their love for it, and inspired additional sales as a result. He doesn't mention specifics, but does say that developers have noticed an increase in sales across other platforms and stores after their games have been included as part of the free initiative." Moving on, as they note here, when they asked about plans for the Epic Games Store he told them they are hoping to launch a mobile versions:
"We'd like to bring the [Epic Games] Store to iOS in the future, and we will bring it to Android," Sweeney said. "We think it's a good way to help the industry [move] forward and it's another way where Epic as a game developer had built up this audience around Fortnite and learned how to operate a distribution platform on PC and Android.

"Now, as we've done with many things from the Unreal Engine to the Epic Online services, we open it up to all other developers to use with their games and are trying to serve the industry and provide a really interesting alternative to the ecosystem."
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans
Jun 3, 2020, 03:59
Kxmode

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 3, 2020, 03:59
Jun 3, 2020, 03:59
 Kxmode

MattyC wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 00:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 14:15:
MattyC wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 08:36:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 19:56:
It is also telling that at the first sign of "success," Epic looks at growth on another platform, demonstrating their consistent aversion to PC as a viable gaming platform.

Headscratch

Did you bother to read my follow-up comment?

I did, I didn't really feel that clarified that part of the statement, but that is why I didn't pick it apart or anything. It just seemed a strange connection to make - that they would put all this effort into a PC engine and PC store while they were averse to PC gaming. Everyone has their opinions, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. They have very clearly put their money where their mouth is on this, but that doesn't mean they are going to turn their back on Fortnight for iOS, that would just be dumb.

I initially based it on Tim and former Epic employee comments like CliffyB towards PC gaming. I don't have time to go digging through all the archives, but the general point is they, in so many words, repeatedly stated that PC gaming was inferior to other platforms.

My mistake was with "Epic Games Store Mobile Plans." I mistakenly read that as they're talking about going mobile for their games. Instead, it means they're considering taking their store mobile, which is similar to what Valve has done with the Steam app.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 3, 2020, 00:14
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 3, 2020, 00:14
Jun 3, 2020, 00:14

Kxmode wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 14:15:
It is also telling that at the first sign of "success," Epic looks at growth on another platform, demonstrating their consistent aversion to PC as a viable gaming platform.

Headscratch

I did, I didn't really feel that clarified that part of the statement, but that is why I didn't pick it apart or anything. It just seemed a strange connection to make - that they would put all this effort into a PC engine and PC store while they were averse to PC gaming. Everyone has their opinions, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. They have very clearly put their money where their mouth is on this, but that doesn't mean they are going to turn their back on Fortnight for iOS, that would just be dumb.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
Kxmode

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
 Kxmode

Headscratch

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jun 2, 2020, 10:11
Beamer

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 10:11
Jun 2, 2020, 10:11
 Beamer

This feels obvious, and "other platforms" makes it feel even more obvious.

Subnautica was given away for free. People played it and streamed it. Others saw those streams, or heard them talking, and bought it due to that, but probably on Steam.

Did the increase cover the cost of the promotion, let alone any potential cannibalization? He doesn't say. He just says an increase.

Jun 2, 2020, 09:37
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 09:37
Jun 2, 2020, 09:37

Dev wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 09:02:
"games they've given away actually end up selling better in the long run"

I mean valve has already proved this with steam over many years and sales. Many games see a long tail effect too after they put something on sale, especially if it's a big sale (or flash giveaway).
An enjoyed side effect by all. Advertising is advertising.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 2, 2020, 09:02
Dev

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 09:02
Jun 2, 2020, 09:02
 Dev

"games they've given away actually end up selling better in the long run"

I mean valve has already proved this with steam over many years and sales. Many games see a long tail effect too after they put something on sale, especially if it's a big sale (or flash giveaway).

Jun 2, 2020, 08:36
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 08:36
Jun 2, 2020, 08:36

Headscratch
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Jun 2, 2020, 06:18
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 06:18
Jun 2, 2020, 06:18

Given that for some games the micro-transaction revenue versus retail is lopsided to a huge degree, I can see where this makes sense, somewhat.

Other than that, the usual TS BS.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jun 2, 2020, 03:31
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 03:31
Jun 2, 2020, 03:31

It was my understanding Valve's Steam app doesn't let you buy games. However, it does indeed support this.

This has always baffled me with Steam on iOS. Apple has rejected Valve apps in the past that didn't follow some rule, but Steam somehow allows you to purchase games, bypassing Apple Pay, and I can't imagine Apple is getting a cut of those sales.

Jun 2, 2020, 01:58
J
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 01:58
Jun 2, 2020, 01:58
J

So this is like Shareware V2?
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Jun 2, 2020, 00:21
Kxmode

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 2, 2020, 00:21
Jun 2, 2020, 00:21
 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 19:00:
Man, I would really like to see player numbers of the EGS.
Like we have with Steamcharts, for example.

It's akin to a game touting the number of registered users as a benchmark of success versus the number of active users.

It is also telling that at the first sign of "success," Epic looks at growth on another platform, demonstrating their consistent aversion to PC as a viable gaming platform. It is behavior that is in stark contrast to Valve's unwavering and continuous support for PC gaming.

A follow-up to clarify my comment, "Epic looks at growth on another platform." It was my understanding Valve's Steam app doesn't let you buy games. However, it does indeed support this. I will say the UX on Steam mobile isn't great. What are the odds that Epic's mobile app will have a shopping cart before the desktop app and web site? I think that would be hilarious.

Jun 1, 2020, 22:20
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 22:20
Jun 1, 2020, 22:20

Hah, this is laughable. The entire point of spending millions on giveaways is to take sales from your competitors. Same as timed exclusivity. I'd love to see the data showing giveaways actually increasing sales of the same games on competing platforms.

Jun 1, 2020, 20:30
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 20:30
Jun 1, 2020, 20:30

So basically Epic is throwing free money at Steam and Uplay... like.. you wot mate?

Jun 1, 2020, 20:29
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 20:29
Jun 1, 2020, 20:29

It's like a president that thinks anything he does "good" and if it isn't then he just makes something up, which can't be checked. Hahaha_no
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jun 1, 2020, 20:23
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 20:23
Jun 1, 2020, 20:23

ChopperDan wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 20:18:
How about a Shopping Cart?

Come one, I mean who buys more than one game at a time during a sale? Thats just weird.

Jun 1, 2020, 20:18
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 20:18
Jun 1, 2020, 20:18

How about a Shopping Cart?

Jun 1, 2020, 20:06
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 20:06
Jun 1, 2020, 20:06

Devs and Publishers have to like that good news.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Jun 1, 2020, 19:56
Kxmode

Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 19:56
Jun 1, 2020, 19:56
 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 19:00:

It's akin to a game touting the number of registered users as a benchmark of success versus the number of active users.

It is also telling that at the first sign of "success," Epic looks at growth on another platform, demonstrating their consistent aversion to PC as a viable gaming platform. It is behavior that is in stark contrast to Valve's unwavering and continuous support for PC gaming.

Jun 1, 2020, 19:00
Re: Epic Freebies Increase Sales and Epic Games Store Mobile Plans Jun 1, 2020, 19:00
Jun 1, 2020, 19:00

I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older