Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised

The often disgruntled arm of the gaming community are not the only ones dissatisfied with Google Stadia. GameSpot reports that Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick stated that Google overpromised about their cloud game streaming service. Here's their report on comments Zelnick made during the recent Bernstein Annual Strategic Decisions Conference:
"Streaming technology is upon us," he said. "The launch of Stadia has been slow. I think there was some overpromising on what the technology could deliver and some consumer disappointment as a result."

Most of his comments, though, were focused on the business aspect. Zelnick was critical on that point as well, appearing to suggest that it doesn't have immediate plans for Stadia and stressing that it wasn't the "game-changer" it was made out to be.

"Anytime you broaden distribution you potentially broaden your audience, which is why we supported the release of Stadia with three titles initially and will continue to support high-quality streaming services as long as the business model makes sense. Over time I believe streaming will work... The belief that streaming was going to be transformative was based on a view that there were loads of people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case."
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised
Jun 1, 2020, 20:13
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 20:13
Jun 1, 2020, 20:13

theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 10:54:
Games have to be made for streaming... publishers and devs cannot just lazily port over console or PC titles and expect it to work. "Broaden your audience" is to make gamers out of casuals or non-gamers, and those people will be attracted to gorgeous graphics, better storytelling, and gameplay that does not hinge on reaction time... all of that is possible with gaming by stream, and can play to the strengths of the service.

Shouldn't be the case if the infrastructure is good enough. And things like TBS, city-builders, etc. should be completely playable without modification.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Jun 1, 2020, 20:11
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 20:11
Jun 1, 2020, 20:11

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 13:48:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 11:44:
I think the only way services like this will ever work is if you get a ton free games with your subscription, Netflix style. How else are you going to convince people to subscribe and downgrade their gaming experience?

I agree. The ownership model being "buy your games here and pay a fee!" is just weird and feels like a solution in search of a problem. They do have a free tier now but it has some limitations.

NVidia Now has it figured out. Bring your own games. And at just $5 per month.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Jun 1, 2020, 16:14
Cutter

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 16:14
Jun 1, 2020, 16:14
 Cutter

Gee, ya think? All you had to was play the ACO beta on Stadia to know it was all jive.

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Jun 1, 2020, 15:09
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 15:09
Jun 1, 2020, 15:09

Games have to be made for streaming... publishers and devs cannot just lazily port over console or PC titles and expect it to work. "Broaden your audience" is to make gamers out of casuals or non-gamers, and those people will be attracted to gorgeous graphics, better storytelling, and gameplay that does not hinge on reaction time... all of that is possible with gaming by stream, and can play to the strengths of the service.

I feel like the games that could work for streaming are games you would already subscribe to already, like MMORPGs.

Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
Verno

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
 Verno

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 11:44:
I think the only way services like this will ever work is if you get a ton free games with your subscription, Netflix style. How else are you going to convince people to subscribe and downgrade their gaming experience?

I agree. The ownership model being "buy your games here and pay a fee!" is just weird and feels like a solution in search of a problem. They do have a free tier now but it has some limitations.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Jun 1, 2020, 12:40
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 12:40
Jun 1, 2020, 12:40

This. Plus most games I enjoy, and I think most PC gamers in general, wouldn't put up with the latency, so streaming several genres will never become mainstream. (No pun intended)
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jun 1, 2020, 11:44
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 11:44
Jun 1, 2020, 11:44

Jun 1, 2020, 10:54
Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 10:54
Jun 1, 2020, 10:54

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older