May 31, 2020, 17:19
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse May 31, 2020, 17:19
May 31, 2020, 17:19
 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on May 31, 2020, 16:54:
jdreyer wrote on May 30, 2020, 18:20:
Jivaro wrote on May 30, 2020, 00:47:
They tried it peacefully and nothing really changed in any measurable way. Maybe this won't change anything either, I don't know. I do know that nobody in power is listening to anybody about anything in any peaceful manner lately. Minorities go online or tv and there is no shortage of white people telling them how to protest and how not to protest. The entire world is looking at the middle class white people of the USA like we are collectively the idiots of the planet because we vote to have our government try to police the world and we can't even handle our own shit. From the Karens to Trump to this cop....all the world is seeing is American white people being idiots.

I am not in favor of burning anything but I get it. When you are poor, literally everybody else is rich. Cost the rich enough money and they will make changes is the logic behind a destructive protester. (if they have a logic....obviously some folks just want to see the world burn) Quite frankly, if you don't get that I don't know what to tell you. It isn't like the middle class is some beacon of heroism for the poor. If folks want the poor to believe that people in power will listen to anything except violence and destruction they need to respond while the protests are still peaceful. Getting your thong twisted because people were kneeling during a song seems pretty lame now given the current situation....for example.

The funny part is that a flatter wealth curve actually makes the economy stronger. Economic activity is what makes a strong and rich economy, and rich people don't spend money. Poor, lower middle, and middle class people do, because they have to in order to survive and live. One would think as a nation we'd want that, regardless of who you are and what your politics are.

I agree...I would think so too. Our culture treats politics like a spectator sport with the same two teams competing for everything. We don't make decisions as Americans. We make decisions as the Donkeys or the Elephants, Red or Blue, Left or Right....that kind of shit. When 50% of the population always thinks they lost no matter what happens, I am not sure what you do with that.

JDreyer's point is what I've been saying here for wealth redistribution forever. I know the term is considered evil, although we constantly redistribute upwards, but if you give 1 man 1 million dollars, he'll spend maybe a third of it. If you give 1 million men 1 dollar, they'll spend it today. Our economy is fueled by spending, and lots of money with few people means lesser spending.

As to your other point, yes. We also have a certain demographic that sees hurting others and making them unhappy a big win. "Salty liberal tears" and such. But it does go beyond that. I think we've split into two fundamental viewpoints. One is about me. Me me mine me. I think this one is shortsighted, because it tends to err on the side of giving me something NOW at the expense of the long term, but maybe not, because we know they also want to give more to the wealthy with the belief that they may end up wealthy. The other side is more about giving others something, even if it hurts me. Two very different viewpoints, but pretty clear in how discussions flow. Conservatives never believe Liberals when they say they want to give something to poor people. It's called "virtue signaling," because they don't believe someone can hold a viewpoint of helping others at ones' own expense. Therefore, if someone is saying "hurt me to help them," there must be some gain expected.

Re: Morning Metaverse
May 31, 2020, 16:54
Jivaro

Re: Morning Metaverse May 31, 2020, 16:54
May 31, 2020, 16:54
 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on May 30, 2020, 18:20:
They tried it peacefully and nothing really changed in any measurable way. Maybe this won't change anything either, I don't know. I do know that nobody in power is listening to anybody about anything in any peaceful manner lately. Minorities go online or tv and there is no shortage of white people telling them how to protest and how not to protest. The entire world is looking at the middle class white people of the USA like we are collectively the idiots of the planet because we vote to have our government try to police the world and we can't even handle our own shit. From the Karens to Trump to this cop....all the world is seeing is American white people being idiots.

I am not in favor of burning anything but I get it. When you are poor, literally everybody else is rich. Cost the rich enough money and they will make changes is the logic behind a destructive protester. (if they have a logic....obviously some folks just want to see the world burn) Quite frankly, if you don't get that I don't know what to tell you. It isn't like the middle class is some beacon of heroism for the poor. If folks want the poor to believe that people in power will listen to anything except violence and destruction they need to respond while the protests are still peaceful. Getting your thong twisted because people were kneeling during a song seems pretty lame now given the current situation....for example.

The funny part is that a flatter wealth curve actually makes the economy stronger. Economic activity is what makes a strong and rich economy, and rich people don't spend money. Poor, lower middle, and middle class people do, because they have to in order to survive and live. One would think as a nation we'd want that, regardless of who you are and what your politics are.

I agree...I would think so too. Our culture treats politics like a spectator sport with the same two teams competing for everything. We don't make decisions as Americans. We make decisions as the Donkeys or the Elephants, Red or Blue, Left or Right....that kind of shit. When 50% of the population always thinks they lost no matter what happens, I am not sure what you do with that.

removed
May 30, 2020, 23:12
removed May 30, 2020, 23:12
May 30, 2020, 23:12

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 31, 2020, 00:21.
My prediction:
Joe Biden will come down with the Chinese Coof Coof so he won't have to debate Trump.

May 30, 2020, 21:35
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 21:35
May 30, 2020, 21:35

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2020, 21:10:
For anyone else that's open to reading words and not basing their worldview on movies...

This is what I was trying to explain to our resident blowhard:
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/29/21274462/george-floyd-protests-minnesota-national-guard

And that's not to say that there won't possibly be shooting... rioters could substantially attack police and national guard and shooting would be used as a last resort.
But it's not "martial law" (yet) and it's definitely not, and will never be, "shoot on sight".
@Sepharo, thank you for linking that.

I was up at 1:30 AM listening to the Mayor, Governor, Police Chief etc during a live news conference broadcast on MPR.org
They mentioned several times how they had to redeploy throughout the night to where the riots were occuring. With several 1000 rioters spread out all over the city in many different locales. And this was with an 8pm curfew.
500 National Guardsman and women aren't going to be enough, I suspect they'll be activating more and think they already should have.

Follow-up
The Minnesota National Guard deployed 4,100 soldiers Saturday.
source
This comment was edited on May 31, 2020, 08:04.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

May 30, 2020, 21:10
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 21:10
May 30, 2020, 21:10

For anyone else that's open to reading words and not basing their worldview on movies...

This is what I was trying to explain to our resident blowhard:
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/29/21274462/george-floyd-protests-minnesota-national-guard

And that's not to say that there won't possibly be shooting... rioters could substantially attack police and national guard and shooting would be used as a last resort.
But it's not "martial law" (yet) and it's definitely not, and will never be, "shoot on sight".

May 30, 2020, 18:20
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 18:20
May 30, 2020, 18:20

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 30, 2020, 10:41
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 10:41
May 30, 2020, 10:41
 Beamer

Drath71 wrote on May 30, 2020, 07:09:
DarkCntry wrote on May 29, 2020, 17:17:
Drath71 wrote on May 29, 2020, 16:53:
Do I need to reread the article?
Trump tries to end violence, and it's glorifying violence, but allowing the violence to continue is not?

The action he stated, about sending the National Guard, is fine...what he stated after that, which trumpets a very well known historical event regarding race, is definitely the problematic part.

What? Trumpets? I've never associated trumpets with anything regarding race, did I miss some heightened-race awareness sensitivity courses in college?
It's gonna be a rough 4 more years. Goofy Trump says "Go get some sunshine", Goofy left screams "stay inside, he wants you to burn in a gas chamber!!" Goofy Trump says "Stay Inside", Goofy Left screams "Go outside, he wants you to live in fear!!"

He never said either of those things. You're dramatically downplaying him while creating a strawman of the other side.

Why?

May 30, 2020, 08:43
Nimh

Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 08:43
May 30, 2020, 08:43
 Nimh

Trump tries to end violence, and it's glorifying violence, but allowing the violence to continue is not?

The action he stated, about sending the National Guard, is fine...what he stated after that, which trumpets a very well known historical event regarding race, is definitely the problematic part.

What? Trumpets? I've never associated trumpets with anything regarding race, did I miss some heightened-race awareness sensitivity courses in college?
It's gonna be a rough 4 more years. Goofy Trump says "Go get some sunshine", Goofy left screams "stay inside, he wants you to burn in a gas chamber!!" Goofy Trump says "Stay Inside", Goofy Left screams "Go outside, he wants you to live in fear!!"

Trumpet, transitive verb, “to sound or proclaim on or as if on a trumpet”

Whoosh snowflake.

May 30, 2020, 08:21
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 08:21
May 30, 2020, 08:21

Notice the exagerations, like Cutter´s, they are projections of the underlying turmoil in their mindset.
There is responsible people that leans to the right, to the left, or centrists, independents, etc.
But to some, if Trumps lies, makes ludicrous decisions, and says ridiculous things all is fine.
They are unable to see his many evident dangerous flaws.
Neither the perils and consequences of the tragic events unfolding now, and the need of deescalating, not of blazing guns.

Of course anyone criticizing are screaming goofy lefties.

May 30, 2020, 07:09
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 07:09
May 30, 2020, 07:09

May 30, 2020, 05:10
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 05:10
May 30, 2020, 05:10

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2020, 22:28:
Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2020, 17:42:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2020, 17:16:
Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2020, 14:14:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2020, 14:03:
How does his promise of reigning in lawbreakers glorify violence?

Because we use the rule of law to deal with lawbreakers... and that doesn't include on the spot execution.

Well I guess you've never heard of martial law. It's a thing that gets imposed on citizens when they're running wild unchecked looting, destroying public and private property and causing violent mayhem. Then the authorities are very much within their rights to shoot on sight. It hasn't been imposed yet but it will be if this nonsense keeps up. Regardless of what happened to career criminal George Floyd looting and burning things isn't legal or justified.

It doesn't surprise me that you'd celebrate execution without due process.
But no, the authorities are not within their rights to shoot on sight.
Martial Law hasn't been declared since before WW2, and even then "shooting on sight" was never practiced, and death at the hands of authorities operating under martial law extremely rare. National Guard have been used in police actions, not shooting.

Are you for real? So people should just be allowed to run wild in the streets doing whatever they want whenever they want? What fucking planet do you live on? That's the Purge! So I should be able to come by your house, rape, rob and murder because I feel like it?

Where did I say any of that?

May 30, 2020, 01:19
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 01:19
May 30, 2020, 01:19
 Beamer

But, but. Did they try a change.org petition to politely ask they not be murdered by the system?

May 30, 2020, 00:47
Jivaro

Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 00:47
May 30, 2020, 00:47
 Jivaro

This comment was edited on May 30, 2020, 00:58.

May 30, 2020, 00:21
Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2020, 00:21
May 30, 2020, 00:21

Beamer wrote on May 29, 2020, 23:47:
MLK knew why this would happen

"Riots are the language of the unheard" -MLK

He did indeed... You can't ignore a problem indefinitely, it'll come bite you in the ass. This problem has been festering for centuries in the US and you guys keep putting your heads in the sand.

As for some people's white privilege demonstrations here, here's a reminder:

"As a white man, I have privileges that many do not have. I can do, say, and be all of these things without fear. I'm with my black brothers and sisters

I won't be killed doing any of this:

I can go jogging (#AmaudArbery).
I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson).
I can ask for help after being in a car accident (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride).
I can have a laptop (#StephonClark).
I can leave a party to go somewhere safe (#JordanEdwards).
I can play loud music (#JordanDavis).
I can sell CDs (#AltonSterling).
I can sleep (#AiyanaJones)
I can walk from the corner store (#MikeBrown).
I can play cops and thieves (#TamirRice).
I can go to church (# Charleston9).
I can walk home with Skittles (#TrayvonMartin).
I can hold a hairbrush while leaving my own bachelor party (#SeanBell).
I can party on New Years (#OscarGrant).
I can have a normal traffic ticket (#SandraBland).
I can legally carry a weapon (#PhilandoCastille).
I can break down on a public road with car problems (#CoreyJones).
I can shop at Walmart (#JohnCrawford).
I can have a vehicle adapted to disabled persons (#TerrenceCrutcher).
I can read a book in my own car (#KeithScott).
I can be 10 years old taking a walk with my grandfather (#CliffordGlover).
I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese).
I can ask a question to a police officer (#RandyEvans).
I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood)
I can take out my wallet (#amadouDiallo).
I can run (#WalterScott).
I can breathe (#EricGarner).
I can live (#FreddieGray)."

May 29, 2020, 23:47
Beamer

Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 23:47
May 29, 2020, 23:47
 Beamer

MLK knew why this would happen

May 29, 2020, 22:51
Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 22:51
May 29, 2020, 22:51

RedEye9 wrote on May 29, 2020, 20:44:
outside agitators

That definitely can be a thing. Some are attracted to anarchy like a moth to a flame. It's difficult to describe the energy of chaos. Perhaps it's addictive.

May 29, 2020, 22:50
Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 22:50
May 29, 2020, 22:50

sigh

May 29, 2020, 22:28
Cutter

Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 22:28
May 29, 2020, 22:28
 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2020, 17:42:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2020, 17:16:
Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2020, 14:14:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2020, 14:03:
How does his promise of reigning in lawbreakers glorify violence?

Because we use the rule of law to deal with lawbreakers... and that doesn't include on the spot execution.

Well I guess you've never heard of martial law. It's a thing that gets imposed on citizens when they're running wild unchecked looting, destroying public and private property and causing violent mayhem. Then the authorities are very much within their rights to shoot on sight. It hasn't been imposed yet but it will be if this nonsense keeps up. Regardless of what happened to career criminal George Floyd looting and burning things isn't legal or justified.

It doesn't surprise me that you'd celebrate execution without due process.
But no, the authorities are not within their rights to shoot on sight.
Martial Law hasn't been declared since before WW2, and even then "shooting on sight" was never practiced, and death at the hands of authorities operating under martial law extremely rare. National Guard have been used in police actions, not shooting.

Are you for real? So people should just be allowed to run wild in the streets doing whatever they want whenever they want? What fucking planet do you live on? That's the Purge! So I should be able to come by your house, rape, rob and murder because I feel like it?
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

May 29, 2020, 21:49
Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 21:49
May 29, 2020, 21:49

CNN you reap what you sow
Not much "social distancing" going on.
Looks like the "CoronaScare" has lost it's "sparkle".

Edit:
Another lack of perspective:
olivia gatwood @oliviagatwood . 3h
burn it down. fuck property. fuck cops

James @JamesEBeatty . 2h
So you're cool if I burn your property?

olivia gatwood @oliviagatwood . 2h
this is a weak & unhelpful take

LOL Wow! Rioting for me but not for thee.
She has now "protected her tweets".
I'm sure Twitter will get right onto removing for "glorifying violence".
Not holding my breath though.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2020, 22:26.
My prediction:
Joe Biden will come down with the Chinese Coof Coof so he won't have to debate Trump.

May 29, 2020, 20:44
Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2020, 20:44
May 29, 2020, 20:44

All you have to do to get the barest hint of justice is burn your town down 2 nights in a row, while the mayor and police chief blame it on outside agitators and arrest black journalists AFTER they show their press credentials. AmuriKKKa.
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older